Ping Glide 3.0 wedges - June 2019

GolfWRX

> @300_yard_drives said:

> > @ASN21 said:

> > > @300_yard_drives said:

> > > > @ASN21 said:

> > > > TXG showed a 6000 rpm gain for the Glide 3.0 over the Vokey SM7 when the golf ball and wedge face was sprayed with water. Very impressive Ping!

> > >

> > > Compared to a used Vokey. What a great comparison. New wedges spin the ball significantly more with debris and water on the face. Not saying that hydropearl doesn’t work but it wasn’t a fair test.

> > You sound like a bitter Vokey apologist.

>

> I haven’t used a vokey wedge since 2010. I don’t even like them. I’m a Cleveland edge guy. Best in business in my opinion even though my wife works at ping and I get to try whatever I want.

I don’t feel envy anymore in my life, at least I didn’t until you said your wife works at PING.

• Like 1

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @300_yard_drives said:

> > > @ASN21 said:

> > > > @300_yard_drives said:

> > > > > @ASN21 said:

> > > > > TXG showed a 6000 rpm gain for the Glide 3.0 over the Vokey SM7 when the golf ball and wedge face was sprayed with water. Very impressive Ping!

> > > >

> > > > Compared to a used Vokey. What a great comparison. New wedges spin the ball significantly more with debris and water on the face. Not saying that hydropearl doesn’t work but it wasn’t a fair test.

> > > You sound like a bitter Vokey apologist.

> >

> > I haven’t used a vokey wedge since 2010. I don’t even like them. I’m a Cleveland edge guy. Best in business in my opinion even though my wife works at ping and I get to try whatever I want.

>

> I don’t feel envy anymore in my life, at least I didn’t until you said your wife works at PING.

>

She is a +3 cap even though she only plays 2 times a month too. I got a keeper ?

• Like 1

I have been playing Vokey's for a number of years and every time I try another brand I end up going back. I see a lot of positive comments here but my concern is the light weight of the club. Hope I can get my hands on some demo units and take them to the course. I need to try them on grass & sand in the conditions that I normally play in to see how good they are.

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

> @crazygolfnut said:

> I have been playing Vokey's for a number of years and every time I try another brand I end up going back. I see a lot of positive comments here but my concern is the light weight of the club. Hope I can get my hands on some demo units and take them to the course. I need to try them on grass & sand in the conditions that I normally play in to see how good they are.

My preference has always been Cleveland wedges, I never got on with Vokey as they seem to want to go more right than I like to see. I really like the new 3.0’s as I didn’t personally get on with the 2.0’s. Going to be interesting once my MD3’s need to get replaced because I really like these, the RTX4’s, and the Hi-Toes.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Well I made the jump, just swapped out my Jet black SM7’s for the Glide 3.0’s, couldn’t be happier with my decision. Been playing the SM7’s all summer long and after 2 rounds in with the Glides it’s safe to say, these are probably the best wedges I’ve had to date. Shots around the green are deadly and I’m lights out with these from around 100 yards.

I think the massive difference comes from the spin, I never seemed to get enough bite with my vokey’s, these on the other hand are night and day different, full shots are spinning back now which will take some time to adjust to but now I can go after pins. Shots around the green have some massive bite to them and the turf interaction with these is so pure, it’s almost too easy.

One thing I’m sure a lot of people are wondering about: the finish: 2 rounds in on 2 really bumpy courses and the finish has held up to the point where they still look brand new, massive difference to the I210 irons, which I sold after 1 round as the hydropearl finish seemed to almost *chip away*. Doesn’t seem to be the case with these at all so I’ts safe to assume that Ping took focus on this issue.

Couldn’t be happier.

> @mrmikeac said:

> Well I made the jump, just swapped out my Jet black SM7’s for the Glide 3.0’s, couldn’t be happier with my decision. Been playing the SM7’s all summer long and after 2 rounds in with the Glides it’s safe to say, these are probably the best wedges I’ve had to date. Shots around the green are deadly and I’m lights out with these from around 100 yards.

>

> I think the massive difference comes from the spin, I never seemed to get enough bite with my vokey’s, these on the other hand are night and day different, full shots are spinning back now which will take some time to adjust to but now I can go after pins. Shots around the green have some massive bite to them and the turf interaction with these is so pure, it’s almost too easy.

> One thing I’m sure a lot of people are wondering about: the finish: 2 rounds in on 2 really bumpy courses and the finish has held up to the point where they still look brand new, massive difference to the I210 irons, which I sold after 1 round as the hydropearl finish seemed to almost *chip away*. Doesn’t seem to be the case with these at all so I’ts safe to assume that Ping took focus on this issue.

>

> Couldn’t be happier.

The 3.0’s have to look MASSIVE compared to jet black SM7’s, do they not?

> @PINSEEKER72 said:

> > @mrmikeac said:

> > Well I made the jump, just swapped out my Jet black SM7’s for the Glide 3.0’s, couldn’t be happier with my decision.

>

> What grinds did you get in the Pings?

>

>

Walked in thinking I was going to go 50 Standard, 54 Wide and hold onto my Hi Toe Wedge, ended up fitting best into standard soles across the board. The standard sole is extremely versatile, plays alot like an M grind with higher bounce if that’s makes any sense, the wide sole was way too chunky for my liking. Also worth noting, I ended up keeping my Hi Toe in the bag, mainly because I can’t seem to let go of that ATV grind, just magic out of bunkers.

Hit the 3.0's and 3.0 Eyes and immediately ordered a 56°ES and 60°ES in 2.0 for next year when I'll likely retire my current 56/60° after they wear out.

Did not like the extra groove at the bottom and the curved leading edge.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

> @JoelKD said:

> One round and some practice with these and I can tell they aren’t for me. Don’t like the ts or ss. Gotta try em to know but that was an easy decision back to my hi toes

I would have thought you would have tried the Eye 2's if you liked the Hi Toes.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Have gamed Vokeys forever but was intrigued by these as I’m looking for a little more forgiveness in my game. So I bought a 54ss and 58ss. These wedges are not for me. Either I chunked the ball and it went 5 feet, or I hit it perfect and it had incredible spin. So weird. Unfortunate I had like 5 chunks to 1 perfect shot. They just seem to want to dig. I was playing with my regular foursome and I didn’t tell them I got new wedges and they kept saying to me we’ve never seen your short game so bad before. lol. Brought the wedges back today and traded them for a set of vokeys.

> @DeboPga78 said:

> Have gamed Vokeys forever but was intrigued by these as I’m looking for a little more forgiveness in my game. So I bought a 54ss and 58ss. These wedges are not for me. Either I chunked the ball and it went 5 feet, or I hit it perfect and it had incredible spin. So weird. Unfortunate I had like 5 chunks to 1 perfect shot. They just seem to want to dig. I was playing with my regular foursome and I didn’t tell them I got new wedges and they kept saying to me we’ve never seen your short game so bad before. lol. Brought the wedges back today and traded them for a set of vokeys.

Getting the Glides to dig is a impressive feat.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

> @lawsonman said:

> > @DeboPga78 said:

> > Have gamed Vokeys forever but was intrigued by these as I’m looking for a little more forgiveness in my game. So I bought a 54ss and 58ss. These wedges are not for me. Either I chunked the ball and it went 5 feet, or I hit it perfect and it had incredible spin. So weird. Unfortunate I had like 5 chunks to 1 perfect shot. They just seem to want to dig. I was playing with my regular foursome and I didn’t tell them I got new wedges and they kept saying to me we’ve never seen your short game so bad before. lol. Brought the wedges back today and traded them for a set of vokeys.

>

> Getting the Glides to dig is a impressive feat.

