For those that hit driver 240~250yds, what is your loft?

I have my G400 max (Kuro Kage R flex) set at 11.5* and like the high trajectory it provides because it is satisfying to watch my ball the longer it is in the air, even though I may giving up a few yards. For those that hit driver a similar distance, what loft do you use?

10.5* Ping G400 max w/GD Tour AD IZ-4

16.5* Titleist TS2 FW

20* Titleist TS2 FW

22* TM M2 Hybrid

5~U Ping G710 w/recoils

54* Ping Glide 3.0 WS

58* Ping Glide 3.0 EYE2

Scotty Newport 2

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play the g400 LST 10-degree set to large plus. So it's 11 degree. I think that a true 10 degree would be better for me for distance however in the o setting I draw it more than in the large plus. I'm not sure why that is but more penetrating flight the more the ball curves for me. I grip the club with a neutral face angle and not soled.

SS is high 90s low 100s.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Ping G400 Max 9° EF White 65s 44.5"
Titleist TS2 16.5°  EF White 65s
Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid Tensei White
Ping G410 7-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/ Stealth 2.0 SW

TaylorMade MG Hi-Toe Bigfoot LW
Ping Sigma 2 Valor

@CaymanS I hit a bit shorter on avg than you, maybe 230-240. Last year when I was working on driver with my instructor he changed my loft from 10.5 to 11.5. I feel I got better trajectory with the 11.5* but now that my swing has improved I may go back to 10.5 to see if that gives me more distance.

10.5* for me, current set up in my signature

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim Max 10.5* | Mitsubishi Tensei Red Regular
3 WD -        Taylor Made Sim Max 14* | Ventus Red Regular 
HYBRIDS-   PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 3 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Accra Tour 90i Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL Ultralight grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG Gunboat H 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Snell MTB Black / Pro V1

My driver carry is about 235 on level ground. M5 10.5 set at 11.25. Although conventional wisdom (for my SS) says I'd probably do better with something like the M6, I've had REALLY good results with lower spin heads set for slightly higher launch. I get near max carry for my swing speed and I also get very good run out.

10.5 G400. I could play it at 9.5 and get a little more roll.

Avg carry 225-230. 240-250 total.

I’ve tried higher lofts, but hey don’t work for me. I prefer to see a boring trajectory with driver.

Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 5.5 76 ( Atmos Blue TS 6 sometimes)
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteelFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12
Toulon Madison H1 neck / Bettinardi BB1 Tiki 2016 / Toulon Long Island
 Wilson Staff FG Tour/ TM Tour Response/ BStone B RXS

My total distance would be in this zone, with 20 yards rollout. Loft set at 10.5°.

**Cayman**, find a range with level ground, and hit 10 shots each with 10.5° and 11.5° loft. Which ones go farther? Or, do it on a launch monitor.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set +1°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48° and 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

Isn't this a very hard question to draw any conclusions from? There are LPGA players hitting about this distance with a 7-8 degree drivers, probably because they are hitting up on the ball a lot. DJ has a 10.5 degree driver, although the (add'l) loft clearly isn't due to a lack of clubhead speed. He seems to be delofting the club (even driver) at impact somewhat. It seems like it's all about the loft at impact that matters.

At the beginning of the season I was in that range. Though now I'm closer to 255-260 avg. I have always played a 9.5. With some stints on either side. But am in a 8.5 910d3 at the moment. I'm a flipper and deliver alot of loft so it keeps me from hitting it way to high and spinny.

> @Bobb3rdown said:

> At the beginning of the season I was in that range. Though now I'm closer to 255-260 avg. I have always played a 9.5. With some stints on either side. But am in a 8.5 910d3 at the moment. I'm a flipper and deliver alot of loft so it keeps me from hitting it way to high and spinny.

