2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

I think they just went through some work with Lohmann on that course

never played there but the photos looked nice

Arnold Palmer course?

Bummer that their staff isn’t more welcoming 

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Checked another off the list at Kankakee Elks today. Under 50 courses left to rank in Illinois.  Ummm...yikes.  Call me strange but I actually somewhat enjoy courses where you can't tell if you are in the fairway or the rough.  That being said, I had no idea on some holes where to aim because all you saw was grass, no fairway.  You had to tee the ball up extra high on the tee box due to the length of the grass.  

Was hungry but they were out of all food...lol.  This is the definition of "country course".  Makes me realize how good I have it with Schaumburg, Hilldale and Poplar Creek all within 10 minutes...

15 hours ago, Shriner said:

Checked another off the list at Kankakee Elks today. Under 50 courses left to rank in Illinois.  Ummm...yikes.  Call me strange but I actually somewhat enjoy courses where you can't tell if you are in the fairway or the rough.  That being said, I had no idea on some holes where to aim because all you saw was grass, no fairway.  You had to tee the ball up extra high on the tee box due to the length of the grass.  

Was hungry but they were out of all food...lol.  This is the definition of "country course".  Makes me realize how good I have it with Schaumburg, Hilldale and Poplar Creek all within 10 minutes...

Actually a decent lay out and really cool green complexes... But yea, for me not worth the drive. The one time I went I booked online and when I got there the guy was like "Ugh we have league, there are no tee times". I ended up going off the back with a college team that was practicing which was kind of awkward to start. No sorry, refund, free snickers etc. 

Condition wasn't terrible when I went, sounds like they've given up. 

Edited by mci711

Played Wild Rock up in the Dells on Sunday and we had the first tee time of the day and flew around the course. Was my first time back here in almost ten years. Course was in great shape tee to green. Tee boxes were nice, fairways were great and lush, bunkers were full of sand and manicured,  and the greens were phenomenal with almost no ball marks on them and rolling pure. Only negative I will say is some of the greens have some cartoonish undulations and ridges going through them. Course rates over 4 strokes over par from the tips at over 7400 yards and would like to try that next time but we went off from 6900 and after finishing the front at even par the back got me and ended with a +5 77. 

This upcoming weekend we are playing Metamora Fields, Weaver Ridge, TPC Deere Run, and Fyre Lake. Have played TPC before so the bunker renovation is no big deal. Have played Fyre Lake before but heard its in much better shape now as they have new owners or management. Have never played Metamora or Weaver but I heard Metamora is a gem so excited for that. Weather looks great for this weekend lets hope it doesn't change. 

• Like 4

Titleist TSI3 9* - Graphite Design AD IZ 6X

Callaway Epic Speed 15* - Hzrdous Smoke 

Titleist TS2 19 Hybrid - Hzrdous Smoke

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW - Project X IO

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 54*

Taylor Made Hi Toe 58*

Bettinardi Hive BB 34 DASS

TItleist ProV1

2 minutes ago, ME27 said:

Played Wild Rock up in the Dells on Sunday and we had the first tee time of the day and flew around the course. Was my first time back here in almost ten years. Course was in great shape tee to green. Tee boxes were nice, fairways were great and lush, bunkers were full of sand and manicured,  and the greens were phenomenal with almost no ball marks on them and rolling pure. Only negative I will say is some of the greens have some cartoonish undulations and ridges going through them. Course rates over 4 strokes over par from the tips at over 7400 yards and would like to try that next time but we went off from 6900 and after finishing the front at even par the back got me and ended with a +5 77. 

This upcoming weekend we are playing Metamora Fields, Weaver Ridge, TPC Deere Run, and Fyre Lake. Have played TPC before so the bunker renovation is no big deal. Have played Fyre Lake before but heard its in much better shape now as they have new owners or management. Have never played Metamora or Weaver but I heard Metamora is a gem so excited for that. Weather looks great for this weekend lets hope it doesn't change. 

Sounds like a great weekend! Metamora is fun. Weaver is a great layout, and hopefully they've addressed the conditioning issues these past few years. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Played Broken Arrow Saturday afternoon for the first time in probably 5 years, East to North. I'd never played the North 9 before, crazy setup with the greens in that they're designed twice as large, usually in an infinity shape connecting the middles, and to have 2 pins each and you can choose which to play to, but it wasn't set up for that for us and made for some interesting putts. Greens were very soft and slow, lots of crater ball marks. Place felt oddly empty, little to no gear in the clubhouse and nobody working the turn at 4:00 on a Saturday. Of all the courses I've played this year, this was the only one that felt like it was back to the pre-2020 days and not packed to the brim on a weekend, in fact it felt empty. Very odd.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, VNutz said:

Played Broken Arrow Saturday afternoon for the first time in probably 5 years, East to North. I'd never played the North 9 before, crazy setup with the greens in that they're designed twice as large, usually in an infinity shape connecting the middles, and to have 2 pins each and you can choose which to play to, but it wasn't set up for that for us and made for some interesting putts. Greens were very soft and slow, lots of crater ball marks. Place felt oddly empty, little to no gear in the clubhouse and nobody working the turn at 4:00 on a Saturday. Of all the courses I've played this year, this was the only one that felt like it was back to the pre-2020 days and not packed to the brim on a weekend, in fact it felt empty. Very odd.

I think the North course at Broken Arrow has the largest greens of any course in Chicagoland. I believe the idea was to have that nine feature not only two pins, as you mentioned, but for one of the pins to be big cups. Actually, a fairly creative idea, especially for a 27 hole facility. But, alas, budgets get cut, GolfVisions takes over and what was a novel idea, just becomes a strange experience.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

50 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

I think the North course at Broken Arrow has the largest greens of any course in Chicagoland. I believe the idea was to have that nine feature not only two pins, as you mentioned, but for one of the pins to be big cups. Actually, a fairly creative idea, especially for a 27 hole facility. But, alas, budgets get cut, GolfVisions takes over and what was a novel idea, just becomes a strange experience.

Ah yes, now I remember it. For some reason I had it in my head that the North 9 was some sort of practice or kids course, which it most definitely was not once I got out there. The big cups concept makes much more sense now.

• Like 1

We were trying to get out to the Glen Club next Monday but they appear to be out of morning times, so Thunderhawk it is.  Hopefully I'll sneak in another 18 prior to then on either Sat or Sun.  With the sun going down now earlier it's a crap shoot at teeing off at 4pm on a weekday.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

52 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

We were trying to get out to the Glen Club next Monday but they appear to be out of morning times, so Thunderhawk it is.  Hopefully I'll sneak in another 18 prior to then on either Sat or Sun.  With the sun going down now earlier it's a crap shoot at teeing off at 4pm on a weekday.

I think the period between Labor Day and Columbus Day is the best time of year in our area for golf. The only downside is the rapidly shortening days, which make late afternoon tee times dicey.

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

I'd recommend Shepherd's but Thunderhawk is good too

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

1 hour ago, cpeck12 said:

Playing Makray Friday morning... will be my first time out there.

Tough course.  Enjoy!

Beware the tough short par 4's (3rd, 8th and 14th).

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 1

TM TP5x

4 hours ago, cpeck12 said:

I don't know much, if anything, about it... hopefully it's tough anddd nice??

yes, quite nice. Barrington area, big pretty clubhouse set high above finishing holes 9 and 18

I’d recommend taking a look at both 9th and 18th greens on backside of clubhouse before your round

9th green has a tricky ridge on it 

typically course is in great shape and greens can be super speedy

there was an issue with homeowners that forced them to shorten the par 4  12th so that hole is a bit iffy, but a fun green 

8th hole is super short downhill dogleg right to an elevated shallow green, long is death

Th tips are pretty fun at Makray

16th hike is a fun one to at least look at it from the tips

Great par 4 with a super tough green and the tee boxes require a longer abs more challenging angle of  carry over the pond

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 1

TM TP5x

We played Kettle Moraine GC in Wisconsin on Monday morning. I’d never played there but Bear took a flyer a couple of weeks ago and said it was worth a round. I realize I’m about to write a lot about a course that most of you won’t play but…whatever. There’s a few things to unpack. First, it’s crazy cheap. $24 to walk on a holiday. I get that it’s in Dousman, WI, which is very much the middle of nowhere, but still, it’s 25 minutes from Evergreen and is a considerably more interesting course. Also, the greens were excellent. Not icy fast but probably 9.5 once the dew burned off, very smooth, and with lots of undulation. I just laugh at the course ratings and slope at these Southern WI courses (70.5/124 at Kettle Moraine) compared to much easier courses in the Chicago burbs with inflated numbers. Looking at you Glencoe, Steeple Chase and Midlane. Also, someone had a table of golf balls he found on the course. If there was any doubt that the KSig Performance+ was the number one lost ball in golf, his collection of those put that to rest. Okay, now the bad. I’ve played a lot of golf courses and I’ve never played one with that many doglegs. Holes 4, 9, 12, 16 and 17 were the only non-par 3’s that weren’t doglegs. And these weren’t soft ones that move slightly right to left or left to right. We’re talking 70-90 degree turns. I’m all for courses maximizing length given the footprint the course has to work with but it got silly. Also, it’s not good or bad but it closes with a par 3. It’s not a throwaway 3 and is actually pretty decent aesthetically, but it’s funny that Kettle Moraine and Broadlands are maybe 15 minutes apart and could not be more different course-wise, yet both close with par 3’s. Oh, I shot a 75 with one birdie. I’ll definitely play it again at some point. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

37 minutes ago, geochitown said:

yes, quite nice. Barrington area, big pretty clubhouse set high above finishing holes 9 and 18

I’d recommend taking a look at both 9th and 18th greens on backside of clubhouse before your round

9th green has a tricky ridge on it 

typically course is in great shape and greens can be super speedy

there was an issue with homeowners that forced them to shorten the par 4  12th so that hole is a bit iffy, but a fun green 

8th hole is super short downhill dogleg right to an elevated shallow green, long is death

Th tips are pretty fun at Makray

16th hike is a fun one to at least look at it from the tips

Great par 4 with a super tough green and the tee boxes require a longer abs more challenging angle of  carry over the pond

Thanks for the run down! Can’t wait to get out there. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

Buddies trip this weekend which is normally a treat with Lost Dunes and Long Beach CC. This year the guys have picked Blackthorn. Anyone want to fill me in on what I need to know?

• Like 1
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

10 hours ago, taylorx300 said:

Buddies trip this weekend which is normally a treat with Lost Dunes and Long Beach CC. This year the guys have picked Blackthorn. Anyone want to fill me in on what I need to know?

I recently read that conditioning at Blackthorn is a little spotty. Hopefully it's not too bad. 

• Thanks 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

1 inch of rain up in Libertyville last night, looks like very little down by the airport as evidenced by not much rise in Salt Creek at Irving Park Rd.

TM TP5x

11 hours ago, taylorx300 said:

Can't speak to recent conditions but Blackthorn is a great layout and visually pleasing as well.  Played it last summer as part of the 3 courses in 3 states in 1 day personal challenge and it was far and away a course I'd play again. I remember some tough bunkers, not because of sand/lack of sand, but rather the depth of them.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

We played Kettle Moraine GC in Wisconsin on Monday morning. I’d never played there but Bear took a flyer a couple of weeks ago and said it was worth a round. I realize I’m about to write a lot about a course that most of you won’t play but…whatever. There’s a few things to unpack. First, it’s crazy cheap. $24 to walk on a holiday. I get that it’s in Dousman, WI, which is very much the middle of nowhere, but still, it’s 25 minutes from Evergreen and is a considerably more interesting course. Also, the greens were excellent. Not icy fast but probably 9.5 once the dew burned off, very smooth, and with lots of undulation. I just laugh at the course ratings and slope at these Southern WI courses (70.5/124 at Kettle Moraine) compared to much easier courses in the Chicago burbs with inflated numbers. Looking at you Glencoe, Steeple Chase and Midlane. Also, someone had a table of golf balls he found on the course. If there was any doubt that the KSig Performance+ was the number one lost ball in golf, his collection of those put that to rest. Okay, now the bad. I’ve played a lot of golf courses and I’ve never played one with that many doglegs. Holes 4, 9, 12, 16 and 17 were the only non-par 3’s that weren’t doglegs. And these weren’t soft ones that move slightly right to left or left to right. We’re talking 70-90 degree turns. I’m all for courses maximizing length given the footprint the course has to work with but it got silly. Also, it’s not good or bad but it closes with a par 3. It’s not a throwaway 3 and is actually pretty decent aesthetically, but it’s funny that Kettle Moraine and Broadlands are maybe 15 minutes apart and could not be more different course-wise, yet both close with par 3’s. Oh, I shot a 75 with one birdie. I’ll definitely play it again at some point. 

I have a buddy that lives up that way and we'll get together a few times a year to play.  Generally I go up there since it's cheaper golf and I get some options I don't normally have down here.  Kettle is a great track for the price, but from what I recall I do remember it feeling a lot like the front 9 at Oak Brook.  I also am glad I'm not the only person to notice the slope/ratings up there seem way off.  I've played courses up that was that were rated 69-70ish and just had my butt handed to me on them.   I can't remember the name off hand, but we played one a few years back right over the boarder that low 69's and between the narrow fairways, the insane slope of the super small greens on top of their speed, I had no chance of breaking 80.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

I have a buddy that lives up that way and we'll get together a few times a year to play.  Generally I go up there since it's cheaper golf and I get some options I don't normally have down here.  Kettle is a great track for the price, but from what I recall I do remember it feeling a lot like the front 9 at Oak Brook.  I also am glad I'm not the only person to notice the slope/ratings up there seem way off.  I've played courses up that was that were rated 69-70ish and just had my butt handed to me on them.   I can't remember the name off hand, but we played one a few years back right over the boarder that low 69's and between the narrow fairways, the insane slope of the super small greens on top of their speed, I had no chance of breaking 80.  

Sounds like Spring Valley in Salem, WI. Just over the IL boarder, north of Antioch on Rt. 83. 

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

5 hours ago, MountainKing said:

That's the rating for IL players.  The Wisconsin rating is 76.2.

• Like 4

Another wonderful morning. I could sure get used to this. 'Hope it lasts for a while. Early morning round at Ravisloe. Course was in very nice shape. Fairways were getting good rollout, not that I hit many. Rough was a little too thick in spots, as we spent quite a bit of time trying to find balls just off the fairways. Bunkers were very nice with nice groomed sand. Greens were rolling 10 by the end of the round, but slower in the morning dew. Thankfully there were few unrepaired ballmarks. A few shady greens had a couple of thin, wet patches. The 3:10 pace was excellent. I went out with another single walking, and after catching a foursome at the turn, we were allowed to play through. Open course after that. 

Didn't take long for my game to come back down to reality. Sheesh. One birdie and six bogies. Dreadful day off the tee. The squirrels were in mortal danger. The putter couldn't bail me out today. Highlight of the day was my playing partner. He's also a recent (early) retiree, and grew up a few miles from the course. He caddied at Ravisloe for 6 years, and was in the same high school district as me. Being a fellow southsider, we had a ton to talk about. 

• Like 3