Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

Redtail and Bowes Creek today. Not sure where all the other golfers were. Bear and I had both courses to ourselves. It was a little nippy at Redtail for round one and it felt like no matter what the wind was always either a nasty cross wind or right in our face. However, the course itself was the driest I’ve ever seen it and the greens were running at a legit 10.5. Usually, Redtail is a place to throw approach shots right at the flag sticks but not today. They’re hosting a women’s tournament tomorrow and if they actually roll their greens, they could have them going at 11 or 11.5. I didn’t think I’d ever say that about Redtail. Ball striking was a little off for me today but I made one birdie for a 77. 

Bowes was nice and it’s such an easy walk. Their flat rate to walk or ride really bugs me because it’s such a walkable course. The greens were on the slowish side compared to Redtail (again, didn’t think I’d be typing that) but they were smooth. My wedge game was very sharp but the driver kind of came and went. Bowes was also very dry so the game plan of taking a club less, flighting it under the breeze and having it roll close worked. 75. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7 Dual Balance

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

... It is pretty insane. After dealing with the 2 wettest May's in Chicago history and hoping to never see rain again (raining at night would be the dream) I am out here in Phoenix in a horrendous dro

Had a great round today and broke 90 for the first time, with an 89. That one and a half footer on 18 was intense. No 7’s or 8’s on the scorecard, just steady golf 

I'm probably the only board member to regularly play the Ziegfield Troy Par 3 course in Woodridge. My son and I try to get out at least once per month there. He's not an accomplished golfer so the Par

Posted Images

Two winters in Arizona has turned me into a marshmallow. Temps in the 30's with 15+ mph winds ain't going to do it. Might actually try to get out on Sunday. Monday is most certain, even if the winds are still 10+.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Two winters in Arizona has turned me into a marshmallow. Temps in the 30's with 15+ mph winds ain't going to do it. Might actually try to get out on Sunday. Monday is most certain, even if the winds are still 10+.

The one thing that is really nice at the minute is just how dry the courses are. I can't remember an early spring around here that has been this dry.  More like fall conditions, not spring. Cold and dry is significantly better than cold and wet.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TS3 15*

Titleist TS3 19*, 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Apparently Billy Casper Golf is now Indigo Golf. They're doing their own tee times for all their properties through a call center and I have to say making our group's 3 tee times for next Saturday was very, very easy.  In the transition all the old information didn't come over but it took about a minute to get set up and book the slots.  Let's hope the course maintenance is as good as the operations center.

On 3/30/2021 at 5:35 PM, ldchristopher said:

Broken Arrow today. There were strong 20+ mph gusts throughout the round but it’s nice to play three days in a row. Spring Break is the best. Broken Arrow was pretty meh. The greens still had visible punch marks from last Fall and were rolling at maybe 8 or 8.5. The bunkers are never good there but they were total trash. Worse than Oak Grove. Just mud, leaves, and hard pan. Thankfully I stayed out of the traps, though I wouldn’t argue if someone said they were unplayable. The fairways and tee boxes were fine. I didn’t make any birdies but hit 12 greens, had no three putts and finished with a 75. 

I used to use Broken Arrow as my 'home course'.  That being said, it's gotten a bit pricier these days than  years ago.  I think $47 with a cart there is pushing it.

6:30, a beautiful sunrise.

44 degrees with a three club wind in the wrong direction.

the course was dry and we got ourselves revv'ed up.

had a good day with driver and fairway shots. greens were fast and I should have been less aggressive.

benches and ball washers are back.

is it next week yet?

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Hogan BH-5, 4-PW
Vokey 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

Hills of Bartlett yesterday.  Lots of work being done in the clubhouse.  Can't remember seeing a course play this fast in very early April. On some boxes, it was difficult getting the tee in the ground because of the firmness. Greens need some work, especially they need to be rolled. On 10 after hitting driver 5h over the green, had about a 30 yard chip and got it inside 3 feet. Knew the putt was going to break hard right so started it at least a foot left and never touched the hole, ending on the low side.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, AndyC76 said:

Played Fox Lake CC yesterday.  That’ll be a one and done for me.  Didn’t like the layout or the price for the cow pasture it is.  
What was it like prior to the year or two it was closed?   This was my first time playing it as I wouldn’t  choose a cart only courses. 

I played it one time. I thought the layout was decent with a number of tough holes due to the elevation changes. The conditions were decent, but not award winning. 'Sounds like they're milking it until it can be converted to a subdivision.

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Am I dreaming? Is this really early April? Couldn't ask for a more gorgeous morning, especially given the conditions the past week or so. I don't normally play on the weekends, but with last week being so cold and/or windy, and the upcoming week looking quite wet, I decided to buck the weekend crowds, or what I thought would be crowds. I played Maple Meadows this morning, and conditions were quite good. Didn't someone mention a few weeks back that the snow cover would help keep the grass in good shape, leading to an early greening? The fairways were very soft, but they're greening up nicely. The greens looked excellent, but need to be cut. With the morning dew they were rolling 8 at most, and probably 9 by the end of the round. Bunkers were sandy, but could use a grooming. Most of the tall junk was either dead or cut down, so stray balls weren't as bad as peak season. Pace was very good. I went off with another single, and we played through two slower groups on the front before settling in behind a quick foursome for the final stretch. No complaints about the 3:45 pace.

Very nice day ballstriking with 9 fairways and 12 greens. I managed to not hit it in the water on par 5 8th (yeah!), and carded a sweet birdie on the 6th after knocking a 9 wood from the right rough to within 10 feet. Best, or should I say luckiest, shot of the day was my 2nd on the final hole. I blocked my drive right to within a foot of the penalty area, but I had a gap in the trees that I could punch a 7 iron. I missed the opening right, but somehow squeezed the ball through the 'V' in the right tree that couldn't have been more than 6 inches wide. I could hit 1000 golf balls and not get one through that opening. Lol.

Looks like a chance of a stray t-storm tomorrow, but I'll probably take a chance. I sat out last Monday due to the forecast, and the rain never came.

• Like 1

First round of the year today (not counting the 6 holes I played last weekend) and it felt good to get out. Weather was perfect and it felt great to get back out there. Didn’t play as bad as I though I would for the first time out in 4 months. Chipping was very bad, will need to get some practice in around the greens. 

• Like 1

Played Calumet Country Club and Ravisloe on Friday. Stay away from Calumet, the greens were rolling at a 3 maybe and looked like shag carpet. Looks like the maintenance crew hasnt been out there since last year. I know they arent pumping money into the place anymore but greens were honestly horrible and a few had major weed problems as well. Fairways and tee boxes were fine and traps were okay but greens were really bad. 

Ravisloe was in as good of condition as you can expect for this time of year. If youre in that area and looking for a round its a no brainer and head to Rav. 

• Like 2

Titleist TS3 8.5 - Diamana W Series 

Titleist TS3 15 - Diamana W Series

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Srixon Z585 4-A - KBS C Taper Lite X

Titleist SM8 54 

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58

Bettinardi BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1X Left Dash

Lovely morning at Wilmette. A few sprinkles on a couple of holes, but it passed quickly. The course is greening up nicely. Their fairways have always been a weird mixture of multiple strains of grass, so even though it's playable, you can get different lies. The rough was cut to a good length. Teeboxes were in the process of being aerated, but there was still plenty of turf to get good traction, and get a tee in the ground. Bunkers had plenty of sand, but need grooming after a weekend of play. The greens were aerated a few weeks ago, and are ~80% healed. They don't look pristine, but I didn't notice any appreciable wobble on the rolling putts. Speeds were quite good for this time of the year. I'd say 9. It looks like they lost a handful of large trees. The left side of the 3rd hole at ~130 yds out looks like two or three are missing. There were a number of temporary construction fences throughout the course. It looks like they're adding a few more sprinklers, and a few drains. Should help with the standing water in spots, e.g. the turf between the par 3 7th teebox and green. Pace was excellent. I went out as a single, and I could see numerous singles and twosomes out there, but they were moving quickly. Sub-three hour round.

I'll probably head back again tomorrow. $40 walking only rate isn't a bargain, but without carts the place is rather empty.

I had Big Run all to myself yesterday afternoon, literally. By the time I wrapped up there was one employee left, playing somewhere on the course. The shop and clubhouse were all locked up.

I love being out on that course, even though it usually kicks my butt. If I ever win one of those nine-figure lottery jackpots, I'm buying the place.

• Like 2
On 4/2/2021 at 1:49 PM, chrisf60526 said:

I used to use Broken Arrow as my 'home course'.  That being said, it's gotten a bit pricier these days than  years ago.  I think $47 with a cart there is pushing it.

Joliet park district is raising their rates this year as well. I want to say I paid $45 for 18 w/ a cart in mid-April at Woodruff. I've always liked having a short course close by to walk a late round now and then, but that's just too much money for a muni course that barely clears 6000 yards from the tips.

11 hours ago, PuttCurseRepeat said:

I had Big Run all to myself yesterday afternoon, literally. By the time I wrapped up there was one employee left, playing somewhere on the course. The shop and clubhouse were all locked up.

I love being out on that course, even though it usually kicks my butt. If I ever win one of those nine-figure lottery jackpots, I'm buying the place.

Such an underrated course in the southwest suburbs. It's long and has as much elevation change as any course you'll find nearby, even if they could stand to get rid of a few trees. Best of all though, it might have the best clubhouse vibes I've seen in quite some time. So much character in and around that course, it will always be on my short list of places I want to play.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, thepunch_out said:

Such an underrated course in the southwest suburbs. It's long and has as much elevation change as any course you'll find nearby, even if they could stand to get rid of a few trees. Best of all though, it might have the best clubhouse vibes I've seen in quite some time. So much character in and around that course, it will always be on my short list of places I want to play.

That course is always a blast. So many fun holes out there. You mentioned being the only one out there, and that's rarely the case as rounds are traditionally 5+ hours on the weekends unless you're off before 9am. 

The 9th hole to 10th hole combo is one of my favorites. The brute of a par 5 followed by the driveable par 4 is a great stretch. Plus the looming 13th that is 225 from the back, all carry is always something to look forward to. Would be a tremendous track if they put a little TLC in to it. 

• Like 3

I've had many nice experiences at Big Run and it's a sentimental favorite.

Last time I played was 10 years ago.

Part of that is due to kids and living further away now.

Buddy played last fall and said it was in terrible condition, like maintenance was stopped.

Rumors abound that the course is not long for this world.

Real Estate Development potentially, we'll see...

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

Another beautiful day, and another round at Wilmette. Obviously not a lot is going to change in 24 hours. They watered the greens, so they were only running 8 or so to start the round. The back was faster. The bunkers were groomed. Man, they were nice. Unfortunately I was in a few too many of them. Pace was less than 3 hours again with just a handful of twosomes and singles out there.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mci711 said:

Big Run should have been turned into houses as planned. Not really, I hate seeing courses closed, but that place is terrible. 

Boo!!!

5 hours ago, geochitown said:

I've had many nice experiences at Big Run and it's a sentimental favorite.

Last time I played was 10 years ago.

Part of that is due to kids and living further away now.

Buddy played last fall and said it was in terrible condition, like maintenance was stopped.

Rumors abound that the course is not long for this world.

Real Estate Development potentially, we'll see...

Admittedly, conditions are below average there, but I look past it as it is a helluva layout and they do keep the greens in good condition though I notice they always have trouble with the 13th green to the right of the big ridge separating the left and right half.

I heard there was a deal for the property, but it fell through after evaluation of the water situation. Apparently the creek valley bisecting the property would be an engineering nightmare to make it suitable for development.

I already have a master plan in my head for the course when my ticket comes in. It involves felling quite a few trees, obviously, as well as putting church pew bunkers between the 11th and 18th fairway and moving the 18th green down the hill, shortening the hole about 25 yards....

3 hours ago, chrisf60526 said:

The clubhouse at Big Run is like land of the lost.  I went into the locker room once and felt like I was transported to the 80s.  It does kinda feel like it's not long for this world....

The 80's? 😄 More like the 50's or 60's. I swore I bumped into Sam Snead heading into the locker room.

I forgot to mention that it appears that Wilmette is starting the process of installing crushed rock cart paths. There's a path along the right side of the 10th hole. I didn't notice any others yet. Glencoe is slowly doing the same thing. It looks like it's going to be a long process unless they kick it into high gear. Glencoe has been working on their paths for at least 3 years now. Not sure why they simply don't get on with it. They do lose a lot of revenue when it's wet and carts are a no-go. That said, as a walker I wouldn't mind if they took ten years to finish the work. Lol.

• Like 1

THanks, Arg.  Path right along OB right on 10?  Probably safer than between 10 and 18.

I love the short par 4's at Wilmette, and especially the tucked back tee box on the par 5 6th.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

... I can't think of a more polarizing course than Big Run. I would not play it for free because it seems like it was designed as a senior class engineering project. I always walk and I really don't like the BR walk. 

• Like 2

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 55R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15*  ... Tensei Raw Blue

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
Mizuno T-20 M Grind 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"
57 minutes ago, geochitown said:

THanks, Arg.  Path right along OB right on 10?  Probably safer than between 10 and 18.

I love the short par 4's at Wilmette, and especially the tucked back tee box on the par 5 6th.

Yeah, the cart path starts to the left of the 10th teebox, and then cuts in front of the teebox before turning towards the green along side the right side just off of the fairway. It's closer to the fairway than the OB stakes. There is a somewhat large mound ~75 yds from the teebox that they cut through to avoid having the path take a sharp rise and fall. I assume they'll have to install paving bricks inside the channel to avoid the channel walls from collapsing on the path. Near the 10th green it joins the original partial path right of the green, and then around the back of the hole to the 11th teebox.

Definitely a better spot for it than between the 10th and 18th.

I like the short 5th and the 15th. The 14th is fairly bland. The 8th isn't particularly long, so I'd like to see at least one of them lengthened. However, there's just no room.

The big issue with the 6th's teebox is the turf conditions. It doesn't get a lot of sunlight being so enclosed, so turf is thin most of the year. It was a pity that they removed the big willow tree on the corner of the dogleg. It ate a lot of golf balls, and really gave the hole some teeth. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Another lovely morning. Glenview Park GC today. $39 walking rate isn't too bad, as the course tends to get pricey during the summer. The course was in great shape. Can't say I've seen a course this green so early in the summer. Fairways were nice. The rough was cut to a good height. Bunkers were freshly groomed, although they could use another 1/2" of sand. The greens looked excellent. With the early morning dew they were rolling 8 or so. By the turn things had dried out, and they were easily 9, and possible 10.

The pace was fine at 2:50, but should have been a little quicker. I was in a foursome that was the first out today. I asked the starter if we could split into two twosomes, and he flat out said no. I saw only a couple of grounds crew out on the course during the round, so no idea why they wanted the lead groups to play slower than possible. Anyway, two in our group went ahead on the fourth hole, and we moved faster after that. I noticed that the group behind us had also split into two twosomes, so obviously we weren't the only ones interested in a quicker round.

• Like 2

Village Links of GE this morning for my first round of the year. Gorgeous morning, and had the first tee time of the day at 630am. Course was in really good shape for this time of the year. Wasn't in any traps, but my buddy said they were nice and soft. Greens were definitely slow, but sped up a little as the day went on.

• Like 2

Titleist TS2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist 818 H1 Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport