Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

3 hours ago, cwb12 said:

Haven't played much in Chi since moving to Florida but back in a few weeks and can get 1 round in on Sunday the 22nd early in the morning NW Burbs. What out of these should I look at first, not knowing what remodels have been done over the past 6-8 years. Working on any Private connections i have but for Public tracks:

Chevy Chase

Arboretum

Mt. Prospect

Buffalo Grove

CB

I have always been a big fan of Hilldale. I never see it mentioned on here, but when I worked in Schaumburg I'd sneak out and play 9 or 18 during the summer after work. There are a bunch of good holes, and 1 or 2 poor ones. Conditions were great, and the greens rolled pretty fast with some nice undulation to them. Take a look at Hilldale, isn't too far from some of the courses you mentioned. 

• Like 1

i'd recommend renovated Schaumburg over Hilldale.

Mt Prospect gets my vote for the 4 that you listed

"Cray-Cray" Makray GC in Barrington (formerly Thunderbird) off 14 just beyond Palatine in Barrington could also be an option

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

14 minutes ago, propman said:

Posted about this in the Indiana section a few weeks ago. Elbel Park is worth checking out in South Bend. Beats the crap out of the vast majority of Chitown area courses, imho.

Good to know, we just completed our annual Michigan trip which consists of Whittaker Woods as the staple for Sunday and rotating courses for Saturday.  The house we stay at is right on the Michigan/Indiana border so we decided to play a double on Saturday of Blackthorn/Warren Course this year.   First time at both for all of us.  What a treat! 

We all liked Blackthorn better than Warren Course.  Layout was more enjoyable and conditions were better.  We played Blackthorn from tips at 7150 and Warren at 6600 ish.  I honestly cannot wait to play Blackthorn again, it may become a staple for the Saturday round.  If I had to rank them, it would be Whittaker a close 1st due to scenery, then Blackthorn and then Warren.  Cost at Blackthorn and Warren was excellent for a Saturday.

The ultimate thank you to the 70 year old who joined us at Warren.  Never in my life have I seen such a pretty swing at that age.   It is actually better than just about every recreational golfer I have seen.  I am thirty years younger and he was within 10-30 yards of me every drive.  I never believe any stranger who tells me their handicap and he said he was a 3.  However, he played by the rules, putted everything out and I honestly think he was telling the truth.  It was the highlight of the trip for me, what an enjoyable experience. 

• Like 1

I found Elbel Park by accident. I was staying at my in-laws place near Plymouth. Just started googling courses and found it. We were fortunate to get paired up with two SB locals. One of which was a 4 capper and who plays Elbel twice a week.

Fortunate for us as Elbel has a number of doglegs and it was great having someone familiar with course which is tree lined and has that old fashioned country club vibe to it.

15 hcp

11 hours ago, Shriner said:

Good to know, we just completed our annual Michigan trip which consists of Whittaker Woods as the staple for Sunday and rotating courses for Saturday.  The house we stay at is right on the Michigan/Indiana border so we decided to play a double on Saturday of Blackthorn/Warren Course this year.   First time at both for all of us.  What a treat! 

We all liked Blackthorn better than Warren Course.  Layout was more enjoyable and conditions were better.  We played Blackthorn from tips at 7150 and Warren at 6600 ish.  I honestly cannot wait to play Blackthorn again, it may become a staple for the Saturday round.  If I had to rank them, it would be Whittaker a close 1st due to scenery, then Blackthorn and then Warren.  Cost at Blackthorn and Warren was excellent for a Saturday.

The ultimate thank you to the 70 year old who joined us at Warren.  Never in my life have I seen such a pretty swing at that age.   It is actually better than just about every recreational golfer I have seen.  I am thirty years younger and he was within 10-30 yards of me every drive.  I never believe any stranger who tells me their handicap and he said he was a 3.  However, he played by the rules, putted everything out and I honestly think he was telling the truth.  It was the highlight of the trip for me, what an enjoyable experience. 

