Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Aldeen on Saturday, first time there in at least 2 years. As have many other courses, they've taken a ton of trees out and improved the overall health of the course and making it even more visually appealing. Have probably played Aldeen 15-20 times and have never seen the greens play as fast as they did yesterday. and the pin positions be as tucked as they were.  Would guess they were rolling at least 12 if not 13 and if you were above the hole, you were a word that rhymes with ducked. Even with the recent rain, the course was dry overall, sans a few low spots.  The bunkers are in fine condition.  The rough was probably 2-3 inches and plush.  Lost 2 balls in the rough with drives that were just off the fairway.

WIth the weather and the body starting to warm up, the ball is going further, which isn't always a good thing. My short game continues to disappoint and I'm just giving away too many shots. Reached 9 in 2 and walked off with a solid double. 

My only issues was the pace.  2 groups in front was a 2 some who held up the 3 some in front of us and our group, too. We finished in 4:30 which really isn't terrible but considering the delay was the 2 some, that's not right.  We ended up on the tee box with the group in front of us on 7 holes, and Aldeen has a 10 minute gap in between times.

The restaurant/bar now has private owners and for the craft beer lovers that had a great selection. 

The highlight of the day was...um, there were no highlights. Heading to the Bolingbrook range today for some much needed short game work.

Edited by DavePelz4
  • Like 3

play started just before 7:00 and my pair hit at 7:10. there were a few instances of read, re-read, re-re-read here and there on some greens.

to their credit, they wrapped in under three hours.

320 yd drives are just so pretty.

are these guys Wrx'rs?

• Like 3

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Afternoon round at the Ravines today.  Came out all guns blazing going 3 under in the first 3 holes, and would have been 4 if I would have taken the flag out on 4 and closed the front out with another birdie on 9.  Sadly I had a bogey and a triple in the mix.  Back 9 I came in with 2 bogeys and a bunch of pars for a decent round.  I always forget how fun the course is.    The greens were brutal, not sure when they were punched but they still aren't healed and it's lot of guessing on longer puts.  No complaints tho for $57, I'd probably feel ripped if I paid much more than that.

Pace was decent until we hit 17.  Group in front of us insisted on waiting on the green to clear despite the fact that nobody in that group hit a single drive over 200 yards the previous 16 holes.  They all dumped shots into the trees and proceeded to spend the next 15 minutes to look and get up to the green.  

A beautiful day for golf.  

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Schaumburg on Wednesday and George Dunne on Friday. Hoping to maybe do a replay at GD...

Hope Ashley is still working the bev cart! 😬

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

I was in Wisconsin with my wife and daughter for Memorial Day weekend and got in a couple of rounds at Evergreen (North to South for both). I played a solo twilight yesterday and Bear joined me this morning. Evergreen isn’t very difficult but all three nines there have a couple of tough holes. It’s not a course that requires a lot of driver so I just hit 3 and 5 wood both days on all but a couple of holes. The greens there were very smooth. Not super fast but they had a decent pace and almost no marks. Yesterday I had four bogies and one birdie for a 75. Today I had five bogies and one bird for a 76. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Just wrote up a bit about the golf trip I took to North Carolina last week in the Carolinas section.  Paid about $150 total for 3 days of golf which included 5 holes on the inner banks Sound.   Comparing that to the $55 I dropped at Fox Run back in March is just disgusting.  Also almost embarrassed to admit that as about a 12 handicap that has played the game for almost 30 years, I finally found my first ever eagle at Tot Hill Farm. 

Non-golf highlight of the trip: 12 craft beers for $24 at Scotch Hall Preserve

IMG_0802.jpg.e5c08285036ac0878f4e79ddb918a8a5.jpg

Signature 17th hole at Scotch Hall Preserve

• Like 2

TaylorMade M2 9° Fujikuri Pro Stiff
Ping I3 2-PW Blue
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 52°
Cleveland 588 RTX Tour Satin 56°
Ping Karsten Ally i Putter

Got a round scheduled for Prairie Bluff on Saturday. Looking forward to getting back out there, not sure what it is but I do love that course.  I think it's one of the most overlooked courses in the area, especially for the money.  

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

5 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Got a round scheduled for Prairie Bluff on Saturday. Looking forward to getting back out there, not sure what it is but I do love that course.  I think it's one of the most overlooked courses in the area, especially for the money.  

What is there not to like about PB?  Great practice area, accommodating staff, single friendly, pace is always good, the layout is fun and the course is always in great condition.  And, you've got the prison to add to the esthetics.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

What is there not to like about PB?  Great practice area, accommodating staff, single friendly, pace is always good, the layout is fun and the course is always in great condition.  And, you've got the prison to add to the esthetics.

I played it once on a Sunday morning. Teed off 30 minutes behind schedule, and the round was over 5 hours. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

43 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

I guess it never seems to get much love, maybe kind of a forgotten gem. Nobody seems to talk bad about it, but nobody seems to bring it up as a great course in the area.  I worked with the Lunde's (they seem to run the show at PB) at Naperbrook back when I was in high school, always fun guys to work with and for. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Just now, Argonne69 said:

I played it once on a Sunday morning. Teed off 30 minutes behind schedule, and the round was over 5 hours. 

You seem to have worst luck than my group does with pace.  We generally end up behind that group that messes the course up for the day, probably because we hate playing early.  Like last week at Cog #2, we get behind the yahoo's who decide they want to wait for the green to clear on a hole they'd never get near even with a career drive.  I think only once at PB we had pace issues and the ranger took care of it fairly quick.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

7 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

You seem to have worst luck than my group does with pace.  We generally end up behind that group that messes the course up for the day, probably because we hate playing early.  Like last week at Cog #2, we get behind the yahoo's who decide they want to wait for the green to clear on a hole they'd never get near even with a career drive.  I think only once at PB we had pace issues and the ranger took care of it fairly quick.  

You used the most important word for keeping pace on target...ranger. We've probably played 20 courses so far this year and we've yet to see a ranger on any course.  Even starters are becoming rare.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

You used the most important word for keeping pace on target...ranger. We've probably played 20 courses so far this year and we've yet to see a ranger on any course.  Even starters are becoming rare.

It's becoming less and less. We had a group hitting into us at The Preserve several holes in a row on the front 9.   My buddy made a call to the pro shop after hole 7 and no ranger to be seen.  They did it again on hole 10 where the pin was on the far right of the green and they teed off when we got to the far left side..of course the moron hooked the shot and never yelled.  I knocked his ball back into the water and that seemed to do the trick to stop it.  I shouldn't have to do that to get somebody to stop doing something they shouldn't be doing to begin with, the course should be managing that. 

It's a far cry from how it was when I was younger and courses would make you let groups through, or make you move up a hole if you fell behind and take you off the course if you were a repeat offender.  

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

My pace of play story. I played Nettle Creek yesterday afternoon. I was a single stuck behind 3 or 4 groups all day. Never saw anyone behind me after the 1st hole until the 11th. A guy catches up to me on the par 3 12th and I ask if he wants to join me, but he waves me off....which is fine....Except, he was on my butt the next 6 holes. There was no place to go. When I'm in his position, I slow way down, play an extra ball or take a few extra putts on the greens. Not this guy...I'd be waiting on the tee for the group ahead to play their shots and he'd already be done with the hole. I finished the 14th hole, was walking off the green and he yelled at me from the fairway asking where the pin was at...Just odd. I was on the 18th tee waiting for the green to clear on the par 3 and he starts giving me a history lesson of the course. Says he played the front nine in 52 minutes that day....He didn't ask to play the last hole with me and I didn't offer.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

... This was my home course and knew everyone that worked there. All things considered, it was my favorite place to play. I always played twilite and rarely ran into a slow play problem. PB is one of the few courses that always has rangers patrolling the course but more often than not they are just looking for range balls. That said if there was some holes open in front of a slow group they would urge them to pick up the pace.

... I did have a very strange occurrence at PB when we played as a 2some and got behind a 4some with a 1.5 to 2 holes open in front of them on the back 9 and we asked to play through and they said "Absolutely not!" We were a little shocked and on 13 asked the ranger to tell them to let us through. He went and talked to them and came back saying nothing he could do because they were playing at a 3:50 minute pace and he could not force them to let us through if they were on time. He did say they seemed like real jerks. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

How many times do I have to remind rangers that there are two components to pace of play? One is the clock time, and the second is keeping up with the group ahead, and allowing faster groups to play through if there are open holes ahead. Sheesh. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

How many times do I have to remind rangers that there are two components to pace of play? One is the clock time, and the second is keeping up with the group ahead, and allowing faster groups to play through if there are open holes ahead. Sheesh. 

The ranger at Highlands of elgin didn't understand either of those Monday. Apparently because they were "on pace" it doesn't matter we were waiting all day long... With open holes in front of the group in front of us. 

seems to be a difference between a Ranger and some indifferent guy driving a cart with the flag attached.

in previous years I do recall being asked to re-position a time or two.

it wasn't any big deal then and it shouldn't be now.

one of the head fellows at Sportsman's used to say -

"they aren't renting the course, just some time on it."

Edited by @_the_crook
sp
  • Like 3

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Randall Oaks’ range closes at 5:30. Why? They said it takes too long to clean it up if they stay open late. It’s a very small range because half of it is always closed. If you have golfers just making the turn at 5:30, why close the range? Somebody is working until 8:30 or later anyway.

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

34 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Randall Oaks’ range closes at 5:30. Why? They said it takes too long to clean it up if they stay open late. It’s a very small range because half of it is always closed. If you have golfers just making the turn at 5:30, why close the range? Somebody is working until 8:30 or later anyway.

People hardly have time to get home and eat dinner before the range is closing. They're missing out on all the new golfers coming out to hit balls.

• Like 1

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

played st. andrews #2 after work today. there was nobody on the course and finished 18 walking in 3hr 15min. i never played there before and the course was in great shape. the greens where an ok speed, slower then what i am use to though. the par 5's have good variety with 2 playing pretty long and the other 3 are easily reachable in 2. my biggest problem with the course was every par 3 was around 200 yards and had the same look to the hole. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

This drives me nuts, you have a course clipping along, then one group falls way behind yet they're within the "course pace" and you get told there's nothing they can do.  That's instantly how you fall behind for the rest of the day, because naturally what happens behind that is going to become slower than the "course pace".  We've come across this at numerous courses, not sure how the course can be okay with people coming through 9 in 1:30 and then all of a sudden there's a 40 minute gap, but it's okay because that group is at 2:10 which is the suggested pace. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

13 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

5:30 is excessive, but working at Naperbrook in my teens, I can attest to it taking a while to clean a range up.  Just like the guys who insist on using a cart until it's pitch black, you'd get the one guy who would want to hit until the sun has been down for 20+ minutes.  Honestly, if people were reasonable and stop doing dumb things like that, you probably wouldn't see closing times or places asking for carts back by a certain time. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

14 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

So much doesn't make sense with this. Do they actually need to pick the range to start fresh the next day or could you have someone come in an hour before the range opens in the morning and do the same thing?

Bolingbrook is open until 9P which would seems to be reasonable considering they have lights and I've left there at that time with plenty of balls still out on the range.

7 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

So much doesn't make sense with this. Do they actually need to pick the range to start fresh the next day or could you have someone come in an hour before the range opens in the morning and do the same thing?

Bolingbrook is open until 9P which would seems to be reasonable considering they have lights and I've left there at that time with plenty of balls still out on the range.

Not sure if it's the same there, but they'd mow the tee area almost daily so we had to make sure the balls were picked up from the tee area and tee area was cleared of dividers, bag holders ect.  I always questioned why we actually had to move it into a shed and lock up nightly rather than just put it off to the side, but that just resulted in funny looks from the pros.  Every Sunday we had to clear the entire range out so they could mow.  

Still think 5:30 is excessive tho. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy