Best utility/driving iron for my game?

What is the best, most forgiving utility/driving iron available? I need one that is a 3-iron length/loft. I too often hit driver/3wood on short par 4s and leave myself in trouble. Im a 5 hcp and play S400 in my irons. What do you guys think? graphite or steel? x or stiff? i play x in driver and swing about 115mph with it. Bonus for a club that is affordable. thanks!

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my vote is always for typing your question into a search bar a reading the awesome threads on it.

but since were both already here. .

p790 is amazing and can be found used on ebay or bst. i use a 110g graphite shaft in x stiff. get fitted, or go with the stiffness u already play.

edit:its actually a 95g to help the transition from wood to iron weights

another edit: saw u play x in driver. if u have mixed stiffness and it works/you were fitted, i would go get fitted. 3 iron shaft choice makes a big difference

I picked up a used Adams Hybrid for $50 on BST and it's been pretty awesome... it's STOUT and took me some time to get adjusted to it (has a Proforce V2 Tour X in it) but it does what I need it to do.

I have a similar swing speed and didn't like the feel of most of the driving irons... they felt hollow. I liked the GAPR, but honestly, I'd start with a used Adams and go from there... they are great hybrids, just get one with a stiff shaft and a low loft.

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

> @Myherobobhope said:

> I picked up a used Adams Hybrid for $50 on BST and it's been pretty awesome... it's STOUT and took me some time to get adjusted to it (has a Proforce V2 Tour X in it) but it does what I need it to do.

>

> I have a similar swing speed and didn't like the feel of most of the driving irons... they felt hollow. I liked the GAPR, but honestly, I'd start with a used Adams and go from there... they are great hybrids, just get one with a stiff shaft and a low loft.

they def feel hollow fwiw. i kinda like that feel though, its similar to the feel of a blade, as in you can really tell when you hit it right. u can feel the mishits but still alright forgiveness. Not as forgiving as hybrids, but i can shape it easier

Cheap; Adams dhy.

Middle ; Srixon u45/65/85

Expensive; Epon 901 etc....

DR: Taylormade M5 9* + Diamana W60x.

FW: Taylormade R9 Ti 16.5* + Diamana R80s.
HY: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 22* + White Tie HX4.
Irons: Taylormade R9 Forged 5i-PW + Quadra 100i Pro x.
Wedges: Cleveland RTX3 52*/58* + Modus 130.
Putter: SeeMore SB1 + Accra FX300.

My vote is for the Srixon U85. I have a 95gram X-stiff Paderson shaft in it, and it is nothing but straight. Very pure feel to it when you hit it solid. Not hollow feeling/sounding at all.

Titleist TS2 9.5* w/ PX Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0

Titleist TS2 H 22* w/ DG X100

Cleveland Launcher HB 5-PW w/ DG X100

Titleist SM6 48*F w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM6 52*F w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM6 58*K w/ DG TI X100

Scotty Cameron 2015 GoLo 3

> @extrastiff said:

> > @Myherobobhope said:

> > I picked up a used Adams Hybrid for $50 on BST and it's been pretty awesome... it's STOUT and took me some time to get adjusted to it (has a Proforce V2 Tour X in it) but it does what I need it to do.

> >

> > I have a similar swing speed and didn't like the feel of most of the driving irons... they felt hollow. I liked the GAPR, but honestly, I'd start with a used Adams and go from there... they are great hybrids, just get one with a stiff shaft and a low loft.

>

> they def feel hollow fwiw. i kinda like that feel though, its similar to the feel of a blade, as in you can really tell when you hit it right. u can feel the mishits but still alright forgiveness. Not as forgiving as hybrids, but i can shape it easier

I did not like the hollow feel, but I also don’t play blades... love My Adams, though it’s a telephone pole.

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

Tried Ping Crossover, GAPr, u65, and the Mizuno driving iron at GG. Loved the Ping G400 Crossover and bought it off the web in xstiff by accident. I play regular in my irons and driver. The G400 is great for all those short par 4s. It's a 19° 3 iron. 200 yds in the fairway off the tee. The xstiff shaft is not very stiff. If you want/need xstiff, try it in person to make sure it's stiff enough for you. Only negative is that I can't hit it well off a tight lie. I only use it off the tee.

If you can get the right shaft the the P790 that's a good choice. But it's 17* for the UDI.

For finding the fairway I would opt for steel so it doesn't feel like a hybrid.

Taylormade M3 10.5 - Diamana DF 70 TX Callaway Rogue SZ 15 - Diamana Tensei White Pro 70 TX Titleist TS2 18 - Diamana DF 80 TX Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-PW - C-Taper 130 X Titleist Vokey SM7 50,55,60 - C-Taper 125 S+ Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro V1X

Decide what your main target is with getting a new club. From your description it seems like you're searching for accuracy off the tee. Then enter a fitting with an open mind, maybe look up a few contenders which you start to try. I got a new utility iron this year and initially I was sure that I should have a steel shaft in it but it turned out I was getting way more repeatable results with a graphite shaft. So try both in various weights and see what get you the best results!

The G410 CrossOver has really improved my tee game this year.

Taylormade M1 '17 9,5° UST Elements Platinum Prototype PT6F5
Callaway X-Hot Pro 15° Diamana Kai'li 70
Ping G410 Crossover 20° Tensei Blue 80 TX
Wilson Staff FG Tour V6 Irons 4-PW True Temper X100 AMT
Mizuno T5 52° & 56° True Temper Gold S300
Nike Method Core 01W

> @extrastiff said:

> my vote is always for typing your question into a search bar a reading the awesome threads on it.

> but since were both already here. .

> p790 is amazing and can be found used on ebay or bst. i use a 110g graphite shaft in x stiff. get fitted, or go with the stiffness u already play.

> edit:its actually a 95g to help the transition from wood to iron weights

> another edit: saw u play x in driver. if u have mixed stiffness and it works/you were fitted, i would go get fitted. 3 iron shaft choice makes a big difference

I have never had a fitting in my 20 years playing golf (im 35). I have never really had the extra money for it, i would rather spend it on rounds of golf or balls and gloves etc. I have always played stiff, standard length irons and about 10 years ago I moved to X in driver after my friends could literally see my shaft flexing 3 inches at the top of my backswing. Are mixed flex clubs a bad thing? I see a few tour pros use the same approach, X in woods, stiff in irons. I like the X in driver so i can be aggressive.

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

> @Cpr3584 said:

> > @extrastiff said:

> > my vote is always for typing your question into a search bar a reading the awesome threads on it.

> > but since were both already here. .

> > p790 is amazing and can be found used on ebay or bst. i use a 110g graphite shaft in x stiff. get fitted, or go with the stiffness u already play.

> > edit:its actually a 95g to help the transition from wood to iron weights

> > another edit: saw u play x in driver. if u have mixed stiffness and it works/you were fitted, i would go get fitted. 3 iron shaft choice makes a big difference

>

> I have never had a fitting in my 20 years playing golf (im 35). I have never really had the extra money for it, i would rather spend it on rounds of golf or balls and gloves etc. I have always played stiff, standard length irons and about 10 years ago I moved to X in driver after my friends could literally see my shaft flexing 3 inches at the top of my backswing. Are mixed flex clubs a bad thing? I see a few tour pros use the same approach, X in woods, stiff in irons. I like the X in driver so i can be aggressive.

its not inherently a bad thing at all, it depends on the specific shaft, your swing, etc.

You can go to a big box store and get "fit" (not the best, but there is a launch monitor and you can see numbers) for free, no purchase necessary. try a bunch of options. i def spend less on golf balls since i got the right driver shaft lol.

Also, following the pro's WITB is a dangerous game, they often have little tweaks that you don't know about the make the club work for them (tip weights, hard/soft stepping, etc.).

If you have no issues hitting multiple flexes, no need to overthink it, just find one already built on ebay/BST, stiff or Xstiff. I still recommend a day at PGA SS or whatever. U may benefit from x stiff throughtout the bag if you have the Swingspeed for it

> @Cpr3584 said:

> > @extrastiff said:

> > my vote is always for typing your question into a search bar a reading the awesome threads on it.

> > but since were both already here. .

> > p790 is amazing and can be found used on ebay or bst. i use a 110g graphite shaft in x stiff. get fitted, or go with the stiffness u already play.

> > edit:its actually a 95g to help the transition from wood to iron weights

> > another edit: saw u play x in driver. if u have mixed stiffness and it works/you were fitted, i would go get fitted. 3 iron shaft choice makes a big difference

>

> I have never had a fitting in my 20 years playing golf (im 35). I have never really had the extra money for it, i would rather spend it on rounds of golf or balls and gloves etc. I have always played stiff, standard length irons and about 10 years ago I moved to X in driver after my friends could literally see my shaft flexing 3 inches at the top of my backswing. Are mixed flex clubs a bad thing? I see a few tour pros use the same approach, X in woods, stiff in irons. I like the X in driver so i can be aggressive.

Next time you are buying a new driver, find a good local retailer and they will fit you for free. It is worth it to get fit. 100%.

If you swing hard enough to need an x flex shaft, a well fit shaft will immensely help you on the tee... getting a long drive in play makes the game much more fun.

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58