Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

A splendid morning at Glencoe. 'Probably the nicest morning yet this Spring. Shorts weather. The course is still in great shape. Fairways were a little damp, probably because they ran the sprinklers early this morning. The rough was cut to a good height, and yet it was still thick and juicy. Bunkers were fine. Greens were rolling 10 or so. Pace was excellent. I joined a twosome, and the three of us made it around in 3:20. The groups in front of us were moving along nicely. 

Solid round today with a pair of birdies and four bogies. The game is so much more enjoyable when the wedges are cooperating. I had a few more good looks at birdie, but the putter was luke warm.

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

A lot of golfers with no etiquette. I was practicing putting tonight at Wedgewood and almost got hit by a ball. The guy airmailed the green and I hear the thud of the ball right near me. I look around because I can't figure where the ball came from. It turns out it was the group on the now 9th hole and they were under 100 yards from the hole. No "fore" and no apology afterward when he had to walk onto the putting green to get his ball.  I don't understand some people.

• Sad 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

52 minutes ago, Woodridge said:

A lot of golfers with no etiquette. I was practicing putting tonight at Wedgewood and almost got hit by a ball. The guy airmailed the green and I hear the thud of the ball right near me. I look around because I can't figure where the ball came from. It turns out it was the group on the now 9th hole and they were under 100 yards from the hole. No "fore" and no apology afterward when he had to walk onto the putting green to get his ball.  I don't understand some people.

... I was playing about a month ago and addressing my shot when I heard the thud of a ball hitting the ground and looked up just in time to turn my face and it hit me in the upper arm. About 1/2 second later I hear a weak "fore". Guy comes up in his cart and I say "In case you didn't know, you hit me and almost right in the head. Next time please yell FORE before the ball is gonna hit someone because I could have gotten out of the way". The guy says "Yea well if it hadn't hit you I would be 50 yds further down the fairway so we both lose".  No apology. We were just dumbfounded. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

That's amazing. I can't fathom someone actually making that comment. Kudos to you for calling him out.  I was going to say something to this guy, but nowadays you just don't know especially in Joliet. 

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

11 minutes ago, Woodridge said:

That's amazing. I can't fathom someone actually making that comment. Kudos to you for calling him out.  I was going to say something to this guy, but nowadays you just don't know especially in Joliet. 

... So true. It was a big black guy and I was playing with another black dude from Louisiana and told him the story. I had played with him several times and he is about 6' and 160lbs so he says "BIG Brotha huh?" and pulls out a Glock from his bag and holds it by his side and says he would have asked "you ready to apologize now mutha f*cka?"  I'm with you and it's a good reminder to keep your mouth shut on the golf course because you just never know. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... So true. It was a big black guy and I was playing with another black dude from Louisiana and told him the story. I had played with him several times and he is about 6' and 160lbs so he says "BIG Brotha huh?" and pulls out a Glock from his bag and holds it by his side and says he would have asked "you ready to apologize now mutha f*cka?"  I'm with you and it's a good reminder to keep your mouth shut on the golf course because you just never know. 

that's one of the top ten reasons why I play familiar courses.

at this point in life, it's the nutjobs you know.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

2 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

that's one of the top ten reasons why I play familiar courses.

at this point in life, it's the nutjobs you know.

... Yup, one of the reasons I am contemplating a private club for the first time in my life. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Woodridge said:

Similar situation at Glenview Park on Thursday. We were standing on the 11th tee when I heard a thump, and a ball bounced a few feet over my head. The knuckleheads on the 8th were trying to drive the green. I had no issue with that, but a little 'Fore!' would have been nice. Their group could see the ball heading in our direction. At least they came over an apologized, but I sternly reminded them of the necessity to shout a warning. I happen to like my teeth.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

@geochitown joined us this morning at SV.

the weather cooperated and we had a really good time.

he's wicked around the greens so we got a few lessons from him at no charge.

saw they were readying the new practice area for opening soon.

nice short game area plus a couple of full swing stations.

after a year with no range in the a.m. this will be a nice addition.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

52 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

@geochitown joined us this morning at SV.

the weather cooperated and we had a really good time.

he's wicked around the greens so we got a few lessons from him at no charge.

saw they were readying the new practice area for opening soon.

nice short game area plus a couple of full swing stations.

after a year with no range in the a.m. this will be a nice addition.

