2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

34 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Our group played an event at Foxford on Saturday. After the 5 hour round with 3 groups on several tee boxes, I remembered why that drive is always dreaded. We chatted with the starter a bit and asked about the pace of play.  He literally said they don't think about it and because there are no rangers on the course, there's nothing they're going to do about it.

The greens were confusing to say the least.  The practice green rolled at a decently quick pace considering the moisture from the frost delay but out on the course some greens were fast and others, painfully slow. Not sure that anyone in our group made a putt over 10 feet which is sad. 

Definitely hit a once in a lifetime shot on Saturday, but not the "bring you back" kind.  On the par 3 14th playing from the golds, I tried to flight an iron into the wind but flighted it SO low that it hit a tee marker a few boxes up and came ricocheting back toward the tee box ending up in a place where they never intend you to play from. Whatever. Solid double and move on.

We going to Green Gardens this Saturday and I've been warned about not course shaming. The 115 slope and 69.5 CR (they're not a CDGA course) suggest a less than challenging course.  Anyone know if the range is on the property or is it across the street?

Which course are you playing at Green Garden? The Gold course isn't bad. 

The practice facility is on the same piece of property, but it has a separate entrance and parking lot 500 yds east of the main facility. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

As DP4 mentioned, Foxford was a bit of a disappointment this weekend. I usually enjoy that course, but felt a little underwhelmed this time. Greens were very firm, yet I could hardly make a mark with approaches. Clearly others in the past haven't had that issue as there were lots of unrepaired and poorly healing marks around. Their rate for the weekend is the same to walk as to ride, which I know it has not been in the past, but on weekdays it's not the same so it's basically a weekend cash grab. If you're going to be running full rate in May, could you please have a beverage cart out? The clubhouse is about 100 yards from the 1st and 10th tees, that's not an easy way to make a stop at the turn. Sand in the bunkers looked pretty fresh, but with lots of stones and rocks. I threw out a couple that were golf ball sized and larger. And random guys driving through against traffic, not rangers (as they don't have them) just dudes riding around that we had to stop for a few times as they cluelessly came up against us as we were teeing off.

• Like 3

I played Morris CC early this afternoon. I needed to get out with my hickory set as I'm playing in an event a week from Saturday at  Soangetaha Country Club in Galesburg. The less said about my game the better. Imagine setting aside your 460CC driver and using a 1960s size persimmon head and you get some of the idea of the challenge. Ironically, my short game probably let me down the most. Morris was in great shape and there was hardly anyone on the course other than the maintenance crew. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff D9 forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Which course are you playing at Green Garden? The Gold course isn't bad. 

The practice facility is on the same piece of property, but it has a separate entrance and parking lot 500 yds east of the main facility. 

We're on the gold, so I guess there's hope! Thanks for the heads up on the range.

29 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

We're on the gold, so I guess there's hope! Thanks for the heads up on the range.

The gold course isn't terrible. There's actually a few holes I really like on it. It is the blue course there that's the dog.

The tee shot on #18 will make you think. The par 5s are very scoreable.

Also, I'm not shocked at your experience at Foxford. What's in the water in Cary??? I find that Foxford's neighbor, Chalet Hills, suffers from similar issues. Prairie Isle is my go-to in that neck of the woods.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Yeah, the Gold course at Green Garden is decent. There’s a short par 5 with an island green, some good variety on the par 3’s, the greens are surprisingly okay, and, even though this isn’t an issue right now, it drains pretty well. Much better than the Blue course, which, as Bear said, is a dumper. You can go low there (hence the low rating/slope combo) but it’s not a total pushover. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

16 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

The gold course isn't terrible. There's actually a few holes I really like on it. It is the blue course there that's the dog.

The tee shot on #18 will make you think. The par 5s are very scoreable.

Also, I'm not shocked at your experience at Foxford. What's in the water in Cary??? I find that Foxford's neighbor, Chalet Hills, suffers from similar issues. Prairie Isle is my go-to in that neck of the woods.

Foxford is run by Golf Visions and has been for a few years.  GV also runs Oak Grove, Settler's Hill and a handful of other courses in the Chicago area.  I believe their "secret" is to cut staff and services in order to make a course more profitable.  That's why it was such a shock to hear that they invested in sand for Oak Grove.

I've written Tim Miles Sr. and Tim Miles Jr. several emails over the years and of course, no response.  

@Jimmy...has Oak Grove invested in range balls from this millenium yet?

• Like 1

A beautiful morning at The Preserve. Light winds, and bright sunshine (when the Sun wasn't ducking behind those few pesky clouds) made for an enjoyable walk. The course was a little damp. There was a frost delay until 8 am, so the melting frost added to the moisture. Fairways and fringes looked good, although there are a few dead spots out there, e.g. 1st fairway, 7th fringe. 'Not much rollout. Bunkers need grooming, as they're very compacted. Greens had a nice brown tinge, and were rolling at least 10 even with the dampness, and closer to 11 by the end of the round. No complaints there. The pace was once again excellent. I was the first out with another single. On the 7th tee he had to take a conference call, and told me to go ahead. Clear sailing on an empty course. Again. I definitely know I'm going to be suffering in a few weeks as more players start hitting the courses in the early hours.

Highlight of the day was my driver. After pulling my opening teeshot into the trees left, I didn't miss another fairway all day. 'Came close on the dreaded 9th, as they had the tee markers moved up. I hit a 7 wood, and still managed to get to the bunkers, although I got a nice kick left and it just missed the bunker. Lowlight of the day came on the 10th. Worst swing of the day, a complete fan, blocked the ball right into the junk. Double. Ugh. Otherwise the wedges were finally behaving themselves.

I did see a coyote in the wooded area between the 16th and 18th fairways. I assume he/she travels up and down the creek.

• Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

7 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Foxford is run by Golf Visions and has been for a few years.  GV also runs Oak Grove, Settler's Hill and a handful of other courses in the Chicago area.  I believe their "secret" is to cut staff and services in order to make a course more profitable.  That's why it was such a shock to hear that they invested in sand for Oak Grove.

I've written Tim Miles Sr. and Tim Miles Jr. several emails over the years and of course, no response.  

@Jimmy...has Oak Grove invested in range balls from this millenium yet?

Yes, they bought new range balls two years ago (yellow), but unfortunately they mixed them up with the old white ones.

So you get a mixture of horrible to bad balls to warm up with.  

It was a bit of a tease.  They handed me a full bucket of new yellow balls, then next week it was the mixture.

lol 

• Like 2

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Red 6s

G430 LST 3 wood Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood Ventus TR Red 8s 

Callaway Apex Pro 3 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0311 XP 5 PX LZ 6.5

0311 P 6 P LZ 6.5

0317 T  7-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  52, 56

PM Grind 60

Lab Link 1 

18 hours ago, cpeck12 said:

I know it's not Chicago, but 12 of us from Chicago are heading up to Michigan for some SWMI golf this weekend... playing 18 at Harbor Shores on the way up Thursday, 36 at The Ravines in Saugatuck Friday, then 36 at Hawkshead Links in South Haven Saturday ("tournament" round then scramble round for the 36 hole days).

Don’t forget about the time change.

• Like 2

Haven't had a chance to post so I'll combine my adventures of the last week and a half into one post. 

Balmoral Woods - Fairways were pretty good but greens had some weeds growing on a quite a few them and I don't know if they are trying to make some greens bigger or smaller on a bunch of holes because there is some really short fairway grass on the front side of a bunch of them which looks like its the green from the fairway but when you get to the green it is quite clearly not. Bizarre. Bunkers were not good with a lot very hard and compacted with rocks in them. Course is just so so but a couple interesting holes. 

Harborside - Played Port and Starboard for 36 last Friday during the 30-40 mph wind storm all day. I don't know why I put myself through that but the group really wanted to play that day. Id say Harborside is in its typical condition with greens, fairways, and bunkers all in good condition. The fescue areas were pretty fully grown in and if a ball goes in don't even waste your time. Other than the wind was a good day and an enjoyable experience. 

Prairie Bluff - Played here this past Saturday and I have to say this course was looking as good as I can remember seeing it. Everything was in very good condition. Fairways great shape, greens rolling nicely, and all the bunkers were all manicured that morning. Fescue areas were still pretty thin and not grown in yet so you can possibly get away with some wayward shots right now as they were easy to locate in there. Was able to pour in some birdies that day that led me to being one under going into 18 and of course bogey 18 after snapping a drive left and missing green with approach. Accomplished a new career high in GIR % that day at 83% with 15/18 greens hit and ended with an even par 72.

Bolingbrook Golf Club this afternoon. Hopefully its in as good of shape as it was last year when I played.  

• Like 3

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:40 PM, chisag said:

... Ha, I don’t know if you have spent time here in the “off season” but the winter folks have gone back home and with temps in the triple digits and climbing most courses will let you play anyway you want. Already Aguila has the first Twilight time wide open and my last 2 rounds booked at 2pm I played alone, something unheard of in winter. This is my first summer in Phoenix and it is starting to look like a ghost town. 

I'm in Phoenix and I've been noticing the past couple of weeks that the courses are considerably less crowded than they were at this time last year on weekdays (I play 3-4 weekdays plus weekends, so I know). I'm guessing a lot of people that were playing hooky while working from home last year are no longer in a position to do that now or the "COVID golf bubble" is slowly starting to deflate. It's still a b**** to get an early weekend morning tee time at a Phoenix muni, but pretty easy anywhere else now.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 1

I played the Jackson Park course the other day for the first time.  It was a fun course, I'd definitely play it again.  A great course to walk as well.  Pretty dead early on a Monday morning, felt like I had the place to myself and it was overall in decent shape, minus the bunkers.  Not sure I'd pay the $50 for a round and a cart there, but for a wide open course in decent shape it was worth the $30 to walk.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, woodbooger said:

I played the Jackson Park course the other day for the first time.  It was a fun course, I'd definitely play it again.  A great course to walk as well.  Pretty dead early on a Monday morning, felt like I had the place to myself and it was overall in decent shape, minus the bunkers.  Not sure I'd pay the $50 for a round and a cart there, but for a wide open course in decent shape it was worth the $30 to walk.

Given the (short) length of the course, the rating and slope are pretty low. However, I find it to be a tough test most days. The greens are small, and you can find yourself in the trees if you're a little offline. The long par 5 14th is a bear of a hole. The dogleg par 4 4th is a tough tee shot. The par 3 13th and 17th are tough, especially the 17th at 210 yds to a postage stamp green.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonneville85308 said:

I'm in Phoenix and I've been noticing the past couple of weeks that the courses are considerably less crowded than they were at this time last year on weekdays (I play 3-4 weekdays plus weekends, so I know). I'm guessing a lot of people that were playing hooky while working from home last year are no longer in a position to do that now or the "COVID golf bubble" is slowly starting to deflate. It's still a b**** to get an early weekend morning tee time at a Phoenix muni, but pretty easy anywhere else now.

... I hear ya. Fighting sunset during the winter if you didn't get the first 3 or 4 twilite times. As I said earlier this last week I had the first Aguila twilite time at 2pm and nobody in front or behind me. 2nd time I waited til 2:35 for someone to show up and play with. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

5 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Given the (short) length of the course, the rating and slope are pretty low. However, I find it to be a tough test most days. The greens are small, and you can find yourself in the trees if you're a little offline. The long par 5 14th is a bear of a hole. The dogleg par 4 4th is a tough tee shot. The par 3 13th and 17th are tough, especially the 17th at 210 yds to a postage stamp green.

I agree, it was tougher than I was expecting it to be.  Along with everything you said, there are some massive bunkers guarding several of the greens, and definitely a few well placed trees.  I look forward to playing again after getting a feel for the course.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, woodbooger said:

I agree, it was tougher than I was expecting it to be.  Along with everything you said, there are some massive bunkers guarding several of the greens, and definitely a few well placed trees.  I look forward to playing again after getting a feel for the course.

It would be nicer if it was a little cheaper, but at least the parking is free compared to Marovitz. Oh, and having something that resembles sand in the bunkers would be nice. The goose droppings can get very nasty in the fall. Drainage isn't bad, so a round after a moderate rain is still playable. I used to play it every week when I was living in the South Loop, and pace was never an issue until they brought in the electric carts. After that it slowed down some, but it's never as bad as Marovitz.

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

It would be nicer if it was a little cheaper, but at least the parking is free compared to Marovitz. Oh, and having something that resembles sand in the bunkers would be nice. The goose droppings can get very nasty in the fall. Drainage isn't bad, so a round after a moderate rain is still playable. I used to play it every week when I was living in the South Loop, and pace was never an issue until they brought in the electric carts. After that it slowed down some, but it's never as bad as Marovitz.

*Parking at Marovitz...$2. 

🤣

5 hours ago, psygolf said:

*Parking at Marovitz...$2. 

🤣

Where? Last time I was there the city meters were over $5 for three hours. 

I usually play two rounds when I'm there, so I need 4 to 5 hours of time on the parking meter. 

Edited by Argonne69

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Playing JP on Sunday. I've played it twice already this year and it's in pretty good shape. I agree about the price, but with the CPD card it's something like $27 or $28. 

• Like 1

First time playing the Saturday Classic at VL this weekend. Weather looks decent. Unfortunately, still waiting for my new irons ordered early February. Probably will get them the day after I shoot my best round in ages.

• Haha 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Ridiculous. An early morning round at Glenview Park was pushed back by a 2+ hour frost delay. It was 43 degrees when I pulled into the parking lot, so not sure why they were being overly cautious. It was 70 degrees when I finished. Luckily a few players left, so I was able to move up to the first group, and after an hour wait we cruised around in three hours. I'll play with those guys anytime. 

Course was in very nice shape. Fairways were lush, and a little wet. Bunkers were wet and compacted, and needed grooming. No idea why they were still in that condition days after the rain passed through. Greens looked good, but speed was inconsistent. Some greens were only rolling 8 to 9, while others were 9 to 10. 

No real highlights today. A few good holes, and a few poor shots. Putting was pretty bad, as I just couldn't adjust to the coin flip green speeds. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, B-Man said:

First time playing the Saturday Classic at VL this weekend. Weather looks decent. Unfortunately, still waiting for my new irons ordered early February. Probably will get them the day after I shoot my best round in ages.

The wait time for new equipment has basically killed my desire for new stuff. For example, I could probably use a new 54 degree wedge. However, I am not interested in waiting 6 weeks+ for one custom wedge. 

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

9 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

The wait time for new equipment has basically killed my desire for new stuff. For example, I could probably use a new 54 degree wedge. However, I am not interested in waiting 6 weeks+ for one custom wedge. 

... Amen. I ordered a 58* wedge from Mizuno in January. Only custom option was a Nippon 950GH shaft. It took 10 weeks for delivery and I missed the entire winter here in Phoenix. Mizuno is supposed to be one of the fastest at custom club delivery. I also ordered a new SIM2 Max and again the only upgrade was a "stock" Tensei Blue Raw in R-Flex when they only stock S-Flex in stores in the SIM but not the Max. They said normally 4-6 weeks but on the TM website I saw the Tensei BlueRaw is scheduled to be back in stock mid June which would make the delivery time frame closer to 10+ weeks. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Only found out a week ago the heads and shafts are ready but they had been waiting 4-5 weeks for the grips I ordered. FFS! Told them put whatever on and get 'er done.

• Sad 1

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

An early morning round at Glenview Park was pushed back by a 2+ hour frost delay.

we start at 5:30.

last Saturday we were halfway up the second fairway when the grounds crew stopped us. said there was frost up on the course. nothing we saw walking south, but the north and west sections were glazed.

we went back to the clubhouse, the staff apologized like crazy but the head superintendent ordered the stop.  

we waited until about 7:30 to go back to our marked points.

maybe this weekend will be OK as Friday's overnight calls for 50*

• Sad 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

25 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

we start at 5:30.

last Saturday we were halfway up the second fairway when the grounds crew stopped us. said there was frost up on the course. nothing we saw walking south, but the north and west sections were glazed.

we went back to the clubhouse, the staff apologized like crazy but the head superintendent ordered the stop.  

we waited until about 7:30 to go back to our marked points.

maybe this weekend will be OK as Friday's overnight calls for 50*

We had the same issue last Saturday at HOE.  2.5 hour frost delay.  Big time bummer.