Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

5 minutes ago, stasek said:

If they did that or WHEN that tree is gone, they  might as well turn the hole into a par-4.  It would be almost as tough as 5h hole.  

Very true, as long as you hit the fairway the ball rolls out and have <150 in to a par 5. However it would still be easier than the 5th hole I always miss my drive right into the little valley and have a severe uphill approach and never score well on that hole. Not to mention it always plays into the wind for me. Tough hole.  

Edited by ME27

Ping G425 LST 9 - Tensei Orange X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Srixon Z585 4-A - KBS C Taper Lite X

Callaway Jaws MD5 54

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58

Bettinardi BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1X Left Dash

I can barely contain my excitement and know this will send a shockwave of jealousy throughout the Chicago WRX community.  Tomorrow, I will be playing THE premier course in all of the Chicago area.  Tougher to get on than Chicago Golf Club; a range that is unparalleled anywhere, featuring a layout designed by the legendary Roy Case. This is his only course in illinois which only adds to the exclusivity of the experience. From the opening tee shot that immediately tests your mettle to an 18th hole that can only be described as legendary, this is a day that most of us dream about.

Tanna Farms...booked.

Be honest, you're salivating at this once in a lifetime opportunity probably setting an alarm on your phone knowing that a lengthy review will be coming sometime tomorrow evening.  I'll do my best to give you enough content so that you can visualize the experience.

No doubt B-Man is sitting at his desk shaking his head and just saying..."Why not me...why not me."  Sorry B.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Another beautiful fall day. I could get used to this, but I know it's not going to last long. Coyote Run this morning. The course was in great shape. A little damp to start the round, but the dew burned off quickly. Bunkers were groomed, and while a little damp, they were playing how you'd want them to play. Greens were rolling a good 10, and possibly 11 by the end of the round as the wind dried them out. They were a little bumpy, though. I got lucky with the pace again. I went out as a single at least 40 minutes behind a number of early groups. I played a little slower then I would normally, as it didn't appear that I'd be able to play through. I caught the first group on the 8th hole, and followed them for two holes. I knew there was nobody behind me, so after playing the 9th I skipped over to the 17th and played the final two holes before heading back to the 10th. I caught the group ahead again on the 12th, but they were moving at a good speed. I finished my day on the 16th at the 2:50 mark. 

Solid round today. Eight fairways, 13 greens, two birdies, and four bogies. I had good looks at birdie on the first three holes after hitting lob wedges into the greens, but missed them all. 'Finally got one to drop on the 4th. Highlight of the day was my birdie on my final hole, the par 3 16th. The golf gods certainly know how to lure you back. Just like the final hole at yesterday's round, the hole was playing into a hurting wind at 180 yds to a front pin. That hole always seems to play at least 1/2 club longer, and with the wind I went with my 9 wood again. I hit a beautiful high cut that basically fell out of the sky short and left of the pin. The ball mark was 12 inches in front of my ball. I had a 21 foot putt that I simply wanted to lag up for a tap in, but it fell in the cup on the last revolution. Sweet.

Stonewall Orchard on Monday. It's been 11 years since my last, and only visit to the course.

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

50 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

I can barely contain my excitement and know this will send a shockwave of jealousy throughout the Chicago WRX community.  Tomorrow, I will be playing THE premier course in all of the Chicago area.  Tougher to get on than Chicago Golf Club; a range that is unparalleled anywhere, featuring a layout designed by the legendary Roy Case. This is his only course in illinois which only adds to the exclusivity of the experience. From the opening tee shot that immediately tests your mettle to an 18th hole that can only be described as legendary, this is a day that most of us dream about.

Tanna Farms...booked.

Be honest, you're salivating at this once in a lifetime opportunity probably setting an alarm on your phone knowing that a lengthy review will be coming sometime tomorrow evening.  I'll do my best to give you enough content so that you can visualize the experience.

No doubt B-Man is sitting at his desk shaking his head and just saying..."Why not me...why not me."  Sorry B.

Glutton for punishment.

I watch people do stupid s*** all day from my office. But this angers me so much. Just because you have a blue flag doesn't mean you can pull all the way up to the green! Literally on the fringe. They get to the next tee box and look fully capable of not needing it either, playing the greens (6800), walking just fine. Just lazy. 

20201002_134958.jpg

Edited by mci711

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Tanna Farms...booked.

Just be careful not to tee it up on the putting green when you start off! 😄

• Like 2

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

yesterday we were partnered up with two players from the course that usually play in the group behind us. two of their regulars weren't able to play - we made some new friends and had a great time with these fellows from the near north side of the city.  turns out they know each other from high school days and are pals with some staff from the course.

my partner and I , thankfully, displayed well. the pins were placed for an IJGA session later that morning and we putted really great.  drilled some beautys and those guys thought we had the stars lined up in our favor.

next weekend is the Chili Open at Shepherd's. ought to be a lot of fun and the forecast is for a 70 degree day.

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

Tanna review - 

Paired with 2 guys who showed up for the 9:40 tee time at 9:45. Starter made us wait. 99.9% sure their last name was Mulligan.

Course conditions, sucked. Green were pock marked like a hormonal teenager. Lot of bare spots in the fairways. The dirt traps were really good though, hard pack dirt freshly groomed.

Bar closed, don't understand that one.

So to sum up Tanna in a word, sucked.

White Hawk Grey-to-Silver this morning with Bear. It was in the mid40’s, overcast, with a strong NW breeze making conditions a little different than my summer rounds at WH. The ball was just falling out of the sky well short of the target no matter how well it was struck. Fall golf. Might as well get used to it. There was no one else on the Silver course and we could’ve played another 9 there just for kicks if Bear didn’t have another tee time elsewhere already booked. Conditions were okay, but NWI got a lot of rain last night so the front nine was quite spongy. The length on Silver kicked our teeth in and I was happy just to break 80. Did so by one stroke. The forecast looks too good next weekend. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Cottonwood 2

What a day at Orchard Valley Saturday morning.  First time playing the course and everything I have heard was that the course is very gimmicky.  It surely was but I enjoyed it.  The course was packed and I had a 7:10am tee time with my 9 year old son.  The other twosome did not show up and the group in front of us was a foursome of walkers so we knew we would be waiting on every shot.  Front pace was fine at 1:50 minutes.  However, super nice gesture as they let us play through on the 10th tee and we finished the back in 1:20 minutes.

The course:  Wow. This is a hard course for me to rate...bunkers were unique with the grass mounds in the middle, real beautiful.  Tees and fairways were in nice shape.  Greens were awful with huge aeration holes and sanded.  There are a couple of holes that are a complete joke but overall, I thought the course was fine.  Way too many houses on the holes but what can you do.  

On the 12th par 3, I hit wedge that I thought might be in the hole but it was about 10 inches short.  Enjoyable outdoor patio overlooking the 18th hole and the weather was fairly nice.  Nice to check it off the list...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Shriner said:

What a day at Orchard Valley Saturday morning.  First time playing the course and everything I have heard was that the course is very gimmicky.  It surely was but I enjoyed it.  The course was packed and I had a 7:10am tee time with my 9 year old son.  The other twosome did not show up and the group in front of us was a foursome of walkers so we knew we would be waiting on every shot.  Front pace was fine at 1:50 minutes.  However, super nice gesture as they let us play through on the 10th tee and we finished the back in 1:20 minutes.

The course:  Wow. This is a hard course for me to rate...bunkers were unique with the grass mounds in the middle, real beautiful.  Tees and fairways were in nice shape.  Greens were awful with huge aeration holes and sanded.  There are a couple of holes that are a complete joke but overall, I thought the course was fine.  Way too many houses on the holes but what can you do.  

On the 12th par 3, I hit wedge that I thought might be in the hole but it was about 10 inches short.  Enjoyable outdoor patio overlooking the 18th hole and the weather was fairly nice.  Nice to check it off the list...

Intrigued to hear which holes you thought were a joke.  That hasn't crossed my mind about OV. Did the houses come into play for you?  Thinking there are 5-6 holes where there are houses but aren't they pretty offset from the course?

31 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Intrigued to hear which holes you thought were a joke.  That hasn't crossed my mind about OV. Did the houses come into play for you?  Thinking there are 5-6 holes where there are houses but aren't they pretty offset from the course?

31 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

I had no problems with hitting into houses but I could definitely see me having a problem on another day!  Hole 13 was the biggest laugher for me.  451 yard par 4 but you couldn't hit 3wood or driver off the tee because the fairway runs into a large water/pond/waste area at 240-250.  So you have to lay up with a long iron and then you probably can't reach in two on a par 4?  Strange.  I got lucky and had 230 in, hit a 3w hook around some trees, but I would never hit that shot again in 10 tries. 

Hole 9 was just silly with the range balls on the fairway. Must have been roughly 50-75 balls on the fairway.  Cant have that happen on a course.

Hole 3 is too tight with houses on left and water on right.  Those poor houses probably get destroyed.  Hole 15 needs to have distance markers to tell you where the fairway runs out.  The two identical 90 degree par 5's over water (4 and 16) need some sort of markers so you know the distance to edge of fairways.  It was just a complete guessing game for me to know where to cross the water and not go through the fairway into houses.  I won't talk about the pin on 16 that was on the top of a hill...lol.  Some of this would be avoid by playing the course multiple times.

You are right...about 5-6 holes.  The houses are tight on holes 3, 4, 8, 16 and 17...from what I remember.  Again, not much you can do with a course routed through a subdivision.  I enjoyed the course and would play again, especially without aeration...

• Like 1

Definitely agree on 13, that long of a hole shouldn't take driver out of your hand.  Move the tees up and make it a short par 4, risk reward for carrying the schmutz.

The decision on 3 is risk/reward in terms of how much you want to cut off the lake. In all the rounds I've played there, only once did the houses in the left come into play but I can understand what you're thinking.  To me, that's probably the largest fairway on the entire course, and again, it depends on how safe you want to play.

20 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Tanna review - 

Paired with 2 guys who showed up for the 9:40 tee time at 9:45. Starter made us wait. 99.9% sure their last name was Mulligan.

Course conditions, sucked. Green were pock marked like a hormonal teenager. Lot of bare spots in the fairways. The dirt traps were really good though, hard pack dirt freshly groomed.

Bar closed, don't understand that one.

So to sum up Tanna in a word, sucked.

Of all the crap and odd on-course scenarios that have happened to you, this one is on you. Well deserved.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VNutz said:

Of all the crap and odd on-course scenarios that have happened to you, this one is on you. Well deserved.

Nothing finer than chicken tenders on a sunny day!

• Like 1

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

10 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Nothing finer than chicken tenders on a sunny day!

Or am I getting mixed up with Whisper Creek?

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

A very enjoyable morning at Stonewall Orchard, minus one nit. First frost delay of the fall season, 40 minutes. Tee to green the course was in excellent shape. The bunkers? Not so much. How about a little sand, guys. The greens were fantastic, and quick as heck. With melting frost on the opening holes, they were probably rolling 10. With plenty of sun and a nice breeze they dried off, and had to be rolling 11 or more by mid round. I had a slightly downhill 21 footer on the 7th that I barely got rolling, and it finished 8 feet past the cup. I got lucky again today with the pace. I was scheduled to join a threesome in the third group off, but one of the two twosomes in the first group was a no-show, so the starter moved me up to the front of the line. Sweet. Wound up teeing off only twenty minutes behind my scheduled tee time. On the 2nd teebox the twosome said that they had a second round booked at Prairie Landing today, and asked if I minded if they took off. "No worries", I said. Run, rabbits, run. On the par 5 3rd I'm hitting my approach, and I see four players in the middle of the 4th fairway. FFS. For whatever stupid reason the starter decided to send a group off on the 3rd hole around the same time we teed off. I assume he thought that a threesome wouldn't catch them? Nitwit. I wound up playing through the group on the 5th, and then had clear sailing. Finished the round in 2:45.

Solid round ballstriking with 10 fairways and 11 greens. With the greens rolling as quick as they were I felt like I was putting very defensively, so I didn't put a lot of good rolls on my putts. I did managed back to back birdies on the 14th and 15th after sticking wedges in tight. Four bogies on the day. Highlight of the round was the 18th. A bit of a pull off the tee left me in the left rough with a dodgy lie. I caught the ball a bit fat, and instead of having a wedge into the front pin I was 150 out in the right rough. With a steady left to right wind I choked down on an 8 iron, and hit a nice little draw that held the wind, and wound up 6 feet below the pin. Of course I missed the closing birdie putt. I swear it should have broke left towards the water, but it actually went right a few inches. Lol.

Heading down to Oak Springs in Saint Anne tomorrow for a first visit. The course is ~10 miles southeast of Kankakee near Kankakee Elks. Given the lengthy drive, I may play Aspen Ridge in Bourbonnais on the way back.

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

As LD mentioned, we played White Hawk yesterday in Crown Point. It was my second time there. I'm not big on rating courses and such, but I would definitely say that White Hawk is one of the more challenging courses in our area. Especially, if you play a combo that has the Silver Hawk 9 in it. Also, we had the place to ourselves. Given how jammed the courses have been, it was nice to play a quiet round for a change (i.e. no bros blaring crap music from their carts).

Given that the courses weren't busy yesterday, I decided to grab another round and played Kankakee Elks. I actually played Elks a few weeks ago and it was in the best shape I've seen it. I was hoping for a repeat. Tee-to-green it was, but they just punched their greens. They used the small tines and it wasn't overly sanded, but it was still a bit disappointing. I know it is aeration season, but the greens were excellent a few weeks ago. However, the pace did not disappoint. I teed off just after 12:30. Played through a foursome and it was clear sailing. Was finished by 2:45. Can't beat that.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist 816 H1 19*

Titleist TS3 23*
Sub 70 639 CBs (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 48*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan 612

Played Bolingbrook yesterday morning.  Yup - it was cold and windy...  Course is in great condition - with some of the nicest greens I played all year long (except the fact some ****** in front of us had to be doing pirouettes around the flagstick).

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

A very enjoyable morning at Stonewall Orchard, minus one nit. First frost delay of the fall season, 40 minutes. Tee to green the course was in excellent shape. The bunkers? Not so much. How about a little sand, guys. The greens were fantastic, and quick as heck. With melting frost on the opening holes, they were probably rolling 10. With plenty of sun and a nice breeze they dried off, and had to be rolling 11 or more by mid round. I had a slightly downhill 21 footer on the 7th that I barely got rolling, and it finished 8 feet past the cup. I got lucky again today with the pace. I was scheduled to join a threesome in the third group off, but one of the two twosomes in the first group was a no-show, so the starter moved me up to the front of the line. Sweet. Wound up teeing off only twenty minutes behind my scheduled tee time. On the 2nd teebox the twosome said that they had a second round booked at Prairie Landing today, and asked if I minded if they took off. "No worries", I said. Run, rabbits, run. On the par 5 3rd I'm hitting my approach, and I see four players in the middle of the 4th fairway. FFS. For whatever stupid reason the starter decided to send a group off on the 3rd hole around the same time we teed off. I assume he thought that a threesome wouldn't catch them? Nitwit. I wound up playing through the group on the 5th, and then had clear sailing. Finished the round in 2:45.

Solid round ballstriking with 10 fairways and 11 greens. With the greens rolling as quick as they were I felt like I was putting very defensively, so I didn't put a lot of good rolls on my putts. I did managed back to back birdies on the 14th and 15th after sticking wedges in tight. Four bogies on the day. Highlight of the round was the 18th. A bit of a pull off the tee left me in the left rough with a dodgy lie. I caught the ball a bit fat, and instead of having a wedge into the front pin I was 150 out in the right rough. With a steady left to right wind I choked down on an 8 iron, and hit a nice little draw that held the wind, and wound up 6 feet below the pin. Of course I missed the closing birdie putt. I swear it should have broke left towards the water, but it actually went right a few inches. Lol.

Heading down to Oak Springs in Saint Anne tomorrow for a first visit. The course is ~10 miles southeast of Kankakee near Kankakee Elks. Given the lengthy drive, I may play Aspen Ridge in Bourbonnais on the way back.

spacer.png

sounds like things ended up ok after the frustrating bit with the 4-some

i birdied those same two holes 14 and 15 When I played there two weeks ago!

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

Argonne

i wish I would have seen your previous post, I was off today and live 10 min from there. Would have joined you is you wanted.

• Like 1
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Gorgeous day today. Couldn't ask for nicer weather to play 36. I started the day with my first visit to Oak Springs in Saint Anne near Kankakee. It's a parkland layout, although the first six holes are much more wooded than the others with a lot of towering oak trees. I guess you could call the back nine parkland, but the trees, while  large, were fairly sparse. I was a bit disappointed, as I was expecting something more along the lines of Kankakee Elks. There is a small ridge that runs through the center of the course, so a few greens and teeboxes are somewhat elevated, but otherwise it was quite flat. The wooded opening holes were tough, with a few challenging tee shots, but otherwise it was fairly benign. It had a good mix of holes, and a few interesting green complexes. The others were meh. For $22 though it was decent enough. Conditions tee to green were much nicer than Manteno. Actual grass in the fairways. Bunkers were in good shape. Unfortunately they aerated the greens a week to 10 days ago, and while they had healed somewhat, the holes were still affecting the roll. Green speeds were quick, probably 10 to 11. Combine the speed and the condition, and it wasn't a day for birdies. 

Solid day ballstriking with 10 fairways and 11 greens. Two birdies, and five bogies. With the greens in poor shape, there was little chance for birdies. 'Should have had three birdies, but the crazy green on the par 5 12th robbed me. I hit what I thought was a nice lob wedge to within tap in range of the center pin. I put my wedge in the bag, and started walking to the green. I looked up and the ball was slowly working its way down to the front of the green. I was left with a 21 footer for birdie. The hole was on a slope, and I have no idea how one would stop a ball near the hole. Lol. The highlight of the day was holing out a 25 yd pitch/chip for birdie on the long par 4 17th. A good drive and a slightly fat hybrid left me in the right rough short of the green, but my gap wedge bailed me out.

I can't say I'd recommend the course. For the money it was a good value. Much better than a goat ranch, but not worth the trip. It might make a good pairing if one was going to play 36 with Kankakee Elks as the second course.

Tough front pin on the par 3 8th playing 190 yds with just a few yds to work with in front of the green.

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1