My Paper Tiger journey / 1 year full time golfer job starts Monday 7-1-19

grantc79

I’d recommend doing some sort of strength and mobility workouts. Focus on quick workouts with the basic compound movements( trap bar deadlift, traditional squat and split squats, press/pull, etc). Don’t go crazy just something to build a little strength. Then lots of mobility work to keep body loose. Adding yoga a few times a week has been huge for me and not just lifting all the time.

• Like 1

bro it sounds like your putting is what is holding you back. You said yourself you have hardly ever practiced putting. If I may ask what speed greens are you putting on and what kind of grip are you using on the putter. The best drill is the around the horn drill and the one tiger uses with the tees in the ground. I also noticed you say you play on a course that is only 6,600 yards. If you make your goal and you are shooting par on your home course, when you go play a longer course thats at least 7,000 you will likely be 3-4 shots worse. At your age courses should be at least 6,800. Just some observations. good luck!

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > LOL, if those last pics are of the OP, I dare someone to tell him this won't work!

>

> I think that’s Bruce Koepka.

LOL! I could lie and say I knew that, but I looked quick and didn't even notice!

And OP, if you are going to have a year long journey and talking about your swing, let's get the FO and DTL posted up so there's a baseline and the swing thoughts/advice/stabs in the dark can be coherent. ;-)

• Like 1

> @TIM929 said:

> Good luck OP and hope you reach your goal asap!

>

> Might be a dumb question and I didn't catch it if already answered, but did you get fit for all your clubs(especially putter)?

Yup

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @Cpr3584 said:

> bro it sounds like your putting is what is holding you back. You said yourself you have hardly ever practiced putting. If I may ask what speed greens are you putting on and what kind of grip are you using on the putter. The best drill is the around the horn drill and the one tiger uses with the tees in the ground. I also noticed you say you play on a course that is only 6,600 yards. If you make your goal and you are shooting par on your home course, when you go play a longer course thats at least 7,000 you will likely be 3-4 shots worse. At your age courses should be at least 6,800. Just some observations. good luck!

Honestly my handicap was lower on my old 7100 yard course

This course is 6600 hellacious yards that you have to hit draws and fades off each box on with small greens

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > LOL, if those last pics are of the OP, I dare someone to tell him this won't work!

> >

> > I think that’s Bruce Koepka.

>

> LOL! I could lie and say I knew that, but I looked quick and didn't even notice!

>

> And OP, if you are going to have a year long journey and talking about your swing, let's get the FO and DTL posted up so there's a baseline and the swing thoughts/advice/stabs in the dark can be coherent. ;-)

That's coming soon

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > LOL, if those last pics are of the OP, I dare someone to tell him this won't work!

> >

> > I think that’s Bruce Koepka.

>

> LOL! I could lie and say I knew that, but I looked quick and didn't even notice!

>

> And OP, if you are going to have a year long journey and talking about your swing, let's get the FO and DTL posted up so there's a baseline and the swing thoughts/advice/stabs in the dark can be coherent. ;-)

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/view/DAAqIR7V

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> DTL and it's officially a party!

Working on it.

Had a lesson yesterday and worked on a lot of full swing and putting stuff, specifically time signatures with a Blast adapter. I'll post an update later tonight, very cool stuff.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I’m a few months into 53. I still work waayyyy toooo much and will not likely stop anytime soon. I can’t help but I’m in to follow your journey.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Flat, Hoganish backswing but you move your head toward the target on the downswing, cast the club and have an over the top move. You have to fix those issues if you want to be a scratch or better player, IMO.

Take that assessment to your teacher and see what he has to say.

Edit: this assessment was based on the original face on video posted in the link.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

So, lesson yesterday here's the update:

Full Swing: Worked on getting more upright on my backswing. Worked on keeping my right knee bend and not letting my right hit move backwards at all in my backswing. No surprise similar to what I posted earlier with the pic of Koepka. The upright move basically eliminated the slight uptick I have in my transition. As an added bonus the upright move and lack of hip rotation got me much more into my right arch instead of my right heel. This made a weight transfer forward much much easier. After working on those things we incorporated the slide to the left arch and the club actually started to drop into the slot properly and my normal push draw was back on the menu.

Putting: Worked on widening my stance, now have 18 inches in between my feet. Worked on ball position exactly 9 inches from my toes to the ball. Immediately went home and drew lines and placed dots on my home practicing green to repeat that setup. Added bonus when I set up properly with those measures I no longer need the putting mirror, its perfect every time.

