Ping Glide 3.0 wedges - June 2019

GolfWRX

Thought I'd almost settled on CBX as my next wedge but these are just so much better looking. If performance is similar at demo days, will have to go with Glide

Ben Hogan GS53 9* with UST Helium stiff  & Ben Hogan GS53 16* with UST Helium stiff

Titleist 816 H2 21* with stiff flex Diamana S+ Blue 70  

Ping G400 irons 5-AW with steel AWT shafts

Callaway MD4 Wide sole wedges 54* & 58*

Seemore Nashville One Studio Series

Went and tested my SM7 50/54 degrees with DG200 wedges against the Glide 3.0, Jaws MD5 and TM MG2. I was blown away at the spin on the 3.0s. I’m a low spin player with my SM7s and they are just so much easier to hit. Love the finish on them and the feel is great! Actually got along with the the stock shaft that comes with it.

COBRA RADSPEED XB @ 8° | MOTORE X F1 60

COBRA RADSPEED 3W @ 14.5° | MOTORE X F1 70

SRIXON ZX 4HY @ 22° | HZRDUS SMOKE BLACK 80

SUB70 699 PRO 6-PW | DG 105

CLEVELAND RTX ZIPCORE 51°/56°/61° | MODUS3 WEDGE 125

TAYLORMADE SPIDER X HYDRO BLAST SINGLE BEND | KBS CT TOUR

TITLEIST PROV1X

• 2 weeks later...

Well they just killed it on the other Spy sites wedge test. Top 3 with the T-20 wedges and the new Wilson Raws.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @GolfChannel said:

> Well they just killed it on the other Spy sites wedge test. Top 3 with the T-20 wedges and the new Wilson Raws.

I saw that but I read the test to show these were middle of the pack.

I’m not sure the way they conducted that test is reliable at all. I’m not a statistician but if you look at how they conducted that test, seems pretty random.

I know on their pod that they weighted consistency of performance their top criteria along with spin retention in all conditions.

The Pings were best at retention, but the Mizuno’s and Honma’s were tops in consistency.

> @GolfChannel said:

> I know on their pod that they weighted consistency of performance their top criteria along with spin retention in all conditions.

>

> The Pings were best at retention, but the Mizuno’s and Honma’s were tops in consistency.

The whole system of analysis they used made little sense to me. They basically weighted three criteria: 1) spin retention in wet/dry; 2) 40 yard shots; 3) full shots.

Spin retention was weighted only twenty percent. I feel like the ball study was statistically stronger than this one. Who decides the three criteria versus others? How do they decide to weight each of the three? Since it’s a human test, wouldn’t there be other variables that would enter into the disbursement patterns (random luck, tiredness of testers, etc.)?

They had talked up the Glides on the podcast and then they ended up not ranking particularly well in the study. The whole thing was weird.

They really need a statistics expert over there to help them plan these things.

> @GDTBATH said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > I know on their pod that they weighted consistency of performance their top criteria along with spin retention in all conditions.

> >

> > The Pings were best at retention, but the Mizuno’s and Honma’s were tops in consistency.

>

> The whole system of analysis they used made little sense to me. They basically weighted three criteria: 1) spin retention in wet/dry; 2) 40 yard shots; 3) full shots.

>

> Spin retention was weighted only twenty percent. I feel like the ball study was statistically stronger than this one. Who decides the three criteria versus others? How do they decide to weight each of the three? Since it’s a human test, wouldn’t there be other variables that would enter into the disbursement patterns (random luck, tiredness of testers, etc.)?

>

> They had talked up the Glides on the podcast and then they ended up not ranking particularly well in the study. The whole thing was weird.

>

> They really need a statistics expert over there to help them plan these things.

Was it a human test? On the pod they said the robot hit 13,000 wedge shots.

I haven’t seen the report, only listened to the Pod. Their ego’s are impressive given they acted the whole time like they were the first to uncover it when TXG did this a while ago.

Re human vs robot test, you may well be right. I missed that. On this one it still seems to me their statistical system might not be appropriate. I appreciate what they’re trying to do there but I fee like they need to work on refining their analysis before making such broad, sweeping proclamations.

I’m going to be honest I am due for new wedges this fall. I was down to Pings and T20’s. I’m normally a Mizuno guy through and through but the shop I always buy from didn’t have the T20’s. I decided to be bold and after fitting, ordered the Glides. I’m returning them now and going with the T20’s.

Does that make me weak-minded? Maybe so, but given how poorly they rate from 40 yards and in, I just don’t want to take the chance. Golf is nothing if not mental and it’s always going to be in the back of my mind now that I’m using inferior product around the green. I just can’t take that chance and yes, maybe that does make me an idiot but it is what it is.

• Like 1

> @GDTBATH said:

> Re human vs robot test, you may well be right. I missed that. On this one it still seems to me their statistical system might not be appropriate. I appreciate what they’re trying to do there but I fee like they need to work on refining their analysis before making such broad, sweeping proclamations.

>

> I’m going to be honest I am due for new wedges this fall. I was down to Pings and T20’s. I’m normally a Mizuno guy through and through but the shop I always buy from didn’t have the T20’s. I decided to be bold and after fitting, ordered the Glides. I’m returning them now and going with the T20’s.

>

> Does that make me weak-minded? Maybe so, but given how poorly they rate from 40 yards and in, I just don’t want to take the chance. Golf is nothing if not mental and it’s always going to be in the back of my mind now that I’m using inferior product around the green. I just can’t take that chance and yes, maybe that does make me an idiot but it is what it is.

So to be clear...you are returning them without hitting based on the review from 40 yards in? Or you hit them and they were not good for you from 40 yards in?

• Like 1

> @Shakespeare said:

> > @GDTBATH said:

> > Re human vs robot test, you may well be right. I missed that. On this one it still seems to me their statistical system might not be appropriate. I appreciate what they’re trying to do there but I fee like they need to work on refining their analysis before making such broad, sweeping proclamations.

> >

> > I’m going to be honest I am due for new wedges this fall. I was down to Pings and T20’s. I’m normally a Mizuno guy through and through but the shop I always buy from didn’t have the T20’s. I decided to be bold and after fitting, ordered the Glides. I’m returning them now and going with the T20’s.

> >

> > Does that make me weak-minded? Maybe so, but given how poorly they rate from 40 yards and in, I just don’t want to take the chance. Golf is nothing if not mental and it’s always going to be in the back of my mind now that I’m using inferior product around the green. I just can’t take that chance and yes, maybe that does make me an idiot but it is what it is.

>

> So to be clear...you are returning them without hitting based on the review from 40 yards in? Or you hit them and they were not good for you from 40 yards in?

Also interested in the response, those were in my top 3 to try along with the MG 2

At this point I am just riding things out till the Club Champion half off fitting special and then use the fine minds on this site to build the set myself.

Shakespeare, responding instead of quoting b/c I’m on mobile and the quote function is acting up.

Returning without hitting while I can still get my money back. I’m sure they’re great clubs but it will be a mental thing. Plus, from forty yards an in, numbers (spin, launch, etc.) don’t really matter.

I was originally down to those and the T20’s and I’ll just grab those.

It may be an irrational response on my part but this is a mental game. I’m a great chipper and pitcher...so-so ballstriker. I need to stay that way.

• Like 1

> @GDTBATH said:

> Shakespeare, responding instead of quoting b/c I’m on mobile and the quote function is acting up.

>

> Returning without hitting while I can still get my money back. I’m sure they’re great clubs but it will be a mental thing. Plus, from forty yards an in, numbers (spin, launch, etc.) don’t really matter.

>

> I was originally down to those and the T20’s and I’ll just grab those.

>

> It may be an irrational response on my part but this is a mental game. I’m a great chipper and pitcher...so-so ballstriker. I need to stay that way.

Everyone has theie reason for and against...not judging

• 2 months later...

I wonder now since PING was able to get the black Hydropearl finish on the G710 if they will be making a stealth Glide 3.0 now.....might have to tinker if they do

TITLEIST PROV1X

Anyone have any insight if they will offer these in Stealth??

TITLEIST PROV1X

I just received my custom order G3 Eye2 58 (Red Dot, PXLZ 5.5, GPTV Cord +1 lower half, D5). Roger Dunn Golf Shop is my candy store.

Holed out first hit in my home "chipping studio". I feel that the mass of tall hosel that tapers to very slim towards the bottom plus the extra material added behind the high toe provides increased mass moment of inertia since they are at the extreme ends of the clubhead.

Look/feel/weighting seems spot on to me and is a natural progression from my irons that have the same shafts and similar colored head.

I haven't owned a stainless wedge in a while, and I'm looking forward to testing the spin retention effects of the hydropearl finish off wet turf.

• 4 months later...

I just ordered a set with the Z-Z115 from DD. I've tried to like my SM8's but cannot. Loved SM7 and SM6 were good. I did request SW to be confirmed.

Gamer/Backup
Driver: PING G410 LST 9 w/ EF Black 6.5; Cobra LTD PRO w/ Speeder 661 iv and Cobra F8+ with Evenflow Blue 65 6.5
3wd: TEE CB Pro 14.5 Speeder 757 stiff; 
5wd: Cobra F6 Baffler set at 17.5; Titleist 915 2H
3H- Titleist 915 2H dialed up in loft to 19; Ping G with Evenflow Blue 85 6.0
4 iron: G400 Crossover; G400 green dot CFS stiff, It's stamped 5 iron but power spec at 22* I use it as 4 iron; N/A
5-PW: Ping i15 green dot AWT stiff; PXG 0211 w/ Elevate Tour VSS Pro stiff
52/12 F: Vokey sm8 2 up; 52/12 F Vokey SM7
58/12 d: Vokey sm8 2 up; 58/12 d Vokey sm7 
Putter: Taylormade Spider Platinum; Ping Anser Milled 5; Nike Method Matter B2-05
Ball: Wilson FG Tour

Does anyone ever get jumpers from their Glide wedges? I've noticed a few times I'd hit half shots and the ball would fly over the back of the green, kinda annoyed me so grabbed some Callaway wedges and in my first round noticed not getting that issue with them.

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 6.0

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Trad II - Lajosi Sensor - Kingdom Putter - - and more. 

WITB Thread

Nope. The only way to make a ball go further like that is be de-lofting at impact.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize