Minimalists - show off your WITB

Go to a club fitter and tell them you only want a half set then they will fit you into the correct gapping and shaft

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

My first go with a minimalist setup. Figured this would be a good use for my old set of irons and other clubs.

Nike Covert 17* 

Srixon AD Hybrid 24*

Wishon forged 560 MC 6, 8, PW

Satori 56*

20210511_155930_copy_1390x1203.jpg

• Like 4

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2021 at 10:24 AM, OLD_MAN_ESCO said:

IMG_20210605_082133.jpg

Those irons are a thing of beauty! 

WITB (updated: 12/9/21)

Taylormade SIM Max 9.0 - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x

Titleist 917F3 15.0 - Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757x

Taylormade SIM 2 Max 3H - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 85x

Taylormade P770 4-PW - True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Callaway MD5 Jaws Raw 50, 54 - KBS $-Taper 120s

Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 - KBS Hi-Rev 115s

Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie 34"

• 1 month later...
On 7/3/2019 at 6:27 AM, Wriggles said:

> @MrBerto327 said:

> This is one of my favorite topics of threads. Sorry in advance for the lackluster pictures, but they will suffice. Here we go.

>

> My 7 club setup goes as follows: D, 5i, 7i, 9i, GW, SW, P

>

> Driver: Taylormade SLDR, a neighbor gave it to me. Definitely not my specs, but I hit it hard and seem to control it fine. It works for me.

> Irons: Srixon z765, using 5, 7, 9. Love these clubs, not getting rid of them anytime soon.

> Wedges: GW: Wilson harmonized 50*. Crappy club, but gets the job done for $19.99 lol. I'll probably invest in a nicer gap wedge sometime in the near future. SW: Titleist SM6 56*. my local shop gave me a good deal at $75 new.

> Putter: Retro Ping Kushin I took from my dad because I like the feel of it so much.

> Bag: Old Sun Mountain Sunday bag I found at my High School's lost and found. Works beautifully.

>

> Its pretty ragtag, but I've played my best golf just using this setup. I shot a 37 the other day with it, and I like the package so much its been my daily bag whenever I go out. I seem to not only enjoy the game more but go lower. Anyway, that's my minimalist bag.

>

> Whatever works!

I bought a Sun Mountain Sunday bag like yours in 2012, loved it. Became so tattered by 2018, I pitched it. Bought it new for $50, so it didn't owe me anything. During that time, I bought 2 Jones from the company website. One, paid full price, the other was a grab bag thing the company ran a couple years ago. Got a nice one for $60. Jones bags wear like iron.

Grab bag sale is worth the wait.

On 5/17/2021 at 10:00 AM, NiceSlice said:

35y m back at it after a short 20 year hiatus. This forum has actually helped me to reprogram my brain on what golf is. Starting back at it with a half set and really enjoying every aspect of being out on the course (other than being able to put the ball in the hole).

im an artist and avid soccer player and fan and have long enjoyed that type of sport/game that allows for creativity and freedom. Golf never seemed that way until I looked into minimalist golf. I enjoy the idea of NOT getting “analyzation paralyzation” every time I go to grab a club from my bag. I want the thought and creativity to come after - analyzing how to hit a certain  shot and during my swing. 
I’m only just getting back into it but with this mindset (and lighter bag), I feel I can stretch my enjoyment much further and not get burned out. The walks are also the highlight.

anyway, thanks to all here on this forum. Here is my stealthy little ditty-

-Taylor made quiver bag

-black Cleveland 265 driver

-Cleveland 4i hybrid

-Cleveland irons 6,8 with black prolific graffaloy shafts

-Cleveland special 45 pw

-Cleveland RTX-3 56

-Cleveland belly putter cut down to Around 33 in.

towel, 6 strata voodoo balls (got ~48new ones for 20$), Asher death grip glove, brush, ball marker, 3 tees

09236359-44F4-49BF-8789-843D900CE14B.jpeg

181F1925-9B01-4100-884C-644D82CA3852.jpeg

That’s a good looking bag

I've been experimenting with an 8 club set up lately.  Played 36 the other day and shot the same score on both rounds; 1 with 8 clubs, the other with my 'full' 12 clubs setup (shot 38 on all 4 9's).  I'm finding the 8 club setup to just be easier and more enjoyable.  Going to find a Sunday type bag (Jones, Moonlite, Titleist Premium Carry, ...?) and see how it compares to my Hoofer Lite.  Have tried a couple before, but with fuller sets and they felt too crowded.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

Played my first minimalist round this week and had a ton of fun and, of course, shot about the same as I always do at my muni. I am awaiting delivery of my new clubs so I had to pull out some oldies but goodies and it convinced me that this is a more fun way to play some tired old courses. Anyways, the bag!

image.png.dbad732c3a195f2ccc8259e90d453263.png

image.png.36a7f718202260eeee610ce2ba7239e0.png

Driver: Nike SQ 13* (from 2006)

Driving Iron: Cobra F9 Speedzone 4 iron with graphite shaft (from 2019)

Irons: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge 5i, 7i, 9i (from 1970s) - belonged to my Grandfather as well as the golf bag (MacGregor bag from 70s)

Wedges: Cleveland Reg 588 51* (2010) and Cleveland CG10 56* bent to 57* (2015)

Putter: Ping Anser (1982)

My favorite thing about this bag is that the clubs span a timeframe close to 50 years. Could easily drop a wedge and the 5i and play this as a 6 club set. The irons are especially fun because they are surprisingly playable for me! Granted, the lofts are weak so the 7i is really today's 8 iron, etc. I was stuck at an awkward yardage for this set (160 yds) and hit a 75% 5 iron to 4 feet. Very cool and a shot I would never try to hit under normal circumstances. 

• Like 2

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 17.75* - LIN-Q Blue

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 21.5* - PX U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Maltby MAX Milled 58*

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I've been experimenting with an 8 club set up lately and love it.  Going to stick with it full time for awhile.  Looking for a bag to go with this setup as well.  Just picked up a Jones to try again.  Had one for a full set and didn't like it, but never tried it with a minimal setup.  I'm not sure I like this any better than my Hoofer Lite though.  The Jones seems kind of clumsy and doesn't seem any lighter really.  Any other bags to try?  Or just stick with the Hoofer Lite, even though it isn't necessarily minimalist in design.

20210807_162425.jpg

Edited by brew4eagle
  • Like 4

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

On 8/5/2021 at 4:54 PM, brew4eagle said:

Any other bags to try? 

I have a couple of Callaway HyperLite bags (3.0/3.5) that I like a lot.  One is a 3-way and the other is a 4-way top.  Both are single strap which is a big plus for a minimalist bag IMO.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

After 3 rounds with my old school Macgregor bag, I think I am too spoiled by a stand. Having to lay the bag down constantly and/or find places to prop it up is a bit annoying. I know you can get trestle sticks but that seems to, again, point towards having a stand bag. To me, these jones bags and similar bags without stands are a bit of form over function. No disrespect to anyone who carries one, just for me they are a bit of a distraction. I might be a quiver guy? Is this sacrilege? 

image.png.16f1f5bbf2d31feba3cb44b5b471520e.png

Edited by blackbdmillsaps
  • Like 3

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 17.75* - LIN-Q Blue

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 21.5* - PX U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Maltby MAX Milled 58*

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

1 hour ago, blackbdmillsaps said:

After 3 rounds with my old school Macgregor bag, I think I am too spoiled by a stand. Having to lay the bag down constantly and/or find places to prop it up is a bit annoying. I know you can get trestle sticks but that seems to, again, point towards having a stand bag. To me, these jones bags and similar bags without stands are a bit of form over function. No disrespect to anyone who carries one, just for me they are a bit of a distraction. I might be a quiver guy? Is this sacrilege? 

I tend to agree.  I like the Jones Original for the old school feel, but it really is a pain vs a stand bag.  My Hoofer Lite is way more practical, even for a 1/2 set of clubs.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

• 1 month later...

I generally play 6 clubs w/8 hdcp. Try to play courses/tees < 6500 yards. 

Clubs: 

Command Q4 3W (15*) (Pinemeadow Golf) 

Wilson Tour Staff Blades 5I (28*), 7I (36*), 9I (44*), GW (52*) 

Wilson 8802 Putter w/ classic Lamkin grip

Yardages:

3W (tee) 235-260 (ground) 200-225

5I. 175-200

7I. 150-175

9I. 125-150

GW. < 125 (favorite club)

Classic Jones stand bag, 3 balls/tees (Pro V1), ball marker from childhood home course, Foot Joy glove, and retro head covers (Cru Golf & Sunfish Golf).

Pretty basic setup. Love it! 

Edited by WHGolf
  • Like 4

On 8/9/2021 at 8:09 AM, blackbdmillsaps said:

Jones bags are 100% form over function. I don’t think anyone ever bought one because they were concerned about function. 

WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1408766-my-bag-pic-heavy-jdm/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/[/url]

[b]Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.[/b]

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 4:53 PM, Ivyguy said:

It’ll be interesting to see what wins out

I'm sticking with the DBM Forged.  I get more spin and height and they feel smoother vs. the 690MB.  The DBM have 1050GH shafts while the 690MB have DG S300.  However, the DBM are 2* stronger throughout vs the 690MB.  It all adds up to where they each go about the same distance, but the DBMs come in noticeably higher and softer.  I also slightly lean towards the look of the DBM at address, something about the way the heel/hosel transition looks just suits me.  Even though the topline is a hair thicker on the DBM, they look thinner due to the black finish and the longer blade length.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

After 22+ years, and 2 kids, I'm now getting back into golf. My priorities have changed. So I am focusing on a minimalist approach to golf. I now travel more, commute on a Honda Silver Wing scooter, and only play for fun/exercise. So I've purchased a set of Divnick telescopic clubs (T & F Driver, Adjustable Whole-in-One, & Putter) to use in addition to my original 25+ year old set. Once we retire and travel the world, I will sell/donate my old set and use my Divnick set.

DivnickRange.png

20210806_142924.jpeg

20210823_184953.jpeg

Edited by Ultralight
fixed typos
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 7:13 AM, marmaduk said:

Go to a club fitter and tell them you only want a half set then they will fit you into the correct gapping and shaft

You would half to go to very good fitter to get them to do this ... they make less money on a half set

• Like 1

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2021 at 5:57 PM, Santiago Golf said:

You would half to go to very good fitter to get them to do this ... they make less money on a half set

I agree but when I was in the business I would have done it in a NY minute to satisfy a customer. With that being said that customer would give me repeat business 9 out of 10 times

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

On 10/12/2021 at 8:30 PM, BabyCarrot said:

Lurker here. This thread inspired me and I put this together as my first half set. A few extra wedges but I found I prefer the pw-sw gapping at the bottom of the bag. Still a work in progress.

20211012_171929.jpg.f0ca52d859663cc08b1b7a3a5ec85b4b.jpg

Yep and I see where someone has done some weight tuning on that 7 iron too!!!! and I spy the lead tape on the 52* wedge too

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

• 3 weeks later...

set-up: 

TaylorMade M2 (second gen) 10.5 Aldila NV green reg.

Some mid 2000’s cobra 5W bent to 16.5 deg. Aldila NV green reg.

Titleist 503 hybrid 22deg (preferred chipping club)

PXG 0211ST. Irons 30, 38, 48

cleveland CG14 52 deg or Scratch 58 deg.

Ping Kartazen “piper”

Just started the half set journey last season and I am hooked. I didn’t quite get along with the single strap life as I like the stand… which I discovered after getting a ping moon light. 

my question is with wedge gapping. PW is 48deg than I can either go with a 52 or 58 that I have laying around. Is 52 too strong to finish my bag with? Should I bend it to 54? Or bend a 58 to 56. I think I am hung up on the idea of a “100 yard club” which would be 55-56 deg for me.

hope that was somewhat coherent.