Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

After playing there Saturday, I'm still not convinced Cog #1 should qualify as a golf course. When the wicked par 3 10th plays 230 uphill from the Blues to a $%^@# of a green yet the par 5 13th is a 2nd shot 9-iron to big boring flat green, you know something is a bit off.

• Like 3

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

One of the more enjoyable rounds of the summer at The Preserve. Yeah. The humidity was up on the opening holes in the early morning, but once I got out on the 9th hole the breeze picked up a bit, and the lack of trees made for a fairly refreshing walk. Conditions were good. Moderate rollout on the drives. They were in the process of cutting the rough, so while thick it wasn't overly penal. The bunkers were groomed, but they are in need of more sand. Greens were rolling decently, but speed was on the slowish side. They had water jugs out on the course, and I didn't notice the last time I played, but they've opened the new restroom at the turn (in front of the new clubhouse). It has a water station located on the front wall.

Caught a great break with the pace. I was supposed to be joined by a threesome, but they were no-shows. With solid foursomes behind me the starter sent me on my way. I played through two groups on the 3rd and 4th holes, and then it was clear sailing. I saw a couple of twosomes on the back when I was playing the 9th, but otherwise I felt like I had the course to myself. Sweet.

Fun round with two birdies and three bogies. Highlight of the day was reaching the par 5 15th in two after a solid drive, and an even better fairway wood. I had a 10 foot putt for eagle, but I burned the right edge after the thing didn't turn. Ugh. Dead straight. The second highlight was simply not fanning my teeshot in the junk on the 10th. Lol. Instead I pulled it left into the back left rough, and took my medicine with a bogie after being shortsided behind the bunker.

Much better day with the new irons, but I'm still considering taking advantage of the 30 return policy. I was very happy to see that a perfectly struck ball traveled the same yardage as my old Pings. I thought they were losing 10 yards, but it's the result of not hitting them perfectly flush. Of course how often does one flush an iron? 'Not sure if I want to live with a set of irons that can easily fly 10 to 20 yds short with a small mishit. I guess I have a couple more weeks to decide. I should contact PXG to see what they would charge to swap the T heads for P heads. A little extra forgiveness probably wouldn't hurt.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

We played the red and silver at white hawk last week. I really enjoyed the Red course, but I did not like the silver course. The white tees were a little bit long for my taste on the silver course. Lots of forced carry and blind shots on the course. Put one in the drink on 15 with that silly carry over the cattails into a blind green. I feel like they tried too hard on the sliver. Would go back. Will play the gray and black next time. 

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour 65R 44"

Cobra f7 15.5* Aldila NV 75R 42"

Cobra f6 baffler 19* Matrix Code-8 41.5"

Ping G25 23* Oban Devotion 85S

Ping G25 27* Diamana Fubuki 85S

Ping G25 31* Project X Even Flow Blue 85S

Ping g400 8-U AWT 2.0

Cleveland RTX-3 54*, 58*

Ping Karsten Series Craz-e 34"

Ping Hoofer Camo

2 hours ago, HoosierHacker89 said:

We played the red and silver at white hawk last week. I really enjoyed the Red course, but I did not like the silver course. The white tees were a little bit long for my taste on the silver course. Lots of forced carry and blind shots on the course. Put one in the drink on 15 with that silly carry over the cattails into a blind green. I feel like they tried too hard on the sliver. Would go back. Will play the gray and black next time. 

Yeah, the Silver course is very different than the other three nines. It was built in 2006, 10 years after the other three were built. It plays pretty firm but it’s still crazy long and doesn’t really blend with the others. I agree about 6 on Silver. That’s a really dumb hole. In the Spring and Fall the green is more visible because the reeds either haven’t grown in yet or have been weed whacked, but in the middle of summer golfers can’t see anything. They should at least use a taller pin. 

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Cottonwood 2

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Not sure if I want to live with a set of irons that can easily fly 10 to 20 yds short with a small mishit.

accuracy and distance are the keys.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

10 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

accuracy and distance are the keys.

... That reminds me of the yardage books that say something like "long and straight won't hurt you here". LOL when does it? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taylormade  SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Taylormade  SIM2 Max 15*/16.5HL*/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Taylormade  UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
Taylormade  Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Cobra           4-Pw King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Taylormade  MG3 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
Taylormade  MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland     Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"

11 hours ago, chisag said:

... That reminds me of the yardage books that say something like "long and straight won't hurt you here". LOL when does it? 

You ever play Tanna Farms, where they seem to end the fairways on par 5's where people's drives would end up??

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

15 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

You ever play Tanna Farms, where they seem to end the fairways on par 5's where people's drives would end up??

2Wh.gif.31126f89999fe9fdf5e45d4d1a341389.gif

• Like 3

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

I'm on vacation in Panama City Beach, FL playing some golf. I used to live in Atlanta and I remember why I used to hate chipping into the grain around the green. So frustrating! Also, miss the fairway by a yard and you might not ever find your ball again. All in all, still having a great time. 

• Like 2

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

Wait...it only happens on 4 of the 5 par 5's.

It's my favorite feature they use to essentially turn all their par 5's into 3 shot holes!

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Another pleasant morning today. Not knowing how the overnight rain would play out, I booked a cheap round at White Pines West. A little steamy to start the round, but the winds really kicked up and made the humidity bearable. The course was very soft. Fairways had a little rollout. The rough had been cut, so it wasn't overly penal. Bunkers need work. The greens were very soft, and only rolling about 8. Left way too many putts short. OTOH, I was able to hold a number of them that normally would have rolled off the back, so it was likely a wash. The pace was very good at 3:30. I joined a pair of young bogie golfers, and while they didn't set any speed records, they didn't slow things down to the point where I felt like I was waiting. The group ahead was out of sight by the 3rd hole, and there was at least two open holes behind us, so it felt like we had the course to ourselves. 

Another solid round with one birdie and two bogies. Started out with nine straight GIRs and nine pars. Birdied the 10th to go one under until the 17th. Finished bogie bogie. Ugh. The par 2 17th was playing 215 directly into the teeth of the wind. I missed the green left, and hit a poor chip. Could have salvaged an even par round on the final hole with a par, but my approach ran just off the back of the green and sat down in the rough. My chip came up 5 feet short, and I burned the edge with my putt. Alas. I don't think I could have hit those new irons any better, but I'm still a little afraid of the mishits. I wound up taking one extra club on many holes, which turned out to be the right strategy. 

Highlight of the day came on the par 5 11th. It plays close to 600 yds. I hit a solid drive down the middle. I tugged my fairway wood left, and it hit the cart path on the left side. I didn't see how far it traveled, but I figured it would be 130 yds out or so. 'Couldn't find the ball after a short search, but then I looked up at the bridge near the green and the ball was sitting on the path just short of the bridge. I had 75 yds left to the green. Lol. Gotta be the longest fairway wood I've ever hit. 

• Like 4

PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Another pleasant morning today. Not knowing how the overnight rain would play out, I booked a cheap round at White Pines West. A little steamy to start the round, but the winds really kicked up and made the humidity bearable. The course was very soft. Fairways had a little rollout. The rough had been cut, so it wasn't overly penal. Bunkers need work. The greens were very soft, and only rolling about 8. Left way too many putts short. OTOH, I was able to hold a number of them that normally would have rolled off the back, so it was likely a wash. The pace was very good at 3:30. I joined a pair of young bogie golfers, and while they didn't set any speed records, they didn't slow things down to the point where I felt like I was waiting. The group ahead was out of sight by the 3rd hole, and there was at least two open holes behind us, so it felt like we had the course to ourselves. 

Another solid round with one birdie and two bogies. Started out with nine straight GIRs and nine pars. Birdied the 10th to go one under until the 17th. Finished bogie bogie. Ugh. The par 2 17th was playing 215 directly into the teeth of the wind. I missed the green left, and hit a poor chip. Could have salvaged an even par round on the final hole with a par, but my approach ran just off the back of the green and sat down in the rough. My chip came up 5 feet short, and I burned the edge with my putt. Alas. I don't think I could have hit those new irons any better, but I'm still a little afraid of the mishits. I wound up taking one extra club on many holes, which turned out to be the right strategy. 

Highlight of the day came on the par 5 11th. It plays close to 600 yds. I hit a solid drive down the middle. I tugged my fairway wood left, and it hit the cart path on the left side. I didn't see how far it traveled, but I figured it would be 130 yds out or so. 'Couldn't find the ball after a short search, but then I looked up at the bridge near the green and the ball was sitting on the path just short of the bridge. I had 75 yds left to the green. Lol. Gotta be the longest fairway wood I've ever hit. 

Which irons hit the 9 GIR in a row? The new PXG's or your Pings? 

Ping 410 Plus 12*

Callaway X-Hot 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 4 hybrid, XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Titleist T100 7-GW

Titleist Vokey 56*

Mizuno Pro 60*

Putter depends on the day

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

1 hour ago, Woodridge said:

Which irons hit the 9 GIR in a row? The new PXG's or your Pings? 

The PXGs. This was my 4th round with them. I did hit my Ping wedges on the two par 5s though. 

I hit 14 greens in the round. No misses were with a new iron. Three were with a hybrid, 7w, and gap wedge. On one hole I had to punch out of the trees after a poor drive, and I hit a sand wedge for my third.

They're certainly working, but they require a ton of focus. Lol. I guess I just got sloppy with the Pings. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 1

Back to White Hawk today for the Black/Silver combo. The novelty of a 36 hole course is I can go back and get a different nine a week later. The punishment  is playing the Silver course again, but someone there reads WRX because they cut the cattails down completely on 6. The green is totally visible now. Nice little hole. Just have to take my tee shot over the elm trees to a blind landing area. Tim Nugent, you’re not your father. Anyway, it was supposed to be Gray to Silver but two guys showed up ahead of me and took the 6:53. They were only playing nine but I would have sat behind them for half the round. Ya know, because carts play faster, he said sarcastically (just so there’s no confusion). I thought tee times started at 7:00. For the public they do; not for members. The starter was cool and sent me off Black instead. Such a fun layout. At a shade over 3100 yards, it’s not long but it’s loaded with hazards. My ball striking was excellent as I hit 6 fairways and 7 greens on Black and 6 fairways and 5 greens on Silver for a 73. Two birdies on 3 Black and 5 Silver with plenty of quality looks. 

Round two was at Aberdeen. With the morning dew off and replaced by high 80’s heat and dew point of 72° some of the shine of Aberdeen wore off from the last time I was there. There is a lot of crab grass in the rough and the bunkers ranged from pristine to unplayable. The greens were firm but slow. An odd combo. However, it’s still a great layout with a nice mixture of scoring holes and challenging holes. I walked in a shade over 3 hours and was home in time to pick up my daughter from daycare while my wife pours drinks at Covidpalooza. A curious choice by her. Anyway, more great ball striking with 11 fairways and 12 greens. Only one birdie on 10 but only one bogey on 6 for a 72. 

Quick story: I got there about 20 minutes before my tee time and ordered a hot dog and water. While I’m eating, an old Boomer walks in, goes up to the girl behind the counter (guessing a Valpo student based on age) and says, “Hey sweetie, you have a boyfriend yet? You know I need to okay him first, right?” This guy checked every stereotype box: fat, white, s—-eater grin on his face. I said “Creepy” a little too loud and the person who got me the hot dog said that guy comes in and says something similar every day. That…umm…doesn’t make it better. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Cottonwood 2

1 hour ago, Symphonize said:

My fiancée and I had our offer accepted today on a house. Has a 3 car garage with high ceilings. I’m thinking sim with the extra space. What are you guys thinking? 

Do it!! A sim just for the winter months would be worth it. Congrats on the house.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist 816 H1 19*

Titleist TS3 23*
Sub 70 639 CBs (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 48*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan 612

7 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I booked a cheap round at White Pines West.

recently played there in an outing. liked my group, though not a fan of outings.

most are notoriously slow and disorganized. this was no exception.

the course was in the shape you describe, bunkers I observed were mostly crunchy.

we only needed to hit from one, so a non-issue.

my pals were really feeling the heat, round taking about five + to get thru.

OK place for a round with pals that live nearby.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
not flashy, reliable

2 hours ago, Symphonize said:

My fiancée and I had our offer accepted today on a house. Has a 3 car garage with high ceilings. I’m thinking sim with the extra space. What are you guys thinking? 

... Congrats and good for you two! I went thru that this past winter in Phoenix and every offer was countered with "We have a $50,000-75,000 over the listed price offer. Are you willing to beat that?" I told my agent I didn't even want to pay the offer price let alone an extra 50k LOL. And these were homes selling for $325 - 375k not million dollar homes. I had to go new construction in early March and bad news: it is a 9 month build. Good news: already gone up $35k in 4 months. This housing market is insane so glad to hear you got what you wanted. 

• Like 2

Taylormade  SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Taylormade  SIM2 Max 15*/16.5HL*/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Taylormade  UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
Taylormade  Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Cobra           4-Pw King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Taylormade  MG3 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
Taylormade  MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland     Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"

2 hours ago, Symphonize said:

congrats on the house purchase.

let me know if you need some old lawn chairs, extra garden hose, rusty shovel, etc.

all garages should have up with that kind of stuff.

a close friend did the sim thing. it's great.

same kind of garage you described.

he added another circuit to support a heater for the offseason months. 

smart idea and it worked out really well.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
not flashy, reliable

8 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

congrats on the house purchase.

let me know if you need some old lawn chairs, extra garden hose, rusty shovel, etc.

all garages should have up with that kind of stuff.

a close friend did the sim thing. it's great.

same kind of garage you described.

he added another circuit to support a heater for the offseason months. 

smart idea and it worked out really well.

thanks everyone! 
garage already has a heater installed haha

• Like 2

8 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

recently played there in an outing. liked my group, though not a fan of outings.

most are notoriously slow and disorganized. this was no exception.

the course was in the shape you describe, bunkers I observed were mostly crunchy.

we only needed to hit from one, so a non-issue.

my pals were really feeling the heat, round taking about five + to get thru.

OK place for a round with pals that live nearby.

The course could use some variety on the par 4s and 5s. Maybe a dogleg, and one or two short par 4s. It's a good workout for my new irons, as I can hit them on 12 of the holes. Wilmette, Glencoe, and Maple Meadows have too many short 4s that leave a gap wedge in or less. 

The greens are boring as heck. Maybe two or three that present any real challenge. They're pretty much all round and flat. 

Heading up to Thornberry golf course in Oneida, WI for 27 holes of hickory tomorrow. Hoping the rain holds off. 

• Like 1

Ping 410 Plus 12*

Callaway X-Hot 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 4 hybrid, XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Titleist T100 7-GW

Titleist Vokey 56*

Mizuno Pro 60*

Putter depends on the day

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Making the trek to Byron tomorrow for some natural and potentially man-influenced radiation. Looking like a beautiful day to play a really fun track.  Picked up a Group Golfer over the winter and playing PV for the low, low cost of $25.00. Can it get much better than that?

Edited by DavePelz4
  • Like 3

The lower humidity and breezy conditions this morning were quite welcome. Coyote Run today. Conditions were generally good. I wouldn't call the fairways firm, but there was some rollout. Rough was a good height. Bunkers were groomed, but a few needed more sand, e.g. front greenside bunker on the 5th. Greens were on the slow side, 9 at best. Unrepaired ballmarks were completely out of control. How do you get a half dozen within 15 feet of the pin? That's just pure laziness. I think I repaired over 50 today. I fixed over a dozen on the par 4 4th alone. Sickening. I got lucky with the pace again. I was supposed to be with a twosome, but they got there 25 minutes early, and headed out. There was solid foursomes behind me, so no point in hanging around. The foursome in front of me was kind enough to let me tee off with them, and then jump ahead on the 2nd. I eventually caught the twosome on the 9th hole, and when they stopped for a beer break at the turn, I had an empty course until the final two holes. No complaints there.

It's a crazy game. Lol. I think I left my swing at White Pines yesterday. I have to call their pro shop to see if anyone found it. Sheesh. I can't blame the new irons today, because pretty much everything was off at some point during the round. Driver, irons, wedges, putter. Only 7 greens. I did manage a few good up and downs, but not enough to salvage the round. No birdies and seven bogies. I definitely let the wind get in my head today. A little too much trying to flight the ball down, and not enough just hit the ball easy. Hopefully I'll locate the swing on Monday.

• Like 2

Was suppose to play Heritage Bluffs tomorrow, but due to a variety of reasons with the other guys it was cancelled and the "alternates" in our group all went out of town on the same weekend.  I wish I had more interest in showing up and getting paired with random people, but given what I see 99% of the time on the course, I think I'd just be annoyed if I got paired with a clown, so looks like I'll be taking the weekend off.

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy