Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

I think he must have sobered up by page 126 or else that post would have been a little more interesting, perhaps...

• Like 2

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

12 hours ago, Woodridge said:

Fun thread guys. I made it through all 126 pages and learned a lot about courses in Chicagoland that I haven't had a chance to play.  

That's only Round 3. The 1st two rounds are better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

1 hour ago, geochitown said:

I think he must have sobered up by page 126 or else that post would have been a little more interesting, perhaps...

It started out to be longer, but after reading it I realized no one would really be that interested. Cliff notes version...

Joliet area golfer, mainly played at Wedgewood and Inwood along with Carillon and Prairie Bluff until joining Morris CC a few years ago. With Morris, you also get Nettle Creek and I agree with the comparison with Carillon. Nettle is pretty wide open and with big greens. Morris is a short, tricky course with small greens. I opt to play Nettle usually because most members play Morris and as a single I can play 18 in around 2 hours some days. I also play in a few Hickory golf events per year in IL and WI which is a blast.

Favorite Chicagoland courses

Prairie Bluff

Cantigney

Pine Meadow ( I remember it as being better than some of the reviews I've read from you guys)

Morris CC

Naperbrook

Favorite non IL courses

White Bear Yacht Club

Vail Golf Club

Hazeltine

Golden Valley CC

Whistling Straits (Straits Course)

• Like 3

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

19 minutes ago, Woodridge said:

It started out to be longer, but after reading it I realized no one would really be that interested. Cliff notes version...

Joliet area golfer, mainly played at Wedgewood and Inwood along with Carillon and Prairie Bluff until joining Morris CC a few years ago. With Morris, you also get Nettle Creek and I agree with the comparison with Carillon. Nettle is pretty wide open and with big greens. Morris is a short, tricky course with small greens. I opt to play Nettle usually because most members play Morris and as a single I can play 18 in around 2 hours some days. I also play in a few Hickory golf events per year in IL and WI which is a blast.

Prairie Bluff

Cantigney

Pine Meadow ( I remember it as being better than some of the reviews I've read from you guys)

Morris CC

Naperbrook

Favorite non IL courses

White Bear Yacht Club

Vail Golf Club

Hazeltine

Golden Valley CC

Welcome and thanks for posting...

let me know if you come up to Pine Meadow (I enjoy it a lot and since I moved to Libertyville from Idaho,

before that grew up in Arlington Heights, it's become on of my local courses.

Have you come up to play the Preserve?

Hickories?  I've haven't ever, but did you play those up at Spring Valley.

I need to go see that course.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

43 minutes ago, geochitown said:

Welcome and thanks for posting...

let me know if you come up to Pine Meadow (I enjoy it a lot and since I moved to Libertyville from Idaho,

before that grew up in Arlington Heights, it's become on of my local courses.

Have you come up to play the Preserve?

Hickories?  I've haven't ever, but did you play those up at Spring Valley.

I need to go see that course.

Thanks for the welcome. 

I don't get up that way often, but if I do it would be great to connect. I have not played the Preserve, but it seems to have a big following here.

Hickories in IL are played at Metamora Fields and Washington, IL in the Spring and Fall. We also play with a feathery ball for 9 holes which is a hoot. There's also a tournament in Galesburg. WI holds an event at Whistling Straits both the Irish and Straits course in May. THere are also events at Tuscumbia and Lawsonia. Guys usually bring extra sets for those who don't have their own clubs. If anyone is interested, I can connect you with the right folks.

hickory 2020 2.jpg

• Like 4

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

That is a lot of reading. Glad you didn't give up on us! 

Off topic, got my first dose of the Moderna Covid-19 vaccine today! Arm is starting to get sore, 4 hours in. Hopefully soon distribution is able to really start picking up as Illinois moves into Phase 1B and things can slowly, and safely, start returning to normal. Whatever that new normal may be. 

• Like 4

It was a fun read. Some classic banter and good course reviews. I'll have to hunt down versions 1 and 2 when I have time if they still exist on here.

I've heard good things about the Moderna vaccine. It seems like that's the one available in IL.

On another note, I went to the Mistwood dome for the 1st time last week and enjoyed it. I was way overdressed and got overheated so going forward I'll leave a layer or two at home. I think it's a good value for the money. I liked the trackman or whatever version that they have of that. For me, I think playing the virtual golf is distracting if you're trying to work on your game. Most of the bays had two guys in them and I'm guessing pre-Covid, there would be some foursomes playing virtual golf. I may look into getting a lesson or two. 

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

2 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

@Woodridge...if I only posted things that people would want to read/care about, my post count would be around 4. Those would all be posts about Tanna Farms for BMan.

I still consider the circled area the 1st tee.

@Woodridge  Somewhere in the Rounds 1-3 threads, you'll know my apparent mistake. LMK when you figure it out.

image.png.31e05b7a728329c3bb483f9ae9e5ee0d.png

I

• Like 3

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I haven't played or even heard of Tanna Farms before this thread, but they aren't afraid to boast on their website.

Will do B-Man. I'm working my way through thread 1 currently.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

42 minutes ago, Woodridge said:

I haven't played or even heard of Tanna Farms before this thread, but they aren't afraid to boast on their website.

Will do B-Man. I'm working my way through thread 1 currently.

This only occurred after the Triumvirate of DP4, VNutz and myself played out there. Once. They're still using our wide influence to bring in mula.

• Like 1

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

IF anyone would like to vote for TXG to open a location in chicago, you can vote here:

• Like 1

TM TP5x

Well, I made it through Version 1 of this thread and I believe the secret word would be Danielle...Version 2 which has 379 pages which should keep me busy for a while.

On another random golf note, I was trying to remember where I made my longest shot from and can no longer recall the golf course. It was an 8 iron from 128 yards in 1985. I can still see the shot, but the course escapes me. So, that's spurred me to make an Excel doc of all the golf courses I've played and I still can't recall. For the record, I'm at 88 courses at the moment. More than half are in MN where I lived until 1995.

88 pales in comparison to some of you guys though.

• Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

2 hours ago, Woodridge said:

Well, I made it through Version 1 of this thread and I believe the secret word would be Danielle...Version 2 which has 379 pages which should keep me busy for a while.

On another random golf note, I was trying to remember where I made my longest shot from and can no longer recall the golf course. It was an 8 iron from 128 yards in 1985. I can still see the shot, but the course escapes me. So, that's spurred me to make an Excel doc of all the golf courses I've played and I still can't recall. For the record, I'm at 88 courses at the moment. More than half are in MN where I lived until 1995.

88 pales in comparison to some of you guys though.

Seriously, Danielle.  Now that's a story. One of the Chicago guys who used to post here quite a bit has a very interesting story on Danielle. She was a lot of fun at The Highlands. She put the Art in Cart Girl. Knew how to do it right.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Seriously, Danielle.  Now that's a story. One of the Chicago guys who used to post here quite a bit has a very interesting story on Danielle. She was a lot of fun at The Highlands. She put the Art in Cart Girl. Knew how to do it right.

This must be before my time, I started posting 3-4 years ago and have never heard of Danielle!

5 hours ago, mci711 said:

This must be before my time, I started posting 3-4 years ago and have never heard of Danielle!

Danielle was the beverage cart girl for a few years at HoE. As friendly as the day is long and she never met a guy she wouldn't hug. Attractive, but a very, very outgoing personality that added to her attractiveness. Very good at remembering names or she saw bag tags or something.  Will go out on a limb and suggest that she made more money than any public course BCG, on the course.

Really hoping that the person who knew her best chimes in as it's his "story" to tell.  

• Like 1

I know this isn't BST... but I have two brand new LEFTY Vokey tour chrome SM7 wedges. 56* & 60*. Decided I'm going to grab a trio of SM8 wedges so I'm going to return these. Will sell for what I paid: $130 for the 56* and $85 for the 60*. Just trying to avoid shipping costs...

I'm in Glen Ellyn and willing to meet within 20min or so. 

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

On 1/13/2021 at 11:29 AM, Woodridge said:

Prairie Bluff

Cantigney

Morris CC

Naperbrook

Favorite non IL courses

White Bear Yacht Club

Vail Golf Club

Hazeltine

Golden Valley CC

Hey, I’m also a member at MCC. I joined when they bought Nettle, because I had to if I wanted to play there. 😕

As memberships go, it’s a good value.  I’ve never liked the Morris course because they keep US Open conditions to try to offset the short yardage.  But today all of the strong young players only have a flip wedge to every hole so why not ease up on the rest of us?  That’ll never happen.  Now that they are speeding up the huge greens at Nettle, they’re taking the fun out of it too.  

My favorite is Cinder Ridge.  It has mellowed over time into the right balance of challenge, shot making, and fun. The amateur owner did a very good job designing it IMO.  It’s a good value too.  But at 78 or so, he’s not going to live forever, and I expect that sooner or later it will be plowed under to become warehouses.  That will be a very sad day for golf in this area.  🥺

I’m also fond of Heritage Bluffs.  At least it won’t be going anywhere.

• Like 2

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

49 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

Hey, I’m also a member at MCC. I joined when they bought Nettle, because I had to if I wanted to play there. 😕

As memberships go, it’s a good value.  I’ve never liked the Morris course because they keep US Open conditions to try to offset the short yardage.  But today all of the strong young players only have a flip wedge to every hole so why not ease up on the rest of us?  That’ll never happen.  Now that they are speeding up the huge greens at Nettle, they’re taking the fun out of it too.  

My favorite is Cinder Ridge.  It has mellowed over time into the right balance of challenge, shot making, and fun. The amateur owner did a very good job designing it IMO.  It’s a good value too.  But at 78 or so, he’s not going to live forever, and I expect that sooner or later it will be plowed under to become warehouses.  That will be a very sad day for golf in this area.  🥺

I’m also fond of Heritage Bluffs.  At least it won’t be going anywhere.

Hullo fellow member!

Good points about both Morris and Nettle. I'm not one of the long bombers that you reference, so I completely get your point. I 5 putted one of the holes because my 1st putt went off the green. Some of the pin placements on Morris can be brutal. As far as Nettle goes, I've made as many 8's on the 11th hole as I've made 4's. That hole has ruined many a good round for me. 

I haven't played Cinder, but that would be too bad if it was lost. I like Heritage Bluffs as well.

• Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

I was working in the Orland Park area today and drove past Palos CC. Looks to be a little 9 holer. I was wondering if anyone's played it? I also drove by Palos Golf store. I didn't have time to stop, but it's rare to see independent golf stores these days. I thought I'd stop back and wondered if anyone had been there.

I carved out an hour tomorrow for the Mistwood dome. Looking forward to working on a few things.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

My old company purchases equipment for the summer golf outing from Palos Golf. Great customer service. I stopped in one time and the place was packed. Seems to be quite popular with the locals.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

11 hours ago, Woodridge said:

I was working in the Orland Park area today and drove past Palos CC. Looks to be a little 9 holer. I was wondering if anyone's played it? I also drove by Palos Golf store. I didn't have time to stop, but it's rare to see independent golf stores these days. I thought I'd stop back and wondered if anyone had been there.

I carved out an hour tomorrow for the Mistwood dome. Looking forward to working on a few things.

Ah Palos CC...a story to share.  It used to be 27 holes before they sold off most of the property for residential development. When living in Denver, I was invited to play in an employee event with a college friend who worked at Amoco (which became BP, that's how old this story goes back). About 200 players, no shotgun or split tee start so you can imagine how drunk the first groups were before the last group finished.

Anyhoo, played with a set of borrowed Dunlap clubs. They had a huge amount of offset. When you registered, you told them what your handicap was and I was playing off a 12 that day, although I guess I could have said whatever. Shot a gross 71 which turned into a net 59. Just one of those rare net days. Amoco went all out with the dinner, free drinks and the prizes were amazing.  Well, most of them were. Sets of clubs, drivers, putters, balls, gift certificates, you name it.

As they are announcing the low gross and low net, I'm anxious with anticipation thinking about that score, wondering if it would hold up and what I'm about to win. Sure enough, the "net" 59 held up and to a bunch of cat calls, boos and hisses as I wasn't an Amoco employee, I proudly went to the dias to accept my award as the Net Champion golfer. Titleist irons, um no. $500 gift certificate, fat chance. Trip to Hawaii, that's dreaming.  No...nothing like that, or even close. As the low net in the tournament, I won a plastic, battery operated golf ball clock.  Talk about the wind dying out of the sails. The clock never worked at all but now proudly sits in my office at home as a reminder of how one of the best "tournament" rounds of my life was rewarded with a non-working, plastic freaking clock.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Ah Palos CC...a story to share.  It used to be 27 holes before they sold off most of the property for residential development. When living in Denver, I was invited to play in an employee event with a college friend who worked at Amoco (which became BP, that's how old this story goes back). About 200 players, no shotgun or split tee start so you can imagine how drunk the first groups were before the last group finished.

Anyhoo, played with a set of borrowed Dunlap clubs. They had a huge amount of offset. When you registered, you told them what your handicap was and I was playing off a 12 that day, although I guess I could have said whatever. Shot a gross 71 which turned into a net 59. Just one of those rare net days. Amoco went all out with the dinner, free drinks and the prizes were amazing.  Well, most of them were. Sets of clubs, drivers, putters, balls, gift certificates, you name it.

As they are announcing the low gross and low net, I'm anxious with anticipation thinking about that score, wondering if it would hold up and what I'm about to win. Sure enough, the "net" 59 held up and to a bunch of cat calls, boos and hisses as I wasn't an Amoco employee, I proudly went to the dias to accept my award as the Net Champion golfer. Titleist irons, um no. $500 gift certificate, fat chance. Trip to Hawaii, that's dreaming.  No...nothing like that, or even close. As the low net in the tournament, I won a plastic, battery operated golf ball clock.  Talk about the wind dying out of the sails. The clock never worked at all but now proudly sits in my office at home as a reminder of how one of the best "tournament" rounds of my life was rewarded with a non-working, plastic freaking clock.

That is a great story! And keeping the clock as a reminder is classic. Did they draw names for the 'big prizes' and where did your 71 rank for low gross? 

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

16 hours ago, Woodridge said:

That is a great story! And keeping the clock as a reminder is classic. Did they draw names for the 'big prizes' and where did your 71 rank for low gross? 

Thanks. I look at the clock now and laugh. Most of the prizes were raffled off but I think the low gross, who shot something like 65, won the trip to Hawaii.  Don't remember where I finished gross but it was probably top 10. 

• Like 1

That makes some sense about the raffle.  My favorite raffle story involved a trade show. Most companies have prizes for customers stopping by their trade show booth and dropping off a business card. In most cases, it's gift cards or other inexpensive items. In this case, the prize was a Rolex watch. God knows why, but the owner wanted to make a big splash. The trade show ended and the drawing was held. The "winner" was a customer that did a couple thousand dollars per year with the company. No one was around, so the owner decided to re-draw and this time, the winner was one of their largest customers. Go figure...

On a golf note, I signed up for a lesson at the Mistwood dome with John Platt for next week. Looking forward to it.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

1 hour ago, Woodridge said:

That makes some sense about the raffle.  My favorite raffle story involved a trade show. Most companies have prizes for customers stopping by their trade show booth and dropping off a business card. In most cases, it's gift cards or other inexpensive items. In this case, the prize was a Rolex watch. God knows why, but the owner wanted to make a big splash. The trade show ended and the drawing was held. The "winner" was a customer that did a couple thousand dollars per year with the company. No one was around, so the owner decided to re-draw and this time, the winner was one of their largest customers. Go figure...

On a golf note, I signed up for a lesson at the Mistwood dome with John Platt for next week. Looking forward to it.

John Platt is good and who my wife and I worked with in the past. Have fun. 

• Like 1

I had my first lesson today with John Platt at the Mistwood golf dome. As others have said, he's a really good guy and a good instructor. It was interesting seeing my swing on video in a different format other than an Iphone video. I'm sure the camera adds 40 lbs....

Thanks to those who recommended John in their comments. 

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

If I live in Wilmette, is there a course besides WGC that has a reasonable unlimited weekday membership I should look at?  I’m tired of Wilmette, need to shake things up this summer. 

Anything $2000 or less works great. Gotta save something for weekend rounds. I looked at Randall Oaks because of their practice facilities, but it’s 45 minutes each way. Driving 3 minutes to WGC has its advantages.