You're too kind.

Sunset Valley's renovation really impressed me.

@_the_crook is a real gentlemen and has a good thing going there

good sausage breakfast burrito post round (I recommend asking for two mini-cups of the green salsa!)

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

On 5/13/2021 at 10:42 AM, B-Man said:

First time playing the Saturday Classic at VL this weekend. Weather looks decent. Unfortunately, still waiting for my new irons ordered early February. Probably will get them the day after I shoot my best round in ages.

Looks like my new irons are coming in tomorrow!!!438876944_20210515_1852312.jpg.f4f2dc6a7268ec6a7996656eb263193f.jpg

• Like 2

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Broken Arrow South/North today. We were supposed to play South to East but they started sending groups off the East course. When I asked the lady in the pro shop what the deal was at the turn, she just said, “You’re both walking right? Wow. You play fast.” For the last time, carts don’t play faster, knowing how to play golf makes rounds go faster. Anyway, the North course was fine. The entire place was absolutely soaked, which is something Bear and I haven’t had to deal with this year. The greens were okay on South but had dozens of unrepaired marks on North. Bunkers were atrocious. My irons, putter and wedges were good while my driver, fairway woods and hybrid were aggravatingly inconsistent. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

About halfway through with rating the top 100 courses in IL and the nice part has been playing courses that we otherwise would not have played.  That came true yesterday for my first round at Cinder Ridge in Wilmington, IL.  I was blown away...

This may the only course in IL that rivals Oak Grove for scenery/ aesthetics.   Each hole was by itself and you stared out at woods/ nature/ water, etc.  The tee boxes and fairways were great for a course out that way.  The greens were awful,  it was like plinko with the punched greens.  There were patches where they have sodded.  OH well, I am willing to overlook that based on the enjoyability of the course.  Very challenging but very fair at the same time.  I thought some holes had unfair tee shots but looking back, there was a way to play the hole that was still reasonable.  Just an amazing course for whatever it was we paid...

• Like 4

Our group journeyed to The Garden of Green on Saturday for one of our competitive rounds.  Haven't played there in many, many years and had forgotten most things about the facility. Will give them huge kudos on a great practice area but for the love of all that is good, why ruin it with range balls that came from the Truman administration?

Of course, there has to be a story, right?  Our first tee time was at 10:36 and there were SIX groups on the tee at that time.  Apparently there was an outing of 44 people playing a 2 person scramble, but I'm not sure they got the concept of how a scramble works. Seeing that we were going to be seriously delayed, I went and politely talked to the guy in the pro shop. Knowing the answer, I asked him if there was a frost delay in the morning that pushed back times.  He gave me that look like your dog does when he/she moves it's head to one side and you know they're wondering what wrong with you.  So I told him there were the 6 groups on the tee in front of us.  He was genuinely disappointed and called to the starter who confirmed the 6 foursomes before us.  At that point, what's he really going to do anyway other than B the starter out for not pushing people.

We waited on 14 of the 18 holes and after starting about an hour late, finished in a solid 5:40. 

The course was in very good shape but I had a difficult time picking up the speed of the green. Despite the precipitation, the green never lost any speed and they were running really fast, but at least they held shots. 

Safe to say this isn't going to be an addition to our rota but just a one-time anomaly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

finished in a solid 5:40

the delay plus game time of that length was a true test of grace and inner peace.

when did you start drinking?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

12 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Our group journeyed to The Garden of Green on Saturday for one of our competitive rounds.  Haven't played there in many, many years and had forgotten most things about the facility. Will give them huge kudos on a great practice area but for the love of all that is good, why ruin it with range balls that came from the Truman administration?

Of course, there has to be a story, right?  Our first tee time was at 10:36 and there were SIX groups on the tee at that time.  Apparently there was an outing of 44 people playing a 2 person scramble, but I'm not sure they got the concept of how a scramble works. Seeing that we were going to be seriously delayed, I went and politely talked to the guy in the pro shop. Knowing the answer, I asked him if there was a frost delay in the morning that pushed back times.  He gave me that look like your dog does when he/she moves it's head to one side and you know they're wondering what wrong with you.  So I told him there were the 6 groups on the tee in front of us.  He was genuinely disappointed and called to the starter who confirmed the 6 foursomes before us.  At that point, what's he really going to do anyway other than B the starter out for not pushing people.

We waited on 14 of the 18 holes and after starting about an hour late, finished in a solid 5:40. 

The course was in very good shape but I had a difficult time picking up the speed of the green. Despite the precipitation, the green never lost any speed and they were running really fast, but at least they held shots. 

Safe to say this isn't going to be an addition to our rota but just a one-time anomaly.

Was that 5:40 from the point that you teed off, or your original tee time? Either way that's disgusting. Sheesh.

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Was that 5:40 from the point that you teed off, or your original tee time? Either way that's disgusting. Sheesh.

Oh it was 5:40 from when we teed off.  

@the crook, while I don't imbibe there are a few guys who do and they ran out early in the round.  Fortunately for them, they have both a beverage cart or two and a couple of other places on the course to address their "needs."

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

A mostly pleasant round this morning at Wilmette. I got lucky with the weather I guess, as the rain stayed south. I got to play with two senior ladies, one of whom is the club champion I believe. Both had solid games, and were wonderful company.

The course was in playable shape I guess. They were in the process of sanding fairways. No idea why. The 3rd hole was a sea of brown. The 4th was half brown. Luckily the other fairways were still relatively green (for now). Bunkers were wet. Greens were slow as I've seen them recently. 8 maybe? Couldn't get a ball to the hole unless I wacked it. Rough was thick enough.

Pace? I just don't get it. Ever get "The Look"? The foursome in front of the three of us took 30 minutes to play the first two holes. They were easily two holes behind by the 5th hole. We waited on every shot, and yet they never once looked like they'd let us pass. On the 8th green I walked over to them as they were walking off the 9th teebox and asked if we could play through at the turn. They looked at each other like I was speaking Latin. After a few mumbles they said "OK". It was clear sailing after that, and we were two holes ahead by the 12th. Why is it so difficult for a slower group to simply wave a faster group through on an empty course?

With slow greens it was nearly impossible to make a putt. The only highlight of the day was a hybrid on the 9th to two feet for my sole birdie of the day. Otherwise it was a nice walk.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

A mostly pleasant round this morning at Wilmette. I got lucky with the weather I guess, as the rain stayed south. I got to play with two senior ladies, one of whom is the club champion I believe. Both had solid games, and were wonderful company.

The course was in playable shape I guess. They were in the process of sanding fairways. No idea why. The 3rd hole was a sea of brown. The 4th was half brown. Luckily the other fairways were still relatively green (for now). Bunkers were wet. Greens were slow as I've seen them recently. 8 maybe? Couldn't get a ball to the hole unless I wacked it. Rough was thick enough.

Pace? I just don't get it. Ever get "The Look"? The foursome in front of the three of us took 30 minutes to play the first two holes. They were easily two holes behind by the 5th hole. We waited on every shot, and yet they never once looked like they'd let us pass. On the 8th green I walked over to them as they were walking off the 9th teebox and asked if we could play through at the turn. They looked at each other like I was speaking Latin. After a few mumbles they said "OK". It was clear sailing after that, and we were two holes ahead by the 12th. Why is it so difficult for a slower group to simply wave a faster group through on an empty course?

With slow greens it was nearly impossible to make a putt. The only highlight of the day was a hybrid on the 9th to two feet for my sole birdie of the day. Otherwise it was a nice walk.

Is "the look" actually them acting like they aren't looking and they never fully look in your direction because they know they are being d!cks? If so, yes, I've gotten that look quite a bit. 😂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Was this the look? 

What Makes Dogs Tilt Their Heads? | Mental Floss

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Was this the look? 

What Makes Dogs Tilt Their Heads? | Mental Floss

OMGosh, I cannot tell you how many times I've described the look as....

'If you've ever asked a Collie a question......'

Edited by @_the_crook
clarity
  • Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Just missed the bulk of rain today at Morris myself. It drizzled off and on for the first couple of holes before holding off the rest of the round. I had a 11:50 tee time, but my Dr's appt in Aurora got done sooner so I was an hour early. The tee was open so they let me start early. One guy was a couple holes ahead of me on the front 9 and I never did catch up. I played through a 4 some on 14, but that was it as far as traffic goes.

The golf course is in great shape especially the greens. Supposedly, we have a bunch of new members this year, but you would know it from the course conditions. I've played the last couple of weeks with my hickory clubs getting ready for a hickory tournament this weekend in Galesburg. If anyone has played Soangetaha Country Club, I'd love to know what you think as it's a new course for me and I won't be able to play a practice round.

My golf was so so. I finished with the same ball that I started with and had no 3 putts which is huge for me. On the downside, I had a 11 and a 10 on par 5's that I one putted. Having no penalty strokes and 1 putting, but still making an 11 and a 10 takes talent. Let's just say that only bringing a SW and a Putter from the cart can lead to some iffy shot selections. I had under 100 yards for my 4th shot in both cases after poor tee shots, but couldn't hit the green in either case. It got ugly from there. Throw in bunkers', bad lies and a couple of whiffs....there you go. I love hickory golf, but am sure looking forward to going back to my 460CC Ping after this weekend. The game is humbling enough for me. Below are my Ping and Tad Moore hickory driver.

drivers.jpg

• Like 3

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Ping 410 7 wood

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

9 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Highlight of the day was chipping in for birdie on the par 5 2nd after airmailing a wedge over the green.

Nice job.

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

A breezy and cloudy day, but otherwise quite pleasant. I decided to mix it up a little today, so I grabbed a "Hot Deal" at Harborside (Starboard). $69 plus tax is a little more than I'd like to pay, but it was reasonable compared to the $91 rack rate. Only my 2nd time walking the course. They really do need to cut some walking paths between the holes.

I've been playing Harborside since '05, and I don't recall seeing the fairways and teeboxes in such bad shape. It wasn't bad everywhere, but there are definitely some sketchy areas. Dandelions in the short grass? The rough was thick and wet, but a decent height. The tall grass was simply brutal. I know it would cost them a pretty penny, but they really need to mark the thick stuff as penalty areas. You have a better chance finding a ball hit into Lake Calumet than you do hitting it in that junk. My teeshot on the 6th hopped in a foot or so, and it was a goner. Bunkers were excellent. The money invested in the Better Billy Bunker system was worth every penny. Greens were firm, looked great, and were nice and speedy. I'd say 10 at least, and a few downhill putts were really moving. I don't normally comment on the cart paths, but goodness sake they're awful. In a few spots the asphalt has basically deteriorated into crushed rock. Pace was wonderful. I went off as a single, played through a slow moving twosome on the 4th hole, and had clear sailing the rest of the way. There were two twosomes riding ahead of me, but they were moving at a great pace.

My driver decided to take the morning off. Six fairways at Harborside? Ugh. I couldn't buy a short birdie putt, but I managed an 18 footer on the 14th, and a 36 footer on the 17th. Didn't quite cover for the four bogies and one double. Highlight of the day was my teeshot on the par 3 13th. It was playing 195 yds, and I hit a laser at the flag that looked like it missed hitting the pin by an inch or two. Made my heart stop. Wound up 12 feet behind the hole.

Best I could do trying to recreate the "iconic" pic on their website. 2x zoom on the 1st. 

spacer.png

I've seen a coyote on the course, but never a deer. 

spacer.png

In front of the 5th green. 

spacer.png

16th fairway. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Where was the deer encounter?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

14 minutes ago, geochitown said:

Where was the deer encounter?

Adjacent to the 8th tee box. The 2nd fairway is on the other side of the mound. A fair distance from the property line.