I used to hit my drives 215~225 and then made a swing change by adding "flip" which I call lag or throwing the club at the ball rather than pushing it into the ball, basically releasing your wrists. I gained a gigantic 25+yds and I am totally serious. My playing partners have been shocked at the difference. I have tried the technique over the years but could not control the club well enough. Then a physicist I play with was looking at some stats and how they correlate to scoring and he mentioned what we already know, that fairways hit are less important than distance as it relates to scoring, so I decided to try the lag again and stick with it until I figured it out. Adding 25 yards to my drives makes all the succeeding shots on the hole easier because you are closer. I know, duh! I had the stock Ping shaft and felt I was overpowering it, so switched to the Kuro Kage and it really helped a great deal with consistency because the tip is stiffer. I choose that shaft from the Ping on-line fitting guide. But like you said, the "flipping" adds loft so my drives are soaring really high now. Great to watch!

16.5* Titleist TS2 FW

20* Titleist TS2 FW

22* TM M2 Hybrid

5~U Ping G710 w/recoils

54* Ping Glide 3.0 WS

58* Ping Glide 3.0 EYE2

Scotty Newport 2

> @agolf1 said:

> Isn't this a very hard question to draw any conclusions from? There are LPGA players hitting about this distance with a 7-8 degree drivers, probably because they are hitting up on the ball a lot. DJ has a 10.5 degree driver, although the (add'l) loft clearly isn't due to a lack of clubhead speed. He seems to be delofting the club (even driver) at impact somewhat. It seems like it's all about the loft at impact that matters.

Yea, there isn't a right answer because it depends on how the club head is delivered to the ball. The best I can tell from some toptracer data I have is my launch angle is about 14* which as far as I can tell is pretty close to optimum for me.

16.5* Titleist TS2 FW

20* Titleist TS2 FW

22* TM M2 Hybrid

5~U Ping G710 w/recoils

54* Ping Glide 3.0 WS

58* Ping Glide 3.0 EYE2

Scotty Newport 2

> @CaymanS said:

> > @agolf1 said:

> > Isn't this a very hard question to draw any conclusions from? There are LPGA players hitting about this distance with a 7-8 degree drivers, probably because they are hitting up on the ball a lot. DJ has a 10.5 degree driver, although the (add'l) loft clearly isn't due to a lack of clubhead speed. He seems to be delofting the club (even driver) at impact somewhat. It seems like it's all about the loft at impact that matters.

> Yea, there isn't a right answer because it depends on how the club head is delivered to the ball. The best I can tell from some toptracer data I have is my launch angle is about 14* which as far as I can tell is pretty close to optimum for me.

>

Depends. If your hitting down and delivering alot of loft to get 14 degrees of launch. Much like I am. Then your probably not as optimized as you think. I'm easily 20 yards farther when I actually manage to hit up on the ball. Knocks the spin right off and get a nice flat running drive. With all the carry of my other delivery.

I use a 8.5* 917D3 turned up to 10* to close the face a bit.

Taylormade M5 w/GD YSQ
Exotics XCG 16* hybrid with NV 85
Titleist 909h 19* and 24* with NV 105
Adams CB3 5-iron with RIP Tour 115 
Adams CB1 6 and 7-irons with RIP Tour 115 
Adams Pro Black MB 8-PW with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 TVD 52M with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM4 58D-12 (bent to 57-11) with RIP Tour 115
Vokey SM2 60M-04 with RIP Tour 115
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #5

I’m a little slower. Around 88-90 mph usually. Maybe 90-92 after a good warmup.

I might have the strongest grip in the world lol and at impact really hood the Face shut making my ball fly really low.

Right now I play a PXG 8011 XF Gen 2 14* but I feel I hit an old ladies Ping Rhapsody 16* with TFC R flex shaft perhaps further. Good drives on a dry day get me about 235-240. Norms are 220ish.

I have a buddy that swings around the same speed and he uses an 8.5 or 9.5 and hits it higher than I do. It’s all about the fit.

Callaway Epic Flash 12*

Callaway Epic Flash 7w / 11w

Exotics Xrail 5h

PXG 0311 Gen 2 SGI 6-SW

Cleveland CBX 60* 

Callaway Sure Out 64*

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 9.2