Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Only 1 IL course in Golf magazine's top 30 municipal courses in the USA and it's Harborside International (Port).

I haven't played it, but I know some of you have.

Thoughts? Is it worthy? Are there other IL muni's that are better?

https://golf.com/travel/courses/americas-30-best-municipal-golf-courses/

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff D9 forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

16 minutes ago, Woodridge said:

Only 1 IL course in Golf magazine's top 30 municipal courses in the USA and it's Harborside International (Port).

Its not worth the $110-$120 they charge but its a good course. Id say a $60-$70 price would be more fitting. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

7 minutes ago, Woodridge said:

Yeah, it's definitely worth playing. Overpriced, but a decent layout.

I don't see how it gets to #28 on the list. Muni is a subset of all courses open to the public, so they're excluding thousands of courses to create the list. There are some fairly well known courses not on that list, e.g. Stevens Park in Dallas, Washington County in Hartford, WI, Brown Deer in Milwaukee.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

39 minutes ago, Woodridge said:
18 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Yeah, it's definitely worth playing. Overpriced, but a decent layout.

I don't see how it gets to #28 on the list. Muni is a subset of all courses open to the public, so they're excluding thousands of courses to create the list. There are some fairly well known courses not on that list, e.g. Stevens Park in Dallas, Washington County in Hartford, WI, Brown Deer in Milwaukee.

I think some of those lists are pay to play or who you know type situations. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, Woodridge said:

That is possibly the most naive list ever. In the Chicago area alone, The Highlands, Cantigny, Prairie Landing and Arrowhead deserve to be on that list ahead of Harborside.

• Like 2

This list is pretty loose on what is a "Muni" right? When I think of a muni I think of Jackson Park type of places that were run by local government, is that not true? Like to book Bethpage black you have to go to the parks department website. Most munis also provide a pretty deep discount to locals. Assuming Harborside would laugh at you if you asked for the Chicago discount. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mci711 said:

This list is pretty loose on what is a "Muni" right? When I think of a muni I think of Jackson Park type of places that were run by local government, is that not true? Like to book Bethpage black you have to go to the parks department website. Most munis also provide a pretty deep discount to locals. Assuming Harborside would laugh at you if you asked for the Chicago discount. 

This is what I've always thought. A muni is owned by the city/county, and isn't really operated to generate a profit as much as it exists to better the community. Seems like "muni" is being used here to mean "public."

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Wolfhammer said:

This is what I've always thought. A muni is owned by the city/county, and isn't really operated to generate a profit as much as it exists to better the community. Seems like "muni" is being used here to mean "public."

Which also wouldn't make sense because obviously only a couple of those are actually the best public courses in the country. "30 courses that donated the most to golf digest" 

• Like 1

tried to play golf today after work and the only golf course around me that had open tee times was springbrook. i try and not play naperville golf courses because there driving ranges are terrible and the pace of play is so slow. 18 holes took 4hr 45min today.  theres something about the course, i feel like they don't cut their fairways short enough where its fluffy out there and they mow the rough too short where it isn't an issue being in it. the course played much pretty soft and green speeds where normal for the course so anything downhill is a goner unless you hit the hole. the golf game is coming together though, i shot a 76 but was 2 under through 11 and then bogey'd 6 of the last 7. started missing my driver left and right and got pretty tired from walking in the heat plus the slow play just kinda lost it all at the end. 

1 hour ago, ReinyDays said:

tried to play golf today after work and the only golf course around me that had open tee times was springbrook. i try and not play naperville golf courses because there driving ranges are terrible and the pace of play is so slow. 18 holes took 4hr 45min today.  theres something about the course, i feel like they don't cut their fairways short enough where its fluffy out there and they mow the rough too short where it isn't an issue being in it. the course played much pretty soft and green speeds where normal for the course so anything downhill is a goner unless you hit the hole. the golf game is coming together though, i shot a 76 but was 2 under through 11 and then bogey'd 6 of the last 7. started missing my driver left and right and got pretty tired from walking in the heat plus the slow play just kinda lost it all at the end. 

