Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Just now, DavePelz4 said:

Oak Grove used to have greens that were magnificent. The Golf Visions took over.  Need I say more? BTW, the sand from earlier this year is sill in the parking lot.  Guess they've been busy.

My first trip to the great Oak Grove was only back in 2014. Too bad I missed the glory days.

When I was there a few weeks ago, I thought about snapping a pic of the untouched sand pile to post here.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Teramo Belly No Belly

2 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

I took yesterday off work as well. Really wanted to play Aldeen and Blackstone, as I have yet to play either this year. However, both courses were punching their greens. Hope to play at least one of them in October. With this warm weather, I think the greens should be healed in a couple of weeks.

Decided to keep it close to home and played Pine Meadow. Got out just after lunchtime and avoided the morning crowds. Played a very leisurely round in 3:30. The greens were very smooth and my putter was hot. It had to be, because my iron play was not great. 

Tis' the season.

Called The Preserve wanting to book a time for next Wednesday.

Thankfully, the considerate pro shop employee let me know they were closed next Tuesday to aerate the greens.

He then helped me set up a tee time for Monday.

Share the info

• Like 2

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

19 hours ago, MountainKing said:

We were patient for 9, of course the one place they weren't slow was at the turn where they just went on without a stop.  At that point we finally stopped being "polite" and were making it known we were behind them.  We'd drive right up to them while they were hitting tee shots, I may have tossed some drives up on them once I knew they were in an are that if anything reached them, it would be a slow trickle, ect.  On hole 16 I dumped my second shot just short of the green and walked up while they were putting.  I probably shouldn't be like that, but come on, we're a group that could have easily played that round in 3 hours.  We had a twosome behind us that weren't thrilled with them either, we could have easily played as 6 and kept up with these guys.  I know they got through in 4 hours, fine, but that's a lot of waiting for a group who would have done it in 3. 

Part of the issue for sure was their tee box selection, they weren't carrying some of the carries you had, they couldn't reach any of the longer par 3's in regulation ect.  I don't get how playing so far back is fun when you don't have the yardage.  On a good hole they all needed about 4 to 5 shots to get on the green.  I don't care what anybody says, you cannot play golf at an appropriate pace if you're on the wrong tee box.  

These days I'm happy to call the pro shop when I am faced with a group in front that has a gap in front of them and is playing the "I don't see you behind me, even if you have been on our tail for the last 3 holes."

Give the course a chance to sort things out.

• Like 1

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

2 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Oak Grove used to have greens that were magnificent. The Golf Visions took over.  Need I say more? BTW, the sand from earlier this year is sill in the parking lot.  Guess they've been busy.

Ah, yes. Golf Visions. The clowns who told me that they don't put drinking water jugs on the course because there were known cases of people poisoning the water. Ever heard of a lock? Of course at the same time they managed Ravisloe, and wait for it, Ravisloe had water jugs on the course.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Fun, but challenging day at Coyote Run. I knew a front was moving through this afternoon, but I wasn't expecting the 15 mph winds this morning. Luckily only a few holes at CR play into the wind. The course was in very nice shape. Fairways were getting decent rollout. Rough was a good height. Bunkers were groomed, although a few could use an extra half inch of sand. Greens were rolling 9, and only a few holes were potmarked. Again, just don't get it. It's a par 5. You're hitting wedges into the greens. You're very likely going to leave a mark. Please go look for it, and repair it. Pace was excellent at 3:30, although I did have to walk over to the 5th green from the 4th teebox and "kindly" ask a couple of nitwits to pick up the pace. The twosome was on a 4+ hour pace, and had a threesome, my foursome, and another threesome backed up behind them waiting on every shot, with not a soul in front of them as far as I could see. They seemed to have gotten my drift.

Good day with one birdie and four bogies. With the windy conditions I didn't really take on many pins, electing to fire for the fat of the greens. Highlight of the day was my sole birdie on the 18th after a nifty downwind drive left me 75 yds to the back right pin. I got a laugh out of my approach on the 10th. I smother hooked my drive into the left rough in front of the fairway bunkers, leaving me a hook lie. 'Pulled the snot out of my fairway wood, but it ricocheted right off one of the trees left of the green, and wound up on the left part of the green. Then of course there was my wonderful teeshot on the par 3 11th. 'Nice pull hook that hit the cart path and wound up pin high...of the flag on the 8th green. Oy. Recovered with a nice high lob that finished 15 ft from the hole for a good bogie.

• Like 3

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

On 9/7/2021 at 2:04 PM, cpeck12 said:

Playing Makray Friday morning... will be my first time out there.

How was it?

TM TP5x

30 minutes ago, geochitown said:

How was it?

Absolutely awesome... and absolutely brutal 🙂. Such a tough course. My driver was not my friend that day and it made my round not so enjoyable. Greens were insane. If you weren't below the pin then you were in big trouble. Greenskeeper must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed because most pins were in extremely difficult spots; any green with a false front, pin was a few paces off the front. Very pretty and very cool course though. I was humbled with 2 birdies and a 92 from the golds. I definitely want another shot at it though.

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

On 9/14/2021 at 12:05 PM, Argonne69 said:

they don't put drinking water jugs on the course because there were known cases of people poisoning the water.

C'mon. has that really been an issue ?

all these years it's never been mentioned at any course I've visited.

if anyone's gonna fiddle with them, could at least toss in a pack of cherry Kool-Aid.

though, I do like the bottle fillers some courses have installed.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

11 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

C'mon. has that really been an issue ?

all these years it's never been mentioned at any course I've visited.

if anyone's gonna fiddle with them, could at least toss in a pack of cherry Kool-Aid.

though, I do like the bottle fillers some courses have installed.

... Why anyone would trust those tubs of water "cleaned" and refilled by gawd knows who is a head scratcher for me. I bring my own water from home with some minerals added to replenish them after the reverse osmosis used to get the contaminates out of the water. I talked with one of the rangers at Prairie Bluff that sanitized every water cooler and then filed with clean water and one of his pet peeves was the other rangers just refilling without any cleaning after being on the course all day. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

7 hours ago, chisag said:

... Why anyone would trust those tubs of water "cleaned" and refilled by gawd knows who is a head scratcher for me. I bring my own water from home with some minerals added to replenish them after the reverse osmosis used to get the contaminates out of the water. I talked with one of the rangers at Prairie Bluff that sanitized every water cooler and then filed with clean water and one of his pet peeves was the other rangers just refilling without any cleaning after being on the course all day. 

Yes, I bring my own water, but can only carry so much. On a hot and humid day I can easily go through close to a gallon.

The day I had a run in with Golf Visions at Oak Grove it was pushing 90 degrees. We were playing in a CDGA event, and we were all walking. After I complained about the lack of water at the turn they said the'd position a cart girl out on the course, as the beverage cart wasn't allowed to roam around during the tournament. Of course they positioned a single beverage cart on the back nine, and our group had started on the 10th tee, so it didn't do us much good.

IIRC, many years ago I read about a clown who had a beef with a course, and put something in an unsecured water jug. It was likely an old wives' tale, but even if it was true it was an isolated incident. How one course decided that this was a reasonable threat is beyond me.

33 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I'd rather over heat and be dehydrated than drink out of those bacteria jugs. Working at a golf course and seeing that they were never cleaned or sanitized and filled with a hose was enough to keep me from drinking out of them. Also seeing people open the top and scoop ice out etc. Stuff is gross. 

I get it - but I will say this. I've been playing this game since I was in my single digits, I've never gotten sick from drinking out of those jugs, but I have gotten sick from dehydration on numerous occasions. 

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

5 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Yes, I bring my own water, but can only carry so much. On a hot and humid day I can easily go through close to a gallon.

... This is one of the reasons (among others)  I bought a remote controlled cart. I carry two 48oz bottles in my bag and have a reserve bottle in my car. 110-115* and I sometimes end the round out of water so started keeping a reserve bottle in the car. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

Pleasant weather this morning at The Preserve. They've got the greens rolling at 10 to 11, and they're going to aerate next week? Bah. They must have had a tournament recently, as there was a whole lot of red penalty areas marked off where before there was no markings. The trees along the right side of the par 5 5th was marked as a PA, whereas before it was OB. Fairways were nice. The rough was quite thick. Bunkers were sandy. Best the greens have been all year. Pace? Same 'ol sad story. I joined a threesome and we spent the entire morning waiting on every shot behind four nitwits. There were at least 3 holes open in front of these clowns by the 6th hole. Wave us through? Not on your life. 

Nice round despite the standing around. One birdie and four bogies. No real highlight. Struggled to adjust to the speed of the greens, along with some tough pin positions. Don't think I'll ever complain about the pin being in the back on #9 again. They had it on a slope center front, and my chip from in front of the left greenside bunker tracked towards the hole, made a right turn at Albuquerque, and finished 12 feet below the cup. Oy. 

• Like 2

Chicago folks: I'm looking for someplace that can trim, tip and grip a couple shafts with a short turnaround time and pretty good price. I'm in the near western suburbs. Any recommendations?

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

Chicago folks: I'm looking for someplace that can trim, tip and grip a couple shafts with a short turnaround time and pretty good price. I'm in the near western suburbs. Any recommendations?

There's a Golf Galaxy and PGA SS both in Downers Grove (virtually across the street from one another). I've had better luck at Golf Galaxy when a quick turnaround is needed.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

11 minutes ago, cpeck12 said:

There's a Golf Galaxy and PGA SS both in Downers Grove (virtually across the street from one another). I've had better luck at Golf Galaxy when a quick turnaround is needed.

Seconded. Seems like PGA SS is always slammed but GG can get you in and out in a reasonable amount of time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eric61 said:

It's pretty easy work to take on yourself, just as a thought, then you can do it any time you need it done. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Cog #2 last Saturday - surprisingly, the course was in decent condition and the greens were actually rolling close to double digits (it not right at 10).  

Just finished afternoon 9 at Ruffled Feathers - again, course is vey playable with greens (while pretty beat up in the afternoon) still rolling right around 10.    Played solo - teed off at 5:10pm and finished in 1:45.  Still struggling with “swaying” in the backswing, but made a conscious effort not to - results were encouraging, with only couple loose shots.  

Our bi-weekly league’s season ending tournament at Dubs this Saturday.  No chance to win it all, but pending disaster, should finish third.  

• Like 2

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

It's pretty easy work to take on yourself, just as a thought, then you can do it any time you need it done. 

I'd like to, but don't have any of the tools, nor anyplace in the apartment to store them, really.

• Like 2

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

21 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Pleasant weather this morning at The Preserve. They've got the greens rolling at 10 to 11, and they're going to aerate next week? Bah. They must have had a tournament recently, as there was a whole lot of red penalty areas marked off where before there was no markings. The trees along the right side of the par 5 5th was marked as a PA, whereas before it was OB. Fairways were nice. The rough was quite thick. Bunkers were sandy. Best the greens have been all year. Pace? Same 'ol sad story. I joined a threesome and we spent the entire morning waiting on every shot behind four nitwits. There were at least 3 holes open in front of these clowns by the 6th hole. Wave us through? Not on your life. 

Nice round despite the standing around. One birdie and four bogies. No real highlight. Struggled to adjust to the speed of the greens, along with some tough pin positions. Don't think I'll ever complain about the pin being in the back on #9 again. They had it on a slope center front, and my chip from in front of the left greenside bunker tracked towards the hole, made a right turn at Albuquerque, and finished 12 feet below the cup. Oy. 

it was the CDGA Senior Amateur and took place Monday-Wednesday this week.

• Like 3

TM TP5x

14 hours ago, chisag said:

... Just a quick anti bad golfer post. Playing in 105* heat today as a single behind a twosome. Caught up to a slower 3 some on #7 and after #9 I noticed they let the twosome play through. So I grabbed some ice at the clubhouse and went to the tee figuring they would be gone but they were waiting for me and said "we figured you would probably like to play through and since nobody was behind you we just waited". I was pleasantly surprised. 

Once in a blue moon it happens

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Nice morning to finish up the week. White Pines West again. No real changes in conditions. Fairways were wet. Bunkers are poor. Rough was a good height. Greens were actually quite nice. Might have been rolling close to 10. Pace was a mixed bag. I joined a threesome that once again got stuck behind the slow pokes. 2:10 to finish the front with a wide open course as far as I could see. Luckily they decided to take an extended beer break at the turn, and we had clear sailing. Finished the back nine in 1:30. Ah, much better. 

Oof. Driver was really off today. Finished with one birdie and six bogies. A few really nice scrambles kept it from being a total wreck. Highlight of the day was a 21 ft par save on the 16th. Otherwise I spent a good part of the morning talking with my squirrel friends. 

• Like 3

Brighton Dale Links Blue Spruce this morning. Bear called to book the earliest time available (for whatever reason they only allow groups of 3 or more to book online on weekends) and they said they could put us in the first group at 6:30. This was kind of funny since the first posted tee time was 6:37 but there were people teeing off at 6:15. It was still pretty dark then but if others wanna play in darkness that’s their prerogative. The course was playing very firm since while it rained in the city yesterday, no precipitation made it that far north. They haven’t had rain in quite a while and it showed with rock hard rough. The first hole was a disaster for me on what should be an easy hole (Judge Smails block 3 wood off the tee that kicked left, decent hybrid, shanked 50°, so-so chip, 2 putt bogey on a 488 yard par 5) but I got comfortable shortly after. I only hit 8 fairways but I hit 13 greens, made a birdie on 14, and had several other looks. 73. Awesome weather, with high 60’s to low 70’s temps and a nice breeze. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Back to Prairie Bluffs.  Course tee to green was in great shape.   Greens were punched maybe a week ago and healing nicely,  they should be fantastic in another week.  The big draw, another round under 4 hours, 3:45.  We teed off behind a really slow group, they recognized they were slow and let us through on 4.  Course was booked solid and they kept it moving. 

Game was nothing special.   Hit 11 fairways but just wasn't all that sharp with my irons.  4 3 putts, partially due to a little plinko and partially cause I suck.  Tossed in a nice double bogey for a 78.  What a beautiful day.   If anybody needs a 4th mid to late morning I had my day free up and my group is out of commission.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Dubsdread yesterday.   Course was in ok condition tee to green - my only beef was with the bunkers.  Not sure when was the last time they were groomed, but despite having plenty of sand in them, they felt like hard pan (bounced the wedge couple times, resulting in screamers over the green).  What a start to the round, though. Hit the opening tee shot OB right (didn’t think it was possible to hit the ball that far off line, but I managed).  Reload wasn’t that much better, but playable.  Once the dust settled, carded a smooth 9.  Note to self - if you’re going to miss at Dubs, miss short,  Added another triple on 8 and a bogey on 9 would have put me at 50 for a first time in a VERY long time.  Luckily, my driver woke up and hit driver /4W pin high into the green side bunker, almost holed out for an eagle and had to settle for a birdie - 48 - yikes!  
Things did get better on the back and if it weren’t for couple bad club choices should have shot even par or maybe 1 under. 2 birdies and an all world par save on 18 - 38.  The tale of 2 very different 9s continues.  
Oh - did I mention the weather?  PERFECT!

• Like 3

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter