Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Had a great round today and broke 90 for the first time, with an 89. That one and a half footer on 18 was intense. No 7’s or 8’s on the scorecard, just steady golf 

... It is pretty insane. After dealing with the 2 wettest May's in Chicago history and hoping to never see rain again (raining at night would be the dream) I am out here in Phoenix in a horrendous dro

I'm probably the only board member to regularly play the Ziegfield Troy Par 3 course in Woodridge. My son and I try to get out at least once per month there. He's not an accomplished golfer so the Par

Posted Images

2 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

Has anyone ever ‘lost’ their swing?

I had a nice nine holes last week, but besides that I’m playing like garbage.  

2 way miss with the driver, thin irons, fat wedges, occasional hosel rocket just for laughs.  I feel like Chuck Knoblauch. 

Went through a stretch of that last summer/fall. Just made the game entirely unenjoyable to the point I picked up a club only twice between September and April. Game hasn't returned entirely but I have forgotten some of the issues I was dealing with. Best of luck.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

2 way miss with the driver, thin irons, fat wedges, occasional hosel rocket just for laughs.  I feel like Chuck Knoblauch. 

Yes. I have gone through periods like this. I've had my handicap down to the 2/3 range then out of nowhere I look like I have never played golf. 1 small thing can change and mess everything up. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, VNutz said:

Went through a stretch of that last summer/fall. Just made the game entirely unenjoyable to the point I picked up a club only twice between September and April. Game hasn't returned entirely but I have forgotten some of the issues I was dealing with. Best of luck.

Thanks.  By no means was I a great player, but I could get around and not embarrass myself.  
I’m trying to have fun, but it’s getting frustrating.  

G425 LST 10.5 

G425 SFT 3 wood

Apex-21 3 hybrid 20 

PXG Gen 3 0311 P 4-6

PXG Gen 3 0311 T 7-G 

K Grind 55

PM Grind 60

Scotty Golo 3

At least you are not in my situation,  hit the ball well, know how to play, swing is fine...but have the yips on the putting green.  My hands twitch right before impact and there is no way to stop it.  Last round included a 4 putt from roughly 20 feet, it's bad.

You'll be fine as I think the swing comes and goes for any skill level, including professionals.

3 hours ago, St Jimmy said:

It's all relative, but yes, I've made a reliable habit of losing my swing. Through the last two months of last season and most of dome season I was striking the ball better than I ever had and I thought (once again) I have finally figured "it" out. Then my first three full rounds this year I racked up scores in the mid 90's, hitting rock bottom last Friday at Old Oak with >45 degree snap hooks off the tee and hosel rockets across 143rd street. 

I had a great range session last evening giving me hope that

I'm back on track, but it's kind of depressing knowing impending doom is just around the corner.

Swing definitely goes away at times. Hit a great 8 iron today to three feet for a nice birdie, and then proceeded to hit a hosel rocket with the same club on the following par 3 into the pond. Tough game. 

• Haha 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
Ping i200 6-P (2 Deg Weak) Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - True Temper X95 S300
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

Very nice morning out at Coyote Run. With light winds and plenty of sun it felt 10 degrees warmer. The course is in very nice shape. The fairways have a hint of brown. It looks like they're purposely trying to dry them out. I was getting some good rollout. The bunkers were freshly groomed. Very nice. The greens were also looking dried out (in a good way), and were rolling at least 10. Some of the downhill putts were quite dicey. 

Pace was great. I went out as a single behind a twosome, and they were moving along nicely, so no need to play through. 2:40. 

Very good day ballstriking, minus one costly shank. Ugh. Gotta continue working on my partial wedges. Distance control is really spotty, and what should be a good chance to stuff one close often turns out to be a lengthy birdie putt. Best shot of the day was my tee shot on the 18th. With a helping wind I just nutted it. I don't ever remember having a lob wedge into the green. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

My swing kind of ebbs and flows now that I’ve entered the “full time dad part time golfer” part of my life but my big issue is going long stretches of just not being able to put everything together. I’ll drive it great but shank short irons. My iron game will be sharp but I’ll top fairway woods and hit fat hybrids. I’ll chip great but forget how to putt. Weird game. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7 Dual Balance

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Long story short(ish). Don't remember for sure who it was but I believe it was Bob Murphy that said he was working too hard on his swing and decided to skip the practice rounds and just show up Thursday and play. He won that week so he did it again the next week playing some practice rounds but zero range time, and won again. He said he will never "work on his swing" again. The next Friday he was 10 strokes over the cut line and didn't even know how to start his backswing because everything felt off. He said it was then he realized we never own our golf swing, we just borrow it for short periods of time. 

this is where I am.  I’ll start a backswing with my driver and stop because I forgot how to do it! 
Everything feels wrong.  

It’s like the muscle memory left me. 

G425 LST 10.5 

G425 SFT 3 wood

Apex-21 3 hybrid 20 

PXG Gen 3 0311 P 4-6

PXG Gen 3 0311 T 7-G 

K Grind 55

PM Grind 60

Scotty Golo 3

1 hour ago, St Jimmy said:

this is where I am.  I’ll start a backswing with my driver and stop because I forgot how to do it! 
Everything feels wrong.  

Are you sure your "stop" isn't just you doing your best Hideki Matsuyama impersonation??

• Like 1

Titleist TS2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist 818 H1 Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

1 hour ago, St Jimmy said:

Everything feels wrong.  

Happens to me sometimes too. Like I'll make a move my body has never felt before. I've hit 10000s of balls, how am I still making new/bad moves!? 😂

• Like 2

This came up in my Photos as On This Day 4 years ago. One of us got left behind in the dust at Prairie Bluff. Can't remember who it was but his initials rhyme with DP4.

Screenshot_20210423-184511_Photos.jpg

Edited by B-Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

don't let the doubts get you down.

everyone has difficult streaks.

do something different.

whistle. wear red socks. put your tee behind the other ear.

play with an old club.

quit thinking.

keep swinging.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Hogan BH-5, 4-PW
Vokey 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

3 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

do something different.

play with an old club.

quit thinking.

keep swinging.

Quit thinking - that's the thing.

And I try to say to myself before every round "today you are just going to play easy, slow backswing, no fancy shots over big trees, no sand wedges off tight lies, avoid all the bunkers, lay up, hit away from the trees, ...". But of course i can never resist having a crack and the result is inevitable. Talk about a mind game.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

do something different.

play with an old club.

quit thinking.

keep swinging.

Going to take a few days away from the course.  Yard work, motorcycle, and kid's softball games to keep me occupied before getting back in full force by Wednesday.  

BUT, if I can't correct these issues by July, I'm giving all my stuff away and buying a bass boat.  

G425 LST 10.5 

G425 SFT 3 wood

Apex-21 3 hybrid 20 

PXG Gen 3 0311 P 4-6

PXG Gen 3 0311 T 7-G 

K Grind 55

PM Grind 60

Scotty Golo 3

If you plan on playing Cog #1 in the near future, do yourself a favor - DON’T.   What a chit show...   The greens have been aerated in the past week/2 weeks and are a clown show.  I’ve seen way too many 1-2’ putts missed to last a whole season or 2.  

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges.

We played Wedgewood today to close out Bear’s South and West Suburban courses he likely won’t get to very often anymore. The drought we’re going through is very noticeable given how insanely firm every course is. Wedgewood was no different. Tee to green the course is in excellent shape but the greens were inconsistent speed-wise. When anyplace punches as late as they did last fall, it needs a wet Spring to fully heal up. Well, that obviously hasn’t happened. Still a great value at $32. My grip was getting way too strong and driver was snapping so I just went to 3 wood off the tee and had no issues. One birdie on 5 and a lot of makeable looks (6, 11, 12, 13, 16, and 18) that I couldn’t get to drop. 76. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Scotty Cameron GoLo 7 Dual Balance

Our group played the third round in our season long competition at Randall Oaks on Saturday. Talk about a crappy forecast turning into a great day! As is the case with other courses, Randall is playing fast and the greens, which were punched, sanded and rolled probably 2 weeks ago were lightening quick.  Ironically, in spite of the conditions, our group collectively had it's highest average Stableford points in all our years of competition by more than 3 points. Randall, like many others, has taken out a lot of trees to make the course more playable and probably easiest to maintain.  Traps were probably the best we've seen so far although rakes still aren't present.

The next round is at Thunderhawk in a couple of weeks.  That's a new venue for our competition so it'll be interesting to see how the scoring goes.

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

So I had a good day for a change!

Ha! Good one. I vaguely remember you hit it to 6' on the 6th and the rest of us were all over 40' away. You made a great par though after we all holed bombs.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

'Doesn't get much better than this. Ravisloe this morning. Breezy conditions, but there are enough trees out there to keep it manageable. I teed off as a single, and as far as I could see there was just a single player on the course, and early-bird walking on the 8th fairway. So I basically had the course to myself. 'Not bad for $33. 

Conditions were very similar to Coyote Run. Fairways were a little brown, which was nice because the ball was getting some decent rollout. The rough was cut to a good height. Bunkers were groomed, and just a little wet. Almost ideal. Greens were brownish, and rolling at least 10. Downhill putts were knee-knockers. Since I last played the course in May '20 they've completed the new teebox on the 12th hole, making it a short par 5 (484 yds). The center fairway bunker is no longer in play for us mere mortals, but the bunkers that are 20-30 yds short of the green will now collect approaches. I wound up missing right and found myself with a tricky downhill lie on one of the mounds short/right of the green.

Lowlight of the day was the par 5 2nd. I had  65 yds to the back pin position for my 3rd, and hit a nice running half wedge that ran up 3 feet sort of the flag.....and proceeded to roll back to the front of the green. My putt missed a few inches to the right of the flag pin high........and then proceeded to roll back to the front of the green. Seriously, the need to stop using the back position on that hole.

Oh, and then there was the the two knuckleheads on the 10th hole entering the course. I was starting my backswing when I luckily caught movement in my peripheral. Knucklehead #1 entered the course without stopping at the stop sign that clearly states to watch for golfers teeing off on the 10th. After resetting I was about to swing when I caught Knucklehead #2 doing the same thing. Seriously, next time I'm just going to fire away. If you're too stupid to stop and look for golfers on the tee you deserve to have a golf ball smash your window.

The new 12th. Not a huge deal, but they really should move the sign on the forward teebox.

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 4

Anyone have any instructor recommendations in the SW/W burbs? Looking at the various instructors at Cog, Mistwood and Cantigny if anyone has experience with instructors there I would love to hear it. Additionally would love to know if anyone has worked with Jake Thurm in Hillside, he's a bit out of my price range but I'm in La Grange so he's close.

Really looking for a tune-up after a few years of on and off golf because of shoulder problems.

17 minutes ago, disk said:

Anyone have any instructor recommendations in the SW/W burbs? Looking at the various instructors at Cog, Mistwood and Cantigny if anyone has experience with instructors there I would love to hear it. Additionally would love to know if anyone has worked with Jake Thurm in Hillside, he's a bit out of my price range but I'm in La Grange so he's close.

Really looking for a tune-up after a few years of on and off golf because of shoulder problems.

I couldn't recommend Greg Baresel enough at Cantigny.  My wife and I both started working with him before we moved out of the area just recently. He is great and doesn't just preach one swing. John and Mistwood is good too, a little more old school I thought. Greg brings new ideas and drills in. He is the St Francis High School coach as well.  

• Like 1

I think I posted it up before, but Pine Meadow is not aerating this spring.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

I can't believe I'm saying this after the Noah's Ark springs of the past few years, but our area needs some rain. Especially in the north and northwest 'burbs. If the dry times continue and May gets hot, the courses are going to have their hands-full with their turf. Getting flashbacks to 2012 at the minute.

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TS3 15*

Titleist TS3 19*, 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Piretti Cottonwood II

33 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

I can't believe I'm saying this after the Noah's Ark springs of the past few years, but our area needs some rain. Especially in the north and northwest 'burbs. If the dry times continue and May gets hot, the courses are going to have their hands-full with their turf. Getting flashbacks to 2012 at the minute.

Maybe HoE will finally play as it should be. Firm and fast.