> @lawsonman said:

> > @DeboPga78 said:

> > Have gamed Vokeys forever but was intrigued by these as I’m looking for a little more forgiveness in my game. So I bought a 54ss and 58ss. These wedges are not for me. Either I chunked the ball and it went 5 feet, or I hit it perfect and it had incredible spin. So weird. Unfortunate I had like 5 chunks to 1 perfect shot. They just seem to want to dig. I was playing with my regular foursome and I didn’t tell them I got new wedges and they kept saying to me we’ve never seen your short game so bad before. lol. Brought the wedges back today and traded them for a set of vokeys.

>

> Getting the Glides to dig is a impressive feat.

I’m not the only one that has had that feedback. Read the thread. Yeah they dig. Much more than my vokeys with the same bounce.

> @DeboPga78 said:

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @DeboPga78 said:

> > > Have gamed Vokeys forever but was intrigued by these as I’m looking for a little more forgiveness in my game. So I bought a 54ss and 58ss. These wedges are not for me. Either I chunked the ball and it went 5 feet, or I hit it perfect and it had incredible spin. So weird. Unfortunate I had like 5 chunks to 1 perfect shot. They just seem to want to dig. I was playing with my regular foursome and I didn’t tell them I got new wedges and they kept saying to me we’ve never seen your short game so bad before. lol. Brought the wedges back today and traded them for a set of vokeys.

> >

> > Getting the Glides to dig is a impressive feat.

>

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @DeboPga78 said:

> > > Have gamed Vokeys forever but was intrigued by these as I’m looking for a little more forgiveness in my game. So I bought a 54ss and 58ss. These wedges are not for me. Either I chunked the ball and it went 5 feet, or I hit it perfect and it had incredible spin. So weird. Unfortunate I had like 5 chunks to 1 perfect shot. They just seem to want to dig. I was playing with my regular foursome and I didn’t tell them I got new wedges and they kept saying to me we’ve never seen your short game so bad before. lol. Brought the wedges back today and traded them for a set of vokeys.

> >

>

> I’m not the only one that has had that feedback. Read the thread. Yeah they dig. Much more than my vokeys with the same bounce.

Maybe you could learn how to hit them, instead of getting super sensitive would help your game. How long you have been playing on your previous wedges could be a contributing factor man ??

> @DeboPga78 said:

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @DeboPga78 said:

> >

>

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @DeboPga78 said:

> >

>

> I’m not the only one that has had that feedback. Read the thread. Yeah they dig. Much more than my vokeys with the same bounce.

I have read the thread. You said you either chunked it or you hit it perfect and had tons of spin. That's not the fault of the wedge. The issue is with the person holding it. Always has been, always will be.

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

> @lawsonman said:

> > @DeboPga78 said:

> > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > @DeboPga78 said:

> > > > Have gamed Vokeys forever but was intrigued by these as I’m looking for a little more forgiveness in my game. So I bought a 54ss and 58ss. These wedges are not for me. Either I chunked the ball and it went 5 feet, or I hit it perfect and it had incredible spin. So weird. Unfortunate I had like 5 chunks to 1 perfect shot. They just seem to want to dig. I was playing with my regular foursome and I didn’t tell them I got new wedges and they kept saying to me we’ve never seen your short game so bad before. lol. Brought the wedges back today and traded them for a set of vokeys.

> > >

> > > Getting the Glides to dig is a impressive feat.

> >

> > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > @DeboPga78 said:

> > > > Have gamed Vokeys forever but was intrigued by these as I’m looking for a little more forgiveness in my game. So I bought a 54ss and 58ss. These wedges are not for me. Either I chunked the ball and it went 5 feet, or I hit it perfect and it had incredible spin. So weird. Unfortunate I had like 5 chunks to 1 perfect shot. They just seem to want to dig. I was playing with my regular foursome and I didn’t tell them I got new wedges and they kept saying to me we’ve never seen your short game so bad before. lol. Brought the wedges back today and traded them for a set of vokeys.

> > >

> > > Getting the Glides to dig is a impressive feat.

> >

> > I’m not the only one that has had that feedback. Read the thread. Yeah they dig. Much more than my vokeys with the same bounce.

>

> I have read the thread. You said you either chunked it or you hit it perfect and had tons of spin. That's not the fault of the wedge. The issue is with the person holding it. Always has been, always will be.

You are right. We should eliminate all reviews. This whole site is pointless. No one should post their experiences with clubs anymore. Thanks.

> @DeboPga78 said:

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @DeboPga78 said:

> > > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > > @DeboPga78 said:

> > > > > Have gamed Vokeys forever but was intrigued by these as I’m looking for a little more forgiveness in my game. So I bought a 54ss and 58ss. These wedges are not for me. Either I chunked the ball and it went 5 feet, or I hit it perfect and it had incredible spin. So weird. Unfortunate I had like 5 chunks to 1 perfect shot. They just seem to want to dig. I was playing with my regular foursome and I didn’t tell them I got new wedges and they kept saying to me we’ve never seen your short game so bad before. lol. Brought the wedges back today and traded them for a set of vokeys.

> > > >

> > > > Getting the Glides to dig is a impressive feat.

> > >

> > > > @lawsonman said:

> > > > > Have gamed Vokeys forever but was intrigued by these as I’m looking for a little more forgiveness in my game. So I bought a 54ss and 58ss. These wedges are not for me. Either I chunked the ball and it went 5 feet, or I hit it perfect and it had incredible spin. So weird. Unfortunate I had like 5 chunks to 1 perfect shot. They just seem to want to dig. I was playing with my regular foursome and I didn’t tell them I got new wedges and they kept saying to me we’ve never seen your short game so bad before. lol. Brought the wedges back today and traded them for a set of vokeys.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I’m not the only one that has had that feedback. Read the thread. Yeah they dig. Much more than my vokeys with the same bounce.

> >

> > I have read the thread. You said you either chunked it or you hit it perfect and had tons of spin. That's not the fault of the wedge. The issue is with the person holding it. Always has been, always will be.

>

> You are right. We should eliminate all reviews. This whole site is pointless. No one should post their experiences with clubs anymore. Thanks.

Your words, not mine.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

> @DeboPga78 said:

> > @lawsonman said:

> > > @DeboPga78 said:

> > > > @lawsonman said:

> > > >

> > >

> > > > @lawsonman said:

> > > >

> > >

> > > I’m not the only one that has had that feedback. Read the thread. Yeah they dig. Much more than my vokeys with the same bounce.

> >

> > I have read the thread. You said you either chunked it or you hit it perfect and had tons of spin. That's not the fault of the wedge. The issue is with the person holding it. Always has been, always will be.

>

> You are right. We should eliminate all reviews. This whole site is pointless. No one should post their experiences with clubs anymore. Thanks.

Thin-skin much? He’s pointing out a part of your review that isn’t the club’s fault. Hitting it fat is on you, not the club.

Maybe the shaft, swingweight, static weight of the club was different than what you’re accustomed to. Even so, your body adjusted by putting a bad swing on the ball that caused a fat shot. The Glide didn’t make you hit the turf before the ball.

> @GolfTurkey said:

> Is it possible that both are correct? Hitting it fat (especially so often) isn't the fault of the club but some clubs are more forgiving than others when hit fat due to their design.

He said he’s puring it or chunking it “5 feet”. There isn’t a club in the world that protects against that kind of fat. A little fat? Yes. That, however, is a very, very fat shot.

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> > @GolfTurkey said:

> > Is it possible that both are correct? Hitting it fat (especially so often) isn't the fault of the club but some clubs are more forgiving than others when hit fat due to their design.

>

> He said he’s puring it or chunking it “5 feet”. There isn’t a club in the world that protects against that kind of fat. A little fat? Yes. That, however, is a very, very fat shot.

>

>

Agreed. That’s like 2am bar closing and desperate Fat

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

> @nilopol said:

> Looking to see how 2.0 compares to 3.0. Any comments?

I didn’t get on with the 2.0’s, they felt like Vokeys to me, but the 3.0’s feel and perform amazing. When I retire my MD3’s they are in the running to make the bag.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash