2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

the DDF Irish Open at Lahinch GC

tiderider

> @nichho said:

> > @"15th Club" said:

> > > @MattyO1984 said:

> > > Links golf on TV!! Best three weeks of golf coverage there is. Looking forward to it!

> >

> >

> > Yeah; what a special week of rare views of incomparable links courses; Lahinch (8 on the Doak Scale); Renaissance Club (designed by Doak) and Royal Portrush (9 on the Doak Scale). Links heaven, on TV.

> >

>

> I am partial to a bit of links myself and while I am looking forward to the other two I am particularly looking forward to seeing if the Renaissance Club is worth all the hype, although hype might be the wrong word as they seems to be quietly going along being very exclusive.

>

I got the chance to play it a couple of years ago and it is so so pure!! Not the most linksy feeling at points that is for sure but the ground is just right for it. Our forecaddie that day worked on the course when it was being built so it was a superb insight into the place.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @nichho said:

> > @"15th Club" said:

> > > @MattyO1984 said:

> > > Links golf on TV!! Best three weeks of golf coverage there is. Looking forward to it!

> >

> >

> > Yeah; what a special week of rare views of incomparable links courses; Lahinch (8 on the Doak Scale); Renaissance Club (designed by Doak) and Royal Portrush (9 on the Doak Scale). Links heaven, on TV.

> >

>

> I am partial to a bit of links myself and while I am looking forward to the other two I am particularly looking forward to seeing if the Renaissance Club is worth all the hype, although hype might be the wrong word as they seems to be quietly going along being very exclusive.

>

at £75k to join the Renaissance club better be good............................

> @imakaveli said:

> > @NoodleSalad said:

> > No Rory? lol

>

> He asked the Scottish Open to switch week with the Irish Open to allow him to play and in exchange he would have played some Scottish Opens in the next years, and they refused. Pitty.

Is this a joke? Rory asked the Scottish to move a week so that he could ditch it?

> @pmadden86 said:

> > @imakaveli said:

> > > @NoodleSalad said:

> > > No Rory? lol

> >

> > He asked the Scottish Open to switch week with the Irish Open to allow him to play and in exchange he would have played some Scottish Opens in the next years, and they refused. Pitty.

>

> Is this a joke? Rory asked the Scottish to move a week so that he could ditch it?

Yes, and in exchange for that he would have played some Scottish Open, it would have been a win win, what a pitty.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22612351/open-championship-rory-mcilroy-wants-irish-open-swap-places-scottish-open-2019

> @imakaveli said:

> > @pmadden86 said:

> > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > @NoodleSalad said:

> > > > No Rory? lol

> > >

> > > He asked the Scottish Open to switch week with the Irish Open to allow him to play and in exchange he would have played some Scottish Opens in the next years, and they refused. Pitty.

> >

> > Is this a joke? Rory asked the Scottish to move a week so that he could ditch it?

>

> Yes, and in exchange for that he would have played some Scottish Open, it would have been a win win, what a pitty.

>

> https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22612351/open-championship-rory-mcilroy-wants-irish-open-swap-places-scottish-open-2019

Not worth it for one player, I watched Rory at Royal Aberdeen so he certainly has played the Scottish before.

• Like 1
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @imakaveli said:

> > @pmadden86 said:

> > > @imakaveli said:

> > > > @NoodleSalad said:

> > > > No Rory? lol

> > >

> > > He asked the Scottish Open to switch week with the Irish Open to allow him to play and in exchange he would have played some Scottish Opens in the next years, and they refused. Pitty.

> >

> > Is this a joke? Rory asked the Scottish to move a week so that he could ditch it?

>

> Yes, and in exchange for that he would have played some Scottish Open, it would have been a win win, what a pitty.

>

> https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22612351/open-championship-rory-mcilroy-wants-irish-open-swap-places-scottish-open-2019

Unusual request to move an entire Tourny to suit one player. Standard RM behavior though.

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @BrandonDunes said:

> > Great links course! Blind tee shots for days

>

> Blind tee shots are among the very worst features in golf.

>

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @scott_Donald said:

> > > @BrandonDunes said:

> > > Great links course! Blind tee shots for days

> >

> > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > @BrandonDunes said:

> > > > Great links course! Blind tee shots for days

> > >

> > > Blind tee shots are among the very worst features in golf.

> > >

> >

> > I am torn here - Cruden Bay's two worse holes are 14th blind second and 15th blind tee shot. Royal Aberdeens 15th with a blind tee shot, great short hole!

>

> I don't doubt there will be exceptions but as a rule I think blind shots are awful especially tee shots.

I think you just have to be committed to the shot. They'll all have practice rounds to know their landing spots. if a shot makes you uncomfortable, it's challenging you in a new way. These guys are so good small challenges like blind tee shots are worth it. as for the blind approach shots, just look for the white rock in the mound for guidance :)

I just played Lahinch this spring and other than the par 3 the "blind" tee shots aren't that bad. Most of the fairways are framed by dunes so you know where to hit it.

The really cool blind shots are the approach to #4, par 5 and you hit your second over the hill, and #5 which is the famous par 3. Unfortunately when we played they were using the alternate green on #5 because of the Irish Open coming up.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

> @jvincent said:

> I just played Lahinch this spring and other than the par 3 the "blind" tee shots aren't that bad. Most of the fairways are framed by dunes so you know where to hit it.

>

> The really cool blind shots are the approach to #4, par 5 and you hit your second over the hill, and #5 which is the famous par 3. Unfortunately when we played they were using the alternate green on #5 because of the Irish Open coming up.

Where/what was the alternate green? Just over to the right/in front? That's a shame you didn't get to play it (although at least you saw it) as it is a hoot and actually pretty easy (from a par POV) being a big a bowl.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

> @duffer987 said:

> > @jvincent said:

> > I just played Lahinch this spring and other than the par 3 the "blind" tee shots aren't that bad. Most of the fairways are framed by dunes so you know where to hit it.

> >

> > The really cool blind shots are the approach to #4, par 5 and you hit your second over the hill, and #5 which is the famous par 3. Unfortunately when we played they were using the alternate green on #5 because of the Irish Open coming up.

>

> Where/what was the alternate green? Just over to the right/in front? That's a shame you didn't get to play it (although at least you saw it) as it is a hoot and actually pretty easy (from a par POV) being a big a bowl.

I studied a map of Lahinch. I think the alternate green is shorter, and left of the punchbowl green.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> > @duffer987 said:

> > > @jvincent said:

> > > I just played Lahinch this spring and other than the par 3 the "blind" tee shots aren't that bad. Most of the fairways are framed by dunes so you know where to hit it.

> > >

> > > The really cool blind shots are the approach to #4, par 5 and you hit your second over the hill, and #5 which is the famous par 3. Unfortunately when we played they were using the alternate green on #5 because of the Irish Open coming up.

> >

> > Where/what was the alternate green? Just over to the right/in front? That's a shame you didn't get to play it (although at least you saw it) as it is a hoot and actually pretty easy (from a par POV) being a big a bowl.

>

> I studied a map of Lahinch. I think the alternate green is shorter, and left of the punchbowl green.

Yep, short and left. We played it into a very stiff breeze. I tried to hit a knock down 7i (only 130 to the flag) and right off the club the caddie blurts out "Too high" and I come up 20 yards short.

> @davep043 said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > > @davep043 said:

>

> > > > I believe that there is a blind shot par 3 at Prestwick, the first course that Old Tom laid out. He must have found it amusing.

> > >

> > > There is, I got to play it last year, I think its the 5th hole there as well. But I don't think that hole was part of the original 12 holes

> > >

> >

> > Will let you know tomorrow what hole it is ...

> >

> If you're playing there tomorrow, you should take a peek at this:

> http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61289.0.html

> A little ways down is a map of the original 12 holes, overlaid on the current plan. I think about 8 of the 12 holes cross another hole. But that's way off of the topic here.

>

>

> @davep043 said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > > @davep043 said:

>

> > > > I believe that there is a blind shot par 3 at Prestwick, the first course that Old Tom laid out. He must have found it amusing.

> > >

> > > There is, I got to play it last year, I think its the 5th hole there as well. But I don't think that hole was part of the original 12 holes

> > >

> >

> > Will let you know tomorrow what hole it is ...

> >

> If you're playing there tomorrow, you should take a peek at this:

> http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61289.0.html

> A little ways down is a map of the original 12 holes, overlaid on the current plan. I think about 8 of the 12 holes cross another hole. But that's way off of the topic here.

>

>

I played it 25 years ago, but only remembered the 3rd, 5th and last 2 holes ... we played troop this morning before prestwick, and enjoyed both ... didn't think prestwick was too goofy/quirky, though two of our troon caddies can't stand it ... several of the holes area bit nondescript, however ...

> @MattyO1984 said:

> Links golf on TV!! Best three weeks of golf coverage there is. Looking forward to it!

Agree. Overall it is my favorite viewing. Proper golf being played.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Oosthuizen could be in for an interesting couple of days playing with two golfers that I think you could fairly categorise as "angrier than most".

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

So looking forward to this, worth getting up early to watch from Texas.

3 great weeks of golf on TV, makes me have no real interest on the PGA Tour this week.

• Like 2
  • Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

> @Mikey5e said:

> There was an aerial view of the golf course and my first thought was where are all the trees?

Too much wind for trees

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @OldTomMorris said:

> > @Mikey5e said:

> > There was an aerial view of the golf course and my first thought was where are all the trees?

>

> Too much wind for trees

I believe that trees won't grow on the sandy soil that characterizes links land.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Played Lahinch six summers ago. Unfortunately, the course was NOT playing firm and fast in the least. Fairways were long, in preparation for an upcoming tournament (they were going to gradually lower then and get the course in shape). LOVED everything else about it, though.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @gvogel said:

> > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > There was an aerial view of the golf course and my first thought was where are all the trees?

> >

> > Too much wind for trees

>

> I believe that trees won't grow on the sandy soil that characterizes links land.

As far as difficulty factors are concerned, wind can be as difficult as trees to play in. It looks like a beautiful course to play on a nice day, but really treacherous on weather type days.

> @Mikey5e said:

> > @gvogel said:

> > > @OldTomMorris said:

> > > > @Mikey5e said:

> > > > There was an aerial view of the golf course and my first thought was where are all the trees?

> > >

> > > Too much wind for trees

> >

> > I believe that trees won't grow on the sandy soil that characterizes links land.

>

> As far as difficulty factors are concerned, wind can be as difficult as trees to play in. It looks like a beautiful course to play on a nice day, but really treacherous on weather type days.

We played it in a pretty steady 3-4 club wind. There were some challenging holes to be sure.

> @idrive said:

> Reading all the comments it seems as though I'm the only one who would rather not play when the wind is blowing 30+ mph.

Nah, I am with you on that! Having played golf for 25 years in the wind, I'll take a day without wind any time.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @MattyO1984 said:

> > @idrive said:

> > Reading all the comments it seems as though I'm the only one who would rather not play when the wind is blowing 30+ mph.

>

> Nah, I am with you on that! Having played golf for 25 years in the wind, I'll take a day without wind any time.

Agreed, I didn't grow up on links but its still windy a lot in Scotland so calm days are enjoyable especially when you don't play as often as you'd like.

Happy to watch the pros battle the wind though.

• Like 1
[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]