Iron set for 15 year old transitioning past US Kids Tour Series...

So like the title says I have a soon to be 15 year old who is going to need a new set of irons soon as he's pretty much outgrown the US Kids Tour Series 63" irons w/ steel shafts (these have been great by the way and he can still play them but he's growing stronger and they're still pretty light). He's already moved past US kids in the long clubs. He's playing the Epic Driver from 2 years ago with a reg flex stock shaft cut down 1" and he plays the Cobra F6 baffler as a fairway wood with a stock reg flex shaft (he hits this club pretty darn well).

In terms of my son, where I'm torn is that he's certainly not a beginner golfer but at the same time he's still behind the "advanced" players at his age. When he's playing well he can get around the course fairly well (shoot low 80s from the ladies tees and struggle to break 90 from the front mens tees). Short game still needs a lot of work and his ball striking is erratic (when it's good, he's pretty good but when he's not it's really bad).

I guess my question is hoping to hear from others and what they've done at this "tweener" age. I don't want to go spend $1,000 on a set of irons for him at this point so sort of some options I'm leaning towards:

1. Find a used set in pretty good shape of something with forgiveness but not awful to look at... (Apex CF16, Taylor Made P790, Ping G, AP1 etc.)

2. Something a little less popular but new and cheaper... for example my local retailer has a new set of Wilson Staff D350 for like $200. I don't know much about these. I looked at them and they're fairly chunky but I think he'd be ok. Shaft weight is 80grams so (SL80 by FST). To me it looks like something maybe targeted towards seniors but that's probably not a bad fit for him...

My only concern with going route #2 is that I'm already wanting to switch again in just a year or so but I don't know why I put so much thought into this-- I grew up in my teenage years playing a K-Mart sold complete set of Dunlops until I was 16.

default_callaway-small.jpg.0667322081ba61f1e13fcf849463e542.jpg

Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree (10°)- Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted
Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W (16°)- Hzrdus Smoke
Apex 3 (20°) & 4 (23°) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
'18 Apex MB (8-PW) and '19 Apex Pro (5-7i) Nippon Pro Modus 105 s
MD3 Black 50°, 54° (S Grind), 58° (PM Grind)
Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta or Stroke Lab Las Vegas
Ball: Bridgestone Tour BX
*Sometimes play strong 3w, 5 wood and 52/58 wedge setup

Was in the same boat this year. Got Callaway Rogue combo iron/hybrid set from callawaypreowned.com during one of their special sales. Would have gone the used Ping iron route - they hold their value best - but Callaway used was cheaper and good quality. Definitely go used, IMO. Good luck.

I just did this last fall with my son. He was outgrowing and getting too strong for the US Kids Tour Series 63 as well. What I did was have my pro fit him for specs on my old Ping irons. (I bought myself some new i500's and he got my Anser irons). We took his specs, sent the clubs back to Ping for lie angle, new weight badges on the backs, new shafts and grips. For about $200, he now has set that is fit to him and for cheaper than I could buy a different used set which would not have been his specs.

Obviously, doesn't help you if you don't have some other clubs sitting around, but Ping can fit him into some used clubs that you buy for a pretty reasonable cost.

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 9* Diamana Ahina 70X
TaylorMade M5 14* Diamana Ahina 70X
TaylorMade M5 19* Diamana China 80X
Ping i500 4-UW Project X LZ 6.0
Ping Glide 2.0 54 & Stealth 58 ES Project X LZ 6.0
Bettinardi Studio Stock 28

Thanks for the feedback.

default_callaway-small.jpg.0667322081ba61f1e13fcf849463e542.jpg

Epic Flash Sub Zero 9 degree (10°)- Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted
Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W (16°)- Hzrdus Smoke
Apex 3 (20°) & 4 (23°) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
'18 Apex MB (8-PW) and '19 Apex Pro (5-7i) Nippon Pro Modus 105 s
MD3 Black 50°, 54° (S Grind), 58° (PM Grind)
Toulon Design Odyssey Atlanta or Stroke Lab Las Vegas
Ball: Bridgestone Tour BX
*Sometimes play strong 3w, 5 wood and 52/58 wedge setup

Go to a golf store and have him try out clubs. What ever he likes go back a generation or two and get those. They don't change looks wise too much year to year. Did that for a few people with some success.

> @"woodlandsgolfer " said:

> I just did this last fall with my son. He was outgrowing and getting too strong for the US Kids Tour Series 63 as well. What I did was have my pro fit him for specs on my old Ping irons. (I bought myself some new i500's and he got my Anser irons). We took his specs, sent the clubs back to Ping for lie angle, new weight badges on the backs, new shafts and grips. For about $200, he now has set that is fit to him and for cheaper than I could buy a different used set which would not have been his specs.

>

> Obviously, doesn't help you if you don't have some other clubs sitting around, but Ping can fit him into some used clubs that you buy for a pretty reasonable cost.

I've become a bit of a Ping homer after years of disliking them. Like this suggestion if you can do a cheaper retrofit. I would think that the shafts are more of an issue rather than head design at this point. The shafts if too stiff or soft will ingrain bigger issues/compensations than head design will. Never fun to end up dropping more $$$ in a couple years for another shaft upgrade, but so is the nature of the beast regarding tweener sets.

SM 3.5 Bag:

Titleist TS3 8.5* w/ DI BB-6X

TM Sim Ti 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19*  w/ Atmos HB TS Blue 8X 

TM 760 4-PW w/ DG 105 X100 black onyx

TM MG2 52/56/60 (1* strong) w/ DG TI S400

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 

Last year my son went from the US Kids TS 60's to my previous set of irons that were sitting in the garage, Mizuno JPX-800s with regular flex graphite shafts. Those worked well for him. But I figured that as he got stronger those shafts would become too soft for him.

This year I got him fit with a new set of irons, TM 790s with stiff graphite shafts. These clubs ought to last him some years.