2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

10 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Ha, that's funny. I played Chick Evans yesterday. My first round at Chick Evans since 2013. Played with some friends that are the definition of Covid golfers. Guys who now play golf to a lack of other entertainment options. Good course for them.

Agree with your assessment of Chick Evans. I did the same. Plotted around the course, hitting mostly hybrid off the tee. Good opportunity to work on the wedge game. Greens were decent, but couldn't buy a birdie putt. And, I had six birdie chances inside 12 feet. Just awful. I own too many putters and rotate through them way too often.

2014 for me. I drove by the course early last Wednesday on my way to Glenview Park, and it looked quite empty. I figured a Monday morning would be just as empty, and I was right. The course was filling up as I left, but 8 am or earlier and it's not too bad. Yet.

Yeah, my putter was off and on, too. I couldn't buy a birdie putt, but I made 80% of my par saves.

Edited by Argonne69

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

5 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

That's my perspective too. Unfortunately, my putting stats in 2021 say differently.

Eh, I like to think you need extras around, just to keep 'em honest.

And it's way too early in the season to get serious about putting IMO. Some courses are rolling nice, others still coming in and bumpy, way too many variables in greens thus far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VNutz said:

Eh, I like to think you need extras around, just to keep 'em honest.

And it's way too early in the season to get serious about putting IMO. Some courses are rolling nice, others still coming in and bumpy, way too many variables in greens thus far.

No doubt. And, there's a better chance I add another putter than actually thin the herd, lol. 

If my putting still stinks come June, then it might be time for a putter intervention. 

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Played Odyssey in Tinley Park this past week and i gotta say the course was in as good of condition as ive seen it in the last few years, especially being early in the season. Not as nice as it was back in the day but much better than recent years. 

Also played The Meadows of Blue Island on Saturday since there was the threat of rain and we wanted to play somewhere cheap in case it poured. I'll just say the Meadows is the Meadows. Nothing new to report on this place lol.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

13 hours ago, ME27 said:

Played Odyssey in Tinley Park this past week and i gotta say the course was in as good of condition as ive seen it in the last few years, especially being early in the season. Not as nice as it was back in the day but much better than recent years. 

Also played The Meadows of Blue Island on Saturday since there was the threat of rain and we wanted to play somewhere cheap in case it poured. I'll just say the Meadows is the Meadows. Nothing new to report on this place lol.  

Lol. Yeah, Meadows is a good course when the weather is iffy, and you don't want to spend a fortune playing in slop. Fresh Meadows is another foul weather "gem". 

• Haha 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Brisk, but otherwise pleasant morning at The Preserve. Good day to walk. There was a 50 minute frost delay, but after the first group canceled, I was the first out as a single. Sweet. Having an open course to oneself never gets tiring. Well, other than the maintenance workers who were buzzing around like their hornet's nest got kicked.

The course is in great shape. Fairways, other than the 1st, are fine. The 1st hole continues to struggle with turf conditions in the 100 to 130 yd area. Bunkers looked nearly perfect after a recent grooming, but are 1/2" thin on sand. Greens looked excellent, but need to be rolled. A little bumpy, and rolling just shy of 9. Very playable however. 

'Reached the par 5 15th in two with the help of a generous tailwind, but with the pin in the back right the eagle was a dream. Nice birdie, though. Solid par on the 9th. A nice drive left me 225 to the back pin. I caught my 9 wood heavy, and left it 65 yds short. Stuck a half wedge to four feet to save par. 'Just a tough hole from start to finish.

Pop quiz: How many green steel bridges are on the property? Hint: It's more than Seven Bridges.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wolfhammer said:

Fresh Meadow is very near to my Father-In-Law's house. Is it worth going to?

No, it's not worth a trip. If you happen to be in the area, and weather conditions are mediocre, then it's not a bad place to knock a ball around primarily because it's cheap. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Brisk, but otherwise pleasant morning at The Preserve. Good day to walk. There was a 50 minute frost delay, but after the first group canceled, I was the first out as a single. Sweet. Having an open course to oneself never gets tiring. Well, other than the maintenance workers who were buzzing around like their hornet's nest got kicked.

The course is in great shape. Fairways, other than the 1st, are fine. The 1st hole continues to struggle with turf conditions in the 100 to 130 yd area. Bunkers looked nearly perfect after a recent grooming, but are 1/2" thin on sand. Greens looked excellent, but need to be rolled. A little bumpy, and rolling just shy of 9. Very playable however. 

'Reached the par 5 15th in two with the help of a generous tailwind, but with the pin in the back right the eagle was a dream. Nice birdie, though. Solid par on the 9th. A nice drive left me 225 to the back pin. I caught my 9 wood heavy, and left it 65 yds short. Stuck a half wedge to four feet to save par. 'Just a tough hole from start to finish.

Pop quiz: How many green steel bridges are on the property? Hint: It's more than Seven Bridges.

6 bridges

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

13 minutes ago, geochitown said:

6 bridges

Nope. Higher. 

I cheated and looked, see that it's 10. 

Think I was only thinking about those that crossed Salt Creek (and I missed one of those that aren't encountered when one plays the course (the one at the southwest corner).

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

7 hours ago, Wolfhammer said:

Fresh Meadow is very near to my Father-In-Law's house. Is it worth going to?

... A friend of mine used to be the assistant GM at Fresh Meadows so I played for free. That is the ONLY way I would play that course. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

11 hours ago, geochitown said:

I cheated and looked, see that it's 10. 

Think I was only thinking about those that crossed Salt Creek (and I missed one of those that aren't encountered when one plays the course (the one at the southwest corner).

It's actually a bit of a trick question. Yes, the correct answer is 10. There are 6 that cross Salt Creek, and 3 that cross the wetlands (9th tee to fairway, 11th tee to fairway, and 12th fairway to green). However, one of the bridges is not used by the golfers. It's a bridge over Salt Creek at the southern end of the property that used to be part of the original Oak Meadows layout I believe). There a path out there, and I'm not sure if it's a maintenance road or hiking trail.

18 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Looking forward to playing there with @jimwgt26on Sunday. Should be able to hit driver on 7-8 holes.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Played Blackstone yesterday with 2 retired guys from our group. Rough start to the morning temperature wise with the wind, it had to be in the very low 30's.  Fortunately that changed and it became a mostly nice day.

Guessing I've played Blackstone 50-75 times and have never seen the course play as firm. On 8 holes I had properly flight shots or little chips that landed on the front and rolled all the way through the green and off the back. On 2 I hit a nice high wedge that landed on the front 1/3rd of the green and went off the back. 

With that said, the course is in mid-season condition and is overall in excellent shape. The bunkers were immaculate and resplendent with sand which had been prepared that morning. Ironically, there were some ball washers out but no rakes.  I'm sure there's a strategy there.

Apparently McHenry County has said no masks needed as I was the only one wearing one.  Even though I'm fully vax'd, still wearing a mask out of respect for others.

Highlight of the day was after taking a quality triple bogey 6 on #8, smashing an angry drive on 9, smashing an angry 5W to the front edge and got up and down for a nice 4.  Hoping I can only remember that hole so I'll think it was a good round.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

It's actually a bit of a trick question. Yes, the correct answer is 10. There are 6 that cross Salt Creek, and 3 that cross the wetlands (9th tee to fairway, 11th tee to fairway, and 12th fairway to green). However, one of the bridges is not used by the golfers. It's a bridge over Salt Creek at the southern end of the property that used to be part of the original Oak Meadows layout I believe). There a path out there, and I'm not sure if it's a maintenance road or hiking trail.

The bridge that you are talking about is for cyclists/walkers as a nod to public non-golf use of "The Preserve"

TM TP5x

Finally pulled the trigger on  Arcis Prime membership at Ruffled Feathers.  Unless something drastic happens, I should really get my money’s worth.  I convinced 2 of my friends (one just starting out) to join, so even though I don’t mind playing quick 9 by myself or with strangers, having couple friends “convince” me to play last minute should only help.  After quick range session, all 3 of us teed off at 5:20pm, and got around front 9 quite leisurely in 1:20 (them riding, me carrying/walking).  Course is in very good shape, with an occasional bare spot here and there.

On a slightly different note, a bunch of younglings “convinced” me to take a trip with them (8 guys total) to Wisconsin. First week of June ->Blackwolf Run and Erin Hills, and if I can get out of work early enough (Friday) - The Bull.  First time playing any of these gems - should be fun!  

• Like 2

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

The old man and I are finally making a long awaited trip over to Arcadia in late May. We'll be staying for 2 nights and playing both courses. 

We're thinking about playing Tullymore or American Dunes on the way over. Any strong feelings on Tullymore and if it's worth a quick stopover round on the way to Arcadia?

Edited by AUTIGER07

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

2 hours ago, AUTIGER07 said:

The old man and I are finally making a long awaited trip over to Arcadia in late May. We'll be staying for 2 nights and playing both courses. 

We're thinking about playing Tullymore or American Dunes on the way over. Any strong feelings on Tullymore and if it's worth a quick stopover round on the way to Arcadia?

Personally I like Tullymore, certainly more than its sister course St Ives. However it doesn't seem to get a lot of love in these parts. Pilgrim's Run is another good option if you haven't played it. 

• Like 1

Another lovely Spring day. It was a little cool near the lake, but winds were light. Glencoe this morning. Course is in great shape. Fairways are lush. First time this season that I actually noticed buds on some of the trees. Bunkers were excellent after being recently groomed. Greens looked great, and were smooth. A little damp on the front, so maybe rolling 8. They dried by the back nine and were probably 9.5. Pace was fine. I played with another single and the groups ahead kept us on a nice 3 hour pace. 

Nice chip in for birdie on the par 3 15th after missing the green pin high left. Solid par on the long 10th after a solid 9 wood from 215 to within 20 ft. Number 10 is just a long hole, even downwind. 

• Like 1

for those that play the north suburbs, Sunset Valley is going to aerate their greens on 4-19.

they ought to be in pretty good shape by the following weekend.

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

I'm new to this board, so be gentle with me.  I was wondering if anyone has played any of the Galena courses lately?  I used to love playing The General, but haven't been out that way for 7 or 8 years.  I've seen some really poor reviews online, so I was hoping to see if anyone knew if the course wasn't as well run as it was in the past.  Thx

Got out a few time in the last couple of weeks since my back surgery last June.  I now feel terrible for making fun of Tiger when he would say things like his glutes aren't firing.  Sadly my days of playing in anything under 60 degrees is pretty much over.  The few rounds I played in the 50's haven't been fun, my body doesn't move the way I want it and I can't clear right leaving everything right or a snap hook when my hands fire through trying to make up for my body.  The plus side, no pain.

With that, the couple rounds I did get in when it was warmer  my game was great.   I look forward to some summer golf this year.  Maybe it's time to start looking south. 

• Sad 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Bowes Creek was in as good of condition for April as I've seen. Things are almost late summer firm. Greens rolling very smoothly due to the lack of ballmarks. 

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 50*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna