Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Scramble outing at Ravisloe tomorrow.  We'll shoot 58 and lose by 2.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

12 hours ago, Symphonize said:

Game’s been the best it’s been all year, last 3 rounds have been 92, 96, and now 93 today. With the 96 including a 7 on 18, and an 8 on 17 today. Probably won’t be out again until Tuesday or Wednesday, hopefully can keep the good play up to close out the next few months 

Edit: scored 93 today, not 94. 

Where you been playing?  We need details, course conditions, comments about other players, etc.  Paint the picture for everyone!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

Where you been playing?  We need details, course conditions, comments about other players, etc.  Paint the picture for everyone!

I question if somebody actually golfed if they don't have a story about some group in front playing slow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

I am usually playing at my home club, the mighty Kish. That’s why I usually don’t mention it since it’s always the same. Course is in great conditions, and greens are better than ever (based on my 2 years there, by the same thoughts are echoed by people that have been there for 30+ years). The new superintendent has been awesome this year, and the course has been much tougher. Everyone index is up about 1-2 strokes. We have a good group of guys that play, put our name on a list for the day, and have a game anywhere from 6-20 players. Rarely have a round that’s over 3.5 hours. I don’t have any juicy stories about drama with other groups or starters unfortunately. 

my shot of the day yesterday came on the 200 yard par 3, hit it left into some light rough, had about a 40 yard pitch to a mid-left pin position over a bunker. Pitched it right over the bunker onto the fringe, it rolled towards the pin, hit it and just bounced out to a few inches. Couldn’t drop for the birdie but I’ll take the par. 

• Like 4

A nice round this morning to close out the week. White Pines West again. The course was very wet with standing water in many places, and washed out bunkers. It was cart path only. Fairways weren't getting much rollout, but they were playable for the most part. 'Had to take relief from casual water a few times. Rough was fine. Bunkers were mud. Greens were only rolling 8 at most. Can't complain about unrepaired ballmarks, but oy, people could use a lesson on how to properly repair one. Many greens looked like a teenager's face. Pace was much better than expected with the cart path only. I joined a twosome following a foursome, and expected the worst. However, we waited on only a couple of shots as the group ahead set an amazing 3:25 pace. I tip my hat to them.

Decent round with one birdie and five bogies. Just like yesterday I started well enough, but the heat index got to me later in the round. With no drinking water on the course I had to carry extra. Highlight of the day was my sole birdie on the 10th. With the pin in the back left near the water I pushed my 2nd out of the left rough to the back right of the green, leaving a curving, uphill 50 footer. With the best of blind squirrel golf I could muster I curled the ball in for a three. Otherwise it was a day of struggling to get the ball to the hole on the shag carpeting.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Veteran's Memorial Willow Glen this morning with Bear. We had to tee off before sunrise but there was enough light to see everything on the first hole so no issues there. The course is basically the same conditions-wise as last time, which makes sense because we were there a little over a month ago. The first green was pretty gnarly-looking but the rest of the greens were fine and had some decent pace to them. There was no standing water and only a couple of wet spots, though some of the bunkers looked more mud than sand (thankfully I stayed out of the traps today). We played in 2:30, and I’ve gotta say, it’s nice getting in 18 holes and being home just as my daughter is waking up. Willow Glen has its share of long holes, but there are also plenty of scoring opportunities and I cashed in with birdies on 2 and 8. Those were countered with bogies on 10 and 14 but I still managed to shoot an even par 71. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 3

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Cottonwood 2

Long, hot day at Highlands of Elgin. 5 hour round, waiting on every hole, no rangers in sight all day.

Highlands must have just verticut the greens. Like putting on poa. Ball finds one of the mini trenches and zig zags or took the trench and rode it away from the hole. Maintenance like verticutting must be done, but super difficult to put on. 

• Sad 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Our comp played Hillside/Woodside at Cantigny today.  Always enjoy Cantigny.  The range was a bit dicey and it didn't seem they had moved the ropes in a few days.  Appreciate the variety of targets on the range as well and they're giving a warm up 25 ball bucket with the green fees.

Surprisingly, picked up a few mud balls in the fairway. In general though, the course played fast and the greens started fast and once the sun did it's work, they got even faster. Was only in 1 trap and although the sand was firm, it was definitely playable. The 9th hole on the Woodside has the bunker liner showing which is quite the surprise for Cantigny. 

A 4th was added to our 3some and he was an absolute delight. Guessing he is a somewhat newer player but his passion for the game was contagious. He literally cheered for good shots and hit his fair share of good shots as well.

On the par 3 8th on the Hillside, playing around 200, I cold topped a 5h about 104 yards.  As soon as the 56 degree wedge second shot took off it started on line and one bounce later, no need for the putter, longest birdie of the year.

We've got 1 event left in our comp season with no less than 7 guys within shouting distance of first. Have shared that the last 5 years in a row our comp was decided on the literal last shot of the season. 

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, psygolf said:

Looking for recent course condition thumbs up for a friend that I recommended him not playing the same course over n over for course management reasons.

Big Run

Hilldale

Chalet Hills

Abbey 

(random I know)

?

Big Run is in rough shape. The property either has already been sold or is going to be sold. Such a great layout so it’ll be missed. Greens there are very shaggy but they’re always shaggy so that’s not news. 

Chalet was in very good condition when I last played it and they handle rain well on the back nine. The first seven holes on the front could be iffy since that’s a lower area. 

Abbey Springs is closed for renovations. They’re doing a green and bunker reno with progress updates on the website. 

No idea about Hilldale. 

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Cottonwood 2

Speaking of ranges, I forgot to mention that Prairie Landing's range was using the mats. Wha? All that turf, and they're making you hit off the plastic? Sheesh.

• Like 1

PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

Speaking of ranges, I forgot to mention that Prairie Landing's range was using the mats. Wha? All that turf, and they're making you hit off the plastic? Sheesh.

They usually only do that if it just rained so the range doesn't get chewed up

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

2 hours ago, psygolf said:

Well...who won?

(had a friend playing in it)

Well we didn't shoot 58 but we came in 7th! Out of 7. No idea who won.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

8 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Need to add someone to your team with eraser proficiency.

scrambles -

one recent experience, we eagled a 580 contest hole and lost.

so we told them their food was lousy and the starter was dressed funny.

😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

... Participated in a scramble in Dallas back in the late 90's and we were good, and lucky. 16 birdies with 2 chip ins, 1 eagle and 1 bogie for a 55 and we lost by 3 strokes. Seems this well known family had a penchant for winning scrambles and were banned from several in the area. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 65R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max Hy 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
TaylorMade MG3 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

3 hours ago, propman said:

Speaking of South burbs courses, tons of news/gossip of possible sales of big run, silver lakes, Glen Eagles and cog #s 1 &3.

Some of this goes back 8 yrs or so.

not sure how accurate these two following statements are, but

Heard Big Rub sale held up because of soil tests

silver lake course sale seems more a sure thing to proceed

Edited by geochitown

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

Speaking of courses that were potentially on the chopping block, I played Lake Bluff today. My first round there since 2017. GolfVisions now runs the show at Lake Bluff. Overall, pretty much what I remembered. Though it seemed a few trees were gone, I'm guessing from a storm or storms at some point. Conditions were decent. Pace was good. 

Man, I'm looking forward to some fall golf. The calendar can't flip fast enough to September. So over the humidity.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TS3 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan 612

Whitetail Ridge today.  Forgot how nice the course is,  but not worth the current rates,  however the $50 twilight rate is perfect.   Course was in good shape for the most part.   Greens were nice,  fairways had some burnout but overall good,  bunkers were great and the tee boxes need leveling.  We had an empty course and got through in 3:20, amazing.  We had about 2 minutes of rain,  otherwise just got. 

Game was solid today.  Managed to hit 15 greens, resulted in 4 birdies.  A couple of 3 putts and not getting up and down on the 3 misses resulted in 6 bogies for a 73.  I'm putting up great scores this year,  just need to get rid of these numerous bogies or in some cases the blow up holes.

• Like 4

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

13 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Whitetail Ridge today.  Forgot how nice the course is,  but not worth the current rates,  however the $50 twilight rate is perfect.   Course was in good shape for the most part.   Greens were nice,  fairways had some burnout but overall good,  bunkers were great and the tee boxes need leveling.  We had an empty course and got through in 3:20, amazing.  We had about 2 minutes of rain,  otherwise just got. 

Game was solid today.  Managed to hit 15 greens, resulted in 4 birdies.  A couple of 3 putts and not getting up and down on the 3 misses resulted in 6 bogies for a 73.  I'm putting up great scores this year,  just need to get rid of these numerous bogies or in some cases the blow up holes.

Have heard they made some course changes along with updating the facilities.  Anything you can share on that MK?

A simply gorgeous morning. I forgot what cool felt like. With morning temperatures in the low 70s, and a light NW wind, it felt wonderful. First visit to WillowCrest in over a year. At $75, and no walking rate available, the course is overpriced. However, I was able to grab a $47 rate on GolfNow, which is more reasonable. Through the green was in nice shape. They were in the process of cutting the fairways, so there was some rollout on the soft turf. Rough was cut to a good height. Bunkers were in poor shape, with standing water in some of them, and little sand to speak of. Greens were rolling decent at ~10. I swear I'm going to start sending invoices to these courses. I must have spent a good 15 minutes fixing ballmarks. I feel like I'm part of the maintenance crew. Pace was excellent. I went out as a single, and I never caught the twosome two holes in front of me, as they were moving at a great clip.

Solid round with 2 birdies and 4 bogies. Short game really saved the day, as I only managed 9 greens. Highlight of the day was chipping in for birdie on the par 5 14th. I missed the green to the right by a foot, and the ball was sitting down in the rough. The pin was low in the front, so I simply had to get the ball on the fringe and let gravity do the work. I would have been happy with a tap in par, but the ball found the bottom of the cup with its final rotation. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Have heard they made some course changes along with updating the facilities.  Anything you can share on that MK?

I don't think the course itself has changed much that I remember, it's been about 3-4 years since I've played it.  It does feel that it has matured a bit, the trees felt bigger and the reeds in the water area's are really grown to the point where some of the tee shots on the front were blind shots.  Hole 2 I think it was, I thought I hit it right down the center and it was in the right rough, I couldn't tell what the center was on the tee box and from memory I thought the line I would have taken to get to the middle would have put me OB.  Range balls were included with the rate so that was a nice touch.   One thing they should do to the course is add another set of tees.  On the card you have 6800 or 6200, there really needs to be something that sits between the both. We pulled a page from @Argonne69 and built our own hybrid at 6500, which is a pretty good yardage for us on a par 71 course. 

The changes they made downstairs were just adding in a "nicer" restaurant/bar area.  I didn't get a chance to enjoy it, but it looked like a nice place to grab a beer and a bite.  I did think the setup for golf check in was a little awkward. The pro shop was more or less taken out and the counter you check in at just feels like it's part of the restaurant area, there's no real divide between the two.   The rest of the clubhouse looks like I remember it.

• Like 2

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Pleasant afternoon 9 at Ruffled.  Teed off at 5:30pm and knowing it was going to be slow (at least for a single), decided to play the “tips” (read: did’t feel like teeing off with an iron on half the holes).  Finally birdied the first hole, but that was about it.  Wasn’t wrong about the pace - after the first hole wound up waiting to hit almost every single shot.  Course was pretty wet in spots (so were the bunkers) and greens were rolling quite a bit slower than in the past.  Finished in 1:50 - 2 birdies and 4 bogeys (missed 3 foot slider on 9th) for a so so 38.  Our league’s next tournament is in couple weeks(Cog #2), so with the long weekend ahead, looks like more afternoon RF for me.  Gotta put that Arics Prime membership to good use.  

• Like 2

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges.

Glad you got paired up Arg, I'd hate to be reading about another one of those fake rounds of golf you often play. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

5 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Another enjoyable morning. Heritage Oaks again. 'Not much has changed in two weeks. Fairways are still quite wet with little rollout. Rough is a good height. A few bunkers were a little washed out, but the majority were very nice with groomed wet sand. It would be nice if they put out a rakes. The majority of bunkers I looked at had no rakes. Greens continue to be slow. The starter told us they probably wouldn't cut them to a low height until next season, so if you play here until then you can expect to bash the ball. Pace was fine at 3:40.

I had a decent round until the dreaded 17th where I doubled after having to take an unplayable in the left fairway bunker when my ball came to rest just under the front lip. With 185 to carry the penalty area I decided to take my lumps and lay up. One birdie, two bogies, and a double on the day. 

Craziest thing happened on the 17th. As close to a near death experience I've had on a course since a close call with lightning years back. One of my playing partners hit a superb 2nd on the 17th, but the ball caught the large willow tree, and fell straight down. When we rounded the pond we could see the ball a foot in the fairway. One of our other playing partners had hit one too many in the pond, and decided to drop near the other ball. I stood in the shade of the willow while they hit. While I was standing there  I heard a "crack". I thought I may have stepped on a branch, but when I looked down there was no branch. Hmmm. We walked to the green, and just as we neared it we heard a loud "CRACK!". We turned around, and the large center trunk of the willow had snapped ~2/3rds of the way up, and the huge branch came crashing down in the spot where we were standing two minutes earlier. We looked at each other in near shock. If we had been standing there, I'm guessing at least one of us wouldn't have been quick enough to get out of the way. On the plus side, if you hit a high draw there's now an opening in the center of the tree. 

spacer.png

#takedownallwillows

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue 6S
TEE  CBX119  2h  17* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS 
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Aldila Rogue Black 85TS
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (27,31,35,39,43.5,48) DG120 S300
Vokey SM4 52-08F S200
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

2012-2013 SC California Sonoma 33" -SS Flatso 2.0
TM TP5x

42 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Glad you got paired up Arg, I'd hate to be reading about another one of those fake rounds of golf you often play. 

Public golf has its issues. However, reading a thread like that provides a wonderful illustration that private clubs can come with their own buffoonery. Good lord.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TS3 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan 612