Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Posted (edited)

image.gif.de15617a137931d2fac39035dcc80150.gif

I should qualify it by saying that if one plays 6400+ then the carries are there.

Sure most are manageable, but there are quite a few, hence my post...image.gif.de15617a137931d2fac39035dcc80150.gif

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

Posted (edited)

Played Bittersweet this morning with LD and another friend from out of town. The tee boxes on a number of the holes were in pretty rough shape. They definitely need to rotate the boxes a bit more. Especially, since the tips weren't even out. They should consider moving the blue tees to the tips on a few of the par 3s, just to alleviate some of the stress. 

It was an ok morning. The fairways were absolutely soaked, but the rough was dry. Telltale sign of a course just blasting the sprinklers in the early morning hours. I think I mentioned this when St. Jimmy posted about Bittersweet a few weeks ago, but it is a once-a-year course for me. Because of the target golf and short holes (especially on the front), I find it hard to get a rhythm going with the driver since you rarely hit it. Sure enough, that was the case today. When I needed the driver, it wasn't there. Oh well.

See you in 2022 Bittersweet.

Edited by TheBear95

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TS3 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Ping Anser 2

... Golf courses just like golf swings are just so different and playing a specific yardage may not be the best way to play any given course imo. Aguila, my normal winter house here in Phenix is a great example. It plays 6403 but I think that yardage is very deceiving. 2 of the par 4's play 295 and 277 but are guarded by water all the way to the green so they are lay up holes but obviously very short holes. A extremely difficult par 3 plays 115 but is a crowned green an the effective landing area is probably 25% of the green as most shots roll off in any direction. So adding back at least 225yds from what plays more like 6628. 

... That hides 3 really long par 4's. One is 430 but has a downslope about 250 from the tee so better players can hit the slope and have a mid iron in. The other 2 are 426 and 412 that both play uphill and into the prevailing wind off the tee and both have strategic traps on both sides of the hole. As a better player I love these holes because a great drive, even at age 68, leaves me a mid iron in and a mediocre drive or bad drive forces me to use a long iron, hybrid or fairway wood depending on the wind. With water guarding both uphill holes and the fairway sloping to the water, I appreciate the challenge earned with a bad tee shot. But an 18 index with average carry off the tee will find all 3 play like a par 5. The next set of tees are 5952 so getting normal bodied, average golfers to play those tees is just about impossible. 

... I have come to believe most average players should combo tees when needed. Like playing Prairie Bluff, just move up a tee box on #7, #16 and arguably #14 to give them a better chance at navigating the lone tree. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Tensei Raw Blue 55R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 15*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
Mizuno T-20 M Grind 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

8 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Played Bittersweet this morning with LD and another friend from out of town. The tee boxes on a number of the holes were in pretty rough shape. They definitely need to rotate the boxes a bit more. Especially, since the tips weren't even out. They should consider moving the blue tees to the tips on a few of the par 3s, just to alleviate some of the stress. 

... This is such a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Phoenix is one of the few cities that has more golf courses than Chicago and the amount of really nice courses I play with nice greens and fairways in good shape that have crowned, slanted air even troughs in them are just mind boggling. How hard is it to grade a tee box flat? Very first hole at The Raven which is in amazing shape has no flat spots on the tee box, and I mean really humped. Just no way to start your round with an uneven lie. It is worse here than Chicago but not to sell the Windy City short, I ran into way too many in the 40 years I played there. 

15 minutes ago, chisag said:

... This is such a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Phoenix is one of the few cities that has more golf courses than Chicago and the amount of really nice courses I play with nice greens and fairways in good shape that have crowned, slanted air even troughs in them are just mind boggling. How hard is it to grade a tee box flat? Very first hole at The Raven which is in amazing shape has no flat spots on the tee box, and I mean really humped. Just no way to start your round with an uneven lie. It is worse here than Chicago but not to sell the Windy City short, I ran into way too many in the 40 years I played there. 

Definitely agree. I really don't need the ball above or below my feet on the tee box. I'll enjoy that fun in the rough, haha.

The tee boxes today at Bittersweet were nice and flat, just beat to hell. Too much foot traffic, divots, etc. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TS3 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Ping Anser 2

Was out at Eagle Ridge Galena last weekend. Late Thursday the 9-hole East course. Friday was North/General. Saturday afternoon on the South. Last time we were there was 2 yrs back. Other than the courses getting saturated, and being a little moist in spots, generally the condition of them all was extremely poor. Did not see one maintenance guy for the 3 days. Greens looked like they hadn't been cut for a few days and the holes looked like they were never moved for about the same. Lots of bare patches around the short grass on the holes in the wooded areas and bunkers were terrible. Pretty disappointing considering the high fees they still have there.

20210627_090520.jpg.05907061dc9648b335981e2d2a1b2d64.jpg

20210626_183351.jpg.8fbe4f6a78b02ed61fdee5a5ae173617.jpg

• Sad 2

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

5 hours ago, Woodridge said:

I had a tee time at Nettle Creek for this afternoon, but no carts allowed due to all the rain. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my Sunday bag with. None allowed at Morris CC either and I checked Wedgewood on my way home and it was the same there.

In any event, I've got to get back to walking. I turn 60 this year and have been playing golf for 50 years. It's only in the last 5 that I've started riding. My plantar fasciitis and arthritis in my toes makes it impossible to walk 18 holes. I can do a par 3 course, but I'm still paying for it the next day. I played Whistling Straits and the Irish course back to back about 5 years back and was in agony. I haven't tried to walk 18 since.

I've gone to the Podiatrist on this and have special inserts for my shoes. We talked about injections and perhaps surgery, both of which I'd like to avoid. Has anyone else dealt with this and overcame it?

Yes, I deal with plantars every day. Haven't overcome it. Some days it's manageable. Some days it's quite bad. I have arch supports in all my shoes, and it helps some, but they're no miracle cure. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Frustrating morning at Glencoe. I simply don't understand why groups go off before 7 am and expect to play at a 4+ hour pace. It's even more frustrating when the group is a threesome. They were a hole and a half behind at the turn. The twosome in front of us didn't seem interested in playing through the slowpokes, so we inched our way around the course waiting on every shot. 

The course was wet. In what can only be described as a money grab, they were allowing carts out. Numerous spots were mud holes from the cart traffic. Fairways were getting little rollout. Bunkers were groomed thankfully. The rough was thick. I assume it hasn't been cut in a week. Greens were damp and only rolling 9 at best. 

One birdie and three bogies on the day. Ballstriking has been solid, but couldn't quite get the putter dialed in on the slowish greens. 

• Like 1

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Today is 7/1. The McHenry County Am is the 23/24 ( if anyone is interested).

This year it moved to McHenry CC because Blackstone won’t allow threesomes. I need to practice and play if I have any chance of competing. I get so jealous of you guys in here that gives us rounds update that I cannot wait to retire haha. Good luck to any who sign up and will see you there!

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Quick 9 at Ruffled this afternoon.  Course is soaked, but the greens were surprisingly quick.  Want to destroy a course? Send out your maintenance crew to mow the fairways - right after few days of rain 🤦‍♂️

F025910E-0165-4ACB-B401-2D44C04E27FE.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges.

14 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Yes, I deal with plantars every day. Haven't overcome it. Some days it's manageable. Some days it's quite bad. I have arch supports in all my shoes, and it helps some, but they're no miracle cure. 

I suffered with plantars for almost 2 yrs, my son who was working at UA had a pair of their running shoes with their Speedform outsole that I started wearing everyday (no inserts)

Pain went away after a couple of weeks, never to return.

• Like 1

I'm playing Maple Meadows for the first time this weekend. I just moved to Dupage County, and man, some of the weekend rates out here are just crazy. Nothing under $50 until twilight. $50 to walk at Maple seems fair enough as some of you here have described it favorably. Can anyone give any intel on the course? How's the walk?

walk is fine, only longish walk is from the 3rd to 4th through the tunnel under the entrance

• Thanks 1

Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

2 minutes ago, Wolfhammer said:

I'm playing Maple Meadows for the first time this weekend. I just moved to Dupage County, and man, some of the weekend rates out here are just crazy. Nothing under $50 until twilight. $50 to walk at Maple seems fair enough as some of you here have described it favorably. Can anyone give any intel on the course? How's the walk?

Maple walk is very simple with the exception of the 2 walks across the street as mentioned above. Course is decent with a nice combination of holes, is always in reasonable but never great condition, greens tend to be on the slower side.

Prices... have gotten out of hand after last year. Courses took their full tee sheets and said screw you all for not coming out the last 10 years and took pretty much all discounts away. But $50 is pretty much par for the course around here, if not on the lower end.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, geochitown said:

walk is fine, only longish walk is from the 3rd to 4th through the tunnel under the entrance

I believe the tunnel at Maple Meadows has been closed for a few years. I simply head back to the clubhouse from the 3rd green, and swing around through the parking lot.

I'm playing it on Monday morning. It was $36 prepaid to walk.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ah, the joys of holiday weekend golf. Oy. I managed to grab a $40 walking rate at Chevy Chase. Not my favorite course, but with slim pickings elsewhere I thought it would suffice. With a 7:40 am tee time I thought I could avoid a death march. I guess the early morning rabbits were eaten by coyotes, as it was slow from the opening tee shot. We waited on every shot all day. 4:30 wasn't my idea of fun, but I guess it could have been worse.

Conditions were similar to Glencoe. Fairways were wet, and had numerous mud spots where the carts and/or maintenance vehicles shouldn't have been allowed to drive. The rough was very thick, but they were in the process of cutting it. Bunkers were garbage. More hardpan dirt and rocks than sand. Greens looked fine, and were rolling 9 or so. 

OK round, but the waiting was getting to me. You feel like you have to rush because when it's finally your turn to hit the group behind you has been on your heels for a few minutes. Two birdies and six bogies. The course was playing long, so a few too many long approaches to smallish greens.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

I believe the tunnel at Maple Meadows has been closed for a few years. I simply head back to the clubhouse from the 3rd green, and swing around through the parking lot.

I'm playing it on Monday morning. It was $36 prepaid to walk.

Ha!

Clearly, it's been a while since I've played Maple, probably over 10 years.

I've been across the street a lot but not back to Maple.

I remember getting a ride on the back of the twosome's cart with whom we played.
I was dragging my pushcart behind.

In retrospect, it wasn't such a smart move.

Sunset Valley tomorrow, can't wait, first round in 2 weeks off.

Edited by geochitown

Vokey SM4 52-08F S200

TM TP5x

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2021 at 1:39 PM, chisag said:

... Golf courses just like golf swings are just so different and playing a specific yardage may not be the best way to play any given course imo. Aguila, my normal winter house here in Phenix is a great example. It plays 6403 but I think that yardage is very deceiving. 2 of the par 4's play 295 and 277 but are guarded by water all the way to the green so they are lay up holes but obviously very short holes. A extremely difficult par 3 plays 115 but is a crowned green an the effective landing area is probably 25% of the green as most shots roll off in any direction. So adding back at least 225yds from what plays more like 6628. 

I've played Aguila a lot over the last year and agree with you. I am a short hitter and play the 5952 tees myself, mainly because from the 6403 I have almost no chance at getting on 4 of the par 4's in two shots (#4, #9, #12, #18). I can't tell you how many people I get paired with there (particularly in the age 65+ group) who frankly have no business playing that course from 6403 and hardly hit a green in regulation but stubbornly play from there anyway. It would be nice if they had a rated combo tee on the card somewhere between 5952 and 6403 that moved you up on the longest par 4s. From the 6403 tees, #9 and #18 are extremely difficult pars for the shorter hitter; even if they hit a good drive (despite uphill landing area), they are hitting a 3 wood at a green where anything short and right (#9) or short and left (#18) is probably getting wet.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Ah, the joys of holiday weekend golf. Oy. I managed to grab a $40 walking rate at Chevy Chase. Not my favorite course, but with slim pickings elsewhere I thought it would suffice. With a 7:40 am tee time I thought I could avoid a death march. I guess the early morning rabbits were eaten by coyotes, as it was slow from the opening tee shot. We waited on every shot all day. 4:30 wasn't my idea of fun, but I guess it could have been worse.

Conditions were similar to Glencoe. Fairways were wet, and had numerous mud spots where the carts and/or maintenance vehicles shouldn't have been allowed to drive. The rough was very thick, but they were in the process of cutting it. Bunkers were garbage. More hardpan dirt and rocks than sand. Greens looked fine, and were rolling 9 or so. 

OK round, but the waiting was getting to me. You feel like you have to rush because when it's finally your turn to hit the group behind you has been on your heels for a few minutes. Two birdies and six bogies. The course was playing long, so a few too many long approaches to smallish greens.

Chevy has an interesting history read online...mob connections, secret tunnels.  

Not sure if that’s where Capone shot his foot grabbing sh*t out of his bag or not...but why not?

🤣

• Haha 1

Played an early morning round at bittersweet today. As a little bit of a man erratic player, Ive always hated that course. I was thinking today would be different. Especially after draining a 25 footer for birdie on 1. But, it was much of the same for the below average golfer that I am. 50-50 for a 100 on the day, making my last two rounds 50-50; 50-50. Funny how that works out. A 9 on 9 derailed an okay front 9 today. 

as always, a 9, 2 8’s, and 2 7’s keeping my handicap high, because the rest wasn’t that bad. Minus the putting. 4 3-putts, 3 of them coming with a GIR. Frustrating.

Back to the home course the next 3 days, hopefully I can figure out the putting a little bit there. 

• Like 1

it was a beautiful sunrise at Sunset today.

perfect weather and a great group of guys.

the greens were groomed to perfection. tight and slick.

made every putt easy to slide right past.

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Hogan BH-5, 4-PW
Vokey 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

I’m in Wisconsin for the weekend with my family but with my in-laws also up to bogart time with our daughter I got the green light for 36 holes today with Bear. We played Prairie Woods and Glen Erin. Prairie Woods was very firm, which meant I hit driver 3 times the whole round. That’s fine by me. I have a love/hate relationship with that club and right now we’re not on the best of terms. Anyway, I played pretty well and the course is in good shape. They’re not overwatering and pace was excellent. Being the 3rd group off behind two other walking twosomes also helped. Can’t beat the Holiday weekend walking rate of $26. Two birdies on 5 and 13 and three bogies for a 72. Good start. 
Glen Erin was excellent as always. It was $34 to walk but $64 to ride. I’ve never seen a $30 cart fee before but everyone else was willing to pay it. Insane. It was also playing very firm and drives that stayed in the fairway just kept running out. It’s about 6850 on the scorecard but it plays more like 6500 yards with the firm fairways and elevation changes. Possibly less. No birdies but Bear and I both had plenty of looks. It’s our own mistake we couldn’t cash in. On a holiday weekend celebrating America’s birthday, I had my Lajosi out and Bear had his Newport 2. I know Camerons are milled in the USA but Scotty isn’t a true PATRIOT (and by PATRIOT I mean “delusional loon”) like Mike Johnson, the MyPillow Guy of putter manufacturers. Pirettis will be in our bags tomorrow. 73. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Matera

On 7/2/2021 at 4:06 PM, Bonneville85308 said:

I've played Aguila a lot over the last year and agree with you. I am a short hitter and play the 5952 tees myself, mainly because from the 6403 I have almost no chance at getting on 4 of the par 4's in two shots (#4, #9, #12, #18). I can't tell you how many people I get paired with there (particularly in the age 65+ group) who frankly have no business playing that course from 6403 and hardly hit a green in regulation but stubbornly play from there anyway. It would be nice if they had a rated combo tee on the card somewhere between 5952 and 6403 that moved you up on the longest par 4s. From the 6403 tees, #9 and #18 are extremely difficult pars for the shorter hitter; even if they hit a good drive (despite uphill landing area), they are hitting a 3 wood at a green where anything short and right (#9) or short and left (#18) is probably getting wet.

In the last 5 years, the rare times we don't have a complete group and get paired,  I've only played with one golfer who was good enough to play at 6400+.  Most guys I see between us and get paired with shouldn't be playing at 6400 at any course.  

Got the next week off, playing Big Run on Monday.  Kind of want to get out tomorrow but I don't really feel like playing as a single and getting paired up with people who are slow and bad (I know that sounds awful).

Hopefully playing a few rounds next week beyond Monday.

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Steelfiber FC 

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

8 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

In the last 5 years, the rare times we don't have a complete group and get paired,  I've only played with one golfer who was good enough to play at 6400+.  Most guys I see between us and get paired with shouldn't be playing at 6400 at any course.  

... Amen. Hitting good shots is the worst thing that can happen to the average golfer. You know the ole "Why can't I hit it like that every time?" when they hit a big drive. Of course their average or normal drives are much shorter and crooked but they base their ability of their few really good shots instead of their normal shots.

... Same thing with a fitter hearing their client "normally" hits their driver around 250-275 and then proceeds to never hit even one past 225. My last TaylorMade fitting the guy next to me claimed he hit his driver around 300 and then didn't hit a single drive over 200?!?! When the fitter suggested an A-Flex shaft and started to put it in a Sim2 Max the guy got so pi$$ed he just grabbed his bag and left mumbling about bad range balls, faulty LM and a sh!tty fitter. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Amen. Hitting good shots is the worst thing that can happen to the average golfer. You know the ole "Why can't I hit it like that every time?" when they hit a big drive. Of course their average or normal drives are much shorter and crooked but they base their ability of their few really good shots instead of their normal shots.

... Same thing with a fitter hearing their client "normally" hits their driver around 250-275 and then proceeds to never hit even one past 225. My last TaylorMade fitting the guy next to me claimed he hit his driver around 300 and then didn't hit a single drive over 200?!?! When the fitter suggested an A-Flex shaft and started to put it in a Sim2 Max the guy got so pi$$ed he just grabbed his bag and left mumbling about bad range balls, faulty LM and a sh!tty fitter. 

My back surgery last year has put me down into about the 260 range,  I normally hover in the 275 area and trying to get back up there.  I can't tell you how many guys we play with think my drivers are in the 330 range.  Last week is a perfect example, 10th hole at Steeple Chase I put my drive about a yard off the front of the green and the single was going on about how I hit that drive 360.  I'm like umm no, as the crow flies it's not 360 since it's a pretty good corner you can cut and my drive didn't make it on the green let alone to the middle.  At best it flew 260 and caught the downslope and ran up, ,so all said and done it was about 290 total with a good 30 yards of roll.

People really have no clue how far they're actually hitting the ball. 

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 2

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

My back surgery last year has put me down into about the 260 range,  I normally hover in the 275 area and trying to get back up there.  I can't tell you how many guys we play with think my drivers are in the 330 range.  Last week is a perfect example, 10th hole at Steeple Chase I put my drive about a yard off the front of the green and the single was going on about how I hit that drive 360.  I'm like umm no, as the crow flies it's not 360 since it's a pretty good corner you can cut and my drive didn't make it on the green let alone to the middle.  At best it flew 260 and caught the downslope and ran up, ,so all said and done it was about 290 total with a good 30 yards of roll.

Take it! That's Bryson like!

I'm not a big hitter, but the same occasionally will happen with me. Last month I got paired with a random guy and he was going on and on that I'm hitting it 275+. Ah, no. Yes, I'm hitting fairways, but it's going like 235, lol.

It's why some guys struggle so much. Honestly, they have no idea how far they hit the ball. That makes the game pretty difficult.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TS3 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Ping Anser 2

15 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Take it! That's Bryson like!

I'm not a big hitter, but the same occasionally will happen with me. Last month I got paired with a random guy and he was going on and on that I'm hitting it 275+. Ah, no. Yes, I'm hitting fairways, but it's going like 235, lol.

It's why some guys struggle so much. Honestly, they have no idea how far they hit the ball. That makes the game pretty difficult.

What's funny is the dude had the shortest drive in our group on that hole, he knocked it to about 2 feet and was the only one to birdie the hole, yet he wouldn't shut up about the drive.  You birdied the damn hole, beat us all yet all you cared about was the drive....  it's amazing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

21 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

... So true. At 68 I am pretty long for my age, usually around 260 and of course every now and then really get one out there. But just like you, my HUGE drive of about 285 with everything in my favor from wind to fairway slope, the guys I am playing with think it is not just 300 but well over 300. To be fair, I can hit it 300 and over in the Phoenix winter when they don't water fairways adding in 1200ft of altitude so 50yds of roll or more isn't unique, but of course my carry of around 230 to 240 max is the same. I have found Phoenix to be about 25yds longer off the tee and about 1/2 club more with irons than Chicago. I guess there is a reason old farts retire here LOL! 

• Like 2