Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

13 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

the RV market went wonky in 2020.

heard that new ones couldn't get built fast enough and dealers listed their used inventory at sky high prices.

I'll probably wind up buying a 4 or 5 year old used one from a private seller. Unless one buys from a touring band, the bigger (40+ ft) diesel pushers tend to have pretty low miles. Lots of folks simply drive south during the winter, and park it.

spacer.png

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a great round today and broke 90 for the first time, with an 89. That one and a half footer on 18 was intense. No 7’s or 8’s on the scorecard, just steady golf 

Last Wednesday a 20 year golf friend who I've play all over the country with, our own VNutz and I played Rich Harvest farms with the golf coach of my beloved NIU Huskies. Rich Harvest Farms is more li

Hope everyone had the opportunity to sit down and share a plate of food with someone they cherish today. If not, remember those you miss with a kind thought or word. These times have stresse

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Well, that was a "fun" year. Pandemic aside, my first full year of retirement was good for my golf game. 'Don't think I'll ever forget those early May rounds when we were playing twosomes 15 minutes apart. 'My kind of golf. Lol. I finished the year with 195 rounds. The shutdown during March and April derailed my hopes of getting 200 rounds in, but there's always 2021. I played 143 different courses, with 92 new ones. 

The golf game made incremental improvements. I switched to a fade off the tee mid-season, and the irons shortly after. 'Way too many ugly hooks, and the fade, while not perfect, has better misses. Oh, and what a surprise it gets the ball in the air, allowing me to hold more greens. I finished the season averaging 2 more GIRs over the low average early in the year. 

For the heck of it I got fit for PXG 0311T irons a few weeks back, but I doubt I'll pull the trigger on them. 'Not sure I want to drop the cash so early in retirement. I splurged on a new stand bag and headcovers, so that will have to suffice for a while.

I'll be down in Phoenix for another two months, and then I'll head back. My plans to sell my condo and buy an RV got derailed last spring. 'Hopefully this year is better.

Happy new year, everyone.

There’s never been a better time to buy the PXG line, fire sale on the irons right now.

1 hour ago, psygolf said:

There’s never been a better time to buy the PXG line, fire sale on the irons right now.

The problem is that they charge $39 for a basic upgraded shaft, e.g. Nippon 950GH. Ping and Mizuno never charged for basic shaft swaps. Yeah, I'm being cheap, but if I'm shelling out $250 per iron I don't think it's asking too much for a run of the mill shaft. 

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

26 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

The problem is that they charge $39 for a basic upgraded shaft, e.g. Nippon 950GH. Ping and Mizuno never charged for basic shaft swaps. Yeah, I'm being cheap, but if I'm shelling out $250 per iron I don't think it's asking too much for a run of the mill shaft. 

I don't get the appeal of PXG. Mizuno, Titleist and Ping, to me, feel, look, and perform better. There is a reason you never see "fire sales" for those brands. For a PXG iron to be $75+ more per club I'd hope to never miss a green again 😂. Just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

The usual upgrade shafts have been baked into the recent higher wholesale pricing in brands like Mizuno/Titleist...and I bring it to my reps’ attention every time they what to tout they have “no upcharge” on iron shafts >>> it’s because their wholesale $ per iron is $40 higher than it used to be when DG was the stock offering.

😉

• Like 1

... You guys would LYAO at the Phoenix locals. Yesterday was 58*, a light breeze and cloudy instead of the sunny 65+ it is normally. Golfers in long pants, jackets, beanies and some wearing mittens between shots LOL. Played with a local today that had a tee time yesterday but cancelled due to the "cold weather". 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Callaway Super Hybrid 17*  ... Diamana Limited 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Nippon 950GH
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950GH
Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950GH
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"
10 hours ago, chisag said:

... You guys would LYAO at the Phoenix locals. Yesterday was 58*, a light breeze and cloudy instead of the sunny 65+ it is normally. Golfers in long pants, jackets, beanies and some wearing mittens between shots LOL. Played with a local today that had a tee time yesterday but cancelled due to the "cold weather". 🤣

I put pants on for the first time in two months on Christmas Day when the family opened presents. Otherwise I've been in shorts for every round of golf and hike. 

22 hours ago, mci711 said:

I don't get the appeal of PXG. Mizuno, Titleist and Ping, to me, feel, look, and perform better. There is a reason you never see "fire sales" for those brands. For a PXG iron to be $75+ more per club I'd hope to never miss a green again 😂. Just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. 

