2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Played Klein Creek today because I think the layout is decent and I also had my lowest score ever there. Well, for those of you who like fast and firm, this place has it as probably most every course in Chicago lately. The greens were rolling real quick, but chipping was extremely treacherous. Some of the fastest chipping lanes I have ever seen. I know they are working on their irrigation because they have bought some supplies from me, but clearly some areas are not getting hit with water. The new sand and redone bunkers are much better and I don't dislike the idea of them turning a number of sand bunkers into grass bunkers, but they are going to lose them if they don't water them. There were some greens on the front that were absolute rocks. Smooth and green, but rocks nonetheless. Challenging fun today. Klein Creek isn't perfect, but I still had a good time. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

9 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

DP4, surprised that was your first trip out to Stonewall. 

While #17 is ho-hum, I actually think #9 is the par 3 that feels out of place. 

Hey Bear...we've been scheduled to play it a couple of times but have been rained out, COVID'd out, etc. Would agree that 9 is an unusual hole. Embarrassed to share that the person who won the skin in our 4some made double.

Yikes.

Early morning neighbor's birthday outing today at Royal Flagg Creek. It's dry. There's a lot of run and bounce.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Harborside Port yesterday morning.   Weather was perfect, the driver - not so much.   Course is in good condition and the greens were running about 10.   The “signature” anchor hole played 170 and thankfully the pin was on the right side.   After a spectacular snap hook into the left side of the “anchor”, pulled off a Philly Mick’s special flop shot to about 3’ and walked away with a par. Unfortunately, 3 doubles from the middle of the fairway and no birdies left me with an 82.  

• Like 1

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

What a gorgeous day. It's days like today that make me thankful I'm a golfer. I practically had The Preserve to myself today. The starter told me I was paired with a twosome, but they were no shows. There were two foursomes behind me, so I went out as a single wedged between four groups. I figured I'd play slow, but one can only play so slow. Luckily the first group waved me through on the third hole, and the group in front of them let me play through on the next hole. It was clear sailing after that. When I was on the 6th hole I could see that the 7th, 8th, and 9th holes were clear. There were a couple of twosomes on the 11th and 12th. No idea why it was so empty. In any case I never caught anyone, and it felt like playing my own private course. With my right foot still slowing me down I limped around in 2:50. 

Conditions are getting rather spotty at the course. They're still mixing up the teeboxes, as a few remain closed due to poor turf conditions. A number of areas in the fairways are looking pretty bad, but they're still playable for the most part. Bunkers looked great, but what little sand is in them is compacted as heck. I saw a maintenance worker out with the groomer, but the handful of bunkers I found were still packed. Luckily the greens were rolling fine at ~10. 'Few ball marks. Yeah.

Excellent day ballstriking with 11 fairways and 13 greens. Finally getting the hang of hitting a high fade with the irons. 'Much easier to hold the greens than the old low draw. I managed two birdies, along with two bogies and a double. I double crossed myself on the 7th, and wound up in the left junk. I had a tree in the way, and hit a dead straight ball to the far right side of the green, leaving a good 60 feet to the left pin. Three putts later and my under par front was gone. Highlight of the day was my drive on the par 5 15th. For the first time ever I ran out of fairway. 'Hit a screaming low draw around the bend and it ran a foot into the rough just short of the penalty area, leaving 160 to the front pin. 'Came up short on my second shot, but had an easy chip and putt for a birdie. I also smacked a great drive on the 18th, leaving a gap wedge in to the front left pin. I can't recall ever hitting less than an 8 iron for an approach there.

I'm heading out to DeKalb tomorrow to play River Heights for the first time, part of the Chicagoland circle tour. 'Not expecting a lot for an $18 round, but the photos don't look bad. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

52 minutes ago, stasek said:

Harborside Port yesterday morning.   Weather was perfect, the driver - not so much.   Course is in good condition and the greens were running about 10.   The “signature” anchor hole played 170 and thankfully the pin was on the right side.   After a spectacular snap hook into the left side of the “anchor”, pulled off a Philly Mick’s special flop shot to about 3’ and walked away with a par. Unfortunately, 3 doubles from the middle of the fairway and no birdies left me with an 82.  

The front pin location on the Anchor hole is no pushover. The green is maybe 15 yds wide there? With trouble left and right, it's a still a tough shot, although nothing like that crazy back left pin position. Last time I played it they let the rough grow crazy high near the green, so it was possible to lose a ball in the stuff.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

2 hours ago, Dashfast said:

@stasekI cannot stand that signature hole.

This was only the 3rd time I’ve played it, so I don’t have any strong feelings about it, but i can see how it can cause some strong emotions especially when the pin is in the back left corner.  