... While I played Naperbrook quite a bit and afternoons rarely took more than 4 hours, usually around 3:30-3:45 I stopped playing Springbrook quite a few years ago because 4:45 to 5:15 seemed to be the norm. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

18 hours ago, Woodridge said:

IMO with regards to the northern burbs, Thunderhawk is not bad for a county course and Shepherds Crook, when in good condition, is even more enjoyable in my opinion and part of the Zion park district I believe.    I've never been to Harborside, but for the price and value these would likely stack up to it up in the north.   A half step behind them would probably be Steeple Chase in Mundelein. 

Edited by TBone0576
  • Like 2

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

A real sauna at Coyote Run this morning. A little too much sun, and practically no wind. I was dragging by the end of the round. The course was quite wet due to a thorough overnight and/or early morning soaking. That certainly didn't help things. We weren't getting much rollout on the front nine with the balls kicking up rooster tails. Got better on the back. Fairways were in great shape. Rough was cut. Bunkers were sandy and groomed. Greens looked fine, but again were only rolling 9 at best. I assume the current heat wave has prevented the courses from cutting the greens close. Hopefully next week's cooler temps will allow a cut. 

Pace felt glacial at 4:10. A foursome two groups in front of us were nearly two holes behind by the turn. Again, no idea why groups schedule early morning rounds and expect to putz their way around the course. 

Much better round than yesterday. Driver was behaving itself, and while I wasn't sticking approaches close, at least I was hitting greens. No birdies today, and two bogies. Only highlight was hitting the 15th green with a 6 iron after a miserable teeshot that barely made the fairway. Lol. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

On 6/10/2021 at 8:04 PM, Wolfhammer said:

Owned by the Illinois Port Authority, managed by Kemper Sports

Last night at about 11, my wife gave me the okay to play more than one round on Saturday. 36 was a given but I hadn’t walked 54 in a couple of years and thought that might be in the cards if the weather cooperated. Bonnie Brook was first. It was soaking wet, which was odd since it hadn’t rained at all. I say let the course bake out but the Bonnie Brook super disagrees. Anyway, it was in fine shape. The greens were smooth and as the moisture lessened they picked up some pace. My game was still super inconsistent. It’s been feeling like a slow limp to Summer Break, when I can start playing more. 
Round two was at Oak Grove. I figured some stuff out swing-wise and the course, as always, was empty. We didn’t catch anyone until the 17th hole. Odd considering it was a Saturday afternoon. Oak Grove never changes and had the usual springy greens and firm fairways, but it was weird seeing no water at all in the creek that cuts in front of the 13th green and 16th tee. They put new sand in some bunkers but there’s still a pile in the parking lot and a bunch of traps haven’t been touched. It was hot in the sun but the ball was absolutely flying in the heat and humidity. I bogied 1, 6, 7, 15 and 16 and birdied 9. 75. 
Round three was at Brae Loch. I’d never played there before but it’s perfect for what we were trying to do. The course is what it is. Pancake flat and a shade over 5800 yards. It got poured on before we played but was still very burnt out. The greens are tiny but the sand traps are huge. They sent us off the back and I had kind of a rocky first nine but shot even on the back. One birdie with lots of other very good looks. 72. A shade over 18 miles total walked. 

• Like 4

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Erin Hills was amazing as expected.  The course obviously gets a ton of play but for whatever reason, it is difficult to leave massive ball marks.  Even full irons leave little dimples, that are easy to fix. They actually do not want you to replace divots so that they can hand seed all divots.  I imagine this is why the fairways looked so pristine.

The course - more difficult than what I imagined, mostly because of the run off areas around greens that you just don't see around here very often.  I hit the green in three on 14, only to watch the ball come off the false front by about 30 yards.  You now have a pitch shot to an elevated green or it comes back to your feet.  Amazing what the pros shot here in 2017.  For once, I am glad I did not go to the back tees, the green tees were plenty.