I'm a low spin player. My i200s (2 degrees weak) are better than my Mizuno MP5s, but still can't get more than 4000 rpm on a 7 iron. I tried the 0311P model, and they were basically the same as the Pings. However, the 0311Ts (stock loft) got me up to 4400 rpm, and felt nearly as good as the Mizunos. With a 2 degree weak bend they would likely add a few hundred more RPMs.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 7:32 AM, Argonne69 said:

I'm a low spin player. My i200s (2 degrees weak) are better than my Mizuno MP5s, but still can't get more than 4000 rpm on a 7 iron. I tried the 0311P model, and they were basically the same as the Pings. However, the 0311Ts (stock loft) got me up to 4400 rpm, and felt nearly as good as the Mizunos. With a 2 degree weak bend they would likely add a few hundred more RPMs.

Shaft in your Pings?

26 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Shaft in your Pings?

from Arg's sig

Ping i200 7-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300

• Like 1

TEE EXS 220 10.5* - Testing continues - Accra TZ6 55M4 at 44.5”
TEE XCG7B 2h 17* -Aldila Tour Blue 85 
TEE XCG7B 4h 22* Aldila Rogue Blk85
TEE XCG7B 5h 25*- Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length Multiple sets with different shafts 
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

4 hours ago, geochitown said:

from Arg's sig

Ping i200 7-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300

One thing I didn't particularly like about the PXG fitting is the relatively few shaft offerings. They don't carry the XP 95s, so the Nippon 950GHs where the closest. 

7 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

One thing I didn't particularly like about the PXG fitting is the relatively few shaft offerings. They don't carry the XP 95s, so the Nippon 950GHs where the closest. 

Agreed...I noticed over the past few years, they as a company seem to lock on a flavor of the season when it comes to shafts.

If you haven’t tried it yet, find a place where you could try the 950GH Neo

Edited by psygolf
  • Like 1

This is not where I am playing tomorrow, but I was looking through pictures and reflecting on the 2020 Chicagoland golf season.  With small children I don't play near as much as I used to, but I try to make a point to play somewhere new/worthwhile when I do get a chance to play.  Aside from the tried and true rounds at Pine Meadow, Thunderhawk, and Stonewall Orchard, I made it out to the following new-for-me courses in 2020:

Weaver Ridge

TPC Deere Run

Chalet Hills

Mistwood

The Preserve at Oak Meadows.

After years of saying I'd do it, I finally made day trips to a couple of "best you can play by state" mainstays and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  WR could use some TLC, but overall I really enjoyed it, and TPC Deere Run may be my favorite course that I've played in the state.  The Preserve is probably my second favorite of the newly played courses in 2020, and will go into the rotation.  I also enjoyed Chalet Hills for its  challenging holes and low price point.  For all the fanfare, I was probably most disappointed by Mistwood.  That my be a result of over-anticipation, but despite the great facility and conditioning the course just didn't do much for me when considering the price point.

The remaining courses on the newest "best you can play" list for me are Cog, The General, the Glen Club, Ravisloe & Cantigny.  I will do my best to make it to the General, Ravisloe & Cantigny in 2021, but not sure I can see myself digging into the piggy bank to drop $100+ at Cog/Glen Club.  At those points I'd rather make the drive up to Wisconsin and play a top 50 public.

• Like 2

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

2:00 tee time. What up?

20210105_135045.jpg

• Like 2

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

2 hours ago, Gdane said:

This is not where I am playing tomorrow, but I was looking through pictures and reflecting on the 2020 Chicagoland golf season.  With small children I don't play near as much as I used to, but I try to make a point to play somewhere new/worthwhile when I do get a chance to play.  Aside from the tried and true rounds at Pine Meadow, Thunderhawk, and Stonewall Orchard, I made it out to the following new-for-me courses in 2020:

Weaver Ridge

TPC Deere Run

Chalet Hills

Mistwood

The Preserve at Oak Meadows.

After years of saying I'd do it, I finally made day trips to a couple of "best you can play by state" mainstays and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  WR could use some TLC, but overall I really enjoyed it, and TPC Deere Run may be my favorite course that I've played in the state.  The Preserve is probably my second favorite of the newly played courses in 2020, and will go into the rotation.  I also enjoyed Chalet Hills for its  challenging holes and low price point.  For all the fanfare, I was probably most disappointed by Mistwood.  That my be a result of over-anticipation, but despite the great facility and conditioning the course just didn't do much for me when considering the price point.

