Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

On 6/9/2021 at 8:34 PM, Shriner said:

Honestly, I think the reason is pretty simple, most people on a golf message board are fairly knowledgeable about the courses/availability/locations/pricing.  Arrowhead is $$$$ and we just happen to have a plethora of options in IL for less that are comparable or better courses.   Ever notice no one really mentions Cantigny or Seven Bridges either?   For over $100, you can play some amazing courses twice before playing those courses once!

Good point about Seven Bridges as well.  I live nearby and it's a great course, but for what they want is it really worth it?  I end up going elsewhere time and time again.

6 hours ago, Mandatory Golf Friday said:

Annual buddies trip about to kick off, this year will be a Midwest Chicago/Wisco circuit.  Opener at Champaign CC tomorrow.  Head north Friday to Stonebridge CC.  Saturday at Edgewood Valley with caddies, followed by Forest Hills on Sunday.  Monday morning we head up to cap it all off at Erin Hills.

Will be interesting to hear about Edgewood...rarely have played it but thought the conditioning was always impeccable.

• Like 1

If you're going to be in Southwest/Southcentral Michigan or looking to pick-up a round driving thru on I-94 (only 10 minutes off the highway), I would definitely recommend The Medalist. The first two holes are pedestrian, but after that, the rest of the course is stellar. I found it more than fair off-the-tee and it gave me zero trouble. LD has some mental blockage now when it comes to seeing trees when on the tee box. He should play the rest of his rounds this year at Golf Club of Illinois, lol.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist 816 H1 19*

Titleist TS3 23*
Sub 70 639 CBs (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 48*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan 612

1 hour ago, TheBear95 said:

If you're going to be in Southwest/Southcentral Michigan or looking to pick-up a round driving thru on I-94 (only 10 minutes off the highway), I would definitely recommend The Medalist. The first two holes are pedestrian, but after that, the rest of the course is stellar. I found it more than fair off-the-tee and it gave me zero trouble. LD has some mental blockage now when it comes to seeing trees when on the tee box. He should play the rest of his rounds this year at Golf Club of Illinois, lol.

That is a 100% factual statement. However, after Michigan I don’t know if I can go from courses with the best scenery to a course with the worst aesthetics. I think I just need a heavy dose of modern monstrosities with cartoonishly wide fairways. 

• Haha 1

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Cottonwood 2

Very nice morning at George Dunne. Got lucky with the pace, and therefore the rain. Light sprinkles on the 17th hole, and steady rain as I pulled out of the parking lot. The course is in playable condition. Fairways looked good, and we were getting decent rollout. Rough was a little patchy in spots, but overall a good height. Some of the bunkers looked like they had fresh sand, and a few were groomed, but a number were absolute trash. Hard mud and rocks. The greens looked like they were punched a few weeks ago, but they were healed, and rolling 9 to 10. No complaints on the 3:20 pace. I joined a twosome, and were waited on every shot for six holes before the group ahead let us through on the 7th. We sailed after that. 

Very up and down day. Three birdies and four bogies. Even par on the back. Highlight of the day was my tee shot on the par 3 17th. Nice high draw with a 5h to a center pin that finished 9 feet above the hole. Missed the birdie putt, but more than happy with a stress free par. There was also the deer and her fawn that ran across the 6th fairway. Couldn't get my phone out fast enough to snap a pic. 

A bit of a milestone today so to speak. I started tracking rounds and stats at the start of the 2004 season. Today's round was my 1500th since March '04. I started playing in 6th grade, and played through my sophomore year of college before giving up the game for 15 years. 'Starting playing again in 1998. I'm guessing I've probably hit the 2000 round mark. 

Tomorrow looks like a washout. Next week doesn't look promising either. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

9 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Thinking of driving to southern Illinois tomorrow because of the storms. Any recommended courses? 

How far south? Peoria- WeaverRidge and Metamora are both very fun, not sure of WR conditioning. Red Tail Run and Hickory Point in Decatur are a really underrated 36. Have't been there this year, but the past few years they were in great shape. Haven't played it but my brother likes The Rail in Springfield. Further south (St Louis area) Gateway National and Annbriar are both good. Far Oaks and Stonewolf are fun and in good shape right now. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Steeple Chase on Sunday, never been, so hopefully the weather holds out.

I haven't played there since 2019, but it was solidly in my rotation before then.  2020 was too insane and they've been booked pretty solid this year every time I check.

Really fun course with a great mixture of holes.  

Lot's of "risk/reward" holes that I love going for when you're feeling it.  

FYI- no driving range, but you can go to Countryside down the street to warm up if you so choose.  

• Like 1

G425 LST 10.5 

M5 3 Wood 

G425 17 Hybrid

TM Sim DHY 

Gen 4 0311 P 5-G

Y Grind 55

PM Grind 60 

Scotty Golo 3

On 6/23/2021 at 8:54 PM, ldchristopher said:

Our 72 hole, 2 day Michigan trip wrapped up today. The Medalist is, aesthetically, the nicest course I’ve played. It blows every Chicago area course out of the water and I think it’s better than some Michigan gems like Pilgrims Run and Hemlock. Arg, you’d go picture crazy. The layout is excellent. That said, it’s also hard. Very hard, particularly off the tee as well as between 100-200 yards out on most holes, and with big greens that have a lot of undulation. Bear handled the tighter tee shots better than I did, but I lost my swing by the last few holes. I’ll definitely be back but not for holes 37-54 on a two day, 72 hole, 30 mile all-walking trip. 

The last round was at Angel’s Crossing. Full disclosure: I am an Angel’s mark. If The Medalist is Olympic wrestling then Angel’s Crossing is professional wrestling. I am aware that the comically oversized greens, all of which create a 3-4 club difference on every hole and have what I’m assuming are dinosaur skeletons and elephants buried under them are beyond silly. I am equally aware that Bruce and Jerry Matthews (the course architects) decided to bust out every course gimmick known to man. Fairway bunkers in tee shot landing zones? Check. A fairway that feeds directly into a pond on an otherwise benign par 4? Check. A green on a par 3 that can feed a tee shot 100 yards right to left? Check. Monstrous greenside bunkers that go right up against elevated greens? Check. Forced carries? Check. A footprint (the walk was 8 miles to and from the pro shop) that would make tour stops blush? Check. I totally understand why most reasonable golfers would hate Angel’s Crossing. However, I’m of the opinion that if a golf course is going to embrace gimmicks it should EMBRACE GIMMICKS. Angel’s Crossing is what would happen if a course designer wanted to ensure it only got repeat business from masochistics and that one guy who called Lost Marsh a “gem.” Oh, and me. 

I didn’t realize “the Beave “ started designing courses...wait, sorry...Matthews, not Mathers.

nvm

With no golf yesterday morning I had some free time to do a little online shopping. PXG is having a sale, so I took the plunge and ordered a set of 0311T Gen3 irons (6-P) at $149 a club. Should be here in 2 to 3 weeks, which isn't bad. Ping is currently taking 8 to 10 weeks for custom orders. I was fit at PXG Scottsdale back in December, and I'm glad I didn't drop the $250 a club at that time.

• Like 3

PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

we fared well this morning and were only moderately rained on during the back nine.

had some nice success with fairway shots until I forgot to keep my hands low.

gave myself a modest chastising and things worked some more.

had time for breakfast - great BEC sammich.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

In all my years here I don't recall weather this crazy. More than 5 inches of rain fell in an hour or two in spots. I have a round booked tomorrow morning at The Preserve. I'll see how well the new design holds up.

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

In all my years here I don't recall weather this crazy. More than 5 inches of rain fell in an hour or two in spots. I have a round booked tomorrow morning at The Preserve. I'll see how well the new design holds up.

Pretty amazing how we went from a significant drought to flood stage. Took less than a week. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

Pretty amazing how we went from a significant drought to flood stage. Took less than a week. 

Extreme weather shifts are another byproduct of climate change. It wouldn’t shock me at all if these extremes start happening with greater regularity. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood 2

Bear and I got in an early morning round at Brighton Dale Links White Birch today. I should have stayed home. Whatever I figured out swing-wise at Angel’s Crossing I lost at BDale. Just a disaster of a round. The 15-20 mph winds with 25 mph gusts certainly didn’t help but I just wasn’t comfortable sans a few good holes. Meh. Back at it tomorrow at Stonewall. Afternoon rounds usually produce better results for me. 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood 2

It did get gusty at Brighton Dale this morning.   Hadn’t seen wind like that since this spring.   Course drained decently for how much water they’d gotten the last few days.  

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X Hot 14.5 degrees

TaylorMade 3 Hybrid 19 degrees

Titleist T-MB 716  4-iron

Mizuno MP-25  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52 ,56, 60

Scotty Cameron California Coronado  

12 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

We had the same rain (much worse actually) in the same month in ‘18...washed out the local Western Junior Am.

13 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

5 inches in an hour? I didn’t think that was possible. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Really enjoyed Steeple Chase.  The course either drains well or they didn't get much rain, and as the afternoon went on things really dried out nicely.  Greens were speedy,  the pace was great at 4 hours and overall conditions were solid.  With all the high prices, I felt like this was a real steal at $70.

Came in with 4 birdies, but unfortunately had 3 doubles in the mix along with 2 additional bogies.  Just some bad swings and mental errors. A fun afternoon on what was originally looking like a wash out.

• Like 3

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

I need to make it back out to Steeple Chase, used to be my home course in college for a year and got to play it almost every day for about 3-4 months.    Just don't make it down that way much anymore and when I do it has generally been to Pine Meadow. 

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X Hot 14.5 degrees

TaylorMade 3 Hybrid 19 degrees

Titleist T-MB 716  4-iron

Mizuno MP-25  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52 ,56, 60

Scotty Cameron California Coronado  

12 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Really enjoyed Steeple Chase.  The course either drains well or they didn't get much rain, and as the afternoon went on things really dried out nicely.  Greens were speedy,  the pace was great at 4 hours and overall conditions were solid.  With all the high prices, I felt like this was a real steal at $70.

Came in with 4 birdies, but unfortunately had 3 doubles in the mix along with 2 additional bogies.  Just some bad swings and mental errors. A fun afternoon on what was originally looking like a wash out.

1.5 inches in the last 7 days northern Libertyville/gurnee

at Des Plaines river at 120 

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

We played The Preserve on Saturday.  The starter let us go as a combined 2 some and 3 some and despite the insane weather, got around in barely over 4 hours. The greens drained really well and were shockingly quick.  The fairways were as expected, extremely wet, no roll and plugged lies on occasion.  Have to also praise Greg Martin for the bunker drainage. We obviously had mad amounts of rain but you'd never know it from the condition of the bunkers. Was only in a bunker on 18 and the lie was really fair and dry.

Kudos to whoever set the course up Saturday. They moved every tee box up one to eliminate the effects of the wet fairways.

Will echo the comments above on the cost. We paid $75 and although no one rode, it would have been $100 with golf, cart and balls.  I like the Preserve but it's not a $100 course.

Adding to this post regarding the redesign.  One of the major aspects of the improvement was the ability to handle 40,000,000 gallons of water IIRC. Although we've had a lot of rain recently, it's not the 19 inches we had several years back.  The course was on the verge of flooding and overflowed into the playing areas on several lower holes. 

Going to also throw a shout out to someone who used to be a somewhat regular on the Chicago thread and opened Standard Meadery in Villa Park.  We went there for our post round scoring/payouts, etc. Adam, the owner has created an amazing line of adult beverages in a really nice environment.  These aren't your ancestor's meads from the days of yore.  They're very current and upscale. If you're looking for something a bit unusual but delicious, give them a shot.

Edited by DavePelz4
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

We played The Preserve on Saturday.  The starter let us go as a combined 2 some and 3 some and despite the insane weather, got around in barely over 4 hours. The greens drained really well and were shockingly quick.  The fairways were as expected, extremely wet, no roll and plugged lies on occasion.  Have to also praise Greg Martin for the bunker drainage. We obviously had mad amounts of rain but you'd never know it from the condition of the bunkers. Was only in a bunker on 18 and the lie was really fair and dry.

Kudos to whoever set the course up Saturday. They moved every tee box up one to eliminate the effects of the wet fairways.

Will echo the comments above on the cost. We paid $75 and although no one rode, it would have been $100 with golf, cart and balls.  I like the Preserve but it's not a $100 course.

Adding to this post regarding the redesign.  One of the major aspects of the improvement was the ability to handle 40,000,000 gallons of water IIRC. Although we've had a lot of rain recently, it's not the 19 inches we had several years back.  The course was on the verge of flooding and overflowed into the playing areas on several lower holes. 

Going to also throw a shout out to someone who used to be a somewhat regular on the Chicago thread and opened Standard Meadery in Villa Park.  We went there for our post round scoring/payouts, etc. Adam, the owner has created an amazing line of adult beverages in a really nice environment.  These aren't your ancestor's meads from the days of yore.  They're very current and upscale. If you're looking for something a bit unusual but delicious, give them a shot.

Last year when we played there right after things opened up, the fairway on 13 had clearly flooded out a few days prior and water was riding high in a few other areas.  I don't remember how much rain we had prior, but I think we were a little shocked given one of the big bullet points of the redesign was to keep the course from flooding out.

This year hands down it's the most expensive course I've played at, and the worst shape of all the courses I've played at.  Not to say it's in bad shape, but plenty of courses in the $60-70 range are doing better for sure. 

Standard Meadery is fantastic. 

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Nice morning at The Preserve. $49.50 prepaid to walk Monday through Thursday. Got lucky with the weather. We had a very light drizzle/mist for three holes, and then nothing. Looking at the radar it seems that the rain was passing just north of the course. Worked for me. The course was wet, but playable. Fairways weren't getting much roll, but there was no standing water. There was a small lake in the left rough on the 7th hole ~75 yards from the green, but it didn't really come into play. The wetlands appeared to be doing their job. Earlier this season many of the low areas were bone dry, but today the water was about as high as it could get without spilling into the fairways. Bunkers were wet and compacted. The right greenside bunker on the 8th had basically no sand. Greens looked fine, but due to the overall dampness were rolling no more than 9. Pace was very good (3:20). Went off with two other singles and we never caught the groups in front of us. 

Drove the ball great today (13 fairways), but my wedges were not cooperating. With the wet turf I hit a few a hair heavy, and splat. Fat city. Wound up with one birdie, two bogies, and a double. Lowlight of the day was my poor teeshot on the tenth. For the third time this year I fan it right into the junk. All that room short left and I have to push it right. Double. Highlight was chipping in for par from behind the 8th green. My teeshot found the right front bunker, and my sand wedge bounced off the hardpan on my bunker shot, sailing it over the green. Crazy par.

• Like 3

The key is the height of salt creek for flooding, abs the new course is playable at approx 12ft while at 10 ft, the previous course was under water (unplayable, course closed).

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/il/nwis/uv/?site_no=05531175&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060

Edited by geochitown
Clarifying info
  • Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x