The HUGE epiphany moment was the Blast adapter that I picked up. Basically the best putters on tour have a very similar time signature with their back stroke to forward stroke. That ratio is 2:1 back to front and .6 seconds back swing and .3 seconds to impact. It doesn't matter the length of the putt its always the same ratio ideally. The blast adapter basically fits on your club and gives you a million putting stats the most important for me being time signature working on .6 back swing and then .3 impact with the ball. I'm now hitting 8 foot and 4 foot putts working on mastering that tempo.

https://blastmotion.com/products/golf/#gref

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> @PowderedToastMan said:

> Flat, Hoganish backswing but you move your head toward the target on the downswing, cast the club and have an over the top move. You have to fix those issues if you want to be a scratch or better player, IMO.

>

> Take that assessment to your teacher and see what he has to say.

Yah I don't cast it, I do have a slight uptick at the top of my swing but I smooth it out after and do swing inside out every single swing. The uptick is what causes me to get the pull hooks and blocks at times which is what I'm trying to get rid of and we have the solution for now I think.

Pause the video and you can see my hands past the ball and the ball still hasn't moved so there isn't throw away there.

Hard to generate these numbers casting :wink:

7qb5z2fbvxuw.jpg

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

> Flat, Hoganish backswing but you move your head toward the target on the downswing, cast the club and have an over the top move. You have to fix those issues if you want to be a scratch or better player, IMO.

>

> Take that assessment to your teacher and see what he has to say.

We can’t be looking at the same swing..apart from the front on the only video I can see is the dtl 8 iron? Couldn’t be any steeper..there are 7 other videos but it’s says they aren’t secure..

> @milesgiles said:

> > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > Flat, Hoganish backswing but you move your head toward the target on the downswing, cast the club and have an over the top move. You have to fix those issues if you want to be a scratch or better player, IMO.

> >

> > Take that assessment to your teacher and see what he has to say.

>

> We can’t be looking at the same swing..apart from the front on the only video I can see is the dtl 8 iron? Couldn’t be any steeper..there are 7 other videos but it’s says they aren’t secure..

>

You’re right. Clearly, the OP was doing some sort of drill in the FO that he wasn’t in that down the line 8 iron video, or vice versa (I only saw the face on). This is why you post dtl and face on of your swings on the same day on the same or similar swings. He’s trying to be upright backswing with the DTL and flat with the FO. Essentially says that in his lesson summary. The OTT move is much reduced in the DTL video, I will admit.

OP, that DTL swing, you still steepen the shaft a lot on the downswing (hence why your teacher wants you to “drop the club in the slot”). You realize it’s possible to steepen the shaft and have an OTT move in transition and hit the ball in to out, right? Or that it’s possible to hook and block the ball hitting out to in? You can say you don’t release the club early and aren’t steep, but it doesn’t make it true. Your lesson summary contradicts what you’re saying. You wouldn’t be trying to flatten the shaft on the downswing, as your teacher suggests, if you weren’t struggling with what I said. Your club shaft is practically vertical in transition and your first move down is steepening and shifting the upper body left. When you shift left with your upper body like that, you have to cast the club to shallow out or you’d be crazy steep and possibly miss the ball. Your swing is a patchwork of compensations.

Also, 165 mph ball speed carrying it 300 is equivalent to hitting it off a small mountain. Doesn’t add up. I’m not here to argue with you though. If you like where your swing is at, great. The rest of us with some experience can see the flaws though and can see that putting isn’t what is holding you back from scratch. And you aren’t tour long based on your ball speed, you’re not even Zach Johnson long. You’re going to need a dose of reality and throw your ego out the door and not think you know everything if you want to actually reach your goal.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Dude looks a lot like Ricky Fowler?

I’ve seen this movie abt 100 times before. Very reminiscent of guys who tell you they want to be World Cup skiers but still learning to snowplow so they are devoting every waking hour to this noble quest. This is code for “I am a ski bum but please think of me as searching for the golden chalice. You plebes may feel free to Join me in my journey!”

> @oikos1 said:

> It will be an impressive feat if you continue to post at your current rate and achieve your goal. Very intrigued.

Haha thats so true, its motivational for me the journey is probably as much fun as the achievement.

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

You can absolutely do this - I don't think it'll even take a year tbh. I went from 12-5-0 in about a year and only put in a few hours a week at the driving range. My only tip would be to play as much as you practice & spend as much time learning how to score as you do working on your actual swing. You can be a scratch player with an imperfect swing.

• Like 1

> > @milesgiles said:

> > > @PowderedToastMan said:

> > > Flat, Hoganish backswing but you move your head toward the target on the downswing, cast the club and have an over the top move. You have to fix those issues if you want to be a scratch or better player, IMO.

> > >

> > > Take that assessment to your teacher and see what he has to say.

> >

> > We can’t be looking at the same swing..apart from the front on the only video I can see is the dtl 8 iron? Couldn’t be any steeper..there are 7 other videos but it’s says they aren’t secure..

> >

> You’re right. Clearly, the OP was doing some sort of drill in the FO that he wasn’t in that down the line 8 iron video, or vice versa (I only saw the face on). This is why you post dtl and face on of your swings on the same day on the same or similar swings. He’s trying to be upright backswing with the DTL and flat with the FO. Essentially says that in his lesson summary. The OTT move is much reduced in the DTL video, I will admit.

>

> OP, that DTL swing, you still steepen the shaft a lot on the downswing (hence why your teacher wants you to “drop the club in the slot”). You realize it’s possible to steepen the shaft and have an OTT move in transition and hit the ball in to out, right? Or that it’s possible to hook and block the ball hitting out to in? You can say you don’t release the club early and aren’t steep, but it doesn’t make it true. Your lesson summary contradicts what you’re saying. You wouldn’t be trying to flatten the shaft on the downswing, as your teacher suggests, if you weren’t struggling with what I said. Your club shaft is practically vertical in transition and your first move down is steepening and shifting the upper body left. When you shift left with your upper body like that, you have to cast the club to shallow out or you’d be crazy steep and possibly miss the ball. Your swing is a patchwork of compensations.

>

> Also, 165 mph ball speed carrying it 300 is equivalent to hitting it off a small mountain. Doesn’t add up. I’m not here to argue with you though. If you like where your swing is at, great. The rest of us with some experience can see the flaws though and can see that putting isn’t what is holding you back from scratch. And you aren’t tour long based on your ball speed, you’re not even Zach Johnson long. You’re going to need a dose of reality and throw your ego out the door and not think you know everything if you want to actually reach your goal.

>

That's plenty of speed to play all but the biggest golf courses. Certainly won't hold him back from scratch (or better). And if the club speed is accurate improving efficiency will only lead to more ball speed.

I'm interested to see a DTL view.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

> @grantc79 said:

> > @milesgiles said:

> > > @badboggs said:

> > > Good luck with your quest. I'm about your age and got to do this myself back in the post college days. Have fun. My advise is to stay off the range. Get out and play a lot of golf. Learn how to play the game and forget trying to be perfect with your technique. Find guys that can play and learn to play for money. Do not waste time hitting range balls off of mats. Get fit for your equipment and don't be afraid to experiment. My favorite practice technique is to play rounds of golf by yourself, play two balls all the way around. This will give you the opportunity to get in more volume and you get immediate feedback on what works and what doesn't. Have fun.

> >

> > Merely a difference of opinion, but your swing is going to have to not be far off perfect to get near scratch, which will need very specific and focused practise drills. 4 hours on the course is 4 hours you could have been practising, which is a substantial amount.

> > I wouldn’t play more than twice a week in your shoes, and that’s with 30 hours spare. Have you got a swing video? Be fun to see the improvements over a year..

> > My ‘tip’, for what it’s worth.. playing or practising for 30 hours is a lot of stress and strain on elbows and wrists, try swinging in slow motion, 100 yard full swing 7 irons, it’s much easier to get your swing into good positions and sequence and a lot less strain on your joints. Don’t know how many pros or teachers do this or recommend it however..

> >

> >

>

> Truly amazing the difference in opinions people have. All of my really, really good golfer friends (pro level guys) tell me just practice short game and play golf and don't spend much time on the full swing.

>

> I've always been more in your camp where I will work a lot more on full swing stuff and go out and beat balls a lot but not work as much on short game stuff or on the course management stuff which has lead to me striking the ball like a scratch golfer with an 8 handicap.

>

> Looking at current and former professional players with truly jacked up swings that made millions I'm going to focus a lot less on full swings but the full swings that I do make each one will have a very specific purpose to fix a swing fault.

What's your goal with your swing in 25 words or less? @grantc79?

> @milesgiles said:

> >

> >

> >

> I’ve never played with any British scratch or better that had a ‘flawed’ swing. Someone mentioned Furyk, DJ and Trevino (and others)..I think furyk and Trevino have very, very sound if unconventional methods. DJ’s obviously works I’m not entirely sure how..massive talent at a guess. Bubba? I’ve seen other guys with similarities that couldn’t break a hundred.

> If you are going to devote 30 hours a week to golf why wouldn’t you want to get your swing as technically sound as possible?

>

These questions are EXACTLY why we need to MEASURE before we make changes to decrease the missteps and wasted time. @milesgiles @airjammer you can both be dead on right.

Since the goal is to score based, that has to be the first priority. How much the full swing is impacting the OP's scores depends on where it's at don't you think?

@grantc79 measure twice cut once my friend. Congrats on the improved shortgame play and the nice 81.