First time with a caddie and it was not as awkward as I expected.  She was very helpful and they sure do know exactly where to be on every hole to find balls in the fescue.  As someone posted above, it was 5:15 minute round, but it would have been better if the threesome in front had a caddie.  They looked like they were struggling to finish.  My caddie said her player had to be driven off the course after 13 holes Friday.  I like the heat so it didn't bother me.  The lodge, restaurant, bar, etc. were all top notch...what a place.

• Like 2

The Brute this morning.  Course is in decent shape, but the bunkers have a LOT of pebbles in them, which was kind of weird.  No matter how hard I tried, I could not figure out the greens.  The downhillers were lightning quick (not surprising, due to the greens’ slope), but the uphill putts were painfully slow.  Didn’t make anything  over 5’, and missed couple 3 footers.  Way too many 3 putts. Very frustrating, since I think I figured out my driver (yeah, sure!), and only had couple loose tee shots.  

• Like 1

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

Played 14 holes at Bartlett Hills on Saturday until the weather won out. They're following the trend of many other courses and taking trees out. Leaving 14 and driving past the 16th green, you can see the trees by the trap on the right are gone as well as the overhanging tree on the left has been cut back.

Bartlett is also following the path of other courses and jacking their rates through the roof.  Believe with a small bucket it was $79.  Bartlett Hills isn't an $75 golf course by any stretch and at that cost, we'll stay away.

Our group is playing our first competitive round at Oak Brook on Saturday.  Haven't played there in years so it should be an interesting day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

Played 14 holes at Bartlett Hills on Saturday until the weather won out. They're following the trend of many other courses and taking trees out. Leaving 14 and driving past the 16th green, you can see the trees by the trap on the right are gone as well as the overhanging tree on the left has been cut back.

Bartlett is also following the path of other courses and jacking their rates through the roof.  Believe with a small bucket it was $79.  Bartlett Hills isn't an $75 golf course by any stretch and at that cost, we'll stay away.

Our group is playing our first competitive round at Oak Brook on Saturday.  Haven't played there in years so it should be an interesting day.

Wow, that is really getting up there for an average type course.  I hope these prices aren't here to stay.  I already booked Father's Day round as the courses are filling up extremely fast in the morning.  Everyone likes to finish before US Open.  I got Marengo Ridge at $57, not bad for a Sunday morning round.

Nice morning at Maple Meadows. The breeze made things quite comfortable. Sure beats last week's heat and humidity. Conditions were OK. Fairways were fine. Rough was a reasonable length, and a little brown in spots. Bunkers were washed out from Saturday's rain. Greens looked nice, but were only rolling 8 to 9. Probably haven't been cut in a week. 

Pace was the usually hair pulling adventure. I followed a pokey twosome for three holes to start the round, waiting on every shot, before finally being allowed to play through on the 4th. Grrrr. When I was walking up to the 6th, a threesome on the tee was hitting, and after looking my way, made a dash to their carts. Oy. I decided to skip to the 8th, and looped back to play the 7th and 6th after finishing the par 3 9th. Open course after that. I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but I just don't get it. 

What an up and down day. My putter finally got hot, which was surprising given the slow greens. Four birdies and five bogies. A couple of birdies were tap ins after sticking a wedge close, but two were 21 and 15 feet. Highlight of the day was not putting my tee shot in the pond on the 8th. Lol. I made it to the right rough, but luckily it settled down quickly. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

I'm considering coming out of retirement to work as an IT consultant. I'd like to work closely with the numerous courses in Chicagoland that can't figure out how to configure their booking engines to allow multiple price points. 

I'm making the trek up to ThunderHawk tomorrow for the 2nd time. I last played it 13 years ago. Their website shows walking rates of $60, and notes that carts are an additional $20. (What a rip off). When one selects the time slot I was able to choose 1 player, but the cart fee was automatically included in the price, $80. There was a button to deselect the cart, but it was disabled. Rather than book the riding rate, I decided to call the course and talk with Goober. 

Goober explained that people complained when they charged them the cart fee, even though the extra fee is clearly stated on the booking engine, so they decided to force everyone to book at the riding rate. He ensured me that I could request the walking rate at the pro shop. 

