2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

A cool and damp day at everybody's favorite area course, Oak Brook. Lol. At least the rain stayed away. The course was wet, but playable. Bunkers were quite wet, no surprise. The greens looked like they were aerated a few weeks ago. You could see the hole patterns, but I don't think they were messing with the roll. Speed was 9 at best. Pace was very good. I went out as a single, played through two groups on the 4th and 5th holes, and made the turn in 1:30. Had clear sailing until the 14th when I ran into a cluster of twosomes and threesomes that were moving fairly quickly. With nowhere to go I followed them in and finished the round in 3:15. Not too shabby.

The driver was a bit off today, but the misses weren't too bad. Seven fairways and 13 greens. Two birdies and four bogies. I guess I figured out how to play the notorious 9th. As was mentioned previously, I too decided to move up to the green tees. It was still a 220 yd carry to the 2nd fairway with a slightly hurting wind, but otherwise I was looking at 240 to carry the junk. Pfffttt. 

Highlight of the day was getting startled by a fox on the first hole. I seem to be attracting wildlife. I was addressing my ball in the fairway for my second shot when I caught it out of the corner of my eye. It paused for a moment, and then started jogging towards the pine trees along York Rd. I couldn't get my phone out fast enough to take a pic before he/she disappeared.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

18 hours ago, johngalt312 said:

Hinsdale Golf Club Wednesday, Glen Oak CC Friday, and Cantigny on Sunday.

Broke some ribs a couple of months back so Wednesday will only be my second round of the season.

Nice trifecta of courses. Enjoy!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

A chilly, but very enjoyable morning. My first, and very likely last, visit to Manteno GC. Let me start by saying the round cost me $16. I think I got my money's worth. The course is surrounded on three sides by corn fields. Technically it's a parkland layout, but the trees are fairly sparse. It's pancake flat. Most greens are at fairway level, but a handful are raised a good two to three feet. Lol. The back nine has a few tough holes, but overall it's a benign course. The par 3s were tough, with three over 180 yds. I wouldn't call it a goat ranch, but sheep might enjoy it. 

Conditions were what you'd expect for the price. The fairways were green, but they were 75% crabgrass and other strains one wouldn't see on a regular course. The rough was spotty. Bunkers were actually quite playable, what few there were. The greens were very nice, and quite small. No idea what kind of grass they used, but it looked like something you'd see on a seaside links course. They were rolling 8 at best. Pace was wonderful. I went out as a single, and while I saw a few singles and twosomes ahead of me, I never caught them. Finished in 2:20. 

Decent day ballstriking. Once again the driver was off (7), but the misses were manageable. Twelve greens, two birdies, and five bogies. There weren't many trees, but somehow I managed to be behind a few of them. 

Overall forgettable course, and not worth the drive. Still happy to be out on a nice fall day knocking out another area course. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

36 holes yesterday at Blackstone and Highlands of Elgin and it was windy, brisk, and wet. Started off at Blackstone and I have to say I dont know if ive seen a course in as good of condition as Blackstone was all year. The greens were superb and rolling quick and true. This time of year you can see a lot of courses greens in rough shape due to the beating they take over the year along with unrepaired ball marks but the greens here were just in fantastic shape. I really enjoyed this course and was well worth the hour plus drive. Conditions were tough and carded an 80 with one birdie and too many bogeys. 

HOE for the afternoon round and the weather started off wet and windy but after a few holes the rain went away but the wind picked up so condtions were tough again. There are some really scenic holes on this course and a variety of different holes which I really enjoyed. Course was in decent shape but was pretty wet and the greens were not in that great of condition with a lot of ball marks (it didnt help playing after blackstone with immaculate greens). Overall a very enjoyable course to play. 78 with a birdie and seven bogeys. 

Happy to have played both these courses for the first time and will definitely be back to both. 

This upcoming weekend Im visiting some friends in Michigan and we have Harbor Shores, Hawkshead, Angels Crossing, and Whittaker Woods lined up for the weekend. Been awhile since Ive played 72 in two days so we will see how it goes. Have played Harbor Shores and Hawkshead but not the other two. Hopefully the weather cooperates. 

Edited by ME27
  • Like 1

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

Still think Blackstone has some of the finest greens in the area. This time of the year they're usually quick as heck. As they should be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ME27 said:

36 holes yesterday at Blackstone and Highlands of Elgin and it was windy, brisk, and wet. Started off at Blackstone and I have to say I dont know if ive seen a course in as good of condition as Blackstone was all year. The greens were superb and rolling quick and true. This time of year you can see a lot of courses greens in rough shape due to the beating they take over the year along with unrepaired ball marks but the greens here were just in fantastic shape. I really enjoyed this course and was well worth the hour plus drive. Conditions were tough and carded an 80 with one birdie and too many bogeys. 

HOE for the afternoon round and the weather started off wet and windy but after a few holes the rain went away but the wind picked up so condtions were tough again. There are some really scenic holes on this course and a variety of different holes which I really enjoyed. Course was in decent shape but was pretty wet and the greens were not in that great of condition with a lot of ball marks (it didnt help playing after blackstone with immaculate greens). Overall a very enjoyable course to play. 78 with a birdie and seven bogeys. 

Happy to have played both these courses for the first time and will definitely be back to both. 

This upcoming weekend Im visiting some friends in Michigan and we have Harbor Shores, Hawkshead, Angels Crossing, and Whittaker Woods lined up for the weekend. Been awhile since Ive played 72 in two days so we will see how it goes. Have played Harbor Shores and Hawkshead but not the other two. Hopefully the weather cooperates. 

Angels is a huge piece of property with some of the biggest greens you’ll ever play. They’re also way past tricked out and start to get into carnival territory. The actual layout is phenomenal but when it was designed Bruce Matthews III operated under the assumption that the maintenance budget would be much bigger than it actually ended up being. It’ll be interesting to read what kind of shape the course is in. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

For f-ck sake, why can't courses set up their (Tee It Up) booking engines to allow one to book a walking rate? It's entirely possible, as the vast majority of courses do it. Again, why is an interaction with Goober in the pro shop necessary in 2020? WTF. 

5 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

For f-ck sake, why can't courses set up their (Tee It Up) booking engines to allow one to book a walking rate? It's entirely possible, as the vast majority of courses do it. Again, why is an interaction with Goober in the pro shop necessary in 2020? WTF. 

It always amazes me when places don't leverage the full potential of technology, especially when it makes their lives easier.  Less phone calls makes it easier on the pro shop guys, they can fully focus on the customers who are physically there.  These days, if I can't do it online, you will almost guarantee lose my business. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Arg,

It's choice made when setting up the course profiles in the booking engine.

Both Shepherd's and Sportsman's - both are TeeitUp clients, have had Riding and Walking options displayed for years.

Why not ask the course managers at these venues this exact question ?

They just to go into the setup page to tick off the boxes in TIU and enter the pricing for greens and carts.

It's also possible they like to default where everyone pays more to ride and their revenue stays higher.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

... Prairie Bluff used Chronogolf and the only option is with cart. But when I get to the course and say I'm walking they charge me the walking rate. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

44 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Prairie Bluff used Chronogolf and the only option is with cart. But when I get to the course and say I'm walking they charge me the walking rate. 

Doesn't work for prepaid rounds. I'd say 90% of my rounds these days are prepaid.

54 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

Arg,

It's choice made when setting up the course profiles in the booking engine.

Both Shepherd's and Sportsman's - both are TeeitUp clients, have had Riding and Walking options displayed for years.

Why not ask the course managers at these venues this exact question ?

They just to go into the setup page to tick off the boxes in TIU and enter the pricing for greens and carts.

It's also possible they like to default where everyone pays more to ride and their revenue stays higher.

Yes, I know it's a choice. All the major booking engines can be configured to show multiple rates. I agree that it's likely a money grab. To make a few extra dollars they'll run the risk of losing the business of players who want to walk.

Coyote Run uses TeeItUp, and the sheet shows both rates. When one selects 'Book Now', the next page defaults to the riding rate. Not ideal, but at least one can change it to walking without having to call.

34 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Yes, I know it's a choice. All the major booking engines can be configured to show multiple rates. I agree that it's likely a money grab. To make a few extra dollars they'll run the risk of losing the business of players who want to walk.

Coyote Run uses TeeItUp, and the sheet shows both rates. When one selects 'Book Now', the next page defaults to the riding rate. Not ideal, but at least one can change it to walking without having to call.

sorry, brainfreeze got me.

thoughts of your IT background was trapped inside my third braincell to the left when I typed my original response.

those jacktards.....

Edited by @_the_crook
sp

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

An enjoyable fall day at Wilmette. We got a few sprinkles on the closing holes, but otherwise the rain stayed away. The course was in very nice shape. The 10th and 18th fairways were sanded (again), but the remainder were quite lush. Bunkers were a bit wet, and could use some more sand. I wouldn't call them hardpan, but there's definitely a firm base under the thin layer of sand. Greens looked great, and were rolling at ~10. No complaints on the 3:45 pace.

One of the better rounds recently. Ballstriking was solid with 9 fairways and 13 greens. I got off to a hot start with three birdies and a bogie on the front, but only managed one birdie on the back along with two bogies. 'Very happy with a one under round. Highlight of the day was actually getting a par on the final hole. The wind had started to pick up, and a solid drive still left me with 185 to the center pin. I hit a sweet 9 wood to 21 feet, and an easy two putt for a closing par.

Coyote Run tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chrisf60526 said:

I have to say that generally golf courses have some of the worst run websites around.  For a business that is increasingly going digital and relying on web bookings, the booking engines and websites are extremely sub par.

At least the popular booking engines (e.g. Tee It Up) bring some level of consistency. However, there are still plenty of courses that appear to be rolling their own, and they're usually pretty bad. It's amazing how many sites require more than one click to get to the tee sheet.

Golf is an $84 billion dollar industry. Why are we still picking up the phone to book tee times, check course conditions, or find out if walking is allowed? Still a lot of mom-and-pop operations I guess.

Last minute 9 at Ruffled Feathers.  Got home at 4:10, and was standing on the tee box at 4:25.  Since the front was littered with singles/doubles, I asked the ranger if I could play the back,  (the course was otherwise pretty empty AND all of my quick 9s have been on the front 9).  Played pretty well until the last 3 holes, where some bad luck and poor club selection resulted in bogies - 38.  
As has been the case this year, the course altogether is in great shape.   The walk across the street and back still sucks, though.  

View from the 15th tee - they sure could do some trimming....   

1883A233-98BF-4F6E-83FF-9E97085A4BA6.jpeg

• Like 3

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

5 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

At least the popular booking engines (e.g. Tee It Up) bring some level of consistency. However, there are still plenty of courses that appear to be rolling their own, and they're usually pretty bad. It's amazing how many sites require more than one click to get to the tee sheet.

Golf is an $84 billion dollar industry. Why are we still picking up the phone to book tee times, check course conditions, or find out if walking is allowed? Still a lot of mom-and-pop operations I guess.

I know why they don't do it, but when you book a tee time there should be a notification about aeration too. It will never happen, but I'd love it if it did. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I know why they don't do it, but when you book a tee time there should be a notification about aeration too. It will never happen, but I'd love it if it did. 

Yup, and cart path only. Some courses do show a red exclamation icon on the tee time that displays additional information when one mouses over it, but it's rare.

12 hours ago, stasek said:

Last minute 9 at Ruffled Feathers.  Got home at 4:10, and was standing on the tee box at 4:25.  Since the front was littered with singles/doubles, I asked the ranger if I could play the back,  (the course was otherwise pretty empty AND all of my quick 9s have been on the front 9).  Played pretty well until the last 3 holes, where some bad luck and poor club selection resulted in bogies - 38.  
As has been the case this year, the course altogether is in great shape.   The walk across the street and back still sucks, though.  

Trust required on this tee shot.

Edited by B-Man

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

14 hours ago, stasek said:

And trim the overhanging tree in front of the green so it makes it easier for me to get there in two lol

• Haha 1

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

TItleist ProV1

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Trust required on this tee shot.

Absolutely!   Coincidently, hit my best driver of the day, almost running through the fairway on the other side of the “hump”. Nothing like hitting a gap wedge from 125 into a par 5.  Too bad I missed the “sweet spot” on the green by couple yards - my yellow ball almost rolled into the hazard.

BC27A4DD-B7F2-483A-A6F1-E6FB83BE8BDF.jpeg.b01cf198354ee57d6ab889e0d704ade1.jpeg

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

6 minutes ago, ME27 said:

And trim the overhanging tree in front of the green so it makes it easier for me to get there in two lol

If they did that or WHEN that tree is gone, they  might as well turn the hole into a par-4.  It would be almost as tough as 5h hole.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stasek said:

If they did that or WHEN that tree is gone, they  might as well turn the hole into a par-4.  It would be almost as tough as 5h hole.  

Very true, as long as you hit the fairway the ball rolls out and have <150 in to a par 5. However it would still be easier than the 5th hole I always miss my drive right into the little valley and have a severe uphill approach and never score well on that hole. Not to mention it always plays into the wind for me. Tough hole.  

Edited by ME27

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

TItleist ProV1

I can barely contain my excitement and know this will send a shockwave of jealousy throughout the Chicago WRX community.  Tomorrow, I will be playing THE premier course in all of the Chicago area.  Tougher to get on than Chicago Golf Club; a range that is unparalleled anywhere, featuring a layout designed by the legendary Roy Case. This is his only course in illinois which only adds to the exclusivity of the experience. From the opening tee shot that immediately tests your mettle to an 18th hole that can only be described as legendary, this is a day that most of us dream about.

Tanna Farms...booked.

Be honest, you're salivating at this once in a lifetime opportunity probably setting an alarm on your phone knowing that a lengthy review will be coming sometime tomorrow evening.  I'll do my best to give you enough content so that you can visualize the experience.

No doubt B-Man is sitting at his desk shaking his head and just saying..."Why not me...why not me."  Sorry B.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3