Jump to content

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)


stasek

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Randall Oaks’ range closes at 5:30. Why? They said it takes too long to clean it up if they stay open late. It’s a very small range because half of it is always closed. If you have golfers just making the turn at 5:30, why close the range? Somebody is working until 8:30 or later anyway.

 

So much doesn't make sense with this. Do they actually need to pick the range to start fresh the next day or could you have someone come in an hour before the range opens in the morning and do the same thing?

 

Bolingbrook is open until 9P which would seems to be reasonable considering they have lights and I've left there at that time with plenty of balls still out on the range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

 

So much doesn't make sense with this. Do they actually need to pick the range to start fresh the next day or could you have someone come in an hour before the range opens in the morning and do the same thing?

 

Bolingbrook is open until 9P which would seems to be reasonable considering they have lights and I've left there at that time with plenty of balls still out on the range.

 

Not sure if it's the same there, but they'd mow the tee area almost daily so we had to make sure the balls were picked up from the tee area and tee area was cleared of dividers, bag holders ect.  I always questioned why we actually had to move it into a shed and lock up nightly rather than just put it off to the side, but that just resulted in funny looks from the pros.  Every Sunday we had to clear the entire range out so they could mow.  

 

Still think 5:30 is excessive tho. 

  • Like 2

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

 

Not sure if it's the same there, but they'd mow the tee area almost daily so we had to make sure the balls were picked up from the tee area and tee area was cleared of dividers, bag holders ect.  I always questioned why we actually had to move it into a shed and lock up nightly rather than just put it off to the side, but that just resulted in funny looks from the pros.  Every Sunday we had to clear the entire range out so they could mow.  

 

Still think 5:30 is excessive tho. 

Mowing your range twice a day? Talk about excessive. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

Mowing your range twice a day? Talk about excessive. 

 

No, back when I worked there in the 90's they would mow it in the morning, so it had to be cleaned up at night.    Monday mornings they would mow the entire range so we had to make sure it was clean everywhere.  Not sure if they still follow that practice, I believe they have mats now, but I'd guess most places that had grass tee's would be up keeping them regularly.   

  • Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2021 at 7:13 PM, Holy Moses said:

Randall Oaks’ range closes at 5:30. Why? They said it takes too long to clean it up if they stay open late. It’s a very small range because half of it is always closed. If you have golfers just making the turn at 5:30, why close the range? Somebody is working until 8:30 or later anyway.

I do love the “well, they are there anyway logic”...like they have no other work responsibilities.

 

😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, psygolf said:

I do love the “well, they are there anyway logic”...like they have no other work responsibilities.

 

😁

I saw a lot of people standing around doing nothing

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coming back in town next weekend for some family stuff, can get one round in but needs to be close. Probably going to be Highlands of Elgin or Poplar Creek for nostalgia (used to play there every week). looking forward to midwest golf and away from bermuda here in FL and get on some bent grass again

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/2/2021 at 9:31 AM, DavePelz4 said:

 

What is there not to like about PB?  Great practice area, accommodating staff, single friendly, pace is always good, the layout is fun and the course is always in great condition.  And, you've got the prison to add to the esthetics.

I always found the layout very boring. It’s a huge piece of property that I always felt they could have done a lot more with. But the prison and gun range make the surrounding area fun. Don’t pick up hitchhikers over there. 

  • Haha 1

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Cottonwood 2

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, cwb12 said:

Coming back in town next weekend for some family stuff, can get one round in but needs to be close. Probably going to be Highlands of Elgin or Poplar Creek for nostalgia (used to play there every week). looking forward to midwest golf and away from bermuda here in FL and get on some bent grass again

 

Schaumburg has done a nice renovation of their facility recently that might be worth trying if you haven't played it.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/26/2021 at 2:46 PM, TheBear95 said:

 

Nice. I'm a big fan of Aldeen.

 

Love the conditioning and bent fairways, but it doesn't have any character. Way to much down and back for me with the mounding between holes. Just not my style.

It's a good park district golf course. PrairieView (also a park district golf course) would be my choice in the area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ldchristopher said:

I always found the layout very boring. It’s a huge piece of property that I always felt they could have done a lot more with. But the prison and gun range make the surrounding area fun. Don’t pick up hitchhikers over there. 

 

Interesting take on the layout being boring.  It is kind of a what you see is what you get, but I always thought there was good variety in the par 3's and 5's.  They all face different directions so you get something different with the wind as well.  Some good risk reward on the par 5's and par 4's.  The course shows you what it has, what you see is what you get.  Always find it interesting how different people can see things. 

  • Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

I always found the layout very boring. It’s a huge piece of property that I always felt they could have done a lot more with. But the prison and gun range make the surrounding area fun. Don’t pick up hitchhikers over there. 

 

 

... Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I have always thought PB is one of the most beautiful courses in Chicago. Starting with no houses so just out in nature for all 18 is very rare. Then the amount of birds is bordering on an aviary with plenty of hawks always screeching as well as momma Red Wing Blackbirds not only attacking golfers but saw one dive bombing an Egret like it was in a National Geographic special. When in full bloom the heather is just breathtaking. 

... Other than the opening hole which I agree is boring but pleasantly so to start the round, no two holes are alike. Plenty of elevation changes with several risk reward opportunities. If I had to play just one muni over and over again, PB would be an easy choice. Obviously ymmv ...

 

 

 

788909625_PrairieBluff.JPG.2a62eec1e0b3e4d8a360c30be36082e3.JPG

Edited by chisag
  • Like 3

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 65R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max Hy 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
TaylorMade MG3 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, daveltb said:

 

Love the conditioning and bent fairways, but it doesn't have any character. Way to much down and back for me with the mounding between holes. Just not my style.

It's a good park district golf course. PrairieView (also a park district golf course) would be my choice in the area.

PrairieView is a better course, no doubt. But, the land they have for the PrairieView is much more interesting, especially the back 9. Not much one could do with Aldeen. Not the biggest piece of property and pancake flat.

Edited by TheBear95
  • Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TS3 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan 612

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, chisag said:

 

 

... Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I have always thought PB is one of the most beautiful courses in Chicago. Starting with no houses so just out in nature for all 18 is very rare. Then the amount of birds is bordering on an aviary with plenty of hawks always screeching as well as momma Red Wing Blackbirds not only attacking golfers but saw one dive bombing an Egret like it was in a National Geographic special. When in full bloom the heather is just breathtaking. 

... Other than the opening hole which I agree is boring but pleasantly so to start the round, no two holes are alike. Plenty of elevation changes with several risk reward opportunities. If I had to play just one muni over and over again, PB would be an easy choice. Obviously ymmv ...

 

 

 

788909625_PrairieBluff.JPG.2a62eec1e0b3e4d8a360c30be36082e3.JPG

 

 

Pound for pound, PB is my favorite in the area.  Love the course.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

on the topic of slow play, just saw a great email from a local course.

wanted to share some of the highlights.

 

Topic:

PACE OF PLAY IS 4 HOURS

No one group has been slow every week, however slow play is occurring just about every week.  We are working to solve this issue, and below are what we will be doing and what you can do to help:

  • We are increasing an additional Ranger presence to two Rangers starting at 9am to help monitor pace.

     

  • Course setup will be less challenging.

     

  • A grill will be available by the pickup window with more ready to go items.

PLAY READY GOLF.  KEEP UP WITH THE GROUP AHEAD OF YOU.  This is extremely important for the early groups.

Consider taking a cart if walking slows you down.

Pick up the ball if you’re out of the hole OR haven’t reached the green by your 4th or 5th shot.

Take no more than a few minutes at the turn.  Preorder food at the 8th hole from the cart GPS or call the clubhouse if you are walking.  Order ONLY items from the turn menu.

Play from the correct tees.  We see too many people playing where they shouldn’t.  Below are the PGA of America/USGA recommendations based on your average driving distances. 

 

275 yards

 

6,700-6,900 yards

 

250 yards

 

6,200-6,400 yards

 

225 yards

 

5,800-6,000 yards

 

200 yards

 

5,200-5,400 yards

 

175 yards

 

4,400-4,600 yards

We now have sand bottles on all the carts.  Please repair ball marks and use the sand bottles for your divots.

 

Love this approach by course management.........

 

Nice post. Based on that chart, I'd say 50% of players at a minimum are playing the wrong tees. I turn 60 this year and moved up another tee box on some holes. The game is more fun when you have a short iron approach every once in a while.

  • Like 2

Ping 410 Plus 12*

Callaway X-Hot 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 4 hybrid, XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Titleist T100 7-GW

Titleist Vokey 56*

Mizuno Pro 60*

Ping Anser 3

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, @_the_crook said:

Play from the correct tees.  We see too many people playing where they shouldn’t.  Below are the PGA of America/USGA recommendations based on your average driving distances. 

 

275 yards

 

6,700-6,900 yards

 

250 yards

 

6,200-6,400 yards

 

225 yards

 

5,800-6,000 yards

 

200 yards

 

5,200-5,400 yards

 

175 yards

 

4,400-4,600 yards

 

 

 

... Awesome chart thanks for posting. At 68 I hit my drives approx 250 in Chicago (longer in Phoenix) but really like to play at 6500-6600 as 6700 starts to change my approach shots. Holes are meant to be approached with specific clubs and if you need more than a short/mid iron into a narrow green with a deep front bunker, it is probably too long. Of course a long hole or two that are wide and deep with the ability to run the ball on the green is a nice challenge. I really like using all my irons and nothing more boring than playing a course that is too short and having short irons into every green. For instance the closing hole on my local muni plays 426 but all up hill and sloping right off the tee so a poor drive means a DI/hybrid, a decent drive a 5/6 iron and a really good drive a 7/8. Really well designed hole and playing the next tee up at 403 changes the approach shot as the drive will land on the flat at the top and not into the hill, while the next tee back at 449 results in a blind shot and maybe a 3 wood depending on the wind. 426 is perfect and the course plays 6403 with several very short par 4's and several long par 4's so it plays more like 6600. 

... Playing the right tees makes all the difference imo ...

  • Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 65R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max Hy 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
TaylorMade MG3 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, @_the_crook said:

on the topic of slow play, just saw a great email from a local course.

wanted to share some of the highlights.

 

Topic:

PACE OF PLAY IS 4 HOURS

No one group has been slow every week, however slow play is occurring just about every week.  We are working to solve this issue, and below are what we will be doing and what you can do to help:

  • We are increasing an additional Ranger presence to two Rangers starting at 9am to help monitor pace.

     

  • Course setup will be less challenging.

     

  • A grill will be available by the pickup window with more ready to go items.

PLAY READY GOLF.  KEEP UP WITH THE GROUP AHEAD OF YOU.  This is extremely important for the early groups.

Consider taking a cart if walking slows you down.

Pick up the ball if you’re out of the hole OR haven’t reached the green by your 4th or 5th shot.

Take no more than a few minutes at the turn.  Preorder food at the 8th hole from the cart GPS or call the clubhouse if you are walking.  Order ONLY items from the turn menu.

Play from the correct tees.  We see too many people playing where they shouldn’t.  Below are the PGA of America/USGA recommendations based on your average driving distances. 

 

275 yards

 

6,700-6,900 yards

 

250 yards

 

6,200-6,400 yards

 

225 yards

 

5,800-6,000 yards

 

200 yards

 

5,200-5,400 yards

 

175 yards

 

4,400-4,600 yards

We now have sand bottles on all the carts.  Please repair ball marks and use the sand bottles for your divots.

 

Love this approach by course management.........

 

 

That's basically the 36*6i or 25.5*D rule of thumb. Been using that for years. 

 

Totally agree that too many players are playing way too long. I've played with plenty of short hitters (200 yds) playing 6600+ yds, and they have practically no chance of reaching greens in regulation. 

 

Another thing that seems to be ignored are conditions. If it's cold and/or wet, your 250 yds drives may struggle to get out 230 yds. Add in wind and it's worse. Firm, dry summer? Sure, move back, or play a combo. 

 

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

on the topic of slow play, just saw a great email from a local course.

wanted to share some of the highlights.

 

Topic:

PACE OF PLAY IS 4 HOURS

No one group has been slow every week, however slow play is occurring just about every week.  We are working to solve this issue, and below are what we will be doing and what you can do to help:

  • We are increasing an additional Ranger presence to two Rangers starting at 9am to help monitor pace.

     

  • Course setup will be less challenging.

     

  • A grill will be available by the pickup window with more ready to go items.

PLAY READY GOLF.  KEEP UP WITH THE GROUP AHEAD OF YOU.  This is extremely important for the early groups.

Consider taking a cart if walking slows you down.

Pick up the ball if you’re out of the hole OR haven’t reached the green by your 4th or 5th shot.

Take no more than a few minutes at the turn.  Preorder food at the 8th hole from the cart GPS or call the clubhouse if you are walking.  Order ONLY items from the turn menu.

Play from the correct tees.  We see too many people playing where they shouldn’t.  Below are the PGA of America/USGA recommendations based on your average driving distances. 

 

275 yards

 

6,700-6,900 yards

 

250 yards

 

6,200-6,400 yards

 

225 yards

 

5,800-6,000 yards

 

200 yards

 

5,200-5,400 yards

 

175 yards

 

4,400-4,600 yards

We now have sand bottles on all the carts.  Please repair ball marks and use the sand bottles for your divots.

 

Love this approach by course management.........

 

 

200-225 is where a majority of the golfers I witness or get paired with fall into, you'll never see most admit they're hitting their driver that far, and you'll for never see them play what is going to fall into the front tees at most courses.   Most of these guys think they're hitting it 280, I can't tell you how many times somebody thought my 265 yard drive was 325.

  • Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

 

200-225 is where a majority of the golfers I witness or get paired with fall into, you'll never see most admit they're hitting their driver that far, and you'll for never see them play what is going to fall into the front tees at most courses.   Most of these guys think they're hitting it 280, I can't tell you how many times somebody thought my 265 yard drive was 325.

 

 

... So true. I had a fitting with TaylorMade last month and they asked me how far I hit my driver and I said 240-250. After hitting balls with different shafts into a mild 5 mph wind, my average was 247. Got to know the rep well and he said you are in the 1% that don't exaggerate how far they hit the ball. Most add 25 to 50 yds or more! Guy beside me was probably 50 and stated he hit his driver 275 to 300 and was trying to find out if he should go to an X-Flex. He had a hard time hitting decent enough shots because he duffed, topped, sliced, hooked most but the average on balls in play was 218. When the fitter suggested a R-Flex he got mad and left. 

... For fun I will relate a story from playing in LA 4 years ago when I was paired up with 3 Indian gentleman in their 60's that played the tips while I played a tee box in front of them. After 9 holes I suggested they move to the tee box in front of me because none broke 50 on the front. "No, no we are maximizing our dollar value. You pay 2 times more than us for every shot." LOL, I had never heard that one. Great guys that played very fast and only stoped moving when I addressed my ball but not each other, he later admitted they were not very good and they were just trying to hit as many shots as possible.  Gotta admire that when we waited on every tee box. One of the more enjoyable rounds I have played with strangers.

Edited by chisag
  • Like 4

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 65R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max Hy 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
TaylorMade MG3 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, chisag said:

Got to know the rep well and he said you are in the 1% that don't exaggerate how far they hit the ball.

Why on earth would anyone mislead the guy standing next to you who is WATCHING your shot?

 

one of my partners hits 300-325 and I love when he does.

me - nossomuch.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

Why on earth would anyone mislead the guy standing next to you who is WATCHING your shot?

 

one of my partners hits 300-325 and I love when he does.

me - nossomuch.

 

 

 

... I think some of these guys hit a crazy long drive once in their life probably 275 and think it was 325. This was a 1 hr free fitting from TM and I already had a Sim2 Max and just wanted to fine tune shafts and hit some irons too. Happy with my Cobra Tour MIM irons but why not hit the new TM's?  I imagine serious players that pay for a fitting would be more honest but FREE brings out the knuckleheads. I only saw 5 players being fit, me and the guy next to me and the 2 before and after my fitting. None of them hit anything close to consistent shots with plenty of fat, thin and just all over the place shots. I wrote a review of the process and said the fitters have to be saints to keep their sanity and deal with the delusional. Rep showed it to his boss and they sent me a dozen TP5x Pix balls and offered PUD pricing on clubs, which I thought was very nice. Here is the review from my Facebook page:


... There are plenty of difficult jobs in the golf industry but I can't imagine any being more difficult than fitting average golfers for equipment. The fitter has to be part scientist, part counselor, part bar tender and of course part salesman. I have been fit at the PGA Show many times as well as independent fittings and the current TaylorMade Fitting Experience is as good as it gets. I cannot comment on every fitter but working with Tyler More in Phoenix was really a treat. I signed up for a full bag fitting and had a 1 hour time slot. Not impossible but pretty unrealistic to think you can go through driver, fairway woods, hybrids, irons, wedges and putters in anything less than 2 hours. That said the service is free and scheduling more than 1 hour would mean TaylorMade could only help 50% of the golfers that sign up. As it is, some golfers actually just show up looking to be fit without scheduling an appointment which puts the fitter in a terrible position of basically saying "Sorry but we can't help you today". That of course can cause some completely unfounded resentment but all part of the fitters job to smooth it over as best they can. But on to the fitting. 

... Tyler immediately asked what every good fitter should start with "What are you looking to accomplish today"? In my case I was looking at irons and shaft combo's and fine tuning my driver shaft in a SIM 2 head. Tyler did not say OK but maybe we just take a look at fairway woods, wedges and putters if we have the time. What he did say was "Excellent, lets get started". Here is where these guys really earn their money. After 2 back surgeries I never hit balls at the range because standing in one spot and repeating a swing is a recipe for disc problems. So right off the bat I am at a disadvantage, as is my fitter because I am doing something completely unfamiliar as every shot I hit is under the pressure of scoring and always at a specific target and distance. I simply do not hit the ball well at the range and my swing always feels different than on the course. I briefly explained this and Tyler said he completely understood. I cannot imagine the excuses they listen to every day (Tyler said he could write a book LOL) from the obvious "I am usually much better than this" and of course "My swing speed is much faster than the launch monitor is showing" while watching a player top shots, hit them fat and thin and rarely produce 2 swings that are identical or even similar. The fitters job is to make the player comfortable as best they can and then they have to deal with however that player is swinging on this particular day. Those that know me have heard me say many times I believe every gofer should play the most forgiving irons they can "effectively" play and Tyler had his own version that was he fits golfers for their tendencies, not their perfect strikes. In other words he tries to find your average swing and then fits you to take advantage of both what you do well and especially what you do poorly. For outliers, he simply discards the data as one push fade or pull hook can skew the results. In my case I was really looking at P770's which is right in line with what I currently play. Tyler was happy to fit me into that head and we fine tuned shafts to get the best combination of spin, trajectory and distance. As a 68 yr old Tyler started me off with a 65gm graphite senior shaft and they were awful for my swing as I have been swinging 95gm shafts for a loooooong time and pretty tuned into that weight. He moved me into something a little stiffer and 85gms and they were better but still shorter with worse dispersion than normal for me. He finally moved me into 95gm Nippon 950GH shafts and that combo worked out very well and gave me the best numbers as well as shots passing the eye test and feeling best. 

... Here is where a good fitter can make all the difference as Tyler suggested we try the P790's, even though I told him I owned a set but had to sell them because they did not produce enough spin for the hard, fast desert greens in Phoenix. He nodded and understood but said lets just try them for fun and see how they work for you with some different combinations. He started with the 950GH and not surprisingly I hit the P970/950GH farther, higher and straighter than the P770's. Not a night and day difference but an improvement. Still needing a little more spin Tyler then put me into the new 950GH NEO shafts that launches a little higher and produces a little more spin. The combo worked very well and it was obvious that my average shots would be fine with either 770's or 790's but my misses were a little better with the 790's. Tylers suggestion weakening the 790's 2* which would give me pretty much optimal spin, trajectory and distance. He was also fine with me possibly doing a combo of 770's in pw-8 and 790's in 7-4 iron. 

... Next we hit driver and Tyler again showed his experience and expertise by handing me a driver and shaft combo without telling me what it was after watching me hit my SIM Max and Diamana LTD for a baseline. I could of course ask but then I might be pre disposed to have a certain bias for or against the combo so I trusted my fitter and just hit some shots. Long story shortened a bit, Tyler ended up saying my SIM Diamana LTD combo was as good as it gets (although I hit the Tensei Raw Blue a hair farther) and that same shaft in a SIM 2 Max might be even more forgiving. He asked who fit me into that combo. After years of fittings I know what works for me and a mid flex, mid spin and mid torque sounds boring and generic but works best for my swing so I told Tyler I fit myself and without skipping a beat he said "Well, you certainly knew what you were doing". And that pretty much sums up a great fitting. Tyler complimented me on my driver choice and ability to fit myself while gently moving me away from my first choice of P770's and into P790's by having me prove to myself with his guidance that they are a better fit. Had I said I just liked the P770's more and I hit them on the course better than I do at the range I have no doubts Tyler would have supported my thoughts as his job is to help me find the best equipment for my swing, but the final decision is mine. Golfers are a funny lot and what works best is not always their first choice if they have their heart set on something else. 

... Getting fit is an absolute essential part of playing your best golf. I want to thank Tyler for working with me and If you have not been fit I highly recommend the TaylorMade Fitting Experience. Not only are these guys really, really good at what they do, it is FREE. And that is a hard combination to beat!

  • Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 65R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max Hy 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
TaylorMade MG3 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tee boxes is such an interesting topic because people always loop tee box and handicap together.  It doesn't help that alot of courses have suggested handicap next to the tee boxes on the scorecard.  The reality is you could be a 5 handicap and hit driver 220 which means you simply cannot play a 7000 yard course that has 230 yard forced carries.  Whereas a 12 handicap that hits driver 280 can play that same course no problem.

 

The turning point for me was playing Whsitling Straights.  I think I posted this before.  The guy I got paired up with was awesome, said he was a 4 and wanted to play the 6300 yard tees.  I thought to myself, gee, I am an 8 so I better do the same.  I never felt so let down walking off the course, it was completely weakened at that distance.  I felt like Poplar Creek was more difficult.   From that point on, I play the back tees at almost every course.  I enjoy the challenge,  I enjoy playing the course as it was meant to be played and I love hitting different irons to greens as Chisag said.  That is the beauty of golf, play how you like and enjoy. 

 

That being said, I am playing Erin Hills Saturday for the 1st time and I am seriously hoping someone in my group wants to play the back tees.  I don't want to play 7800 yards by myself...lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Shriner said:

Tee boxes is such an interesting topic because people always loop tee box and handicap together.  It doesn't help that alot of courses have suggested handicap next to the tee boxes on the scorecard.  The reality is you could be a 5 handicap and hit driver 220 which means you simply cannot play a 7000 yard course that has 230 yard forced carries.  Whereas a 12 handicap that hits driver 280 can play that same course no problem.

 

The turning point for me was playing Whsitling Straights.  I think I posted this before.  The guy I got paired up with was awesome, said he was a 4 and wanted to play the 6300 yard tees.  I thought to myself, gee, I am an 8 so I better do the same.  I never felt so let down walking off the course, it was completely weakened at that distance.  I felt like Poplar Creek was more difficult.   From that point on, I play the back tees at almost every course.  I enjoy the challenge,  I enjoy playing the course as it was meant to be played and I love hitting different irons to greens as Chisag said.  That is the beauty of golf, play how you like and enjoy. 

 

That being said, I am playing Erin Hills Saturday for the 1st time and I am seriously hoping someone in my group wants to play the back tees.  I don't want to play 7800 yards by myself...lol.

 

Did you break par at Whistling Straits or shoot below your handicap/rating?

 

I agree handicap is a dumb way to do it - my wife is a +/- 0. She only drives the ball 230 in the air though. That is why golf is great - there is a place for everyone. I don't necessarily think hitting the ball far equates to playing the backs either. The most important part would be being in a place that you can attack the center greens confidently. A mid handicap shouldn't be hitting long irons in to every par 4 and relying on their pitching and chipping.  

 

That being said, play where ever the hell you want as long as you keep up with group ahead of you who cares. 

Edited by mci711
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still don't get the challenge thing.   Golf is played against par. If you didn't shoot par or under, you were challenged.

  • Like 3

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

I still don't get the challenge thing.   Golf is played against par. If you didn't shoot par or under, you were challenged.

 

I try to strike a balance. I don't think the vast majority of golfers could break par if they moved up to 5000 yds, but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure most players wouldn't get a kick out of leaving the driver in the bag on the majority of holes.

 

What I like about the 36*6i rule of thumb is that it generally allows one to hit most clubs in the bag, while still being able to reach holes in regulation using everything from a lob wedge to a fairway wood. I see too many players hitting driver, fairway wood, hybrid/mid-iron on par 4s. Challenging, but is that really fun?

 

  • Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really depends on what you hit better...back when I was a caddie in college, the finishing hole at Twin Orchard was @430yds, I had a warbird 9wood that I could hit straight as a string 215yds

 

I hit that green more often going 9w-9w than I ever did with driver/long or mid iron.

 

The longer the course the better for me back then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Wolfhammer said:

 

What is the 36*6i rule?

