Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

6 hours ago, Ryan3773 said:

Coming down tomorrow to play Shepard’s crook and thunderhawk.

any insight as to how wet those courses are? Like is there standing water?

No specifics but it was cart party only only at several courses in that area today based on my FB feed.  As long as there's no rain tonight, they'll probably be soft but good to go. 

Edited by MountainKing

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

7 hours ago, Ryan3773 said:

Coming down tomorrow to play Shepard’s crook and thunderhawk.

any insight as to how wet those courses are? Like is there standing water?

Shepherd's -

the run up approaches may be soggy so either stay back 15-20 yards or shoot for the greens.

once you're on the course, you'll see what actual conditions are.

the place has good drainage overall and the greens should be in very nice condition.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

VNutz and I were supposed to have a second go at Rich Harvest Farms yesterday but due to Monday and yesterdays storms, the course was closed with downed trees, etc.  Hoping to have that rescheduled shortly.

Ended up at Blackstone which didn't have damage but a lot of rain. The greens started off slow but by the back 9, with the wind, they were the traditional Blackstone speed.  Played with a member at Blackstone and on the first tee we were paired up with 2 young bucks.  Seemed like nice enough guys.  The first of the two put his tee shot in the water on the right and the second had hit 4 shots and wasn't at the 150 yard sprinkler head yet.  On 3, more of the same, on 4 more of the same. After hitting my second on 4, I turned to see that they were gone.  Either they got sucked up in a black hole, teleported to another dimension or they just drove off without saying a word.  For Pete's sake, at least have a bit of respect and tell people what you're doing. As a 2 some in the middle of all 4 somes, we naturally waited on each shot. Still a fun round but couldn't they at least shared their plan?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Ryan3773 said:

Thank you!

FYI, 2 inches of rain over the last 3 days up north (Gurnee), so you should be good playing Shepherd's Crook tomorrow, as has been said. 

My guess is Shepherd's drains better than Thunderhawk, so it's better that you're playing Shepherd's before Thunderhawk.

Are you playing 36 tomorrow? or both courses over 2 days.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

9 minutes ago, Shriner said:

Wow, clubhouse looks excellent!  This really has become quite the golf complex, great to see.

Yeah. At less than $50 to walk (prepaid) Monday through Thursday it's becoming my go to course. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Talked with Shepherd's Crook pro shop and they've had less rain up in Zion, it appears.

They haven't had to put course on CPO, so that should bode well for rounds in the next few days.

Going up there on Saturday, and I'm excited to see the new patio setup.  Sounds like they built it out on the east side facing the 9th and 18th holes (of course) and off the south end as well.

• Like 3

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

10 hours ago, geochitown said:

FYI, 2 inches of rain over the last 3 days up north (Gurnee), so you should be good playing Shepherd's Crook tomorrow, as has been said. 

My guess is Shepherd's drains better than Thunderhawk, so it's better that you're playing Shepherd's before Thunderhawk.

Are you playing 36 tomorrow? or both courses over 2 days.

Played both today

shepards crook had a few damp spots, but not bad at all.

thunder hawk was a little worse, not terrible at all. Nothing rolled out all day, had a few long irons stick and come back on fairways though, so that course played super long.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ryan3773 said:

Played both today

shepards crook had a few damp spots, but not bad at all.

thunder hawk was a little worse, not terrible at all. Nothing rolled out all day, had a few long irons stick and come back on fairways though, so that course played super long.

That's a quality day of golf, nice!

Any comments on the greens at both courses?

Thanks!!!

TM TP5x

My golf partner at Carillon is going back into Covid lockdown (his words) and is done for 2021. So, I'll be playing the rest of the season at Morris and Nettle Creek which is a good thing as I have 16 cart passes to use up before year's end. 

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Ping Anser 2 2021 34" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Today's waterlogged round at George Dunne was brought to you by the words "splat", "squish", and "splash." Yeah, a little wet out there. It was made somewhat worse by the fact that they were mowing the fairways, so in addition to the mud balls, you got to clean up grass clippings every few minutes. Bunkers were trash. Most had standing water in them, and a few had pumps going. The greens looked good, and were rolling at least 9. Pace was reasonable at 3:50. I was supposed to be paired with a threesome, but two were no shows. The two of us waited on most shots, but luckily my playing partner grew up in the same suburb as me, and we killed time by trading stories of our youth. Lol. 

Solid game today in spite of the course playing long. Two birdies and four bogies. Highlight of the day was chipping in for birdie on the 11th from a dicey lie in the rough, but on the next hole I sank a sweet 30 foot putt to save par. The new putter worked much better today after I adjusted my stance. I was standing a little too close to the ball, and was getting the heel up in the air. Made more than a few 6 to 10 footers. 

• Like 2

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 hour ago, Shriner said:

PrairieView tomorrow morning for our annual round out there and looking like an absolutely gorgeous day.  Very curious to see how the course plays after it was concrete during our round last year.  I am guessing the recent rain softened it up.

We played there last Saturday and it honestly could have used some precipitation. Not sure how much they received but think you'll have great conditions.

8 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

standing a little too close to the ball, and was getting the heel up in the air.

isn't that the Furyk stance?

😉

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

59 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

isn't that the Furyk stance?

😉

I probably copied it from Steve Stricker. 

spacer.png

Edited by Argonne69

22 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Today's waterlogged round at George Dunne was brought to you by the words "splat", "squish", and "splash." Yeah, a little wet out there. It was made somewhat worse by the fact that they were mowing the fairways, so in addition to the mud balls, you got to clean up grass clippings every few minutes. Bunkers were trash. Most had standing water in them, and a few had pumps going. The greens looked good, and were rolling at least 9. Pace was reasonable at 3:50. I was supposed to be paired with a threesome, but two were no shows. The two of us waited on most shots, but luckily my playing partner grew up in the same suburb as me, and we killed time by trading stories of our youth. Lol. 

Solid game today in spite of the course playing long. Two birdies and four bogies. Highlight of the day was chipping in for birdie on the 11th from a dicey lie in the rough, but on the next hole I sank a sweet 30 foot putt to save par. The new putter worked much better today after I adjusted my stance. I was standing a little too close to the ball, and was getting the heel up in the air. Made more than a few 6 to 10 footers. 

3:50 at George Dunne is speed golf.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Open house this afternoon at TPC-Northbrook.

clubhouse and patio areas turned out really nice.

building has the proshop to the west , central bar and eating spot, then east room plus the outdoor space. another inside room rentable for meetings, etc.

two indoor sims.

range has trackman, though I didn't wade into the crowd to explore as far too many were unmasked.

starting areas were changed and refreshed.

no walking past number 1 tee/18 green so we didn't get to see into the depth of the course yet.

small practice area near main tee 1 was expanded and the another practice green behind the clubhouse was enhanced.

no more starter sheds - lecterns placed at Classic 1 and East 1.

active theme is really to get people to play from correct tees.

scorecards noted on the inside flap to take your range drive distance and match it to a tee box color.

five tee choices on the Classic 18, plays from 4657 to 6309. (old 5133/6278)

six tees on the East 9, plays from 1878 to 3044. (old 2661/3010)

they upgraded the ball dispenser - works with an app or plastic.

so glad we will have the local range back.

bet the place will be busy.

0815210813.jpg

Edited by @_the_crook
Pic
  • Like 4

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Another Saturday afternoon at Prairie Bluffs.  Course was in great shape,  greens a little slow but they rolled nice.   Props to them having rangers out moving things along, packed course and played in 3:50.

My front 9 was a mess.   A three putt, missed the greens on both par 5s from 60 yards, a double on 9 for a 42. Got through the back a little better with two birdies and two bogeys for a 36.  Great afternoon for golf.   Stonehenge tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Playing the Sanctuary in New Lenox for the first time Sunday.  Is it walkable?  Thanks 

Cobra RADspeed XB Driver, Evenflow Riptide CB 50 stiff

TEE c721 3 Wood, rdx smoke blue 60 stiff

TEE c721 3 Hybrid, Mitsubishi C6 70 Reg

Cobra f6 4/5 Hybrid, GD Tour ad-hy 70 Reg

Mizuno jpx919 HM pro 5i-gw, c-taper lite Reg

Titleist sm4 sand wedge, F grind, Tour 105 Reg

Titleist sm5 lob wedge, M grind, Tour 105 Reg

Rife Island Series Aruba Putter

1 hour ago, Mr Smooth said:

Playing the Sanctuary in New Lenox for the first time Sunday.  Is it walkable?  Thanks 

Yes, very walkable.

• Like 1

Back to Stonehenge today.  Nothing new to report on the course.   Fun layout,  good shape,  no ball marks on the greens and a 3:30 pace at 10:30 on a Sunday.  It's great playing a course that's all about golf and the members don't mess around.

Weird day with my game.   A couple three putts, a birdie and a quadruple to end up with a 79.  Wasn't hitting much solid,  but other than the quad, none of the shots killed me.  It did help that I got up and down 7 times.   Great weather this weekend. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Saturday at Spring Valley and Sunday at Oak Grove.  

Spring Valley had the better over all conditions.  Forgot how much of a shooting gallery it is though.  Balls were flying in from all directions.  

• Like 3

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

30 minutes ago, St Jimmy said:

Saturday at Spring Valley and Sunday at Oak Grove.  

Spring Valley had the better over all conditions.  Forgot how much of a shooting gallery it is though.  Balls were flying in from all directions.  

Yeah, gotta keep your head on a swivel when at Spring Valley. I find the tee boxes on #14 and #18 to be the worst.

I haven't play there since May. I have been avoiding it because I don't like playing it when the fairways are hardpan. Might have to make a visit soon. I have a horrible soft spot for Spring Valley.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Prairie Isle today. Not a drive I love doing from the city but it’s tough to beat $29 on a weekend and have the course also be pretty decent. They got whacked by nasty storms last week and there were some uprooted trees on the first few holes as well as lots of other broken tree branches all over the course. It absorbed the rain water just fine though. The greens were running at about a 9 but were pretty smooth and there was no standing water. 

After playing 21 rounds in July, I’m back to being a weekend only golfer so it took me a few holes to get any type of rhythm going. I had some swings on 2 that looked like I had never swung a club before. A double on a 340 yard hole is never good. My wedge game bailed me out on the front since I only hit three greens but I managed to birdie 8 and eek out a 38 on the front. On the back I played like I actually knew what I was doing and shot even for a 74. I was hitting driver really well and had between 60-105 in on 10, 12, 13, 14, 16 and 18. My full wedge game, however, was terrible. There’s something to be said for getting in a range session when it’s been a while. 

Bear found some magic with a 2019 ProV1 #10 ball. The Mitch Trubisky ball was far more accurate than the actual Mitch ever was. Bear stuck his tee shot on 17 to a foot from the cup and hit a completely blind approach on 18 to 8 feet. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

9 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

Bear found some magic with a 2019 ProV1 #10 ball. The Mitch Trubisky ball was far more accurate than the actual Mitch ever was. Bear stuck his tee shot on 17 to a foot from the cup and hit a completely blind approach on 18 to 8 feet. 

... I probably posted this before but what the heck. When my son was out in LA he stopped at a Chicago Pizza place several  months after first Covid hit. There was a sign that said "Please keep 10 feet between you and the next customer in line. If you are unsure how far 10 feet is, just picture Trubisky throwing to an open receiver. Where the ball actually lands is right about 10 feet." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I probably posted this before but what the heck. When my son was out in LA he stopped at a Chicago Pizza place several  months after first Covid hit. There was a sign that said "Please keep 10 feet between you and the next customer in line. If you are unsure how far 10 feet is, just picture Trubisky throwing to an open receiver. Where the ball actually lands is right about 10 feet." 

Oh Mitch, lol.

The Mitch ball has been treating me well. I played all 18 yesterday at Shepherds Crook with it and busted it out for the final 5 holes at Prairie Isle. Thought I finally had my elusive ace with it on #17 today and no flyers yet!

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

After several drama free rounds, Saturday at Crystal Woods was a S show. Not sure which story to start with, so we'll go AH golfers and then move to the general AHs.

Our 9:28 tee time had an 18 minute opening in front of us.  A quick round?  Oh contraire. In front of us was a foursome and in front of them was a three some.  They were playing a scramble with the 2 groups.  We caught them on the SECOND tee.   They had a 20 minute head start, were playing a scramble and were caught in 1 hole.  The entire round we waited up to 20 minutes on some shots and caught them on multiple tee boxes. These "gentlemen" were older than me so upper 60s probably and they were playing a tee box that was way too far.  Guessing we saw at least 40 tee shots and nary a single one went past 175 yards.

We waited, didn't say a word, but it started to get nutty at the turn.  They finished 9 and spent 20 minutes in the clubhouse. They appeared on the 10th tee where I was standing, soon followed by the rest of our group.  As they rolled up, they asked if they could continue and I said of course, it was their turn. They then shared the scramble they were playing, they were all high school friends, etc. One of the guys made a comment to me about needing to be patient and I asked why he said that, considering I hadn't said a single word, didn't quibble about them staying in their slot, etc. 

It was common for them to have a confab on the tee box and will guarantee that the concept of Ready Golf was foreign to them.  On 15 after finishing the hole (we waited nearly 20 minutes to hit our third shots), they gathered on the green and remained for a good 5-7 minutes. We finished the hole and of course, caught them on the 16th tee box.  The remainder of the course in front of their first group was open so they were somewhere between 2.5 and 3 holes behind. As we walked up one of the "gentlemen" said "oh here's Mr. Patient again." To add to this, the threesome in front of them decided to watch the tee shots, adding a further delay to the day.  Finally, I made a comment that the group in front of them needed to get it in gear and the verbal abuse started. They said they didn't care we had to wait and I just replied with "exactly."

Needless to say, it was a 5 hour round when it should have been 4, max.

To add to this disaster, after finishing the 11th hole, a young coyote came prancing about 50 yard away. The coyote was just meandering, not bothering anyone and minding their business. As we approached the 12th tee, it cut across the 12th fairway and then 4 AHs in carts decided to scare the **** out of the coyote.  They started to chase it in their carts and you could tell from the change in pace that the coyote was scared.  They drove it into the woods on the right of the 2nd hole and it disappeared. For the love of everything good, why would anyone do that and provoke a potentially dangerous animal.  It would have served them right if the coyote attacked them.

So the golfing this weekend wasn't a total disaster, will be posting later about our round at Rich Harvest Farms.

• Sad 2