2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Is Rickie Fowler the most overrated player on tour?

tsecor

> @kwelifan said:

> In what way is he overrated? "Only" 9 wins is more than 99.9% of pro golfers will ever have.

> If you mean he's more famous than good, then maybe.

Being overhyped is getting more media attention than your play deserves. Rickie is a very good pro, but he is the definition of overhyped - at least at this point. He's right behind Tiger and Phil as far as media attention, but his play is obviously inferior.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @kwelifan said:

> > In what way is he overrated? "Only" 9 wins is more than 99.9% of pro golfers will ever have.

> > If you mean he's more famous than good, then maybe.

>

> Being overhyped is getting more media attention than your play deserves. Rickie is a very good pro, but he is the definition of overhyped - at least at this point. He's right behind Tiger and Phil as far as media attention, but his play is obviously inferior.

14th in the world, 37 million in total earnings. Not really sure you can call that over-hyped. He's just not in the winner's circle as much as you would think, but he consistently golfs at a very high level

• Like 1

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @kwelifan said:

> > In what way is he overrated? "Only" 9 wins is more than 99.9% of pro golfers will ever have.

>

> Being overhyped is getting more media attention than your play deserves. Rickie is a very good pro, but he is the definition of overhyped - at least at this point. He's right behind Tiger and Phil as far as media attention, but his play is obviously inferior.

Sorry, he gets more media attention and more advertisements because he can. His play supports his media status, but he just hits above his weight in doing commercials. You've seen the other guys give it their best, they are just bad. It's no wonder he gets more sponsors. He does a better job for them.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > @kwelifan said:

> > > In what way is he overrated? "Only" 9 wins is more than 99.9% of pro golfers will ever have.

> > > If you mean he's more famous than good, then maybe.

> >

> > Being overhyped is getting more media attention than your play deserves. Rickie is a very good pro, but he is the definition of overhyped - at least at this point. He's right behind Tiger and Phil as far as media attention, but his play is obviously inferior.

>

> 14th in the world, 37 million in total earnings. Not really sure you can call that over-hyped. He's just not in the winner's circle as much as you would think, but he consistently golfs at a very high level

Bryson Deschambeau did in 18 months what ricky did in 10 years on tour. Absolutely overhyped. he doesnt win enough to warrant the media he gets. Seems like a good guy but being consistently good and winning every 3 years shouldnt give you that much media but hey orange clothes or something...

• Like 2

For sure, he plays very well, but cannot win....... he does have marketability though, cannot deny that...

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

> @tsecor said:

> he is one of the games greats, 2 wins this year and all top 10's..having a great great season.....HOF'er > @dalehead said:

> > Rory was at one time the best player in the world and looked on track to be one of the games greats. Any criticism of him centers around the fact that his performance of the last few years hasn't lived up to that early promise.

>

>

Rory future HOF, yes. But not yet one of the games greats. By great I mean Tiger, Jack, Hogan, Jones great. He’s still in the second tier behind players like that. Maybe someday, but not today.

he is only 30 yrs old. His records are right there with those guys. He has to keep it going though...but he is already a HOFer> @dalehead said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > he is one of the games greats, 2 wins this year and all top 10's..having a great great season.....HOF'er > @dalehead said:

> > > Rory was at one time the best player in the world and looked on track to be one of the games greats. Any criticism of him centers around the fact that his performance of the last few years hasn't lived up to that early promise.

> >

> >

> Rory future HOF, yes. But not yet one of the games greats. By great I mean Tiger, Jack, Hogan, Jones great. He’s still in the second tier behind players like that. Maybe someday, but not today.

>

> @QMany said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > Probably Cam champ or Rory if I’m voting as far as overrated goes. More airtime for less output. Spieth gets alt of airtime. But it’s to run down. And tell why he won’t win. They are always telling us why Rory will win. And then another major goes and nothing. ** And champ. Is he even playing anymore ? **

>

> He's been struggling since a back injury in February-March. He is in the field this week.

Knock on wood, he's co-leader early in R2...

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

> @chigolfer1 said:

> He doesn't win nearly enough but from a pure performance standpoint, big no. He's been in or just outside top 10 for six straight years. He's sort of a consistent, money making, non-winning machine.

> End of year OWGR:

> Current 14

> 2018 11

> 2017 7

> 2016 12

> 2015 6

> 2014 10

He's the modern day Fred Couples. Although, Couples did win a major and was ranked #1 for a little while before the back went out. But overall, Rickie is basically Fred Couples. A lot of people like him, seems popular, plays well most of the time, but doesn't seal the deal in the majors.

This is a really tough question to answer but here are my thoughts.....

Fowler gets a lot of media attention, both traditional and social. He often gets the 'glamour draws' and is in the featured groups. I'm assuming he has pretty big endorsement deals too. There are other people with less hype who have achieved more.

HOWEVER.......

Fowler has a phenomenal major record for top 10's p, few have better stats or scoring averages in majors. He has so few missed cuts and almost always lurks around the upper quartile of any leader board. He's won several big events (non major) in an era where anyone can win any week of the year.

As a golfer with ability and talent I think he's right up there where he should be but unfortunately this hasn't translated into as many wins as it should have.

Final point, Rickie appears to be a likeable and stand up guy, so regardless of what he does or does not achieve on the course, he's good for the sport.

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 10.5 - Tour AD GP 7X
Taylormade M3 15* - Kai'li 80X
GAPR Lo 2 iron - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Taylormade P760, 4 - PW - Project XLZ 6.5
Vokey SM7 50F, 55M, 60D - Project X 6.0
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport Beach 1.5 

[b][u][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/965589-chriswrightstuff-first-ever-witb/page__p__8603789#entry8603789"][color=#000000]WITB Link[/color][/url][/u][/b][/font]

Instagram - Cwrightstuff

> @"Holy Moses" said:

> > @kwelifan said:

>

Thread title said overrated. Overhyped is a completely different thing.

> @tsecor said:

> he is only 30 yrs old. His records are right there with those guys. He has to keep it going though...but he is already a HOFer> @dalehead said:

> > > @tsecor said:

> > > he is one of the games greats, 2 wins this year and all top 10's..having a great great season.....HOF'er > @dalehead said:

> > > > Rory was at one time the best player in the world and looked on track to be one of the games greats. Any criticism of him centers around the fact that his performance of the last few years hasn't lived up to that early promise.

> > >

> > >

> > Rory future HOF, yes. But not yet one of the games greats. By great I mean Tiger, Jack, Hogan, Jones great. He’s still in the second tier behind players like that. Maybe someday, but not today.

> >

>

> Unless I missed Rory's induction he's still a future HOFer.

exactly...Thank you> @kwelifan said:

> > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > @kwelifan said:

> > > In what way is he overrated? "Only" 9 wins is more than 99.9% of pro golfers will ever have.

> > > If you mean he's more famous than good, then maybe.

> >

> > Being overhyped is getting more media attention than your play deserves. Rickie is a very good pro, but he is the definition of overhyped - at least at this point. He's right behind Tiger and Phil as far as media attention, but his play is obviously inferior.

> Thread title said overrated. Overhyped is a completely different thing.

>

lol...yes, good point.....im just saying he is assured to be......> @dalehead said:

> > @tsecor said:

> > he is only 30 yrs old. His records are right there with those guys. He has to keep it going though...but he is already a HOFer> @dalehead said:

> > > > @tsecor said:

> > > > he is one of the games greats, 2 wins this year and all top 10's..having a great great season.....HOF'er > @dalehead said:

> > > > > Rory was at one time the best player in the world and looked on track to be one of the games greats. Any criticism of him centers around the fact that his performance of the last few years hasn't lived up to that early promise.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > Rory future HOF, yes. But not yet one of the games greats. By great I mean Tiger, Jack, Hogan, Jones great. He’s still in the second tier behind players like that. Maybe someday, but not today.

> > >

> >

> > Unless I missed Rory's induction he's still a future HOFer.

>

>

> @tsecor said:

> exactly...Thank you> @kwelifan said:

> > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > @kwelifan said:

> > > > In what way is he overrated? "Only" 9 wins is more than 99.9% of pro golfers will ever have.

> > > > If you mean he's more famous than good, then maybe.

> > >

> > > Being overhyped is getting more media attention than your play deserves. Rickie is a very good pro, but he is the definition of overhyped - at least at this point. He's right behind Tiger and Phil as far as media attention, but his play is obviously inferior.

> > Thread title said overrated. Overhyped is a completely different thing.

> >

>

>

But in the original post both terms were used with a direction connection drawn between the two "With all the hype he gets and only 9 career wins with 0 majors, is he the most overrated player on tour? If not, who else would be on that list?"

A golfer can get media attention for all sorts of reasons, just ask Tiger.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @lowheel said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > @kwelifan said:

> > > > In what way is he overrated? "Only" 9 wins is more than 99.9% of pro golfers will ever have.

> > > > If you mean he's more famous than good, then maybe.

> > >

> > > Being overhyped is getting more media attention than your play deserves. Rickie is a very good pro, but he is the definition of overhyped - at least at this point. He's right behind Tiger and Phil as far as media attention, but his play is obviously inferior.