Is the Blarney hole open at Blackthorn? They had it closed the last time I played there. 'Great idea to get the breakfast ball out of the way.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Enjoyable morning at Sunset Valley. The course was in good shape, although they appear to have hired the head greenskeeper from Highlands of Elgin. When did they start watering the heck out of the place? The teeboxes were very wet. The bunkers were wet. The areas directly in front of the greens were soggy. Our group had a number of balls stop dead just in front of the greens. Pfffttt. The rough was a perfect height. Greens looked very good, and only had a small number of unrepaired ballmarks. Speed was very good. They were rolling a good 10 in the damp early morning, and probably pushing 11 by the end of the round. Pace was excellent at 3:40.

Ooof. Not quite the day I wanted. One birdie and way too many others. Three fairways? Not the recipe for scoring. 

Highlight of the day was courtesy of my two playing partners. On the par 3 6th the first tees it up, and proceeds to shank it towards the 7th teebox. The ball lands on the bridge, and bounces over the creek. One in a million shot. We got a good laugh out of it. His buddy then tees it up, and yup, you know where this is going, proceeds to shank the ball on to the bridge. We pretty much lost it. I don't think there are enough zeros available to calculate the odds. Second funniest thing was my second shot on the long par 4 5th. After a horrendous pulled drive into the left rough, I had a clear shot left of the big tree. Of course I blocked my shot right into the tree. I didn't see or hear the ball land, and asked my partners if they saw it. Both said no. As I reached into my bag for another ball the original one fell out of the tree. I swear it must have been up there for a good 15 seconds like a pachinko machine.

It looks like storms will be moving in tonight with rain possible in the morning. I'll get up early and check the weather to see if I can stay dry somewhere.

• Like 4

Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

... edited.

Edited by chisag
  • Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 65R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max Hy 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
TaylorMade MG3 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

4 hours ago, Shriner said:

Actually didn't notice Argonne!

For those who haven't played Blackthorn, the 'Blarney' hole is the course's 0th hole. It's a short par 4 that tees off near the clubhouse, and finishes near the 1st tee. It's basically a practice hole that allows one to get the breakfast ball out of the way. It's the next best thing to the practice holes at Prairie Landing. 

Midlane this afternoon. Bear and I got out ahead of their Men's League. Man, the ongoing drought in Lake County is hitting that course hard. The rough is basically all hardpan and the water hazard on 17 is completely dried out. The fairways were fine, though I wasn't in many of them today. I struggled with the driver and only hit 4. That didn't stop me from racking up pars though. The novelty of having rough that's rock hard is the fact that balls just keep running. The greens were crazy slow. Another example of a course that purposely runs the greens slow, which in turn means every approach leaves a crater. They're trying to gradually cut costs there by shrinking the size of the greens. The comical result is very large fringes on every hole. I only play there once a year but I'm told they were not like that early in the season. Anyway, despite the driver difficulties I hit 12 greens and finished with a 74. We've got two rounds booked for Saturday and hopefully I can get in a round tomorrow afternoon after I set up my classroom. Schools start too early. I miss the CPS calendar. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Cottonwood 2

44 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

The rough is basically all hardpan and the water hazard on 17 is completely dried out. The fairways were fine

Thanks for the review. I'd been asking about Midlane.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

When did they start watering the heck out of the place? The teeboxes were very wet.

recently noticed a tendency to sink at the tee box while addressing the ball.

some areas had enough to describe it as casual water.

last weekend the approaches had some saturated spots. not sure if the drainage is poor or as you say, overwatered.

that bridge? saw a shot bounced off the railing a couple weeks ago. the player was not proud.

• Haha 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

Village Links later today. Hopefully not too many instances of PBS.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Found a hot deal at Odyssey tomorrow, I probably haven't played there in 5+ years so hopefully it'll be a solid afternoon out. 

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Village Links later today. Hopefully not too many instances of PBS.

PBS? Anything like IBS? 

The weather was much nicer than expected today, but I got out of bed a little too late to grab a tee time at a proper course, so I headed down to Jackson Park. Conditions were above average for JP. The greens looked nice, and actually had fewer unrepaired ballmarks than Dubs. 'Probably because the players at JP simply don't hit many greens. Lol. Speed was very slow, though. 8 at best. Bunkers are awful. Pace was very good at 3:30. More than acceptable. 

Basically a practice round today. I was hitting less than driver on a lot of holes to have mid irons into the greens. My new irons are heading back to PXG. I ordered the 0311P Gen3's to replace them. 

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

Wilmette tomorrow afternoon.  I think I played it once or twice, but can’t remember a single thing about the course.   
Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday.  There was an outing right in front of us, so not surprisingly the round took almost 5 hours.  Luckily we started at ~2:50 - I guess only 1 or 2 foursomes got a chance to finish after us.  My game is a complete mess.   Literally nothing is working!  Only positive was the birdie on 15, promptly followed by a triple on 16.  

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges.

1 hour ago, stasek said:

Wilmette tomorrow afternoon.  I think I played it once or twice, but can’t remember a single thing about the course.   
Played Ruffled Feathers yesterday.  There was an outing right in front of us, so not surprisingly the round took almost 5 hours.  Luckily we started at ~2:50 - I guess only 1 or 2 foursomes got a chance to finish after us.  My game is a complete mess.   Literally nothing is working!  Only positive was the birdie on 15, promptly followed by a triple on 16.  

For me, there is a direct correlation with how well I play and how long the round takes.

• Like 2

15 hcp

6 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

The weather was much nicer than expected today, but I got out of bed a little too late to grab a tee time at a proper course, so I headed down to Jackson Park. Conditions were above average for JP. The greens looked nice, and actually had fewer unrepaired ballmarks than Dubs. 'Probably because the players at JP simply don't hit many greens. Lol. Speed was very slow, though. 8 at best. Bunkers are awful. Pace was very good at 3:30. More than acceptable. 

Basically a practice round today. I was hitting less than driver on a lot of holes to have mid irons into the greens. My new irons are heading back to PXG. I ordered the 0311P Gen3's to replace them. 

I was out at Jackson Park today as well. First group out and we were cruising. Some (most) of the bunkers are unplayable. Rocks and mud everywhere. Otherwise, the conditions at JP have been pretty solid all year. I had my sights set on breaking 90 for the first time today. Then I put up a double on 17 and another on 18. The hunt continues.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wolfhammer said:

I was out at Jackson Park today as well. First group out and we were cruising. Some (most) of the bunkers are unplayable. Rocks and mud everywhere. Otherwise, the conditions at JP have been pretty solid all year. I had my sights set on breaking 90 for the first time today. Then I put up a double on 17 and another on 18. The hunt continues.

17 is a tough hole. I've played the course over 50 times, and I've probably had a par on it fewer than 10 times. 

18 is gettable if one isn't greedy. Hit driver and you can easily wind up in the trees. I hit a 6 iron off the tee today, and had a gap wedge into the green. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

17 is a tough hole. I've played the course over 50 times, and I've probably had a par on it fewer than 10 times. 

18 is gettable if one isn't greedy. Hit driver and you can easily wind up in the trees. I hit a 6 iron off the tee today, and had a gap wedge into the green. 

Jackson Park is perfect for the greedy...bombs away on all the short par 4’s!

😎

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

Jackson Park is perfect for the greedy...bombs away on all the short par 4’s!

😎

Lol. Say "Hi" to the squirrels for me.

36 in Southern Wisconsin today with Bear. Brighton Dale Links White Birch for round one, which is a course that has had my number all season. Well, I got some revenge today with a 2 over 74. It was in pretty good condition and got a bit of much-needed rain over night. The greens were running at their usual 9 but they were very smooth. Next week they host the Kenosha County Open, which means some of the truly tough holes there will be at their absolute max length (hello par 3 12th, which will be playing about 285). 

Round two was at Edgewood Pines in Big Bend. It’s a semi-private that’s kept in okay shape but runs some of the slowest greens I’ve putted on all season. No exaggeration: they were stimping at 5.5 or 6 max, and that was before the rain that came on 16. My ball striking was really crisp, with 12 greens and two birdies on 1 and 18. Only one bogey (on 5) for a -1 71. The pace was terrible and a lot of the guys on the course were acting like there wasn’t a heavy storm coming directly at us or anything. Absolutely no urgency. Bad pace doesn’t negatively impact me like it does a certain Bear. He looked like he was about to strangle the foursome in front of us, as they did their usual cart guy Benny Hill sketch come to life. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood 2

47 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

36 in Southern Wisconsin today with Bear. Brighton Dale Links White Birch for round one, which is a course that has had my number all season. Well, I got some revenge today with a 2 over 74. It was in pretty good condition and got a bit of much-needed rain over night. The greens were running at their usual 9 but they were very smooth. Next week they host the Kenosha County Open, which means some of the truly tough holes there will be at their absolute max length (hello par 3 12th, which will be playing about 285). 

Round two was at Edgewood Pines in Big Bend. It’s a semi-private that’s kept in okay shape but runs some of the slowest greens I’ve putted on all season. No exaggeration: they were stimping at 5.5 or 6 max, and that was before the rain that came on 16. My ball striking was really crisp, with 12 greens and two birdies on 1 and 18. Only one bogey (on 5) for a -1 71. The pace was terrible and a lot of the guys on the course were acting like there wasn’t a heavy storm coming directly at us or anything. Absolutely no urgency. Bad pace doesn’t negatively impact me like it does a certain Bear. He looked like he was about to strangle the foursome in front of us, as they did their usual cart guy Benny Hill sketch come to life. 

Seems to be the theme of the season. Darkness or rain coming? What, me worried? 

spacer.png

• Like 2

The level of buffoonery I saw for our round 2 was rather shocking. And, at this point, it takes a lot to shock me on the course.

The storm that came through was really nasty and very dangerous. Lots of lightning, with numerous cloud-to-ground strikes. You know, the kind that kills golfers.

While the storm was bad, it did not appear out of nowhere. It was very clear for a good hour that it was inbound. Of course, the foursome in front of us played slower. By the time they got to #15, they were a hole and a half behind and the storm was coming. I do not screw around with lightning. At that point, I started huffing it back to the clubhouse. On my way back, I passed them. They were getting mixed drinks from the cart girl, lol. 

Like I said, this storm was nasty. It came in with a ton of lightning, but no rain. So, I watched as these groups continued to play. All dumbasses. This included watching numerous cloud-to-ground strikes all in the vicinity of the course. Only when the rain came, did the groups finally come-in. Because, it's getting wet that's going to kill you.

When the storm passed, we headed back out to finish the round. An old oak tree left of the #16 green was split in half from a lightning strike. Very lucky no one was killed today.

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TS3 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan 612

It's been a long time since I've played the Odyssey, and I'm reminded today why.  Tees and fairways were kind of a mess and the bunkers were nothing but mud.  The greens rolled decent but were littered with craters. 

I rolled in 45 minutes and saw a group of 3 going off and then nothing until we teed off.   I thought we'd have a nice pace today,  nope, we caught the group by 4 where the entire course was backed up.   We get to 17 when the range asks how the pace is.   I told him he should know,  he's the guy who sent us off, but we're working on a 5 hour round.  He just drove off.   5 hours and 8 minutes was the round based on my GPS.

Game was decent,  2 birdies, both on part 3s.  Closed it out with bogies on the 3 finishing holes for a 77.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Everything about Edgewood Pines was crazy in that “definitely never returning” way. Bear touched on the sheer idiocy of the clientele. The tree that was split in half by lightening was less than 100 yards from the 16th green. All four guys putted out as I just tried desperately to find shelter. It wasn’t a case of a group of people with death wishes, it was just a case of room temperature IQs. The course itself, as I found out the hard way, has zero shelters on the course. I foolishly assumed there would be something that kept golfers safe without going all the way to the clubhouse. Nope. I don’t ask for much on a golf course. Decent greens, bunkers with sand, rangers who make sure people keep pace with inclement weather approaching (I’ve played enough golf in my life; I’m not naive enough to think that if I tee off at a course on a Saturday at 10:30 AM when the weather is decent people will make any effort to play in under 4:30), and flat tee boxes. Usually even the dumpiest courses give me two of four. Not Edgewood Pines, where…umm…the tee boxes were flatish? 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood 2