2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Great to hear about Bowes.  I think I'll try to head there next.

I played Bartlett Hills on Friday, second time ever for me.  I cannot fathom playing a Saturday or Sunday morning here.  It took us 4:45 minutes after waiting on two groups every tee box through 10.  We barely made it before darkness.  

What a combination of gorgeous holes and awful holes.  Hole 13 is so majestic from the tee.  Conditions were as expected for municipal course.  Bumpy greens made short putts tough, but overall for $39, I can't complain.   I wouldn't mind playing again but I imagine the rounds always take this long due to people searching for balls.  Nice place...

Until my short game straightens out, please refer to me as DavePelz7. More appropriate to the current environment.

Trekked to Huntley yesterday to have a go at Pinecrest.  Maybe it's just McHenry County but this is the fastest and firmest I've ever seen their greens. But the fairways were very plush and not playing fast at all making for a very interesting combination. Usually, reading greens and being able to judge speed is a strength but apparently I need need new glasses. As was the case at Blackstone, there were several holes where the ball hit the front of the green and went off the back edge.  

• Haha 2

Bear and I played Cinder Ridge yesterday morning. It was in better shape than I’ve ever seen Cinder in. Lots of sand in the traps and the greens were rolling smooth and even kinda sorta firm (about 9). The area in front of the 18th green that’s always soaked has been resodded and was very wet but the rest of the course was fairly firm. My game was really inconsistent. I had some stellar ball striking on the back but played like donkey on the last two holes. 78. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

our game yesterday was joined by a fellow who began to play only last year as a result of the pandemic.

very friendly and well versed in the courtesies.

family member got him into the game and helped him with gear, etc.

first time at SV and he was reading the greens really well.

welcome with our group anytime.

otherwise, hoping for a morning soon when winter clothes won't be required.

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Palmer course at Geneva National.  It's in great shape.  Greens were recently top dressed, but still ran fast.  Had no trouble holding them on full swings, but the 3/4 shots were rolling out pretty far.  I'm going back again next week before the rate hike.  

• Like 2

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

17 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Until my short game straightens out, please refer to me as DavePelz7. More appropriate to the current environment.

Trekked to Huntley yesterday to have a go at Pinecrest.  Maybe it's just McHenry County but this is the fastest and firmest I've ever seen their greens. But the fairways were very plush and not playing fast at all making for a very interesting combination. Usually, reading greens and being able to judge speed is a strength but apparently I need need new glasses. As was the case at Blackstone, there were several holes where the ball hit the front of the green and went off the back edge.  

Kinda tough holding a green if the ball doesn’t get higher than 2’ off the ground sir...I Kidd I Kidd  😬

• Like 1

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

Played Schaumburg the past 2 weeks, Player/Baer both times. It’s just a nice, well conditioned course thats easy to walk.

Love the new sand in the bunkers.

• Like 2

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

A mostly pleasant morning today, minus a few sprinkles on the closing holes. The winds were moderate for the most part, but there were a few strong gusts. I generally avoid George Dunne due to pace of play, but the tee sheet looked very open this morning, so I gave it a shot. 'Very glad I did. OK, I am officially spoiled at this point. Not sure if there was a group out ahead of me, but I teed off as a single and never saw anyone in front. A handful of groups 4+ holes behind me, but otherwise  it was me, the coyote, the deer, and the otter that scared the cr#p out of me near the right penalty area on the par 5 6th. Lol. I don't know how I'm going to deal with 4 hour rounds later in the season when I'm whizzing around now. My round did take 20 minutes longer than normal because I was busy repairing ballmarks on practically every green. Again. Sigh.

Conditions were generally good. Fairways had a few thin/bare spots, but nothing that significantly affected play. The rough had been cut to a good height. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of sand in the bunkers. The last few times I played here the bunkers were trash, even after the renovation a few years back. There was plenty of sand in the greenside bunkers, although it did need to be groomed after heavy weekend play. No biggie. They also appear to have edged the bunkers. The fairway bunkers weren't quite as nice, but still playable. The right fairway bunker on #10 was marked as GUR. I wouldn't be shocked if they let it grow in as they did on #16. The greens looked decent, but were rather slow. Maybe 8. 

Decent day driving the ball, but the iron play was iffy. Had a number of good scrambles though. Highlight of the day was driving the lake on the 18th. With a steady tailwind I pretty much took aim at the flag and barely carried the water. Didn't really help much as I still wasn't able to snag a birdie. They really need to expand the fairway bunker on the 18th. If you aim between the 150 stake and the bunker you can easily roll through the fairway and into the forest on the other side. The forest is not marked as a PA, so there's a very high risk of a lost ball or completely unplayable lie. The 17th was a beast today with the pin set 3 yards from the fringe in the back left. It felt like the Anchor Hole at Harborside, as there was practically no room to land the ball and get it to stick. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Playing Dunne when it is not busy is one of the treats of Chicagoland public golf. Rare, but always fun when it does happen.

When LD and I played Dunne back in December, they had a World War 1 style trench cutting across the 12th fairway in front of the green. Sounds like they finished that project. Good, since you never know at Dunne. The old bunkers on #16 were GUR for at least four seasons and the same thing is happening on #10. 

Edited by TheBear95
  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Played Bowes Creek yesterday.  A little tough to drop almost $90 for a mid-April round, but the course was in fantastic shape.  It played very firm and fast, much like conditions I'd love to see at Highlands.  I'm going to try to make it back later in the summer when my game is a bit more sharp, as I found myself playing for bogey on a number of holes, making sure I miss on the correct side of the hole and eliminating the big number.

It's been 6-7 years since I've played the course and the houses have really blown up since I've played.....it made me wonder if playing out there is getting a glimpse into Blackstone's future.

• Like 3

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

50 minutes ago, Gdane said:

Played Bowes Creek yesterday.  A little tough to drop almost $90 for a mid-April round, but the course was in fantastic shape.  It played very firm and fast, much like conditions I'd love to see at Highlands.  I'm going to try to make it back later in the summer when my game is a bit more sharp, as I found myself playing for bogey on a number of holes, making sure I miss on the correct side of the hole and eliminating the big number.

It's been 6-7 years since I've played the course and the houses have really blown up since I've played.....it made me wonder if playing out there is getting a glimpse into Blackstone's future.

Pretty much. But, I think the Blackstone development does a slightly better job at blending them in. Look at #4 now at Bowes. Blah. 

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Walked the front nine at Oak Grove today after work.  Chilly, breezy, and I had the place to myself.  A very strong breeze from the north allowed me to practically drive the tree on 6 and let me get home in two on nine.  I ended up with birdies on both and a third on 8.  Unfortunately the doubles on 2 and 3 kept me above par.  

I played all 18 on Saturday.  FYI, there's about 6 truckloads of fresh sand in the parking lot and they took down a few trees on 11 opening up the second shot quite a bit.  I guess there's a new super and he's been busy.  Worth the drive up for you city folk.  It's in good shape right now and I'll let you know when the sand actually gets in the bunkers.  

• Like 2

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

37 minutes ago, St Jimmy said:

Walked the front nine at Oak Grove today after work.  Chilly, breezy, and I had the place to myself.  A very strong breeze from the north allowed me to practically drive the tree on 6 and let me get home in two on nine.  I ended up with birdies on both and a third on 8.  Unfortunately the doubles on 2 and 3 kept me above par.  

I played all 18 on Saturday.  FYI, there's about 6 truckloads of fresh sand in the parking lot and they took down a few trees on 11 opening up the second shot quite a bit.  I guess there's a new super and he's been busy.  Worth the drive up for you city folk.  It's in good shape right now and I'll let you know when the sand actually gets in the bunkers.  

Holy Crap! Fresh sand and tree removal. Must be dreaming! Definitely keep us posted when that sand finally gets in the bunkers.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

22 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

A mostly pleasant morning today, minus a few sprinkles on the closing holes. The winds were moderate for the most part, but there were a few strong gusts. I generally avoid George Dunne due to pace of play, but the tee sheet looked very open this morning, so I gave it a shot. 'Very glad I did. OK, I am officially spoiled at this point. Not sure if there was a group out ahead of me, but I teed off as a single and never saw anyone in front. A handful of groups 4+ holes behind me, but otherwise  it was me, the coyote, the deer, and the otter that scared the cr#p out of me near the right penalty area on the par 5 6th. Lol. I don't know how I'm going to deal with 4 hour rounds later in the season when I'm whizzing around now. My round did take 20 minutes longer than normal because I was busy repairing ballmarks on practically every green. Again. Sigh.

Conditions were generally good. Fairways had a few thin/bare spots, but nothing that significantly affected play. The rough had been cut to a good height. I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of sand in the bunkers. The last few times I played here the bunkers were trash, even after the renovation a few years back. There was plenty of sand in the greenside bunkers, although it did need to be groomed after heavy weekend play. No biggie. They also appear to have edged the bunkers. The fairway bunkers weren't quite as nice, but still playable. The right fairway bunker on #10 was marked as GUR. I wouldn't be shocked if they let it grow in as they did on #16. The greens looked decent, but were rather slow. Maybe 8. 

Decent day driving the ball, but the iron play was iffy. Had a number of good scrambles though. Highlight of the day was driving the lake on the 18th. With a steady tailwind I pretty much took aim at the flag and barely carried the water. Didn't really help much as I still wasn't able to snag a birdie. They really need to expand the fairway bunker on the 18th. If you aim between the 150 stake and the bunker you can easily roll through the fairway and into the forest on the other side. The forest is not marked as a PA, so there's a very high risk of a lost ball or completely unplayable lie. The 17th was a beast today with the pin set 3 yards from the fringe in the back left. It felt like the Anchor Hole at Harborside, as there was practically no room to land the ball and get it to stick. 

Nice to hear Dunne is improving. The last two years the greens and fringe were burnt out and covered in weeds in the summer. Hopefully they maintain it this year. Always a nice round minus the five hours it takes to play it most days. 

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

16 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

Glad to hear that they're finally taking advantage of the amazing land resources that is Oak Grove. One of the best pieces of land for a golf course.  Is Golf Visions/Tim Miles still running the show there?

• Like 1

Played Mt Prospect Golf Club this weekend. Course was in beautiful condition, green everywhere, bunkers full and manicured, greens rolling nicely. Course was in such nice shape but the undulation of these green are just crazy and makes for some comical putts. Pace was slow and holes 1-4 were a logjam like usual and opened up a little after that. We probably could have finished quicker than 4:45 if the two women two groups in front of us stopped taking selfies on every green. 

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

TItleist ProV1

2 minutes ago, ME27 said:

Played Mt Prospect Golf Club this weekend. Course was in beautiful condition, green everywhere, bunkers full and manicured, greens rolling nicely. Course was in such nice shape but the undulation of these green are just crazy and makes for some comical putts. Pace was slow and holes 1-4 were a logjam like usual and opened up a little after that. We probably could have finished quicker than 4:45 if the two women two groups in front of us stopped taking selfies on every green. 

Most players wouldn't like to start on a par 3, but Mt Prospect should consider flipping the nines. The 2nd holes really bottles up.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

2 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Most players wouldn't like to start on a par 3, but Mt Prospect should consider flipping the nines. The 2nd holes really bottles up.

Yes 2-4 is always a long wait. 2 is number one handicap with water in play, then 3 is a short par 4 that is drivable so long hitters wait for the green to clear, and 4 is a long par 3 that takes more time to play than an average par 3. Starting on 10 would be a good idea but like you said a short par 3 to start the round probably isnt ideal for them.

• Like 1

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

TItleist ProV1

6 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Glad to hear that they're finally taking advantage of the amazing land resources that is Oak Grove. One of the best pieces of land for a golf course.  Is Golf Visions/Tim Miles still running the show there?

Yes, Tim is still there, but he told me there's a new "Super" 

I didn't ask anything further.

I walked the front nine again today.  Colder and a pretty lousy +9 score made it a little less enjoyable.  

I snapped a shot of the sand: 

edit- never mind.  It's not letting me post a picture.

Edited by St Jimmy

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Hang on. Are they spending actual money on Oak Grove? That’s something. Hopefully no giant boulders mixed into that sand they’re trucking in. Looking forward to seeing that this Spring and Summer. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

0.jpeg.87281b2dacb975ba1377d303baae74cc.jpeg

• Like 1

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

St. Andrews? The Road Hole?

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Preserve at 4pm today. Might be some roll out. Dalai Lama....

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

An unexpectedly pleasant morning today. With morning temps near freezing, I wasn't sure if it would warm up quick enough to get in a morning round. There was a 1+ hour frost delay at Wilmette, but I figured it was worth a shot. Apparently a few of the early groups canceled, so I was the first one out on the course with another single. We breezed around in 2:30. The winds were light, and the sun was warm, and my jacket came off after two holes. 'Nice.

Conditions were good. They must have run the sprinklers this morning to help with the frost, because it was wet in most areas. Fairways needs to be cut. Bunkers need grooming. Greens were only rolling 7 to 8. I imagine the crews haven't gotten out over the past few days.

No birdies today. Irons were a bit off. I was hitting greens, but never really gave myself a good look at birdie.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

I'm heading to Washington, IL tomorrow for the first of 2 days of Hickory golf. Tomorrow, we're at Hillcrest in the afternoon for 12 holes of feathery golf and 9 holes of with a gutty ball (limited flight). Then Saturday, we're at Metamora Fields in the morning for 18 holes of gutty. We play from shorter tee-boxes to accommodate how far the balls travel and use sand instead of wooden tees.  It's a great time. You just have to adjust your golf expectations a bit. Many people dress for the period, but that's not a must. There are always extra sets of clubs around for newcomers. Below are pictures of the feathery balls we use which are made by one of the group members, my irons and a group shot. Sorry for the late notice, anyone down in the area who is interested, please message me. We also have a fall outing.

featherie.jpg

new 'sticks'.JPG

hickory 2020 2.jpg

• Like 3

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Ruffled this afternoon. Teed off (as a foursome) at 5:20pm and managed to get 14 holes in, while waiting to hit almost every shot (albeit nothing head scratching).    Game was way off and stumbled to 7 over on front, only to shoot 2 under through 5 on the back🤦‍♂️.  Course was playing firm and fast, and greens were on the speedy side, as well. Saturday is the opening of our “league” - Cog #1 in the early afternoon.  

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Has anyone ever ‘lost’ their swing?

I had a nice nine holes last week, but besides that I’m playing like garbage.  

2 way miss with the driver, thin irons, fat wedges, occasional hosel rocket just for laughs.  I feel like Chuck Knoblauch. 

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

2 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

Has anyone ever ‘lost’ their swing?

I had a nice nine holes last week, but besides that I’m playing like garbage.  

2 way miss with the driver, thin irons, fat wedges, occasional hosel rocket just for laughs.  I feel like Chuck Knoblauch. 

Went through a stretch of that last summer/fall. Just made the game entirely unenjoyable to the point I picked up a club only twice between September and April. Game hasn't returned entirely but I have forgotten some of the issues I was dealing with. Best of luck.

• Like 1