2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Olympic Club or Cal Club?

golfinguru11

Thanks for the feedback on Peninsula - I hadn't known it was that pricey.  I'm on the list for LMGC (they said it was about two years at this point for proprietary, and good luck if you are trying for the junior membership), it seems like the best fit and I can just take the kids to the local pool for about 937 years before it approaches the cost difference.  I just want a great golf club that isn't super crowded with members that are passionate about the game, and I like the feeling I get from LMGC on that.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/30/2019 at 12:08 PM, golfinguru11 said:

Background: Young professional, will be working at a big SF firm in two or three years. 4 handicap, my parents belong to a Bay Area club (expensive but not exclusive), girlfriend’s family is old catholic sf money. I am Jewish.

My question is, how difficult would it be to get into Olympic Club or Cal Club? And if I did get in, how weird would the fit be? I know one Jewish member at Olympic but they have a 9 figure net worth so I’m not sure that counts the same. I am the furthest thing from blue blood but the thought of my home course being a top 50-100 course is incredible.

Obviously, Lake Merced is the sensible choice and the fit would be better. The golf isn’t as good though. Any honest replies are appreciated, thanks.

I would convert to the Episcopal Church. They don’t offend anyone.  🤣😂🤣

@carrera and any others with knowledge of this.  I am an okay golfer in his mid-30s looking to at least get on a waitlist somewhere ahead of when I will have the time to really enjoy it.  I have some friends at Olympic and in East Bay clubs but don't want to raise the question of joining until I am pretty set on a place, so I am asking here.  How common is it for someone in San Francisco to join an East Bay club or somewhere in Marin?  And what is the initiation fee/monthly dues at a Claremont/Orinda/Meadow?  Roughly how long are the waiting lists?  

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/5/2022 at 1:49 PM, JohnnyBGoode92 said:

How common is it for someone in San Francisco to join an East Bay club or somewhere in Marin? 

There are many who do that.  Usually with expectation that eventually they will move closer to the area, whether it is Oakland/Piedmont/Lamorinda, or Marin.

And what is the initiation fee/monthly dues at a Claremont/Orinda/Meadow?

Those three range from around $65 to $85k initiation.  Claremont (I believe) and Orinda include an equity portion of roughly a third of your initiation.  Meadow is no-equity.  Dues at each (the dues are family based, so great if you have a wife and kids to amortize the cost over) are roughly $1000-1200/mo at Orinda and Claremont, and probably a bit more at Meadow.  In addition, there are food minimums and you will no doubt spend more if you are at the club socializing and playing a lot of golf.

Roughly how long are the waiting lists?  

Each has a process.  Orinda would probably take you close to a year for a golf membership, Claremont a bit longer, and Meadow is about 3-4 for a social membership and 8-10 years for full proprietary.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 7:33 PM, carrera said:

There are many who do that.  Usually with expectation that eventually they will move closer to the area, whether it is Oakland/Piedmont/Lamorinda, or Marin.

Those three range from around $65 to $85k initiation.  Claremont (I believe) and Orinda include an equity portion of roughly a third of your initiation.  Meadow is no-equity.  Dues at each (the dues are family based, so great if you have a wife and kids to amortize the cost over) are roughly $1000-1200/mo at Orinda and Claremont, and probably a bit more at Meadow.  In addition, there are food minimums and you will no doubt spend more if you are at the club socializing and playing a lot of golf.

Each has a process.  Orinda would probably take you close to a year for a golf membership, Claremont a bit longer, and Meadow is about 3-4 for a social membership and 8-10 years for full proprietary.

This poster is very correct.  

Only caveat I would add - there are a decent amount of folks in SF (like me) that live in the city and play out in Marin or South Bay.  For me, its about the weather.  I can get to Meadow in about 35-40 minutes.  Not a bad trade for great weather.  Plenty of friends who also do the city to BurlingameCC.   It gets stretched when you are talking about Mayacama - that is a haul from the city.

On 10/22/2022 at 8:52 PM, scc13 said:

This poster is very correct.  

Only caveat I would add - there are a decent amount of folks in SF (like me) that live in the city and play out in Marin or South Bay.  For me, its about the weather.  I can get to Meadow in about 35-40 minutes.  Not a bad trade for great weather.  Plenty of friends who also do the city to BurlingameCC.   It gets stretched when you are talking about Mayacama - that is a haul from the city.

Thanks @scc13.  Anything to keep in mind when joining one of the bay area clubs mentioned here that you would not necessarily find out through friends who are members/playing there a few times? A lot of inside info has been written about Olympic and Cal but not the others.

5 minutes ago, JohnnyBGoode92 said:

Thanks @scc13.  Anything to keep in mind when joining one of the bay area clubs mentioned here that you would not necessarily find out through friends who are members/playing there a few times? A lot of inside info has been written about Olympic and Cal but not the others.

Unfortunately, it is the standard advice.

At any club that is reasonably exclusive (i.e. there is a real membership process), you need one member who feels very strongly about you that will champion you through the process.   Even if you don't have the requisite #s of recommenders, that member will rally their friends to get out with you, write for you, etc.  

So, how do you get that? Part of it is just networking with golfers.  I have buddies at almost every club that I would want to play at, so when I invite them to my club they will often reciprocate at theirs.  

Now, if I was totally new to the area? That's a bit tougher.  Networking with folks at your job/in your industry and finding golfers there is one way.  And keep in mind (I am sure you know this), when I bring someone out, I don't care if they shoot 70 or 100 as long as they keep pace and are fun to be around.  That will get an invite back.   Even if you can't reciprocate with a round at a club, you can always take your host out to dinner.  

Also, depending on the club, when you are out on the course, letting your partners know that you are looking around at clubs to join, that may prompt an offer or targeted suggestions.  

One club that folks probably have mentioned is Lake Merced.  Pre-renovation, it was probably one of the easier clubs to get into.  I have heard fantastic things about the Hanse renovation, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear it be discussed in a few years like how people are talking about Cal Club now.  

I think Olympic Club is a fantastic club/resource to play, but it does not feel, at all, like a typical club.  People go there with their own groups and there really isn't a whole lot of mixing with new people/guests.  (I have been a member for almost 20 years).  So you are not very likely to network from there to other clubs.  

Happy to answer other questions or clarify - not sure if I addressed your core question.

2 hours ago, scc13 said:

Unfortunately, it is the standard advice.

At any club that is reasonably exclusive (i.e. there is a real membership process), you need one member who feels very strongly about you that will champion you through the process.   Even if you don't have the requisite #s of recommenders, that member will rally their friends to get out with you, write for you, etc.  

So, how do you get that? Part of it is just networking with golfers.  I have buddies at almost every club that I would want to play at, so when I invite them to my club they will often reciprocate at theirs.  

Now, if I was totally new to the area? That's a bit tougher.  Networking with folks at your job/in your industry and finding golfers there is one way.  And keep in mind (I am sure you know this), when I bring someone out, I don't care if they shoot 70 or 100 as long as they keep pace and are fun to be around.  That will get an invite back.   Even if you can't reciprocate with a round at a club, you can always take your host out to dinner.  

Also, depending on the club, when you are out on the course, letting your partners know that you are looking around at clubs to join, that may prompt an offer or targeted suggestions.  

One club that folks probably have mentioned is Lake Merced.  Pre-renovation, it was probably one of the easier clubs to get into.  I have heard fantastic things about the Hanse renovation, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear it be discussed in a few years like how people are talking about Cal Club now.  

I think Olympic Club is a fantastic club/resource to play, but it does not feel, at all, like a typical club.  People go there with their own groups and there really isn't a whole lot of mixing with new people/guests.  (I have been a member for almost 20 years).  So you are not very likely to network from there to other clubs.  

Happy to answer other questions or clarify - not sure if I addressed your core question.

Thanks for the info, all good advice.  I meant advice along the lines you gave for Lake Merced and Olympic.  Information on how close the membership is/reasons to join or be cautious (e.g. lots of dues increases, course too busy)

2 minutes ago, JohnnyBGoode92 said:

Thanks for the info, all good advice.  I meant advice along the lines you gave for Lake Merced and Olympic.  Information on how close the membership is/reasons to join or be cautious (e.g. lots of dues increases, course too busy)

I will let any Lake Merced members overrule me here.  

The frequent commentary that I have heard re: Lake Merced is that it is a very disparate membership base.  At most other clubs, there is a common theme amongst the members - logical as members tend to bring in their friends as members.  I am not referring to diversity - that part is awesome.  In Lake Merced's case, it is big separate pools of members that don't co-mingle with (and may not like) each other.  This type of thing tends to resolve itself over time, but something to be aware of.

Olympic Club's courses are WAY too busy.  Part of that is because the Lake is closing for a year so people are trying to jam a round in.  But I looked earlier today - I can't get on with a twosome for the rest of the week before 3pm.  BUT, the initiation cost compensates for that.  It is really cheap compared to the other local options.  So I use it for practice (good range and great short game area) and for the par 3 Cliffs course which is fairly wide open and is a gem.

31 minutes ago, scc13 said:

I will let any Lake Merced members overrule me here.  

The frequent commentary that I have heard re: Lake Merced is that it is a very disparate membership base.  At most other clubs, there is a common theme amongst the members - logical as members tend to bring in their friends as members.  I am not referring to diversity - that part is awesome.  In Lake Merced's case, it is big separate pools of members that don't co-mingle with (and may not like) each other.  This type of thing tends to resolve itself over time, but something to be aware of.

Olympic Club's courses are WAY too busy.  Part of that is because the Lake is closing for a year so people are trying to jam a round in.  But I looked earlier today - I can't get on with a twosome for the rest of the week before 3pm.  BUT, the initiation cost compensates for that.  It is really cheap compared to the other local options.  So I use it for practice (good range and great short game area) and for the par 3 Cliffs course which is fairly wide open and is a gem.

Thank you, very helpful.  Any intel on Meadow/Claremont/Peninsula?

1 hour ago, JohnnyBGoode92 said:

Thank you, very helpful.  Any intel on Meadow/Claremont/Peninsula?

Meadow - I am a member.  Great course, relaxed vibe.  Happy to address any specific questions by DM.  Decently long wait - about 3ish years to Social membership (which gets you access to the property, but pretty limited golfing privileges (both in terms of # of rounds and times you can play).  Then an additional 5+ years to Proprietary (I.e. a full member).  

Claremont is an old-fashioned place (shorts not allowed, no phones).  Great social environment and golf atmosphere.  A great choice if you live in Piedmont or other local spots.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• 3 months later...

Adult membership application requires 5 sponsors: 1 Proposer, 1 Seconder + 3 References.

In reality, if you find one solid member that will be your proposer, they will often be able to roundup the rest for you.  The application/essays are super basic.  Then it is a wait - not sure about the current timing, but guess it is around 18 months to 2 years.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2023 at 9:21 AM, scc13 said:

The numbers are a little confused as the Lake is under renovation.  Currently, Ocean is $135 F-Sun, $95 Otherwise.  Cliffs is $35.  All of these are member rates for downtown folks.  

True, but the Lake course opens for member play on Sept 8th, and anyone currently asking about membership in the club will have the course renovation far in the rear view mirror by the time they join as a downtown member.

Edited by carrera

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• 2 weeks later...

Edit to the above...my friends still at OC say that prices are going UP so fees for downtown members to play are likely going to be up compared to what I posted above.

Back in the old days (when I first joined OC in the mid-80s) the Lake Course green fee was $35 and the Ocean Course was $25 for downtown members.  And on Sunday afternoons, kids of golf members could play for $6 on the Ocean Course.

Times have changed.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

• 5 months later...

Olympic Club has a city membership and it depends on your age what the initiation is(5-10k) Dues are like 200-400 a month and there's a quarterly minimum for f&b. Golf still costs money to play though and it isn't cheap. Takes about a year or so to become a city member once you are on the waitlist.

To join as a golf member you need to become a city member first and then it's a 10 year wait and another, much higher, initiation fee.

11 hours ago, jzkhockey said:

Olympic Club has a city membership and it depends on your age what the initiation is(5-10k) Dues are like 200-400 a month and there's a quarterly minimum for f&b. Golf still costs money to play though and it isn't cheap. Takes about a year or so to become a city member once you are on the waitlist.

To join as a golf member you need to become a city member first and then it's a 10 year wait and another, much higher, initiation fee.

Thanks for this info.  Roughly how much does it cost for someone in their early or mid 30s?

On 1/26/2024 at 9:28 PM, KBDC2022 said:

Wondering if someone has an idea of initiation and monthly fees for Olympic versus Cal?  Moving to the area in the next 12 months and aim to join a club in the next 2-3 years. TIA.

I think the other comment that I'd make is that it isn't just a "call up and get your application".  Olympic, if you know some members is really easy to get in.  Cal Club (and now to a lesser extent Lake Merced) post renovation is a real process.