 

Sorry, it's 36*5i. My bad. The suggested length of the course is 36 times your 5 iron distance, which is very close to 25.5 times the driver distance. 

 

I hit a 5i 180 yds, and 36 times that is 6480 yds. 

 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The biggest issue I see with tee selection is the uniformity of foursomes to all play the same tees. Sure, one guy might be able to play off the tips or back tees, but what about the other three guys? Not likely. 

 

How often do you see foursomes (especially guys that were not grouped up on #1) play different tees? I see it only once in a blue moon. This also goes hand-in-hand with riding, as it is much easier to play your preferred tees when walking with your own clubs.

  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TS3 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan 612

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   3 members

  • Our picks

    • 2021 RSM Classic - Discussion and Links
      2021 RSM Classic - Monday
      2021 RSM Classic - Tuesday #1
      2021 RSM Classic - Tuesday #2
       
       
      Trey Mullinax - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Brett Drewitt - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Matt Wallace - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Josh Creel - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Ben Crane - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Justin Lower - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Adam Svensson - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Brendon Todd - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Webb Simpson - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Chesson Hadley - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Kiradech Aphibarnrat - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Bill Haas - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Max Homa - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
      Nick Watney - WITB - 2021 RSM Classic
       
       
      New Odyssey Tri Hot putters - 2021 RSM Classic
       
       
       
       
      • 1 reply
    • 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      Pat Perez - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Tony Finau - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Kramer Hickok - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Paul Barjon - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Nate Lashley - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Seamus Powers - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Dylan Frittelli - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      C.T. Pan - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Chase Koepka - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Branden Grace - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Marc Leishman - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Martin Laird - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Shane Lowery - WITB - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
       
      Cameron CT T-11 putter - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      New Graphite Design shafts - WITB @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Cameron cover from 2021 ZOZO Championship - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Bettinardi covers - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
      Cameron CT putters - @ 2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open
       
       
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #1
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #2
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #3
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Tuesday #4
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Wednesday #1
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Wednesday #2
      2021 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Houston Open - Wednesday #3
       
       
       
       
      • 1 reply
    • APPLY NOW: L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 Putter (Early Access) Member Testing! 10 Testers Needed!
      L.A.B. Golf is choosing ten GolfWRX members to receive their MEZZ.1 putter early and put their brand new product to the test before reporting back to the community about what they see. The selected testers will be one of the first to experience the MEZZ.1 from L.A.B. GOLF, their newest Lie Angle Balanced design, ahead of it's January 2022 launch!
       
      About The L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1 Putter
      MEZZ.1 is our new mid-mallet putter that’s fully CNC machined from a billet of 6061 aircraft aluminum (body) and 303 stainless steel (midsection) to create our best-feeling — and we think best looking — putter to date. It includes 10 weights (eight on the bottom, two on the sides) that allow us to individually build each putter to a golfer’s exact specifications.
       
      How To Apply
      In a post below, answer the following questions.
       
      1. City, State?
      2. Handicap?
      3. What is your current putter?
      4. Have you ever used a L.A.B. Golf putter?
      5. Why do you want to review the MEAZZ.1 putter?
      6. Do you agree to participate in an ongoing testing thread, posting reviews and photos?
       
      That's it! @labgolf and GolfWRX will choose the testers in about 2 weeks! This testing event is for good-standing members in the USA only!
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 435 replies
    • 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #1
      2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club - Tuesday #2
       
       
      Adam Scott - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Rose - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Collin Morikawa - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Jason Day - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Erik Van Rooyen - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Matt Jones - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Davis - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Cam Smith - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Byeong Hun An - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Min Kyu - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
      Joohyung Kim - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Tommy Fleetwood - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Lucas Glover - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Keegan Bradley - WITB - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
       
       
       
      Gary Woodland's new Cameron putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Kevin Na's new Odyssey/Toulon putter - 2021 CJ Cup @ The Summit Club
      Jucie wedges & Proto irons - 2021 CJ Cup at The Summit Club
       
       
       
       
      • 6 replies
    • 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open WITB Photos- Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here...
       
      Links:
       
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Ian Poulter - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Corey Conners - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Harry Higgs - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Matt NeSmith - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      Doug Ghim - WITB - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Cameron Las Vegas covers - 2021 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open
      New Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX shafts - 2021 Shriners Hospitals doe Children Open
       
       

       
        • Like
      • 15 replies

×
×
  • Create New...