Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

5 hours ago, Shriner said:

Highland Woods on Saturday.   Super excited!  I decided a long time ago to play courses early in the year that have generally poor conditions throughout the year.  Produces lower expectations and less disappointment!  

Set your goals low and meet them.

Management 101

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Hogan BH-5, 4-PW
Vokey 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a great round today and broke 90 for the first time, with an 89. That one and a half footer on 18 was intense. No 7’s or 8’s on the scorecard, just steady golf 

Fitting process was better than expected. Very thorough.   Quick summary: - 2:00 appt for an hour. Costs $100 but that goes to the cost if you purchase a putter on the day. - Fitte

I'm probably the only board member to regularly play the Ziegfield Troy Par 3 course in Woodridge. My son and I try to get out at least once per month there. He's not an accomplished golfer so the Par

Posted Images

There are a lot of decent courses in the South suburbs but Bear wants to make one last visit to, of all places, Cardinal Creek. Last year I shot 73 and 70 at the Oakmont of Beecher but ol’ Bear didn’t fare so well and is hoping for a revenge round in what might be his last visit there. 

Mizuno ST200 10.5° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H2 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Matera FN

Coyote Run on Monday. $23 to walk ain't bad. Walking only I believe given that they don't have paved paths throughout the course. Drainage on the course is generally better than most. I don't expect soggy conditions. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

As I said, there are decent courses in the South suburbs. Cardinal Creek ain’t one of ‘em. I do a have soft spot for any course that has clear views of a Dollar General and a Casey’s General Store. The greens were actually pretty good. My game was not. I was very rigid and just not smooth. Im definitely still shaking off the winter rust. Since CC is easy, I had a birdie-free 76 but I need some range time to work some kinks out. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST200 10.5° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H2 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Matera FN

20 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

Hawk's View Saturday

Oak Grove Sunday 

I played horrible.  

Hopefully today's rust turns into tomorrow's patina.  

• Like 1

G425 LST 10.5 

G425 2 hybrid 15.5 

Apex-19 3 hybrid 20 

MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3 iron 

MP-20 MMC 4-P 

Y Grind 53

PM Grind 58

Scotty Golo 3

25 minutes ago, Silentbob6 said:

When you guys say blackstone, are you talking about blackstone in Marengo? 

Yes.

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

47 minutes ago, Silentbob6 said:

Cool. I didn’t know it was that popular of a course. I figured guys from the suburbs have way nicer courses. Not saying blackstone isn’t nice though. It’s tough and long 

Yeah, it's quite popular here in the forum. I'd say it's definitely a Top 10 in the area. The greens are usually as speedy as you're going to find locally. It's a bit of a hike, but worth the drive.

2 hours ago, Silentbob6 said:

Cool. I didn’t know it was that popular of a course. I figured guys from the suburbs have way nicer courses. Not saying blackstone isn’t nice though. It’s tough and long 

FWIW

It's in my top five, but it's also as far south as I'll drive.

G425 LST 10.5 

G425 2 hybrid 15.5 

Apex-19 3 hybrid 20 

MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3 iron 

MP-20 MMC 4-P 

Y Grind 53

PM Grind 58

Scotty Golo 3

39 minutes ago, St Jimmy said:

FWIW

It's in my top five, but it's also as far south as I'll drive.

I’d like to play there more often. I was going after work for twilight but only getting in nine holes cause it was so busy. I liked it better when the nines were switched. It’s a little to expensive for me on the weekends. I stick to the ridge 

Anybody else in SW burbs signing up for Ruffled Feathers (and Fresh Meadow/Tamarack) Arcis Prime (or Players) membership?  I signed up late last year and definitely got my money’s worth.   After taking few years “off” (read - went fishing instead of playing/practicing golf), I’m going to re-dedicate myself - at least that’s the plan.  One last push to try and get to the mystical “scratch” -  I just have to find (or lose?) give or take 4-5 strokes, preferably within 10 of the last 20 rounds played.  

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges.

10 hours ago, stasek said:

Anybody else in SW burbs signing up for Ruffled Feathers (and Fresh Meadow/Tamarack) Arcis Prime (or Players) membership?  I signed up late last year and definitely got my money’s worth.   After taking few years “off” (read - went fishing instead of playing/practicing golf), I’m going to re-dedicate myself - at least that’s the plan.  One last push to try and get to the mystical “scratch” -  I just have to find (or lose?) give or take 4-5 strokes, preferably within 10 of the last 20 rounds played.  

I used to be. I really enjoyed it. I would play the front 9 twice in the evening then as much as I could on the back on the 2nd go around. They were great about letting me go out after events which was awesome because I'd have the course to my self. I live on Seven Bridges (for 1 more week) so I joined their twilight program instead. But the Arcis membership was definitely a good deal. My only issue is with how busy courses were last year going out a few hours before sunset didn't guarantee much - 2 years ago would almost always be pushing 18, last year it was a jump around 9. 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Silentbob6 said:

I’d like to play there more often. I was going after work for twilight but only getting in nine holes cause it was so busy. I liked it better when the nines were switched. It’s a little to expensive for me on the weekends. I stick to the ridge 

If you don't mind 6 hour rounds on the weekend, Marengo Ridge is a great choice! 

• Like 2

I apologize because I know this doesn't fit in this thread -- so mods, please feel free to delete it if this isn't appropriate -- but I wanted to ask Chicago-area folks a couple quick questions without starting a new thread: 

1) Can you all recommend a good place where I could rent access to a Trackman for an hour or two? I have some new additions to my bag, and a couple more changes I'm thinking about making, and want to work out my current gapping a bit more precisely. (I'm coming from Oak Park, so in the city or in the western suburbs is ideal.) 

2) I'm also looking for a pro for a couple lessons -- somebody that would be willing to work with me on what I ask to work on (long irons/hybrids/fairway woods, fwiw), without trying to upsell me into a bigger package of lessons, etc. 

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

If you don't mind 6 hour rounds on the weekend, Marengo Ridge is a great choice! 

The Ridge is my go-to video gaming place in the greater Marengo area!

My first trip to the Ridge a few years back, we arrived at the clubhouse early, like 6:30 a.m. There's a guy inside just going crazy on the video poker machines. Until that point, I never actually witnessed someone playing video gaming inside a clubhouse before. So, it definitely stood out. And, good for him, God knows, Illinois needs the cash.

Also, LD got a hole-in-one at #11 that round. Quite the day!

• Like 2

Titleist TS3 10.5*
Titleist TS3 15*

Titleist TS3 19*, 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Mizuno T20 50*, 54*

Scratch FIT 58*
Piretti Cottonwood II

3 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

The Ridge is my go-to video gaming place in the greater Marengo area!

My first trip to the Ridge a few years back, we arrived at the clubhouse early, like 6:30 a.m. There's a guy inside just going crazy on the video poker machines. Until that point, I never actually witnessed someone playing video gaming inside a clubhouse before. So, it definitely stood out. And, good for him, God knows, Illinois needs the cash.

Also, LD got a hole-in-one at #11 that round. Quite the day!

That's priceless, on many fronts! What's your go to place in the LESSER Marengo area? 

33 minutes ago, eric61 said:

I apologize because I know this doesn't fit in this thread -- so mods, please feel free to delete it if this isn't appropriate -- but I wanted to ask Chicago-area folks a couple quick questions without starting a new thread: 

1) Can you all recommend a good place where I could rent access to a Trackman for an hour or two? I have some new additions to my bag, and a couple more changes I'm thinking about making, and want to work out my current gapping a bit more precisely. (I'm coming from Oak Park, so in the city or in the western suburbs is ideal.) 

2) I'm also looking for a pro for a couple lessons -- somebody that would be willing to work with me on what I ask to work on (long irons/hybrids/fairway woods, fwiw), without trying to upsell me into a bigger package of lessons, etc. 

Thanks!

You should be able to rent a bay at the PGA Tour Superstore in Downers.  As far as lessons, the team at Cantigny is really good and they'll listen to what you want to accomplish, focus on that, and they're not the ones to push anything on you.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

You should be able to rent a bay at the PGA Tour Superstore in Downers.  As far as lessons, the team at Cantigny is really good and they'll listen to what you want to accomplish, focus on that, and they're not the ones to push anything on you.

Awesome, I appreciate the tips -- will look into both right now.

A mostly pleasant morning at Coyote Run today. Cloudy at the start of the round, but the sun poked out a few holes later to warm things up nicely. The course is mostly dormant, but quite playable. Fairways were soft, but they were surprisingly letting carts out. Bunkers were in wonderful shape. Don't know when they added sand, but they were quite fluffy after bring freshly groomed. 'Very nice. The greens were very soft, but it looks like they had been cut. A little bumpy, and still rather slow, though. 'Probably 8 to 9. Pace was excellent. I got out early as a single, and never caught the two singles that were a few holes ahead of me.

For the love of god, can anyone fix a ball mark? I averaged 6 fixes per green. On one hole I fixed over a dozen. The course has only been open a few days, and the greens are already looking like the surface of the moon. People forget how to bend over during the winter layoff? Sheesh. Then there's the beaver pelt sized divot holes in the fairways. The divots are a few feet away. Too much work to walk a few yards and pick the things up? Conditions are quite soft, and the divots are easily replaced.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

Thanks!

I go to Golf Galaxy and rent Trackman. I don't think (I could be wrong) PGA SuperStore has trackman, I thought it was all Foresight, but they may have a bay with Trackman they use for lessons (downers location). 

Greg at Cantigny is great for lessons! My wife and I switched to him recently. She is really picky about who she works with ( she is a former d1 golfer/AJGA etc.) and we are set on using him. John Platt at Mistwood was good too. 

• Like 2

I played Cinder Ridge today. 90 degree rule.  For the time of year, conditions were excellent.  Could have played the ball down if I had wanted.  It was busy.

Edited by Snowman9000

M4 Driver D-type
sometimes 5W, sometimes 3 hybrid

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
58º Wedge
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

I played Morris CC this afternoon. No carts allowed until maybe next week. Since I have the feet of a 95 year old, I bounced around and only played 6 holes. Hardly a soul out there, I saw a total of 4 people on different parts of the course. I was able to play each hole with 2 balls and chip a bit around the greens. The course was soft, not mucky. The greens were what you'd expect for March. Depending on weather and schedule, I'm going to try to get out again later this week.

• Like 1

Ping 410 Plus 12*

Callaway X-Hot 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 4 hybrid, XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Taylormade P770 7-AW

Vokey SM6 M grind 56*

Mizuno Pro 60*

Black Lab BL-1