> >

> > 14th in the world, 37 million in total earnings. Not really sure you can call that over-hyped. He's just not in the winner's circle as much as you would think, but he consistently golfs at a very high level

>

> Bryson Deschambeau did in 18 months what ricky did in 10 years on tour. Absolutely overhyped. he doesnt win enough to warrant the media he gets. Seems like a good guy but being consistently good and winning every 3 years shouldnt give you that much media but hey orange clothes or something...

Here are a few other numbers that put Fowlers 5 PGA Tour wins over 10 years and 226 starts in a different light....Not in a good way. The numbers below for Thomas, Day and Spieth are from when they won their first event in that season not total events played for the year.

Justin Thomas in 2017. 5 wins in 23 starts on the PGA Tour with a major.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=14139&year=2017

Jason Day in 2015. 5 wins in 17 starts on the PGA Tour including a major.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=9771&year=2015

Jordan Spieth in 2015. 5 wins in 19 starts on the PGA Tour including 2 majors.

http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=14636&year=2015

Brooks Koepka from the start of 2015 (his first full season as a PGA Tour member). 6 wins, 4 majors in around 100 officlal PGA Tour starts.

> @grm24 said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > @kwelifan said:

> > > > > In what way is he overrated? "Only" 9 wins is more than 99.9% of pro golfers will ever have.

> > > > > If you mean he's more famous than good, then maybe.

> > > >

> > > > Being overhyped is getting more media attention than your play deserves. Rickie is a very good pro, but he is the definition of overhyped - at least at this point. He's right behind Tiger and Phil as far as media attention, but his play is obviously inferior.

> > >

> > > 14th in the world, 37 million in total earnings. Not really sure you can call that over-hyped. He's just not in the winner's circle as much as you would think, but he consistently golfs at a very high level

> >

> > Bryson Deschambeau did in 18 months what ricky did in 10 years on tour. Absolutely overhyped. he doesnt win enough to warrant the media he gets. Seems like a good guy but being consistently good and winning every 3 years shouldnt give you that much media but hey orange clothes or something...

>

> Here are a few other numbers that put Fowlers 5 PGA Tour wins over 10 years and 226 starts in a different light....Not in a good way. The numbers below for Thomas, Day and Spieth are from when they won their first event in that season not total events played for the year.

>

> Justin Thomas in 2017. 5 wins in 23 starts on the PGA Tour with a major.

> http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=14139&year=2017

>

> Jason Day in 2015. 5 wins in 17 starts on the PGA Tour including a major.

> http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=9771&year=2015

>

> Jordan Spieth in 2015. 5 wins in 19 starts on the PGA Tour including 2 majors.

> http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=14636&year=2015

>

> Brooks Koepka from the start of 2015 (his first full season as a PGA Tour member). 6 wins, 4 majors in around 100 officlal PGA Tour starts.

>

>

>

>

No joke, I almost posted these as well but just did Bryson.I dont dislike the guy, i think hes great with kids and signs for everybody.Companies want to pay him for advertising their goods? How could i blame him for that? id do the same thing.He has plenty of game but not that X factor that puts him over the edge. hes consistently good but not great.I believe he has more to give and has the skills to finish his career with double digit wins and maybe a major. Will he do it? who knows but i dont begrudge the guy for making bank, i just dont get the medias constant lifting him up above other players who have accomplished more, way more than him.

• Like 1

> @lowheel said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @lowheel said:

> > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > @"Holy Moses" said:

> > > > > > @kwelifan said:

> > > > > > In what way is he overrated? "Only" 9 wins is more than 99.9% of pro golfers will ever have.

> > > > > > If you mean he's more famous than good, then maybe.

> > > > >

> > > > > Being overhyped is getting more media attention than your play deserves. Rickie is a very good pro, but he is the definition of overhyped - at least at this point. He's right behind Tiger and Phil as far as media attention, but his play is obviously inferior.

> > > >

> > > > 14th in the world, 37 million in total earnings. Not really sure you can call that over-hyped. He's just not in the winner's circle as much as you would think, but he consistently golfs at a very high level

> > >

> > > Bryson Deschambeau did in 18 months what ricky did in 10 years on tour. Absolutely overhyped. he doesnt win enough to warrant the media he gets. Seems like a good guy but being consistently good and winning every 3 years shouldnt give you that much media but hey orange clothes or something...

> >

> > Here are a few other numbers that put Fowlers 5 PGA Tour wins over 10 years and 226 starts in a different light....Not in a good way. The numbers below for Thomas, Day and Spieth are from when they won their first event in that season not total events played for the year.

> >

> > Justin Thomas in 2017. 5 wins in 23 starts on the PGA Tour with a major.

> > http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=14139&year=2017

> >

> > Jason Day in 2015. 5 wins in 17 starts on the PGA Tour including a major.

> > http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=9771&year=2015

> >

> > Jordan Spieth in 2015. 5 wins in 19 starts on the PGA Tour including 2 majors.

> > http://www.owgr.com/en/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=14636&year=2015

> >

> > Brooks Koepka from the start of 2015 (his first full season as a PGA Tour member). 6 wins, 4 majors in around 100 officlal PGA Tour starts.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

> No joke, I almost posted these as well but just did Bryson.I dont dislike the guy, i think hes great with kids and signs for everybody.Companies want to pay him for advertising their goods? How could i blame him for that? id do the same thing.He has plenty of game but not that X factor that puts him over the edge. hes consistently good but not great.I believe he has more to give and has the skills to finish his career with double digit wins and maybe a major. Will he do it? who knows but i dont begrudge the guy for making bank, **i just dont get the medias constant lifting him up above other players who have accomplished more, way more than him**.

The media is no different than companies. They're gonna target players who SELL. Wins in and of themselves, don't sell anything. If you go on a serious run like Brooks recently or others who have dominated for a stretch you can force the media's hand, but otherwise, they are looking for all of the "other" qualities not related to golf. Those are the things that sell. Rickie has a huge social media presence and most of the stuff he puts out isn't golf related. He's an advertising department's wet dream. I think the bare minimum for companies is making cuts consistently if you have all that "other" stuff. I know a lot of people who follow him on social media and don't even golf or watch golf.

I hate social media personally, but there's no denying it's money making power if you can put out stuff want to see and gain a mass of followers.

Why Paul casey gets mentioned at all in the majors escapes me. Not to knock the guy, but he has no chance....none....against the best players of today. He had a slight window years ago but then your rorys, Brooks, Jordans, and a slew of others showed up and slammed it shut.

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT MMT 95

Callaway X Forged CB 21' 4-PW Modus 120

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

Overhyped yes. The UK TV pundits rave about him even when he blows a lead....he is a like a band that have a marketable lead singer and have hits but never nail the superstar status. The fact he gets a lot of high profile draws with more successful players points to strong marketing. And Rickee. Lose the moustache.

It makes sense to separate "overhyped" and "overrated". Certainly he gets more tv time than guys with a better record than him, which by definition, supports the argument he is "overhyped". But overrated? I'd say- probably not. Because you almost never hear people make the case that he's one of the best 3 or so players in the world. Someone posted some stats of Justin Thomas, Jason Day and Jordan Speith… yeah I think those guys all climbed to #1 in the world! No one has ever made the argument that Fowler has played at that level, at a #1 in the world type of level.

As far as overhyped... in my opinion it's just the PGA (and marketers) riding someone who is popular. And lets face it, the game of golf isn't growing and Fowler crosses some cultural lines. If golf wants to only rely on the members of the local country club to produce kids and indoctrinate those kids at an early age into their country club lifestyle... golf will be next to nothing in 20 years. Golf needs to draw in kids from other backgrounds. Fowler doesn't come across as that country club kid who came from money and a lot of kids/people relate to that. He brings in more eyeballs and bodies to the game of golf and because of that everyone benefits (bigger tour purses, more marketing, larger crowds/events, more sales and tech, etc...).

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if I were to be drawn in the same light.

Over rated? Not when you continually play on the weekend.

Over hyped? What other player draws more attention from the _youngest_ to the _oldest_ of players?

Golf needs every ounce of (positive) stimulus possible especially with the younger generation. If Rickie is helping, doing this, then over hype, over rate away.

• Like 2

> @Shilgy said:

> > @Lagavulin62 said:

> > I don’t see his talent getting overhyped either. He is in a way sort of the male version of Anna Kournikova for golf. Meaning the women love him, he’s attractive and has a great personality, is a good guy. Plus he also appeals to the men, very like able. All of that is A+ for marketing. It’s probably been a sacrifice to his game. But as another posted said, if he can win one major, all this talk will end.

> >

> > If you want to talk about a guy overrated strictly for his golf, my vote goes out to Ian Poulter. But that’s a whole different discussion.

>

> Poulter has won more than Fowler though......

True. But Poulter has never won a major, and never will. I wonder though if he would have received as much hype had he been American? Sometimes I think Europeans who win on that tour are hyped too early? So it may not be his doing so much. Still it gets very old hearing all the talk of him winning a major possibly. It will never happen. And I don’t really think that is a disappointment to his career. I sort of feel he overachieved. As much as I knock him for not winning a major, he is not even in the ballpark with guys like Westwood for not winning a major. Westie has absolutely no excuse. Even Darren Clarke managed to get one.