Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

Played Bowes Creek today and Tuesday this week. A bit of a trek from the city, but loved the course. I’d never played it before and had only heard good things. Conditions were not perfect (divots and ball marks on greens), but very enjoyable and I loved the setup. Today’s round dragged a bit due to a group of dudes who insisted on playing from the tips (with no business doing so) in front of us. Oh well. Went 83/80. Had a birdie putt on 18 today that just missed the hole on the low side by an inch.

A8C418FD-9F95-4EE5-A01B-D00D7755D1EA.jpeg

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a great round today and broke 90 for the first time, with an 89. That one and a half footer on 18 was intense. No 7’s or 8’s on the scorecard, just steady golf 

Made the drive up to Arcadia Bluffs from Benton Harbor. Once I got my clubs out of my car and saw the clubhouse, it was like the first time I went to Disney World as a kid and you are in awe of the pl

Last Wednesday a 20 year golf friend who I've play all over the country with, our own VNutz and I played Rich Harvest farms with the golf coach of my beloved NIU Huskies. Rich Harvest Farms is more li

Posted Images

Got a chance to play the jewel of Lockport - no, not Big Run - the one and only Lockport Golf Club.  For those not familiar with the course, it’s a 9 hole private course, measuring whopping 2700+ yards from the “tips”.  Oh, boy.... where do I start???  The greens were running anywhere between 5 and 8 on the stimp,   The fairways were actually decent, but rough was probably faster then the greens.  The tee boxes?   Well - after a while I stopped using my “good” plastic tees, since on few occasions I was unable to pull them out, especially when using an iron off the tee.   We played the 9 twice from different set of tees - some holes are setup as par 4/5, between 350 and ~500.   I thought about joining it (equity memberships can be had for ~4-5k, with yearly fees running about $400 for a single, but in the end, I think I’ll pass.   Not a terrible place to go for a quick 9, but I think I’d rather do the RF $59 monthly Arcis Prime membership.  

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges.

14 hours ago, Dashfast said:

Played Bowes Creek today and Tuesday this week. A bit of a trek from the city, but loved the course. I’d never played it before and had only heard good things. Conditions were not perfect (divots and ball marks on greens), but very enjoyable and I loved the setup. Today’s round dragged a bit due to a group of dudes who insisted on playing from the tips (with no business doing so) in front of us. Oh well. Went 83/80. Had a birdie putt on 18 today that just missed the hole on the low side by an inch.

A8C418FD-9F95-4EE5-A01B-D00D7755D1EA.jpeg

18 at Bowes is one of the tougher finishing holes, especially if you're playing into the wind. Not a big hitter here but playing 433 into the wind is more like 450 - 460.  

The last round of our comp this year is at Bowes which is a befitting end to the season.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, oldpalchamp said:

Made the trip to the QC yesterday and played TPC Deere Run.  We usually try to make it out there at least once a year, but it had been a few years since we last played it.  It is an absolutely beautiful course situated on a terrific piece of land bordered by the Rock River.  The course was in very good condition with the exception of some areas in the rough that were burned out.  The greens rolled well, but were a bit slower than the practice putting green by the first tee.  Oh, and it was very windy!

Full disclosure, I absolutely love the course.  There are no holes that are alike, and the routing is superb.  The short 16, with the river running alongside it is stunning.  It is definitely not an easy course, yet the winning score of the John Deere Classic is regularly -24 or lower!  Pace of play was surprisingly acceptable.  We played as a 3-some behind a 4-some and finished in about 4 hours.

If you haven't made the trip, I highly recommend it.  It took us about 2 hours and 15 minutes from Naperville.  

I think TPC DR is one of the most underrated courses I have played. In my opinion it is better than Cog 4. I agree with you, I love it out there. I also live in Naperville area, jumping on 88 and heading out there couldn't be easier. I went out there right when courses reopened this spring for Covid. Walked for like $30 bucks. I try to go once or twice a year. Also a beautiful fall golf course. 

• Like 2

In other news, this is the longest break from golf I have taken in probably 4 years (*non winter or covid forced). Going on 12 days without teeing it up. I think the busyness has just turned me away. I don't enjoy 4.5 hour rounds or waiting to hit a shot, courses are just packed. Pretty sure this is my last year in the area, even though I love it out here. But if I stay I am going to just suck it up and join Black Sheep Golf Club next year.  I played around 110 rounds last year and I am only at 40 this year, probably end around 50-55. The walking only, 2 somes, 15 min intervals really spoiled me. I miss those couple of weeks ?. Obviously happy for the courses though...I guess. 

Playing Harrison Hills tomorrow, a couple hours south of here in Indiana. Just got the new black Titleist T100-s irons and am itching to hit em. Then another round in Indy Sunday. 

Edited by mci711
  • Like 1

Weekday play will slow down but we've had a difficult time for about a month booking 3 foursomes back to back for Saturdays.  Had to get a bit creative along the way.

Sounds like we should get the Naperville guys together.

And Deere Run is just a wonderful facility. We haven't made it out there yet this year but there's still time...are you listening VNutz???

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oldpalchamp said:

Made the trip to the QC yesterday and played TPC Deere Run.  We usually try to make it out there at least once a year, but it had been a few years since we last played it.  It is an absolutely beautiful course situated on a terrific piece of land bordered by the Rock River.  The course was in very good condition with the exception of some areas in the rough that were burned out.  The greens rolled well, but were a bit slower than the practice putting green by the first tee.  Oh, and it was very windy!

Full disclosure, I absolutely love the course.  There are no holes that are alike, and the routing is superb.  The short 16, with the river running alongside it is stunning.  It is definitely not an easy course, yet the winning score of the John Deere Classic is regularly -24 or lower!  Pace of play was surprisingly acceptable.  We played as a 3-some behind a 4-some and finished in about 4 hours.

If you haven't made the trip, I highly recommend it.  It took us about 2 hours and 15 minutes from Naperville.  

Played TPC Deere Run last summer about a week before the John Deere Classic and that place was awesome especially with the seating and stands up everywhere especially around 18. Course was one of the hardest Ive ever played at that time. If you missed the fairway you needed a search party to find it in the rough. Amazing those guys shoot so low there every year. 

• Like 2

Titleist TS3 8.5 - Diamana W Series 

Titleist TS3 15 - Diamana W Series

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Srixon Z585 4-A - KBS C Taper Lite X

Mizuno S18 54

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58

Taylormade Spider X Copper

TItleist ProV1X Left Dash

18 minutes ago, ME27 said:

Played TPC Deere Run last summer about a week before the John Deere Classic and that place was awesome especially with the seating and stands up everywhere especially around 18. Course was one of the hardest Ive ever played at that time. If you missed the fairway you needed a search party to find it in the rough. Amazing those guys shoot so low there every year. 

I always think the same thing. Every green has run off too. Whenever I play there it is a real eye opener how good the pros are. I played there a week before the tournament a few years ago with the stands up. Not quite TPC Scottsdale (though DR is a better course), but still really cool. 

• Like 3

Oh, the joys of holiday weekend golf. A rather slow round at Water's Edge this morning. If a course has a packed tee sheet, don't you think there should be a ranger out there? Standing on the 9th tee at the 2:15 mark, the group three in front of us is hidden from view up on the 10th tee. They have the 10th open in front of them, and I can't see anyone on the par 5 11th. How do you get two full holes behind halfway through the round? We waited on every shot from the opening teeshot, and finished in 4:45. I guess it could have been worse. 

Conditions were generally poor tee to green. Teeboxes were very wet, and muddy in spots. At least one could get a tee in the ground easily. Fairways looked like dog vomit. Yes, there were wet patches of green, but there were large areas of dead grass roped off. Mud balls all day. Very little rollout. A few bunkers were decent, but many were simply hard dirt. The only positive was that the greens looked decent, and were rolling 10 to possibly 11, even though they were quite soft. I stopped counting the number of ball marks I had fixed halfway through the round. 

A real hit or miss day. Just can't get into a rhythm with that kind of pace. Hit some great drives, but a few clipped some branches that need trimming, e.g. #8. My putter was red hot today. I made 4 birdies, but had 6 bogies. Scrambling was off today. Highlight of the day was probably the par 5 4th. Nice drive downwind to the right side of the fairway left me 230 to the center right pin. Normally I'd lay up, but decided to go for the green. Tried cutting my 7 wood, but overcut it, and shortsided myself pin high right with the bunker between me and the pin. Luckily I had a decent lie and hit a nice high flop that carried 6 feet past the pin. I thought my putt was going to come up short, but it dropped on the last revolution. 

Probably going to sit out Monday. I was looking for an early tee time yesterday, but it's slim pickings. The forecast for next week looks pretty crummy, so I may wind up sitting out a couple of days. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G400 7wd 20.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff 43"
Ping G400 9wd 23.5 - Alta CB 65 Stiff
Ping G400 26 and 30 hybrids - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 7-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Bolingbrook yesterday with some great guys, one of whom (a 9 index) came down from Lake County and said after looking over the scorecard that he was gonna "tear the course up". I told him to just wait for the wind to pick up. We teed off at 10:20 with about a 5 mph wind from the West...by the time we were coming home, the winds were steady at 15 mph and gusting to 20-ish. After playing all day in significant crosswinds, my northerner buddy had seen just how much he underestimated how that course uses the prevailing winds to defend itself. Now he wants to come back and play when the wind is really howling!

The tee sheet was fairly packed, and the group distribution on the course showed it. We were sandwiched between 2 twosomes, and no one on the course appeared to be in any particular hurry. It took us a full 4:40 to finish, but we managed to have fun hanging out together. 

The course itself is in great shape, though it played much softer and slower than I would have guessed, especially considering how everything's been baking out these days. The starter said they've been putting a lot of water on the course, and it showed. Fairways were soft and didn't provide much runout (for my ball flight), and the greens - while smooth and true - were pretty plush and average in speed. I know they have to be careful with the heat and wind to not let the course get out of hand, but I'd love to see them let it dry out a bit so it plays more like a links course.

Since some guys have been talking about single/double cart fees: Bolingbrook is charging $12.50 pp for a shared cart, $25 for a single rider.

My annual excursion to Thunderhawk is on Monday!

On 9/2/2020 at 9:33 AM, Quem24 said:

Hey all, looking to avoid searching the marketplace or at least be directed if anyone can help. Ideally just deal with someone here. 

Looking for the following:

Driver, 3w, 5w or hybrid (not stiff)

4i-pw

Putter

Bag

Looking for graphite shafts.

Centrally located, can get to either state line to pickup.

No specific price range, want to get this done on Saturday though. 

If you have something available that meets any or all of the above criteria shoot me a message, thanks!

@Shriner add anything you’d like that could help. 

On 9/2/2020 at 10:58 AM, geochitown said:

sent you a message

Just want to say that @geochitown was exceptional start to finish with this transaction.  He got into intricate details, took a good chunk of a day going back and forth asking me a ton of questions to get me the best possible set.  Picked up yesterday, great guy.  Thanks again!

On 9/4/2020 at 2:40 PM, Argonne69 said:

Oh, the joys of holiday weekend golf. A rather slow round at Water's Edge this morning. If a course has a packed tee sheet, don't you think there should be a ranger out there? Standing on the 9th tee at the 2:15 mark, the group three in front of us is hidden from view up on the 10th tee. They have the 10th open in front of them, and I can't see anyone on the par 5 11th. How do you get two full holes behind halfway through the round? We waited on every shot from the opening teeshot, and finished in 4:45. I guess it could have been worse. 

Conditions were generally poor tee to green. Teeboxes were very wet, and muddy in spots. At least one could get a tee in the ground easily. Fairways looked like dog vomit. Yes, there were wet patches of green, but there were large areas of dead grass roped off. Mud balls all day. Very little rollout. A few bunkers were decent, but many were simply hard dirt. The only positive was that the greens looked decent, and were rolling 10 to possibly 11, even though they were quite soft. I stopped counting the number of ball marks I had fixed halfway through the round. 

A real hit or miss day. Just can't get into a rhythm with that kind of pace. Hit some great drives, but a few clipped some branches that need trimming, e.g. #8. My putter was red hot today. I made 4 birdies, but had 6 bogies. Scrambling was off today. Highlight of the day was probably the par 5 4th. Nice drive downwind to the right side of the fairway left me 230 to the center right pin. Normally I'd lay up, but decided to go for the green. Tried cutting my 7 wood, but overcut it, and shortsided myself pin high right with the bunker between me and the pin. Luckily I had a decent lie and hit a nice high flop that carried 6 feet past the pin. I thought my putt was going to come up short, but it dropped on the last revolution. 

Probably going to sit out Monday. I was looking for an early tee time yesterday, but it's slim pickings. The forecast for next week looks pretty crummy, so I may wind up sitting out a couple of days. 

Interesting - @Shriner and I had the exact opposite experience yesterday was out in Byron in Prarie View.  The course was baked out beyond imagination.  My good drives which normally go 200-210 tops were going 230-240.  Shriner who's good ones are 270-280 was hitting at, or over, 300 with regularity (including a 327 I believe).  Grass around the greens was scarce, or non existent, with a few exceptions.  Shriner can correct me but the greens had to be a 12+.  Couldn't get plastic tee boxes into the ground without putting every ounce of strength into it.  The rollout was insane.  We had to leave irons a club short to allow for run up into the greens like it was the British open.

Really, really, really awesome experience though.  I thought the layout was fair, the greens ran true, if you can separate the dryness, the conditions were really good.  I played Balmoral Woods last week, and this is a much stronger version of it with some Oak Grove thrown in - lots of trees, but also wavy fescue.  The clubhouse / bar / restaurant / range is more like its own city than a clubhouse.  The top golf style range was packed with families and/or young people having fun.  Race track in the background was loud but added to the uniqueness.

Had a father / son (4-5 yr old) / grandfather combo we "caught" on hole 3 and after waiting 10 or so minutes on the tee box, we got to 4.  They were just reaching the fairway as we watched the kid carry his bag, roll a shot 10 yds, pick up his bag, walk to the next shot, while being given advice and encouragement by grandpa.  Haven't seen anything like that before.  It was as if they were playing their own private course.  Even though it was only 1.5 holes of waiting that slowed us down about 30 minutes, it was brutal to the point I was about to yell up the fairway "CAN WE PLAY THROUGH PLEASE??"  Just before I reached my breaking point they waved us, thank the lord that was over, smooth sailing after that, don't think we saw another group.  Walked it as a threesome in just about 4 hours even with the delay.  Not a walking course for me in the future (8.9 miles!), but good exercise for sure.

Enjoyable day for sure, will return to that course once a year or so.  Worth the drive.

Edited by Quem24
  • Like 1

I loved the experience of PrairieView and it was worth the 1.5 hour drive.  I'm going to give the course the benefit of the doubt and assume they just lost control of the course with all the heat and drought conditions.  It was the most baked out course I have ever seen, to the point where chipping around greens was basically impossible.  You could not get a club under the ball, just hard pan.  Green speeds were fast and excellent.  Couple of awkward placed trees on the back nine but loved the layout and would love to play again with normal conditions.  Just an awesome course out in the middle of nowhere...

• Like 1

... Played Naperbrook yesterday and got paired up with an Army recruiter that joined right out of high school. I have never seen anyone drive the ball farther. As an example on #9 a 372 yd par 4 from the tips, he drove it in the green side bunker. Wind right to left so not hurting but not helping. On the 563 yd par 5 #14 he hit driver - 3 iron just over the green. Crazy thing was he had a very normal looking swing taking it to parallel but then just flash arm/hand speed thru the impact zone. The ball made a completely different sound than I have ever heard. He is gonna put in his 20 years then go to PGA Business school and hopefully find a head pro job in SC. Just crazy high trajectory and it carried forever. I hit my best drive of the day on #9 with 80yds in from the 352 yd blue tees and he outdrove me by 100 yds LOL. 

• Like 3

TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Callaway Super Hybrid 17*  ... Diamana Limited 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
4-Wedge Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95R
SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Newport 2.5 ... 33.5"
18 minutes ago, jimwgt26 said:

Anyone been to Big Run recently? Haven’t played there this year and heard it’s in rough shape. 

Yup, a buddy 2 weeks back went and said it was definitely in bad shape.

TEE EXS 220 10.5* - Testing continues - Accra TZ6 55M4 at 44.5”
TEE XCG7B 2h 17* -Aldila Tour Blue 85 
TEE XCG7B 4h 22* Aldila Rogue Blk85
TEE XCG7B 5h 25*- Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length Multiple sets with different shafts 
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

4 hours ago, Quem24 said:

Just want to say that @geochitown was exceptional start to finish with this transaction.  He got into intricate details, took a good chunk of a day going back and forth asking me a ton of questions to get me the best possible set.  Picked up yesterday, great guy.  Thanks again!

Thanks, happy to help.  Hope they serve you well. 

That was a big driving day for you (sorry for the pun), and adding the apparently challenging walk at Prairie View on top of that.

• Like 1

TEE EXS 220 10.5* - Testing continues - Accra TZ6 55M4 at 44.5”
TEE XCG7B 2h 17* -Aldila Tour Blue 85 
TEE XCG7B 4h 22* Aldila Rogue Blk85
TEE XCG7B 5h 25*- Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length Multiple sets with different shafts 
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Lol. With rain a good possibility Tuesday through Friday, I decided I'd give it a go tomorrow. At this point it's slim pickings. I snagged a hot deal at River Oaks. Yeah, I know. I've always had a soft spot for the course, as it was my home course from grade school through my early college years. Not expecting a whole lot. The course is short, but it has some really tight holes, and water on 10. 

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

3 hours ago, mci711 said:

Big Run could be in Augusta condition and I wouldn't play it. It is clown golf. 

That's harsh. BR has quite a few excellent holes. Nothing really wrong with 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 14, 15, 16, and 17. Yeah, a few are meh, but for the most part it's a solid layout. Conditions are generally poor, but they're only charging $40 to walk. 

Edited by Argonne69

3 hours ago, mci711 said:

Big Run could be in Augusta condition and I wouldn't play it. It is clown golf. 

... I am with A69, that is a bit harsh with Augusta conditions. As is? I would not play it for free even with drinks and lunch included. ?

• Haha 1

TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Callaway Super Hybrid 17*  ... Diamana Limited 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
4-Wedge Titleist T100-S ... Steelfiber 95R
SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Steelfiber 95R
Newport 2.5 ... 33.5"

there are a few courses hosting Korn Ferry qualifiers tomorrow.

we're hitting Sunset Valley in the morning before theirs begins at nine. 

they have the tee boxes all the way back and the pins will be in all the best (difficult) spots.

they were going to let the rough grow a bit more and double roll the greens.

ought to be fun.

Edited by @_the_crook
good spelling is always important
  • Like 2

[size=2]currently playing: [/size]
[size=2][size=3]FT-5 - D[/size][/size]
[size=2][size=3]Titleist 917F3[/size][/size]
[size=2][size=3]Hogan BH-5, 3-PW[/size][/size]
[size=2][size=3]Wilson DynaPowered SW[/size][/size]
[size=2][size=3]Ping Anser [/size][/size]
[size=2][size=3][size=2]it works[/size][/size][/size]

[size=1]when I need a change, there are 12 bags full to choose from . [/size]

9 minutes ago, ScottF said:

It’s been a while since I played there but what do you mean by “clown golf”?

I don't think there's much love for the uphill 18th. The 1st isn't a particularly friendly opening hole. Much too narrow given the numerous trees on both sides. The 10th isn't a whole lot better. 

A couple of holes are a bit tight, but not comically so. I think they have a very good set of par 3s. Nothing gimmicky, and certainly no easy par. 

Village Links yesterday. Lots of interesting experiences on and off the course. Had called on Thursday and let them know our group of 8 would only be 7.  Received the confirmation email. At check in,  was told we didn't have a tee time as everything was cancelled. After some jostling and discussion, the person behind the counter finally "found" us.  

Don't remember a range where hitting out of the rough is the norm.

Now it starts to get REALLY interesting.  As mentioned, we were 7, a 3 some and 4 some. Our first group which was the 3 had someone added as a 4th, perfect...let the course maximize the revenue. After the first 4 teed off, the starter comes out and starts questioning us.  Um...you put someone in the group of 3, we didn't and she thought we worked some magic but didn't like the fact that the single SHE sent out, was in the group.  OK....but then on the second hole, we see 2 carts come out and they pulled the single off the course after a ton of discussion and replace him with another single.  

As far as the course, let's just say that the person who decided on the cut of the greens and pin positions might be going through IBS. Seriously, to put a pin on a 450 yard par 4 on the cut of a ridge, tucked behind a bunker is savage. I'd put cash on the fact that no one made par on that hole yesterday.

It's sad as I really like the course...and the issues are so easy to fix.

1 minute ago, DavePelz4 said:

Village Links yesterday. Lots of interesting experiences on and off the course. Had called on Thursday and let them know our group of 8 would only be 7.  Received the confirmation email. At check in,  was told we didn't have a tee time as everything was cancelled. After some jostling and discussion, the person behind the counter finally "found" us.  

Don't remember a range where hitting out of the rough is the norm.

Now it starts to get REALLY interesting.  As mentioned, we were 7, a 3 some and 4 some. Our first group which was the 3 had someone added as a 4th, perfect...let the course maximize the revenue. After the first 4 teed off, the starter comes out and starts questioning us.  Um...you put someone in the group of 3, we didn't and she thought we worked some magic but didn't like the fact that the single SHE sent out, was in the group.  OK....but then on the second hole, we see 2 carts come out and they pulled the single off the course after a ton of discussion and replace him with another single.  

As far as the course, let's just say that the person who decided on the cut of the greens and pin positions might be going through IBS. Seriously, to put a pin on a 450 yard par 4 on the cut of a ridge, tucked behind a bunker is savage. I'd put cash on the fact that no one made par on that hole yesterday.

It's sad as I really like the course...and the issues are so easy to fix.

Wow. Now we're talking 3 ring circus. 

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Lol. With rain a good possibility Tuesday through Friday, I decided I'd give it a go tomorrow. At this point it's slim pickings. I snagged a hot deal at River Oaks. Yeah, I know. I've always had a soft spot for the course, as it was my home course from grade school through my early college years. Not expecting a whole lot. The course is short, but it has some really tight holes, and water on 10. 

Used to like the holes on the north side of 159th street.