Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

Played Boone Creek yesterday due to the weather. Greens are sandy but rolled true and slow. Conditions are what you’d expect for March, grass just starting to grow. Was never in a bunker but they are hardpan.

Some how managed 5 good holes and 1 bad one. Round one in the books.

• Like 1
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a great round today and broke 90 for the first time, with an 89. That one and a half footer on 18 was intense. No 7’s or 8’s on the scorecard, just steady golf 

Hope everyone had the opportunity to sit down and share a plate of food with someone they cherish today. If not, remember those you miss with a kind thought or word. These times have stresse

I'm probably the only board member to regularly play the Ziegfield Troy Par 3 course in Woodridge. My son and I try to get out at least once per month there. He's not an accomplished golfer so the Par

Posted Images

On 3/22/2021 at 11:38 AM, Argonne69 said:

For the love of god, can anyone fix a ball mark?

we found the greens at SV had so many unhealed marks from winters dormancy that it looked like Monday morning after a busy weekend.

nothing's had much a chance to grow , though I'm sure everything will get to good condition.

rakes have returned to bunkers.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Hogan BH-5, 4-PW
Vokey 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

On 3/22/2021 at 10:48 AM, eric61 said:

I apologize because I know this doesn't fit in this thread -- so mods, please feel free to delete it if this isn't appropriate -- but I wanted to ask Chicago-area folks a couple quick questions without starting a new thread: 

1) Can you all recommend a good place where I could rent access to a Trackman for an hour or two? I have some new additions to my bag, and a couple more changes I'm thinking about making, and want to work out my current gapping a bit more precisely. (I'm coming from Oak Park, so in the city or in the western suburbs is ideal.) 

2) I'm also looking for a pro for a couple lessons -- somebody that would be willing to work with me on what I ask to work on (long irons/hybrids/fairway woods, fwiw), without trying to upsell me into a bigger package of lessons, etc. 

Thanks!

Check out Elevation Golf in Burr Ridge.  Mike has Foresight equipment in most bays there.  Great with lessons as well. 

• Like 1

Fun times on the range the other day at Oakbroook. Hitting downwind is always more fun. Played Sanctuary on Sunday. Glad to get out somewhere.

416339970_20210320rangesesh.jpg.8034add794c1e2732a8ba426e926099e.jpg

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Silver Lake North this past Sunday and Silver Lake South on Tuesday. Course was not bad for this time of year and they actually let carts out with no restrictions both days which was surprising. Greens were pretty hairy and slow but expected. Both Courses played identical condition wise. Courses are nothing special but very convenient for me for an after work round, I wonder what is going to happen with it being listed for sale recently. 

Titleist TS3 8.5 - Diamana W Series 

Titleist TS3 15 - Diamana W Series

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Srixon Z585 4-A - KBS C Taper Lite X

Titleist SM8 54 

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58

Taylormade Spider X Copper

TItleist ProV1X Left Dash

2 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

How did the new Bettinardi work out?

Made every last putt on every green!

Sanctuary's greens weren't a good indicator of anything Sunday. Other than that, much more comfortable standing over the ball and confident it is on the correct line. Made a total of 73 feet (ho-hum) of putts. 😉

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

A very pleasant morning at Glencoe. The winds were very light, and with temps in the mid 40's it was a nice day to walk 18. It's walking only at this point, so the place was deserted. I teed off as a single, played through a threesome a few holes later, and then had the course to myself. Other than the three, I saw only two other players on the course.

The course was greener than I expected. Fairways were soft, but mudballs were few. They trimmed a number of trees, and a couple more were on their sides, or gone completely. Without leaves on the trees it felt a little more wide open. Bunkers were wet, and needed grooming. The greens looked nice for March, and were rolling 9 I'd say. 

'Probably going to skip tomorrow. It's going to rain through the night, and the winds will be quite strong. With morning temps in the 30's I think it's going to be a mudfest.

• Like 4

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

On 3/24/2021 at 6:58 PM, B-Man said:

Made every last putt on every green!

Sanctuary's greens weren't a good indicator of anything Sunday. Other than that, much more comfortable standing over the ball and confident it is on the correct line. Made a total of 73 feet (ho-hum) of putts. 😉

Which Betti did you get? I feel like you may have said before. 

I just got my first two Bettinardi headcovers to start my collection a few weeks ago. 

On 3/26/2021 at 9:51 PM, klaw said:

They're letting you hit off grass at Oakbrook? 

Yeah. Grass only. It was just like Augusta out there. Under the pines. In the dead of winter.

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Village Links Spring Scramble this afternoon. Slight breeze out there already. Fresh.

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Our group opened our competitive season at St. Andrews yesterday. Turned out to be a really nice day with no rain, other than on the drive to the West Chicago home of golf.  Pretty typical spring conditions although they've apparently put new sand in nearly all the bunkers. Greens were a bit inconsistent but all in all, held fairly well. 

• Like 1

Bear and I played Inwood today in a wind tunnel. Cold northwest breeze + high 30’s temps = less than ideal playing conditions. But we both struck the ball well, especially on the back nine. Inwood punched their greens really late last Fall and they were almost recovered but still a little bumpy. The course was very green. A nice mix of natural green and green dye. 77. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST200 10.5° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H2 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Matera FN

That one time, you're 5 under after 6 holes in a 4-man scramble and shoot 5 under overall. Bugger!

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

As @DavePelz4 mentioned, first round of the season at St. Andrews Saturday. Aside from some gusting winds it was a perfect day to open the season. The forecasted rains must have scared everybody else away as the course was very open; our walking 3some cruised around pretty leisurely in about 3:30. Greens were sneaky quick IMO and rolled incredibly well for March. The 16th was a beast playing dead into the wind, no chance getting onto that par 4 in 2. Hadn't touched a club for more than 1 range session since January and was very happy to sneak out with a 78, having left many birdie opps out there on the front 9. And just like that my excitement for golf is back after a pretty dreadful end to 2020.

• Like 1

Yesterday - got out to Cog #3.  Course is in pretty rough shape, with greens rolling solid 5, maybe 6.   Pretty miserable day to play golf - unless you’re into low 40s with 2-3 club wind.  Game is definitely in mid season form -  few snap hooks sprinkled in between mostly solid shots.  Oh, let’s not forget the 5-6 3 putts.

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges.

On 3/24/2021 at 5:02 PM, ME27 said:

Silver Lake North this past Sunday and Silver Lake South on Tuesday. Course was not bad for this time of year and they actually let carts out with no restrictions both days which was surprising. Greens were pretty hairy and slow but expected. Both Courses played identical condition wise. Courses are nothing special but very convenient for me for an after work round, I wonder what is going to happen with it being listed for sale recently. 

I play Silver Lake weekly in the summer, killer twilight deals but the place is always packed.  I had no idea they were selling!  I hope there aren't too many changes.

12 minutes ago, woodbooger said:

I play Silver Lake weekly in the summer, killer twilight deals but the place is always packed.  I had no idea they were selling!  I hope there aren't too many changes.

Advertising it as a residential development so course would be torn down. Nothing likely to happen for at least two years though so enjoy it. 

https://patch.com/illinois/orlandpark/silver-lake-country-club-sale-housing-redevelopment-possible

Titleist SM8 54 

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58

Went out to Sandy Pines on Saturday. The weather looked sketchy in Chicagoland and looked much better out in Indiana. Sure enough we got rain on and off all round but nothing serious. On the drive back home it looked like my area got no rain at all lol. I enjoy Sandy Pines and apart from hole 6 being closed and hole 4 having a temporary green in the middle of the fairway the course was in good shape. Hole 7 has two greens so they made the back left green into a par 3 to make up for 6 being closed and hole 7 played to the right green. Hole 4 they just put a pin in the middle of the fairway and mowed the fairway tighter but there were divots everywhere and impossible to putt so take your par and move on. There were the slightest remnants from the greens being punched in the fall on a couple greens but nothing crazy. Im glad we got a hot deal on this round though because to pay full price like they were advertising minus the two holes wouldn't of been ideal. Ball striking was good and all in all not too bad for an early spring round. 

• Like 1

Titleist SM8 54 

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58

Palmira this morning. Only at Palmira would there be a frost delay but they still let me warm up on the grass range. The course is bright green down there. No more Winter dormancy, which is nice. Ball striking was pretty good and I’ve shaken off the Winter rust. I had a handful of good looks at birdie but couldn’t cash in. Burnt edges and lipped out putts all day. 75. 

• Like 1

Piretti Matera FN

I got out today for my first 18 of the year at Nettle Creek. It was very windy, gusts upwards 20 mph and higher as the round went on. Not many out there on a Monday afternoon. I played through a couple of singles on the 2nd and 3rd hole as I was in a cart and they were walking. I didn't catch up to another group until the back 9 and I just took my time until they were on the green putting before teeing off on the longer holes.

The course was in good shape considering it's still March. The greens had a lot of sand on them and were slowwwww. I could never convince myself to hit the putts hard enough. My golf was in a word....bad...Oh well., it was nice to play and I did hit a few good golf shots.

• Like 1

Ping 410 Plus 12*

Callaway X-Hot 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 4 hybrid, XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Taylormade P770 7-AW

Vokey SM6 M grind 56*

Mizuno Pro 60*

Black Lab BL-1

Why??? Did I decide to go out there today? 40mph gusts / two club winds / putts moving 

any other excuses I could use I would. Only good thing with this wind was almost driving the 10th green at Steeplechase.

Edited by taylorx300
  • Like 2
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Broken Arrow today. There were strong 20+ mph gusts throughout the round but it’s nice to play three days in a row. Spring Break is the best. Broken Arrow was pretty meh. The greens still had visible punch marks from last Fall and were rolling at maybe 8 or 8.5. The bunkers are never good there but they were total trash. Worse than Oak Grove. Just mud, leaves, and hard pan. Thankfully I stayed out of the traps, though I wouldn’t argue if someone said they were unplayable. The fairways and tee boxes were fine. I didn’t make any birdies but hit 12 greens, had no three putts and finished with a 75. 

• Like 1

Piretti Matera FN

Just trying to spread this around locally if there's any lefties around here. Good deal! Will personally deliver now too.

• Haha 1

[size=3]BOOM![/size]