The remaining courses on the newest "best you can play" list for me are Cog, The General, the Glen Club, Ravisloe & Cantigny.  I will do my best to make it to the General, Ravisloe & Cantigny in 2021, but not sure I can see myself digging into the piggy bank to drop $100+ at Cog/Glen Club.  At those points I'd rather make the drive up to Wisconsin and play a top 50 public.

When Dubs was a regular PGA Tour stop I could see why it was able to get the $150+ fee. The tour has long moved on, and while it's still a wonderful layout, it's hard to justify the price. As far as I'm aware, they offer no discounts in the shoulder seasons. At least The Glen Club offers discounted rates in the late fall. 

Cantigny is another one that is bordering on being overpriced. Wonderfully layout, but it's double the cost of a handful of other top courses. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

When Dubs was a regular PGA Tour stop I could see why it was able to get the $150+ fee. The tour has long moved on, and while it's still a wonderful layout, it's hard to justify the price. As far as I'm aware, they offer no discounts in the shoulder seasons. At least The Glen Club offers discounted rates in the late fall. 

Cantigny is another one that is bordering on being overpriced. Wonderfully layout, but it's double the cost of a handful of other top courses. 

My only rebuttal to Cantigny is it is almost impossible to get a tee time for 2+ at Cantigny on the weekend, even as a single it isn't a guarantee. They could probably raise their prices and still stack to the tee sheet. Somewhat of a wealthy area with a lot of golfers. 

I don't see that as much with Dubs, seems like less people play there and I usually fly through when I play it. 

The more I think about it over the years the more I agree with the OP - Deer Run is the best public course in Illinois. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, B-Man said:

The "Queen B-Man". Hmm. Maybe I'll have to rename it.

20210105_161116.jpg.a2a814c6fcf2cd8cc6d48ec029e4b936.jpg

20210105_161126.jpg.8b9faac385af1d3d57554a91e1309662.jpg

I know it’s strictly aesthetic but I love the micro honeycomb milling. It’s such a nice touch. 

Mizuno ST200 10.5° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H2 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Matera FN

15 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Need to share the story, not just the outcome. And thanks for stopping by considering you were a couple of blocks away!

Apologies DP. For some reason I thought you had retired and were living near the Farms in the Geneva area.

Not much of a story. Sold a wedge for $40 last week and thought I would treat myself!

Edited by B-Man
  • Like 2

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

4 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Apologies DP. For some reason I thought you had retired and living near the Farms in the Geneva area.

Not much of a story. Sold a wedge for $40 last week and though I would treat myself!

Still working on the move to the Farm. A bit away.

Intrigued to hear about the fitting process as everyone who have gone through the process has raved about the Bettirnardi team.

36 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Fitting process was better than expected. Very thorough.

Quick summary:

- 2:00 appt for an hour. Costs $100 but that goes to the cost if you purchase a putter on the day.

- Fitter Matt had 8 appointments yesterday. I got started about 2:10. Took 45 minutes all in.

- Started off with 10 or so 20' putts on putting green with my gamer with Matt looking at from behind the hole back.

- All current models are on a rack beside the practice green. Matt explained the design & characteristics of each model currently available. I hit 10 putts or so with each model and chose 1 or 2 based on feel, looks etc. Typically for other handers (not lefties), due to the amount of models and styles available (between more than 20), right handers will take 20-30 minutes here. I spent 5 minutes. (You get the idea.)

- Picked 1 model and moved to the fitting platform with the 1080fps camera and Quintic fitting system. Awesome.

- Hit 5 or so putts, adjusted shaft length.

- Hit 5 or so putts, adjusted lie.

- Hit 5 or so putts, adjusted loft.

- Hit 5 or so putts, BOOM! Sold.

- "Looks like we found something. Good? Shall we check in the Vault for an all black version."

Only the second time I've ever had a putter fitting. Last one was over 10 yrs back and was okay. All in all, well worth it. I went in there with some idea of what 4 models I was looking at (mallet shape mostly) but with no fancy to anyone in particular. If anything I was leaning towards the Inovai model or Studio Stock 7. Neither of those were adequate. And with the Studio being straight down LaGrange Rd. for me 30 minutes away, done deal.

Do yerself a favor!

... Nice! Putting is one on the strongest parts of my game and probably the only part I have never tinkered with. I had a fitting with Chris at Mistwood expecting loft to be adjusted and that was about it. There was so much more though. I had my eyes about 3" inside the line and have a heavy gate stroke. Turned out any tempo and stroke length was just about identical for every stroke. Chris asks are you a streaky putter and I respond no. He says how about this, you are an excellent lag putter but some days the 3-8 footers just don't fall as you burn the edges on both sides? And I say well yea, that would be accurate. He tells me because of the heavy arc my putter face angle varied just a little at impact which is enough to miss those makable putts some days. 

... So he has me shorten my stroke, stand with my eyes directly over the ball and use less of an arc. I proceeded to make everything in the 3-8' range. After experimenting several months I have found a shorter stroke doesn't work for me but eyes over the ball and a reduced arc has worked out really well once I became comfortable with the change. 35 years of playing and I never even thought of changing my stroke but thanks to a putter fitting, I have become more consistent with my makable putts. Like B-Man I highly recommend a putter fitting. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade SIM Max ... Diamana Limited 55R
Callaway Super Hybrid 17*  ... Diamana Limited 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Nippon 950GH
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950GH
Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950GH
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

setup is huge for putting

TEE EXS 220 10.5* - Testing continues - Accra TZ6 55M4 at 44.5”
TEE XCG7B 2h 17* -Aldila Tour Blue 85 
TEE XCG7B 4h 22* Aldila Rogue Blk85
TEE XCG7B 5h 25*- Diamana Thump i465ct 4i shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) at -1/2" length Multiple sets with different shafts 
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
SC Futura X5r 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

22 hours ago, B-Man said:

Quick summary:

- 2:00 appt for an hour. Costs $100 but that goes to the cost if you purchase a putter on the day.

- Fitter Matt had 8 appointments yesterday. I got started about 2:10. Took 45 minutes all in.

- Started off with 10 or so 20' putts on putting green with my gamer with Matt looking at from behind the hole back.

- All current models are on a rack beside the practice green. Matt explained the design & characteristics of each model currently available. I hit 10 putts or so with each model and chose 1 or 2 based on feel, looks etc. Typically for other handers (not lefties), due to the amount of models and styles available (between more than 20), right handers will take 20-30 minutes here. I spent 5 minutes. (You get the idea.)

- Picked 1 model and moved to the fitting platform with the 1080fps camera and Quintic fitting system. Awesome.

- "Looks like we found something. Good? Shall we check in the Vault for an all black version."

Only the second time I've ever had a putter fitting. Last one was over 10 yrs back and was okay. All in all, well worth it. I went in there with some idea of what 4 models I was looking at (mallet shape mostly) but with no fancy to anyone in particular. If anything I was leaning towards the Inovai model or Studio Stock 7. Neither of those were adequate. And with the Studio being straight down LaGrange Rd. for me 30 minutes away, done deal.

Do yerself a favor!

Thanks for sharing BMan, it sounds like an awesome experience! 

On 1/6/2021 at 10:44 AM, chisag said:

... Nice! Putting is one on the strongest parts of my game and probably the only part I have never tinkered with. I had a fitting with Chris at Mistwood expecting loft to be adjusted and that was about it. There was so much more though. I had my eyes about 3" inside the line and have a heavy gate stroke. Turned out any tempo and stroke length was just about identical for every stroke. Chris asks are you a streaky putter and I respond no. He says how about this, you are an excellent lag putter but some days the 3-8 footers just don't fall as you burn the edges on both sides? And I say well yea, that would be accurate. He tells me because of the heavy arc my putter face angle varied just a little at impact which is enough to miss those makable putts some days. 

... So he has me shorten my stroke, stand with my eyes directly over the ball and use less of an arc. I proceeded to make everything in the 3-8' range. After experimenting several months I have found a shorter stroke doesn't work for me but eyes over the ball and a reduced arc has worked out really well once I became comfortable with the change. 35 years of playing and I never even thought of changing my stroke but thanks to a putter fitting, I have become more consistent with my makable putts. Like B-Man I highly recommend a putter fitting. 

We went to the Studio B back in ‘05, I believe it had been open less than a year...I asked the fitter “what are the more common adjustments that you all make to the putters you are fitting, any trends?”

He responded that a vast majority of players have too much loft for their putting stroke, that they end up adjusting 80-90% of them down 2-3deg.

Then I asked him, “if that is the case, why not make your std loft on all of your stock putters 2deg...seems like it would work to your benefit, right?”

He said...”never thought of that, but since Scotty’s are at 4deg, that’s where everyone is at.”

🤔

• Like 1
On 1/6/2021 at 9:55 AM, B-Man said:

Quick summary:

Do yerself a favor!

Had basically the same experience for my fitting in 2018. All around great place. I’ve been a big Betti fan for a few years, especially with them being local. Need to get some of their cool headcovers. But so many options, don’t know where to start. 

The Hive was awesome to check out too, some sick putters in there.