I asked him what I would be charged if I was a no show given that I had to book the riding rate, and he explained that since it was a weekday I could call them and explain to get a refund. Uh huh. Of course he said if I was a no show on the weekend I'd be charged the full rate. 

Is this actually that difficult? There are over 200 courses in the area. The majority have somehow figured out how to manage multiple rates (Walking/Riding, Regular/Senior/Junior) on their booking engines. It's not rocket science. 

Edited by Argonne69

I feel that most golf websites are terrible and that's probably why GolfNow became what it is.  Golf websites are terrible.  They either don't work, add a cart fee, you book and the time becomes unavailable.

On another note, I am starting to see rates stabilize and even seeing some deals as well.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, chrisf60526 said:

I feel that most golf websites are terrible and that's probably why GolfNow became what it is.  Golf websites are terrible.  They either don't work, add a cart fee, you book and the time becomes unavailable.

On another note, I am starting to see rates stabilize and even seeing some deals as well.  

What's aggravating is that there are a handful of major booking engines used by most courses (GolfNow, EZLinks, Chronos), and the courses can't seem to configure them correctly. I can't believe that the booking engines don't provide support when they're set up. 

Then there are the numerous courses that require setting up an account to book a tee time, even though you may never play the course again. How about a 'Guest' checkout? Many courses have this option. Oh, and once you book a tee time you're also signing up to get spammed every couple of days. Seems the fine print allows them to opt you in to emails with no way to opt out. 

Took a day off to get a Monday round in at Willowcrest.  They had a $40 hot deal that was too good to turn down.  Course was in pretty good shape other than the bunkers which were loaded with rocks.  Luckily I only ended up in two for the day.  Greens rolled nice but they were fairly slow compared to what I've normally seen.  A lot of downhill putts struggled to get to the hole.  

Game was pretty rough.  Only hit 3 fairways and 10 greens.  My short game, which has been on fire this year, finally cruised back to reality.  I managed a 78, but given it's a par 70, it sounds better than it is.  As usual for us, we pull up to see a fairly empty course but of course we have a 4 some tee off in front of us that somehow thought they could play the tips despite nobody hitting a single driver over 200 yards.  This course is a long 6400 given it's a par 70, but they shouldn't have been playing 6400 at any par.  Oh well, it was a nice a day and we just kind of went with it being glad we weren't at work!

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Spent the weekend at Grand Geneva. Fun day on Saturday at Hawks View. After playing The Brute a few years back , we all agree Hawks View was better to play, fairer, and just more fun. Missed a 10-footer on the 9th for 5 birdies in a row but I guess the chip in eagle at 10 made up for it. Form bodes well for the Galena Eagle Ridge trip next week. Definitely looking forward that.

Edited by B-Man
  • Like 2

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

Took a day off to get a Monday round in at Willowcrest.  They had a $40 hot deal that was too good to turn down.  Course was in pretty good shape other than the bunkers which were loaded with rocks.  Luckily I only ended up in two for the day.  Greens rolled nice but they were fairly slow compared to what I've normally seen.  A lot of downhill putts struggled to get to the hole.  

Game was pretty rough.  Only hit 3 fairways and 10 greens.  My short game, which has been on fire this year, finally cruised back to reality.  I managed a 78, but given it's a par 70, it sounds better than it is.  As usual for us, we pull up to see a fairly empty course but of course we have a 4 some tee off in front of us that somehow thought they could play the tips despite nobody hitting a single driver over 200 yards.  This course is a long 6400 given it's a par 70, but they shouldn't have been playing 6400 at any par.  Oh well, it was a nice a day and we just kind of went with it being glad we weren't at work!

That's the problem with Willowcrest (and all of the west suburban courses in my area).  The lack of supply and thats what you get.  Willowcrest is not the easiest track and I always see 4 somes playong the tips.  It's 3 miles from my house and I only play it when i get a deal or in the fall.  Otherwise, they want like $80 for a round that can get quite backed up

• Like 2