• Like 1

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Mt. Prospect yesterday. Such an interesting design/layout. And a great set of greens, unfortunately undone by poor conditions caused primarily by unrepaired and poorly repaired ball marks. I don't know what can be done about it either. I would love to see the greens in rock hard condition, to fend off ball marks, but the same people not repairing theirs would b**** about their crappy approaches from the rough not holding.

Back to the positives, I really like MP's set of par 3's. Great template inspired designs and variety. There aren't too many public courses with a better set.

• Like 2

First visit to River Heights in DeKalb this morning. Well, at least I beat the rain. The course sits on a nice piece of property with a small creek running through it, but that's about it for the accolades. The conditions were very poor. For the most part the only thing green in the fairways were weeds. Most of the turf was brown. Tee boxes were rock hard. Bunkers were dirt. The greens had too many dead spots to count. They did do a good job of placing the pins in the green portions, so one had a reasonable putt most of the time. Speed was fine at 9 to 10. Pace of play was fine. I teed off as a single and limped around in 2:50 . It was clear sailing until the 14th when I finally caught several twosomes, and followed them in. 

Decent day off the tee with 10 fairways. 12 greens, two birdies, and four bogies. Highlight of the day was reaching the short par 5 17th in two. I missed the 15 ft eagle putt by an inch, and tapped in for a disappointing birdie. 

Actually, the real highlight of the day is sitting at Lodi Tap House in Maple Park having a Smash'd Burger and Cheese Curds. It's the best burger in Chicagoland, and if you're ever out this way it's well worth a visit. 'Nice selection of local craft beer on tap. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Playing VL Saturday with our competition...looking forward to hearing about the conditions.

Conditions were... weird. The greens were in great shape and the fairways were all pretty decent for the most part (a few areas were dry/burnt out, which wasn't surprising). The weird thing was that nearly every single trap was either damp or soaked, when we haven't gotten rain in nearly two weeks. There were also a few areas off the fairway near the green that were very spongy as well. It seems that they're watering to try and keep up with the heat, but the water either isn't draining properly or they're just over watering. Greens rolled very nicely I didn't have any plugged balls in the fairway, but I was in 2-3 traps that were pretty brutal. #11 tee box (the par 3) was also spongy.

Weird thing we found out today about Village Links is that they now charge you an extra $10 to take a cart alone... so in total for 18 holes a cart could cost you $30. You would think that they would be encouraging people to ride alone, but here they are deterring you by charging more. My buddy grabbed a cart solo because he may have had to leave before finishing 18 and they didn't charge him in the pro shop, but the starter walked out of his hut and approached him on the first tee to come back any pay the extra $10... a bit absurd if you ask me.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

1 hour ago, cpeck12 said:

Weird thing we found out today about Village Links is that they now charge you an extra $10 to take a cart alone... so in total for 18 holes a cart could cost you $30. You would think that they would be encouraging people to ride alone, but here they are deterring you by charging more. My buddy grabbed a cart solo because he may have had to leave before finishing 18 and they didn't charge him in the pro shop, but the starter walked out of his hut and approached him on the first tee to come back any pay the extra $10... a bit absurd if you ask me.

Many courses are doing this. Not unique to Village Links. Courses had to rent extra carts when the single cart rider restriction was in place. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

16 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Many courses are doing this. Not unique to Village Links. Courses had to rent extra carts when the single cart rider restriction was in place. 

Interesting... I haven't seen it anywhere else. I just thought many courses where the fees include a cart (like Seven Bridges) were now charging for a cart. I didn't know many courses were charging extra for a single rider... but I guess it's all an extra cost at the end the day regardless.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

The Meadows of Blue Island on Friday. If you know this place there is really nothing to be said I mean its built on a landfill, same old condition as always. Shot -3 (68) with 5 birdies and 2 bogeys. 

Cog #2 on Saturday. Course was in usual solid condition but place was packed and almost a 5 hour round. Shot +1 (73) 17 pars and 1 bogey. Could not make a birdie putt to save my life. 

Calumet CC on Monday. I played my first round of this year here and the course was in great shape but when I was there yesterday it was like a complete 180. The place was hardly recognizable from earlier in the year. I know they are closing up and probably aren't putting the money into it anymore for upkeep but tee boxes had weeds everywhere and the greens were not in good shape and at least a few were completely trashed and were like putting on a plinko board. Sad to see this course in this condition and could be the last time I ever play there. Shot +2 (73) with 2 birdies and 4 bogeys. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

20 minutes ago, cpeck12 said:

Interesting... I haven't seen it anywhere else. I just thought many courses where the fees include a cart (like Seven Bridges) were now charging for a cart. I didn't know many courses were charging extra for a single rider... but I guess it's all an extra cost at the end the day regardless.

... About a month ago Naperbrook/Springbrook sent out an email that they will start charging extra for single cart riders. The very next day I received another email apologizing for the previous email and "due to customer concerns" would not be charging more for single riders. Health concerns were of the utmost importance to both courses (a billion complaints cough) and they wanted every player to have access to their own carts. 

• Confused 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

39 minutes ago, cpeck12 said:

I've seen notice of the single rider fee at a handful of courses and received emails about the policy change from a few more. I'm a walker, so I don't really pay that close attention to this issue.

From a customer point-of-view, if you want to ensure social distancing and not share a cart, walk the course. Problem solved.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

9 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

I've seen notice of the single rider fee at a handful of courses and received emails about the policy change from a few more. I'm a walker, so I don't really pay that close attention to this issue.

From a customer point-of-view, if you want to ensure social distancing and not share a cart, walk the course. Problem solved.

... Yup, If I can't walk the course I am not playing. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Actually, the real highlight of the day is sitting at Lodi Tap House in Maple Park having a Smash'd Burger and Cheese Curds. It's the best burger in Chicagoland, and if you're ever out this way it's well worth a visit. 'Nice selection of local craft beer on tap. 

I live 15 minutes away in Sycamore and have had that on my list of places to make it to. Heard great things about it (though have also heard the opposite from some people). I’ll have to try to make it down there sometime soon. Did they have much/any outdoor seating? 

16 minutes ago, Symphonize said:

I live 15 minutes away in Sycamore and have had that on my list of places to make it to. Heard great things about it (though have also heard the opposite from some people). I’ll have to try to make it down there sometime soon. Did they have much/any outdoor seating? 

Plenty. There were a handful of outdoor tables along the west wall just outside the main bar area. In addition, there is a vacant lot/street two doors to the west that they converted to a large beer garden. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

First visit to River Heights in DeKalb this morning. Well, at least I beat the rain. The course sits on a nice piece of property with a small creek running through it, but that's about it for the accolades. The conditions were very poor. For the most part the only thing green in the fairways were weeds. Most of the turf was brown. Tee boxes were rock hard. Bunkers were dirt. The greens had too many dead spots to count. They did do a good job of placing the pins in the green portions, so one had a reasonable putt most of the time. Speed was fine at 9 to 10. Pace of play was fine. I teed off as a single and limped around in 2:50 . It was clear sailing until the 14th when I finally caught several twosomes, and followed them in. 

Decent day off the tee with 10 fairways. 12 greens, two birdies, and four bogies. Highlight of the day was reaching the short par 5 17th in two. I missed the 15 ft eagle putt by an inch, and tapped in for a disappointing birdie. 

Having played River Heights during the NIU days many moons ago, it sounds like you caught it in peak conditions. They always catered to the poor college student so you sadly get what you pay for...kind of like when we drank Huskie Gin, Huskie Whiskey, etc.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Plenty. There were a handful of outdoor tables along the west wall just outside the main bar area. In addition, there is a vacant lot/street two doors to the west that they converted to a large beer garden. 

nice I’ll definitely make it over there soon then before the weather turns. Maybe after a round a golf for a post round dinner and some craft beers. 

2 hours ago, cpeck12 said:

Calumet CC was doing this as well. It was $15 per golfer if you share a cart or $20 for a single rider. 

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

Recent communication from the Western Golf Association regarding  the upcoming Korn-Ferry tournament .

They are still encouraging volunteers for the four day event. Masks are mandatory attire.

Covid testing only for certain committees (Transportation and Caddie services) and they are transporting the volunteers in from group parking at Oakbrook Shopping Center.

As a walking scorer, being outdoors with proper spacing from the players shouldn't be an issue.

How best to help others practice good standards while supporting the event ?

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

16 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Having played River Heights during the NIU days many moons ago, it sounds like you caught it in peak conditions. They always catered to the poor college student so you sadly get what you pay for...kind of like when we drank Huskie Gin, Huskie Whiskey, etc.

Lol. 'Hate to see it when it was in rough shape.

I forgot to mention that the course is another of the few in the area with back to back par 3's (10/11) and par 5's (16/17).

Hey all, looking to avoid searching the marketplace or at least be directed if anyone can help. Ideally just deal with someone here. 

Looking for the following:

Driver, 3w, 5w or hybrid (not stiff)

4i-pw

Putter

Bag

Looking for graphite shafts.

Centrally located, can get to either state line to pickup.

No specific price range, want to get this done on Saturday though. 

If you have something available that meets any or all of the above criteria shoot me a message, thanks!

@Shriner add anything you’d like that could help.