Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

5 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I have a buddy that lives up that way and we'll get together a few times a year to play.  Generally I go up there since it's cheaper golf and I get some options I don't normally have down here.  Kettle is a great track for the price, but from what I recall I do remember it feeling a lot like the front 9 at Oak Brook.  I also am glad I'm not the only person to notice the slope/ratings up there seem way off.  I've played courses up that was that were rated 69-70ish and just had my butt handed to me on them.   I can't remember the name off hand, but we played one a few years back right over the boarder that low 69's and between the narrow fairways, the insane slope of the super small greens on top of their speed, I had no chance of breaking 80.  

That's the rating for IL players.  The Wisconsin rating is 76.2.

• Like 4

Another wonderful morning. I could sure get used to this. 'Hope it lasts for a while. Early morning round at Ravisloe. Course was in very nice shape. Fairways were getting good rollout, not that I hit many. Rough was a little too thick in spots, as we spent quite a bit of time trying to find balls just off the fairways. Bunkers were very nice with nice groomed sand. Greens were rolling 10 by the end of the round, but slower in the morning dew. Thankfully there were few unrepaired ballmarks. A few shady greens had a couple of thin, wet patches. The 3:10 pace was excellent. I went out with another single walking, and after catching a foursome at the turn, we were allowed to play through. Open course after that. 

Didn't take long for my game to come back down to reality. Sheesh. One birdie and six bogies. Dreadful day off the tee. The squirrels were in mortal danger. The putter couldn't bail me out today. Highlight of the day was my playing partner. He's also a recent (early) retiree, and grew up a few miles from the course. He caddied at Ravisloe for 6 years, and was in the same high school district as me. Being a fellow southsider, we had a ton to talk about. 

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

First time out at Boilingbrook tomorrow. Not paying for the round so it must be great!

• Like 4

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

10 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

The squirrels were in mortal danger.

I had one of the toughest days in a long time.

that comment set things right. 

😆

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

Had an 11:45 tee-time today at Nettle Creek. I was working and got distracted so I forgot my golf shoes. Ended up playing in my tennis shoes for the first time that I can remember since I was a kid.  Beautiful day and the shoes didn't effect my game. I hit the sweet spot in the schedule and played 18 holes in just over 2 hours and 15 minutes. I had just finished 1 when the next group was on the 6th green. I ended up catching them after 9 and they let me play through. I never saw another group until 13 and they were a couple holes ahead of me. So, no good stories to share on that front.

I lost my putter cover somehow between the 9th green and 10th green, but didn't want to go back. I didn't keep a scorecard as I was hitting extra balls now and again. Chipped in on 9 and holed a lob wedge from 40 yards on 17 for an eagle 3. Those were the only highlights. I forgot to switch out my putter and paid the price...it's been cut down to 32" and way too short for me. I didn't make a single putt over 18 inches all day. Lesson learned. It's a Ping Redwood ZB, so too nice to let it gather dust, I'm going to have it re-shafted over the winter. Haven't shared much here lately as I generally played the same couple of golf courses and my game has gone south this season. It's pretty discouraging especially compared to what I read from you guys. That's all for now. 

• Like 3

Ping 410 Plus 12*

Callaway X-Hot 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 4 hybrid, XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Titleist T100 7-GW

Titleist Vokey 56*

Mizuno Pro 60*

Putter depends on the day

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

21 minutes ago, reperna said:

Thinking about playing Harborside next weekend. Is one 18 better than the other?

Port is probably the most scenic, but I feel Starboard is a better layout with fewer gimmicks. 

• Like 1

PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

13 hours ago, chisag said:

... Payback for my Argonne comment earlier with a two-fer today. Playing as a single in 111* heat and played through a big bombing 2some on #5 and caught another 2some on #7 a pretty tough 202yd par 3. I park my cart in the shade and wait til close to teeing off before standing in the hot sun and the 2 guys look like they are finished and walking back to the cart when one drops a ball on the fringe and chips, then does it 3 more times! I shouted HEY!?!? with my arms wide so they hit one more chip then gathered the balls up. I hit my 2 iron into the wind and it settled on the back fringe, putted to a tap in and headed for #8 expecting to be waived through. 

... First guy drops a ball next to the water and hit (guessing he went in) then he dropped and hit another while I am on the tee box. They ride off and I hit my tee shot and when I get to my ball they are standing in front of the green talking. Talking!?! Did I mention it was 111*? I picked up my ball and was gonna just go past them when they came back to their cart and moved it about 10 yds forward blocking my path to get by. One guy gives me a head nod and a waive and I just shake my head. He asks "is there a problem?" And I say "YES, when you have a single behind you and holes open in front of you wave them through before playing extra balls, especially when it is this hot." He says he was helping his friend who is a beginner and I said that's great if the course is empty but wave the people behind you through. He says OK, you are playing through so what is your problem? I laughed and said picking up my ball in the middle of the fairway and driving to the next hole while you talk isn't playing through, it's quitting a hole and skipping ahead. He rolls hisses and says "whatever" so obviously there was nothing to add. (After the round I found out they had driven their cart onto the fringe of a par 3 and almost got tossed.) 

...  I catch another 2 some on the back 9 at #16. A little slow but nothing egregious. I stay behind and hit some putts since there are only 2 holes left so no use speeding up. Took my time and when I got to the next tee, a 576yd par 5 they are almost on the green. Perfect! I hit my tee shot and they came driving out of the trees to the left and hit a fairway wood a good 40 yds behind my drive. I am catching up to them to apologize because what are the odds the 2 guys in front of them also have a blue and a white shirt? As I am nearing them he picks up my ball and puts it in his pocket. I said "Wow, that's my drive. I didn't see you guys hiding in the trees to escape the heat but saw the same blue and white shirt almost on the green so hit my drive. The guy says "How do we know it's your ball? What number is it?" I said I don't know what number it is because I am playing alone but there is a big BMW logo on it" and unbelievably the guy says "I didn't see a logo" and I asked him to take it out of his pocket and look again. He does and then tosses it toward the desert and says if I want it so bad I could go get it and they drove off. LOL WTF!?!? He had to be in his late 70's as was his partner and I was too shocked to say anything. 

... So Argonne I apologize for making fun of a post of yours with no complaining. Clearly I got the guys intended for you today so I won't make that mistake again!  😇

I'm not one to get into physical altercation but I'd be close to fighting a 70 year old if that happened to me lol.  Unreal. 

Lovely day to finish the week. I decided to mix it up a bit, so I played White Pines East for only the 2nd time ever. 'Probably the last, too. It's just too tight, and with so much shade the turf is in poor condition in a lot of places. The 11th and 12th teeboxes were trash. A handful of greens had dead spots. While the West isn't going to win any awards for conditioning, it's been pretty decent this season. Fairways were OK. The rough was a good height. Bunkers were garbage with nothing but hardpan dirt. Greens were bumpy, and rolling 9. Pace was good. I joined a fun threesome, and there was a threesome ahead of us that moved at a brisk pace, so we didn't really have to wait at all. Finished in 3:45.

Solid day scoring, but I caught a few good breaks after clipping trees with my tee shots. Only four fairways, but somehow managed 12 greens. Two birdies and four bogies on the day.

OMG. This had to be one of the craziest rounds I've played in ages. It started while we were on the 7th green. There was an outing going out mid morning, so they were putting signs up on all the teeboxes advertising the prize for each hole. As we were putting a couple of young women with signs drove up from the direction of the 8th hole, and proceeded to burn a u-turn right behind our green. In the process they drove right across the back half of the green leaving for very visible tire marks.

On the 9th hole I hit a nice high draw that was curving back to the fairway along the right side of the hole. The ball took one bounce in the rough, and on the second bounce the ball shot to the right at a 45 degree angle into the trees. I couldn't figure out what the ball hit, but then I saw movement. There were two squirrels goofing around, and I'm pretty sure I hit one of them, because when I got up to the spot of the bounce there was nothing there that could have deflected a ball that much. Yesterday I said that the squirrels were in mortal danger, but today the fault lies with them. Lol. To make the hole even crazier I dropped a 33' birdie putt after a wicked iron shot out of the trees found the green.

The nuttiness continued on the par 3 11th. A player in a cart drove by asking us if we'd picked up a putter. Now, I've found wedges near greens, but how does one lose a putter? After he drove off we looked up and saw a thin, but healthy looking coyote walking towards us from the 12th teebox. He walked around the front of the green, and I commented that it needed to put a little meat on its bones. A few seconds later the coyote makes a dash and pounces on a goose sitting near the cartpath. Whoa! After it sank its teeth into the doomed goose, it picked it up and carried it off into the trees behind the hole. After a bit of discussion we agreed that the goose was probably injured or sick, as it put up zero fight. I guess it's possible that the coyote broke its neck with the initial bite, but either way the coyote was going to fatten up today.

On the short par 4 12th one of my playing partners hit his approach into the weeds/grasses in the PA just in front of the green. He managed to find his ball, and played out of the junk, though. After he hits his shot we're standing on the green, and he's walking back and forth in the junk. I figured he was simply ball hawking. After a couple of minutes his buddy asks him what he's doing. He says, "I lost my putter. I set it down to hit my shot, and I can't find it." Rotflmao. We left the green and helped him look for his putter. 

On the 14th I hit a low pull that hit the cart path, and hit the cart path, and hit the cart path. Best 275 yd drive of the day. Oy. 

The cherry on top was the 15th. I got to the tee first, and hit my teeshot. Since I was the only one walking, I decided to start creeping up the left side along the cartpath. Two of the other players were playing up so they parked their carts up near the forward tees. The final player was driving the ball fairly decently, so we thought nothing of being forward and left of him. Of course he proceeded to hit the most massive pull that barely missed two of us before sailing into the pines trees left of the teebox. Whoa. Close call. I think I can still hear the sizzle of the ball passing my head.

Edited by Argonne69
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I'm not one to get into physical altercation but I'd be close to fighting a 70 year old if that happened to me lol.  Unreal. 

... In my younger days but ever since playing with a guy that pulled a gun out of his bag along with a few online stories, I have decided confronting anyone seriously on a golf course is just a very bad idea. Even if he had tossed my ball in to the water it just isn't worth it. If they are an Word not allowedhole nothing I do or say is gonna change that and if they aren't they probably wouldn't do any of that behavior anyway. Thankfully playing 4-6 times a week it is very rare to run into these kinds of idiots. I have said this a million times but people and certainly golfers fall into one of 2 categories: Considerate and Inconsiderate and the latter has absolutely no clue about the former. 

• Like 1

Taylormade  SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Ltd 60R
Taylormade  SIM2 Max 15*/16.5HL*/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Taylormade  UDi 18* ... Even Flow Black 85R
Taylormade  Sim Hybrid 22* ... Diamana Ltd 75R
Cobra           4-Pw King Tour MIM ... Steelfiber 95R
Taylormade  MG3 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
Taylormade  MG3 58* LB ... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland     Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"

7 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

but how does one lose a putter?

... I was playing Encino in LA with 3 Asian players about 5 years ago. Super nice and friendly guys and on 18 a par 5 I was green side in two but in deep rough. Took my putter and 58* and then holed the pitch for an eagle and a 69 and my playing partners went crazy. Jumping and screaming and high five-ing and congratulating and one of them gave me a coin to remember the day I played with them. They had never played other anyone that broke par. 

... In all the excitement I forgot my putter in the thick rough. When I got to my car I saw it was gone and went back to get it. A 33" Bobby Grace 6630 (8802 style) with a ton of lead tape on the sole and it was gone. Maybe 3 groups max could have come through after we finished. Went to the Pro Shop and of course nobody turned it in. Checking back for several weeks in case someone brought it back the next time the played to no avail. Left my name and number but never heard from the course. So I have been very diligent about my putter since then. 

• Like 1

perfect weather at the Valley.

began the day in the hitting cage at 5:30. practice green was nice and fast.

starter sent me out solo before anyone else was out of the parking lot and I was heading to five tee when I saw people coming up to two green.

by the time I hit eight tee box I could tell there was time for some two-ball fun.

course condition was very good and always nice to putt on fast greens.

pins were set in some interesting spots, including number eighteen in the far left low level outcrop. I hit my drive of the day on that hole and best approach.

no slow play, mangled wildlife, inconsiderate players.

though - I did try the music thing for about 45 seconds at number 16.

got all upbeat, good song on, then hit the slice of the day - heck - month, all the way across number 15 fairway.

so, turned the noise off, got myself back in position and decided not to do that again.

end scene.

• Like 4

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Ping G20 - FW
Ram FX2, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2 - Karsten grip
not flashy, reliable

Looks like a number of courses are punching their greens tomorrow. I was thinking about playing Blackstone, but alas, closed for green aeration. A few other places had no times available, so I'm thinking they might be as well.

Played Boone Creek yesterday afternoon. That course is a conundrum. I'm not sure there's a more mundane course around here tee-to-green, but the greens were excellent. Rolled with nice pace and so very true. A real treat to play on.

Edited by TheBear95
  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist 816 H1 19*

Titleist TS3 23*
Sub 70 639 CBs (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 48*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan 612

Played Blackberry Oaks yesterday.  Another amazingly beautiful day. They need to do something with their range although, it's the perfect range if you want to practice hitting shots from the rough or divots.

The course is in very good condition although I picked up a couple of mudballs off tee shots in the fairway.  The practice greens were a bit slower than the actual greens.  Paired up with 2 good guys including someone who played with a split grip.  Guessing he's a former hockey player.

Second Saturday in a row playing with someone with a severely closed stance.  However, his OTT move was very consistent and he hit a ball with a lower but very straight trajectory.  Lots of ways to swing a golf club.

• Like 3

Played Chapel Hill today. Woof. That was a rough one. Rough tee boxes, absence of fairways, and rough greens. The bunkers looked even worse, but I didn’t find myself in any luckily. Just like last year, had a tee time but waited on the first tee for 2-3 groups and tees off 20 minutes after we were supposed to. Front nine took an abysmal 2.5 hours, back 9 was a bit quicker at just under 2. I think a group with some young kids a few holes ahead of us only played 9. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Symphonize said:

Played Chapel Hill today. Woof. That was a rough one. Rough tee boxes, absence of fairways, and rough greens. The bunkers looked even worse, but I didn’t find myself in any luckily. Just like last year, had a tee time but waited on the first tee for 2-3 groups and tees off 20 minutes after we were supposed to. Front nine took an abysmal 2.5 hours, back 9 was a bit quicker at just under 2. I think a group with some young kids a few holes ahead of us only played 9. 

Yeah, Chapel Hill is on my "won't even bother" list. I played it once and that'll be it. Holes 11-14 might be the ugliest stretch of holes in the Chicagoland area. I get an Edgebrook vibe there. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Cottonwood 2

I played Palmira this afternoon. Wanted to get in a round and didn't want to spend too much. Check and check. The course was in surprisingly good shape. There was a decent amount of sand in the bunkers, the greens were smooth, and the huge area on 5 that used to be a huge, poorly maintained bunker, is now just ground under repair. I thought they would just leave it as a waste area but it looks like they're seeding it. Also, not as many weeds as I expected. I guess all the pesticides they use are doing the trick. That course has the largest football-jersey-on-course count in the area. Bonus points for the two guys I saw who also had costume jewelry gold chains. Exuding class, one person at a time. I played from the tips since from the whites it plays pretty short. That added a few strokes to my score but I finished with a 76. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Cottonwood 2

Frustrating morning at Glencoe. Yeah, the weather was nice. A little muggy, but bearable. Why do the clowns riding carts tee off so early when they don't plan to keep pace? It's early Monday morning. Pace is typically well under 4 hours, not 4:15 and 2 holes behind the walkers in front of you. Grrrr. Conditions were OK. Fairways were fine. Rough was rather thick in spots. Bunkers could use some sand. Greens were inconsistent. 8 on some greens, and close to 10 on others. Weird.

Poor iron play today. I let the slow pace get to me. One birdie and five bogies. Highlight of the day was my drive on the 10th. With a little bit of a tailwind I had a 7 iron into the green. It's usually a hybrid or fairway wood. 

• Like 1

Took the day off to get a round in at Thunderhawk. It looks like they had some morning rain before we got there so the course was playing really soft.   Greens were slower than usual but smooth with minimal ballmarks,   bunkers had great sand and fairways were solid.   The tee boxes need some big time leveling,  all of them played with a hook lie, not good for me.   Pace was 4 hours, the only group on the course was in front of us and wouldn't let us through.   Benny Hill cart action,  venturing to each others balls together,  playing the 6600 yard tees and not hitting drives over 180, grinding over 3 foot putts....

Game was rough today.   Snap hooks at bad times,  not getting up and down,  not taking advantage of good shots. 3 doubles, a lot of bogies and a loan bird for an 84.  Other than hole 9 it's still one if my favorite courses in the state. 

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

9 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Pace was 4 hours, the only group on the course was in front of us and wouldn't let us through.   Benny Hill cart action,  venturing to each others balls together,  playing the 6600 yard tees and not hitting drives over 180, grinding over 3 foot putts....

... I know this has been beat to death but I will never understand why you would not want a faster group to play through. Last thing I want when playing golf is paying attention to the group behind me and hoping they see my idiot partner coming out of the trees after looking for lost balls or losing patience while he fishes out 5 balls form the lake with his extended ball retriever. Obviously if we are waiting it is easy to ignore those behind us but if there are any holes open or just impatient guys on our Word not allowed I always want them to play through. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I know this has been beat to death but I will never understand why you would not want a faster group to play through. Last thing I want when playing golf is paying attention to the group behind me and hoping they see my idiot partner coming out of the trees after looking for lost balls or losing patience while he fishes out 5 balls form the lake with his extended ball retriever. Obviously if we are waiting it is easy to ignore those behind us but if there are any holes open or just impatient guys on our Word not allowed I always want them to play through. 

We were patient for 9, of course the one place they weren't slow was at the turn where they just went on without a stop.  At that point we finally stopped being "polite" and were making it known we were behind them.  We'd drive right up to them while they were hitting tee shots, I may have tossed some drives up on them once I knew they were in an are that if anything reached them, it would be a slow trickle, ect.  On hole 16 I dumped my second shot just short of the green and walked up while they were putting.  I probably shouldn't be like that, but come on, we're a group that could have easily played that round in 3 hours.  We had a twosome behind us that weren't thrilled with them either, we could have easily played as 6 and kept up with these guys.  I know they got through in 4 hours, fine, but that's a lot of waiting for a group who would have done it in 3. 

Part of the issue for sure was their tee box selection, they weren't carrying some of the carries you had, they couldn't reach any of the longer par 3's in regulation ect.  I don't get how playing so far back is fun when you don't have the yardage.  On a good hole they all needed about 4 to 5 shots to get on the green.  I don't care what anybody says, you cannot play golf at an appropriate pace if you're on the wrong tee box.  

• Like 1

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Part of the issue for sure was their tee box selection, they weren't carrying some of the carries you had, they couldn't reach any of the longer par 3's in regulation ect.  I don't get how playing so far back is fun when you don't have the yardage.  On a good hole they all needed about 4 to 5 shots to get on the green.  I don't care what anybody says, you cannot play golf at an appropriate pace if you're on the wrong tee box. 

... I would run into a rare 4some at Carillon several years ago. Wrong tees, very slow, lots of congregating but they always waived us through. We got backed up and they were all probably in the 80's and I asked them why they play tees not appropriate for their skill level and they said they live on the course, play 9 holes every day and are in no hurry to get back home. They know they are slow and don't mind waiving the entire course through as it is more time to spend shooting the sh!t with their friends. I found that refreshingly rare. 

... And one other instance I may have posted before but in the late 90's I played Encino in LA with 3 Indian guys in their 70's that played the tips and probably didn't break 150. But they played very fast and were always moving unless I was addressing my shot, but for each other they just kept moving and we still waited on every tee. On #10 I asked why they didn't move to the tee box in front of me and he said "Saum we are maxamizing our dollur value. You pay 2 times more than we pay!" I laughed and said we paid the same thing and he replied "Not pur shot! You are payeen 2 times az much". Great guys and a hole later he said he knew they were bad golfers and wanted to hit as many shots as possible and as long as they didn't hold anyone up nobody should care. Amen. 

... The other 99% of the time are basically as you described above. 🙄

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, chisag said:

Last Friday at White Eagle on the 2nd tee box, we let a mixed 3some play through.  Other than a guy in the group who hit his 4th shot from about 30 yards in front of the tee, they played quickly and we never waited a nanosec. Actually felt bad for that gentleman.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I would run into a rare 4some at Carillon several years ago. Wrong tees, very slow, lots of congregating but they always waived us through. We got backed up and they were all probably in the 80's and I asked them why they play tees not appropriate for their skill level and they said they live on the course, play 9 holes every day and are in no hurry to get back home. They know they are slow and don't mind waiving the entire course through as it is more time to spend shooting the sh!t with their friends. I found that refreshingly rare. 

... And one other instance I may have posted before but in the late 90's I played Encino in LA with 3 Indian guys in their 70's that played the tips and probably didn't break 150. But they played very fast and were always moving unless I was addressing my shot, but for each other they just kept moving and we still waited on every tee. On #10 I asked why they didn't move to the tee box in front of me and he said "Saum we are maxamizing our dollur value. You pay 2 times more than we pay!" I laughed and said we paid the same thing and he replied "Not pur shot! You are payeen 2 times az much". Great guys and a hole later he said he knew they were bad golfers and wanted to hit as many shots as possible and as long as they didn't hold anyone up nobody should care. Amen. 

... The other 99% of the time are basically as you described above. 🙄

Lord forbid a group finishes quickly and sits in the clubhouse or patio for an hour before heading home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Lord forbid a group finishes quickly and sits in the clubhouse or patio for an hour before heading home. 

That's what I don't get - if you want social hour then just go to a bar, or go hang out at somebody's house. If you really feel the need to still have golf involved, take it to Top Golf.  

On the flip side, I don't care what you do on the golf course, let the faster guys through.  

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

7 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

That's what I don't get - if you want social hour then just go to a bar, or go hang out at somebody's house. If you really feel the need to still have golf involved, take it to Top Golf.  

On the flip side, I don't care what you do on the golf course, let the faster guys through.  

... They lived on the course and Carillon was supposed to be private but went bankrupt and turned public.  They liked being outdoors and taking their time and as long as they waived groups through, which they always did, I didn't have any problem with them. Probably ran into them 5 times max and we never waited. As we all know, very rare.  

• Like 2

On 9/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, TheBear95 said:

Looks like a number of courses are punching their greens tomorrow. I was thinking about playing Blackstone, but alas, closed for green aeration. A few other places had no times available, so I'm thinking they might be as well.

Played Boone Creek yesterday afternoon. That course is a conundrum. I'm not sure there's a more mundane course around here tee-to-green, but the greens were excellent. Rolled with nice pace and so very true. A real treat to play on.

I've been playing Boone Creek almost every Sunday.  My friend is getting over health issues and it's the only course he can get out on.

I've decided that I like it.  The challenge comes from them keeping the fairway only about 20 yards wide and the rough is very deep and thick.  They watered throughout the summer drought and it shows.

Good tee shots that aren't perfect put you in a spot where you're forced to study the lie.  

It's really the courses only defense, but it's working on me so far.

It's a different challenge from my usual Oak Grove.  

Edited by St Jimmy
  • Like 4

G425 LST 10.5 

M5 3 Wood 

G425 17 Hybrid

TM Sim DHY 

Gen 4 0311 P 5-G

Y Grind 55

PM Grind 60 

Scotty Golo 3

I took yesterday off work as well. Really wanted to play Aldeen and Blackstone, as I have yet to play either this year. However, both courses were punching their greens. Hope to play at least one of them in October. With this warm weather, I think the greens should be healed in a couple of weeks.

Decided to keep it close to home and played Pine Meadow. Got out just after lunchtime and avoided the morning crowds. Played a very leisurely round in 3:30. The greens were very smooth and my putter was hot. It had to be, because my iron play was not great. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist 816 H1 19*

Titleist TS3 23*
Sub 70 639 CBs (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 48*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan 612