Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

I bought myself an early Christmas present and wanted to take my new irons out for a spin so Bear and I played beautiful Deer Creek today. It was walking only (two of the best words in the English language when paired together) and the course was swampy in low spots and spongy in several others. However, it was very playable and the sun came out for the back nine, making things even nicer. Deer Creek will never win any prizes but it was definitely worth the $20 we each paid. The tee boxes were pretty chewed from the good weather last week but they had come out and rolled the greens so those were much smoother than I expected. Almost all the pins were in the back, which is great when the course is frozen. I’m guessing those will be the same pin locations for the next few months. One birdie, some solid iron shots, and a 75. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

7 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

I bought myself an early Christmas present and wanted to take my new irons out for a spin so Bear and I played beautiful Deer Creek today. It was walking only (two of the best words in the English language when paired together) and the course was swampy in low spots and spongy in several others. However, it was very playable and the sun came out for the back nine, making things even nicer. Deer Creek will never win any prizes but it was definitely worth the $20 we each paid. The tee boxes were pretty chewed from the good weather last week but they had come out and rolled the greens so those were much smoother than I expected. Almost all the pins were in the back, which is great when the course is frozen. I’m guessing those will be the same pin locations for the next few months. One birdie, some solid iron shots, and a 75. 

Don't leave us hanging! Lol. What irons did you get? 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Don't leave us hanging! Lol. What irons did you get? 

It’s in my signature. Honma TW747v 4-10 with Nippon Modus 105 shafts. I’ve never had a 10 iron before. Lots of PW’s but never a 10. I like them. More compact than my 919 Tours and I don’t miss the huge 919 Forged 5 iron. The problem is it was 32° when we teed off so I put a Duo in play. It’s tough to gauge how an iron feels when hitting the Duo. Every shot feels like a ProV1 in July. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 12/9/2020 at 11:59 AM, VNutz said:

Ryder Cup again would be better but I'll take it. Weird to think that 2026 is closer in time than the 2012 Cup was. Doesn't feel right, feeling old now...

There's been some low scoring there recently, most notably at the BMW last year. But the course was really wet and no course can withstand today's players when the course is gettable. But do they really need a significant renovation again? 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

10 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

There's been some low scoring there recently, most notably at the BMW last year. But the course was really wet and no course can withstand today's players when the course is gettable. But do they really need a significant renovation again? 

No clue, but I guess if they want to remain in the conversation they might have to consider it. I was shocked how low those guys went there in 2019. Just days before the tourney Mark Rolfing was on ESPN radio and predicted high scores. He said with the length the course was playing and the high rough that scoring would be incredibly high, then JT goes out and fires a 61. I was really bummed when soft conditions made it a cakewalk for the 06 PGA, this was another level entirely. I'd like to see it get a fair shot in conditions like what Olympia had this year, where it was firm and fast and played like a major course.

1 minute ago, VNutz said:

No clue, but I guess if they want to remain in the conversation they might have to consider it. I was shocked how low those guys went there in 2019. Just days before the tourney Mark Rolfing was on ESPN radio and predicted high scores. He said with the length the course was playing and the high rough that scoring would be incredibly high, then JT goes out and fires a 61. I was really bummed when soft conditions made it a cakewalk for the 06 PGA, this was another level entirely. I'd like to see it get a fair shot in conditions like what Olympia had this year, where it was firm and fast and played like a major course.

This is the problem with courses in the Midwest. It rains here at inconvenient times. It rains pretty much every Father's Day Weekend, meaning anytime a US Open is held around here, the courses are soft and scores will be low. The tournament at Medinah in 2019 had almost comical scores. I don't know what the solution is though. More redesigns can't change regional weather patterns.                          

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

1 hour ago, ldchristopher said:

This is the problem with courses in the Midwest. It rains here at inconvenient times. It rains pretty much every Father's Day Weekend, meaning anytime a US Open is held around here, the courses are soft and scores will be low. The tournament at Medinah in 2019 had almost comical scores. I don't know what the solution is though. More redesigns can't change regional weather patterns.                          

Hard to argue. Same thing happened at the Erin Hills U.S. Open.

The proceeding weeks to the tournament were dry and guys playing practice rounds talked about how fast and difficult the course was playing. To the extent, that the USGA actually went out and cut down the fescue in some areas. But, of course, being the upper Midwest, early in the Open week the course was hammered by storms. A couple of inches of rain and a brand new ballgame. Sadly, some golf fans and media then thought that Erin Hills was a pushover, not worthy of hosting a U.S. Open. If the Open had been the week prior, the narrative likely would have been much different. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

On 12/14/2020 at 10:45 AM, TheBear95 said:

Hard to argue. Same thing happened at the Erin Hills U.S. Open.

The proceeding weeks to the tournament were dry and guys playing practice rounds talked about how fast and difficult the course was playing. To the extent, that the USGA actually went out and cut down the fescue in some areas. But, of course, being the upper Midwest, early in the Open week the course was hammered by storms. A couple of inches of rain and a brand new ballgame. Sadly, some golf fans and media then thought that Erin Hills was a pushover, not worthy of hosting a U.S. Open. If the Open had been the week prior, the narrative likely would have been much different. 

I remember we played the week before that Open. There were 30 mph winds and there had been no rain for a couple of weeks previous, which was very rare for that time of year. I walked off the course thinking if these were the conditions for the Open, the winning score could be over par. Then Kevin Na complained, they cut a bunch of fescue, it poured rain, and the pros ripped up Erin Hills.  

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

first time this year I ducked work for a weekday game.

bit of chill in the air, brisk wind and every tee box thumped like plywood.

the third player we picked up actually had a screwdriver in his bag to punch holes in the turf for a tee.

I'd heard of it - today I saw it.

ball rolled out big time on hard fairways and interesting trying to hold the greens, even with their recent dressing.

into a stiff breeze, number twelve played over 600. thought I was on fourteen at the Crook.

can't wait to go back tomorrow.

to call us knuckleheads would be an understatement.

• Like 4

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Highland Woods today. Bear is nearing 100 rounds and I'm up to 57. Hopefully he can get to triple digits before the cold front comes in later this week. HW was quite firm and the greens were probably the fastest I've played all year. It's crazy what happens when a course freezes. It was in the low 30's for the first few holes and we both limped to a 40 on the front. However, I shot -2 on the back with birdies on 15 and 18. Ball striking with the new irons was excellent and my putter was behaving as well. Walking up 18 was comical with an orange ball and a lime green ball sitting on a spray painted green. Nothing says "Winter golf" like that visual. 74. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

Fox Lake Country Club Saturday and Sunday.

I've played more in December than I did in September through November.  

I know it's been great for the courses, but I truly hope people find other things to do besides golf in 2021.  

The crowds are unbearable for a 90% solo player like me.  

Edited by St Jimmy
  • Like 4

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

No birdies were harmed in the playing of this round...

20201221_124205.jpg.2bb9cf682c0dcf11b551b03bcecf5428.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Lol. 'Little different here in the Valley. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

GDN today. When we got there, a bunch of guys were hanging around waiting out a frost delay. Apparently there were two patches of frost on 1 and 2. They weren’t visible nor do I think they were even still present but...whatever. The course was in horrid shape. I didn’t think Highland Woods would be in considerably better condition than GDN but that was absolutely the case. I hit the ball really well but had no birdies and five bogies. 77. I think that will probably be it for golf in 2020. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

Played my 100th round of 2020 this morning at Marengo Ridge. This is only the second time I've gotten to triple digit rounds in a calendar year. My on-course exploits are never worth applauding, but I think this is worth sharing, lol.

Marengo Ridge was hardly my first choice, but it worked out well. I was the first guy there and had the course to myself. When I was leaving, it was all jammed up on the first tee, so it definitely paid to get out early. 

Overall, I was shocked at how dry the course was. For December 23rd, its usually mud balls and slop, but Marengo Ridge was extremely playable.

I've played a ton of rounds since Oct. 1. I know 2020 has been a lot of things, but it has been the best year for late season Chicagoland golf. No snow, rather dry with decent temps. Looks like winter is finally coming tonight. It was a good run.

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... Not to rub it in your faces but I played 8 days in a row and needed a break. The sky in Phoenix is usually cloudless and so blue it looks like it was painted. My favorite little muni is Aguila and with a Phoenix city card it is $22 to walk. Most are well over $100 in season so this is a bargain and then some. This is #12 a 430 yd par 4 but with the hard and fast desert fairways and downhill about 260 out I usually have a mid iron to the hole. Back in Chicago I would be hitting a hybrid for my second shot. Stay warm guys!

546892352_Aguila12.jpg.c141850b18f57615d9d0785e39dd79e7.jpg

Where are the wisecrackers with the “wrong thread” post?

😄

23 hours ago, chisag said:

... Not to rub it in your faces but I played 8 days in a row and needed a break. The sky in Phoenix is usually cloudless and so blue it looks like it was painted. My favorite little muni is Aguila and with a Phoenix city card it is $22 to walk. Most are well over $100 in season so this is a bargain and then some. This is #12 a 430 yd par 4 but with the hard and fast desert fairways and downhill about 260 out I usually have a mid iron to the hole. Back in Chicago I would be hitting a hybrid for my second shot. Stay warm guys!

546892352_Aguila12.jpg.c141850b18f57615d9d0785e39dd79e7.jpg

Born in Babylon-ah

moved to Arizona

• Haha 2

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

8 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Getting a tee in the ground was near impossible and the bottom of my steel water bottle reflects that.

an old driver wrench can be used to punch a hole for the the tees.  the t-shaped handle is user friendly.

• Like 4

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

My plans to sell my condo and buy an RV got derailed last spring.

the RV market went wonky in 2020.

heard that new ones couldn't get built fast enough and dealers listed their used inventory at sky high prices.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

13 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

the RV market went wonky in 2020.

heard that new ones couldn't get built fast enough and dealers listed their used inventory at sky high prices.

I'll probably wind up buying a 4 or 5 year old used one from a private seller. Unless one buys from a touring band, the bigger (40+ ft) diesel pushers tend to have pretty low miles. Lots of folks simply drive south during the winter, and park it.

spacer.png

22 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Well, that was a "fun" year. Pandemic aside, my first full year of retirement was good for my golf game. 'Don't think I'll ever forget those early May rounds when we were playing twosomes 15 minutes apart. 'My kind of golf. Lol. I finished the year with 195 rounds. The shutdown during March and April derailed my hopes of getting 200 rounds in, but there's always 2021. I played 143 different courses, with 92 new ones. 

The golf game made incremental improvements. I switched to a fade off the tee mid-season, and the irons shortly after. 'Way too many ugly hooks, and the fade, while not perfect, has better misses. Oh, and what a surprise it gets the ball in the air, allowing me to hold more greens. I finished the season averaging 2 more GIRs over the low average early in the year. 

For the heck of it I got fit for PXG 0311T irons a few weeks back, but I doubt I'll pull the trigger on them. 'Not sure I want to drop the cash so early in retirement. I splurged on a new stand bag and headcovers, so that will have to suffice for a while.

I'll be down in Phoenix for another two months, and then I'll head back. My plans to sell my condo and buy an RV got derailed last spring. 'Hopefully this year is better.

Happy new year, everyone.

There’s never been a better time to buy the PXG line, fire sale on the irons right now.