Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

we enjoyed the change of temps this morning. air was crisp and we were able to toss the outer layer just before the turn.

friend from Wisconsin joined us today and when we walked up to number two green to survey our approach shots we found Ryder Cup ball markers on scene.

he shared stories about his Friday at WS and told us that course is a must play venue.

our greens were fast and had more breaks than an orthopedic ward.

surprised myself by hitting the front nine par 3's in reg. it's 50/50 that I miss number 6 to the right.

parred 'em both.

foursome behind caught up by number eleven - I swear anytime my shot was near that group - my ball disappeared. they were always looking for at least two of their groups shots and there are several adjacent fairways on the back nine.

they were Hoovering up the place.

I did find their nasty tic-tac-toe marked in yellow Titelist DT-Solo, they swapped for my logo ProV1 on number 16. mine faded right, I yelled fore and after four of them searched that area -  I hustled up to the remains. they were 75 yards away by then. as Arg would say , Pfft.

still, a good day. found three True Feels in the rough so next time out those get a bashing.

• Like 2

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Cog #3 today.   Course was in shockingly good shape.   Nice fairways,  greens rolled well had had minimal ball marks.  Bunkers looked nice and had sand.  I was impressed.  Unfortunately the pace was brutal at 5:15.  At some points there were 4 groups piled up on a hole.  Not sure where the issues were,  but it for once wasn't the group in front of us. Teeing off well before 2pm, you shouldn't be thinking you're going to have daylight issues. 

My game was once again just so so.  I hit 13 greens,  but nothing close and too many 3 putts.  The wind was tough,  and even impacted putting on the more exposed area,  but it's hard to be happy with a 77 on such an course. Still,  hard to complain since we're getting down to the end of the season.

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Last minute decision to play this morning, and the pickings were rather slim for early morning tee time - Broken Arrow to the rescue.  Teed off at 7:30am and finished in 3:55, which was rather shocking.  Course was in decent condition, but for Christ sake - turn the freaking sprinklers down a notch or 10.  The balls landing on greens with any velocity would leave craters as ball marks. Bunkers? Haha….  Even though they were groomed, they looked like mud pits.  I actually came home with wet shoes🤬.   Game was off to say the least, even though I only hit couple loose tee shots.  3 putts galore (tough to judge uphill 50 footers with dew and wet greens).  Only one birdie on 9 south).  

• Like 4

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

47 minutes ago, stasek said:

Last minute decision to play this morning, and the pickings were rather slim for early morning tee time - Broken Arrow to the rescue.  Teed off at 7:30am and finished in 3:55, which was rather shocking.  Course was in decent condition, but for Christ sake - turn the freaking sprinklers down a notch or 10.  The balls landing on greens with any velocity would leave craters as ball marks. Bunkers? Haha….  Even though they were groomed, they looked like mud pits.  I actually came home with wet shoes🤬.   Game was off to say the least, even though I only hit couple loose tee shots.  3 putts galore (tough to judge uphill 50 footers with dew and wet greens).  Only one birdie on 9 south).  

The bunkers at BA are an embarrassment. Just mud and rocks. Quite a few aren’t even playable unless a player is okay with possibly damaging their wedge. It bugs me that every season they’ve let the bunkers get worse and worse. It’s like Oak Grove. Even with a new shipment of sand, the pile would probably just sit in the parking lot. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

1 minute ago, propman said:

It seems the vast majority of bunkers in the chgo burbs are terrible.

... You guys should play in Phoenix. Most bunker have very high lips with zero and I mean ZERO sand in the bunkers. They are like compacted cart paths. They claim high winds cause the sand to get blown out of the bunkers but after living here a year, Chicago gets waaaaaaay more wind. I have been disappointed in bunkers like at Cog Hill #1 but would love those bunkers now. 

... On another note after the last 4 months with 100-118* heat every day, it was 68* with some drizzle today and I needed a jacket. 🤪  I remember playing in Chicago and 68* in March/April was almost hot LOL. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Played Oak Grove this afternoon. What a nice day, almost perfect weather. I guess people really wanted to watch the Bears (why???), because I had the front 9 to myself. Ran into a few groups on the back, but still got around in 3 hours. The greens had some pace today, definitely the fastest in my four rounds at Oak Grove this season.

I received a few boxes of Titleist Tour Speeds from work a few weeks ago. Finally, got around to putting a ball into play. I have to say, I was impressed. It was breezy today and the Tour Speed held its line really well. Great option for me for upcoming fall golf.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

9 hours ago, propman said:

Da bears. Today's game reminded me of the Abe Gibron days. Glad I mostly watched the Ryder cup.

Oy. I watched 90% of the game on fast forward, looking for something interesting to happen. What a wreck.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

For the first time in 2-3 years played Maple Meadows on Saturday.  For the most part, the course is in very good shape, sans the rocks in the bunkers.  Not sure what was up with that. Their greens were rolling rather quickly which I don't remember from previous years. They've gone to 8 minute intervals at MM which might be too tight for the clientele they draw.

Unfortunately, it was a 5 hour+ round.  The threesome in front of us was made up of a younger couple and an old guy like me. Guessing the couple took up the game during the pandemic. The older "gentleman" hit multiple tee shots on at least 10-12 holes and we saw each of them. He was so bad that they sent a ranger out twice to deal with him.  On the 7th hole, he literally waited until the group in front of them cleared the green, nearly 400 yards away.  The ranger happened to be there for this and asked him why he waited and he literally replied with "I thought I could hit them." Now if this gentleman hit a single tee shot over 125 yards I'd be shocked. To add to the entertainment, he was attempting to coach the young lady who really didn't need it as she out drove him on every hole.

Post round we ran into the couple in the bar and I asked how their round was.  They said the gentleman wouldn't stop giving them advice, suggestions on what to do on a course, etc. They said he literally didn't shut up the entire round. Glad he wasn't a tee time later.

At least you couldn't beat the weather which was perfect. 

• Like 3

Went to Top Golf yesterday, my girls family who was in town wanted to check it out.  I didn't participate, but I noticed a lot of similar behaviors to most people there that I see on the course.  I was glad the folks there elected to come to Top Golf instead of a real course.  I've said it a million times, I think at least half of what I see on the course would probably have a more enjoyable experience at Top Golf.  They can socialize, they can eat, drink, play as a group of 6,  hit multiple shots in a row ect.  The nice part about Top Golf, is even bad shots generally end up in something that earns points.  The only thing you can't do at Top Golf is do your best Benny Hill impression in a cart.   

• Like 2

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

Went to Top Golf yesterday, my girls family who was in town wanted to check it out.  I didn't participate, but I noticed a lot of similar behaviors to most people there that I see on the course.  I was glad the folks there elected to come to Top Golf instead of a real course.  I've said it a million times, I think at least half of what I see on the course would probably have a more enjoyable experience at Top Golf.  They can socialize, they can eat, drink, play as a group of 6,  hit multiple shots in a row ect.  The nice part about Top Golf, is even bad shots generally end up in something that earns points.  The only thing you can't do at Top Golf is do your best Benny Hill impression in a cart.   

You would have to pay me (a decent sum too) to venture to a Top Golf. That said, I wholeheartedly agree with you. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

2 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

For the first time in 2-3 years played Maple Meadows on Saturday.  For the most part, the course is in very good shape, sans the rocks in the bunkers.  Not sure what was up with that. Their greens were rolling rather quickly which I don't remember from previous years. They've gone to 8 minute intervals at MM which might be too tight for the clientele they draw.

Unfortunately, it was a 5 hour+ round.  The threesome in front of us was made up of a younger couple and an old guy like me. Guessing the couple took up the game during the pandemic. The older "gentleman" hit multiple tee shots on at least 10-12 holes and we saw each of them. He was so bad that they sent a ranger out twice to deal with him.  On the 7th hole, he literally waited until the group in front of them cleared the green, nearly 400 yards away.  The ranger happened to be there for this and asked him why he waited and he literally replied with "I thought I could hit them." Now if this gentleman hit a single tee shot over 125 yards I'd be shocked. To add to the entertainment, he was attempting to coach the young lady who really didn't need it as she out drove him on every hole.

Post round we ran into the couple in the bar and I asked how their round was.  They said the gentleman wouldn't stop giving them advice, suggestions on what to do on a course, etc. They said he literally didn't shut up the entire round. Glad he wasn't a tee time later.

At least you couldn't beat the weather which was perfect. 

8 minute tee time intervals is too tight for any course, especially a busy course like MM.

Edited by TheBear95
  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

14 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

You would have to pay me (a decent sum too) to venture to a Top Golf. That said, I wholeheartedly agree with you. 

I used to feel this way, but it isn't a bad way to spend an evening in the winter. The food is better than expected too. My wife and I played in a league a couple of winters ago in the naperville location and it was a good bit of fun. I've only gone a couple of times outside of the league though. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheBear95 said:

I've been there numerous times, my significant other and numerous other friends love it.  Normally we max the bays out so I'll just sit out and enjoy the food/drinks and company.  I've always enjoyed myself, and I know it's much better than attempting a round of golf with these friends.   

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Another beautiful fall morning at The Preserve. I wore a polo and a base layer, and I wish I had skipped the base layer. The breeze was at least a club strong, but from the south it wasn't too chilling. Course was in very nice shape. A few of the teeboxes were shaggy, but they were in the process of being cut, along with the fairways. Bunkers were good, although the left greenside one on the 9th could use an inch of sand. Hardpan city. Greens had been aerated last week, but they used the small tines, and had healed 90%. The ball was rolling fine at ~10. Pace was fine. I went out as a single, played through a couple of groups, and had clear sailing.

A few errant shots today, but otherwise solid. One birdie and four bogies. Highlight of the day was finding four Pro V1s, a few Vice, a TP5x, and a couple of Kirklands. Lol. Love Monday morning golf. The weekend players are just so generous.

• Like 4

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

22 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Another beautiful fall morning at The Preserve. I wore a polo and a base layer, and I wish I had skipped the base layer. The breeze was at least a club strong, but from the south it wasn't too chilling. Course was in very nice shape. A few of the teeboxes were shaggy, but they were in the process of being cut, along with the fairways. Bunkers were good, although the left greenside one on the 9th could use an inch of sand. Hardpan city. Greens had been aerated last week, but they used the small tines, and had healed 90%. The ball was rolling fine at ~10. Pace was fine. I went out as a single, played through a couple of groups, and had clear sailing.

A few errant shots today, but otherwise solid. One birdie and four bogies. Highlight of the day was finding four Pro V1s, a few Vice, a TP5x, and a couple of Kirklands. Lol. Love Monday morning golf. The weekend players are just so generous.

I call the KSig the #1 lost ball in golf.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

1 minute ago, TheBear95 said:

I call the KSig the #1 lost ball in golf.

Lol. I dunno. I have at least 100 like new Pro V1s in the back of my SUV.

The Preserve had the tees way up on the second hole on Friday. The tree on the left blocked me out. I hit a huge slice to the left of it and drove it in the fairway. Anyone else tried that?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

2 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

... Yup, while I do find a surprising amount of Kirklands, the Titleist's are waaaaaay in front. Why someone pays for Tour Soft or Velocity balls when others are comparable and much cheaper is a mystery, other than wanting to play a Titleist of course. But finding ProV1's sliced on the right side of the fairway in woods, weeds or water is probably the clear winner. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Yup, while I do find a surprising amount of Kirklands, the Titleist's are waaaaaay in front. Why someone pays for Tour Soft or Velocity balls when others are comparable and much cheaper is a mystery, other than wanting to play a Titleist of course. But finding ProV1's sliced on the right side of the fairway in woods, weeds or water is probably the clear winner. 

Heck, I found two of the Pro V1s in the prairie grass just in front of the 10th teebox. 'Nothing like topping/chunking a premium ball into the junk.

16 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Yeah, same here. But, not a real surprise given Titleist's overall ball market share.

That's why I call the KSig the #1 lost ball in golf. Nowhere near the market share, but lately, I have been finding them nearly at the same rate as ProV1s. Extremely impressive!

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

... Here is my cache of Lost but not Found balls. I usually give them to my playing partners but if playing alone or if they don't want them, I end up giving them to a local kids golf association. Pretty good amount of crappier TaylorMade and Callaway balls too: 

289210508_Ballslostfound.JPG.460b735abe5b2be7fc6e6962fc388ac5.JPG

25 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Here is my cache of Lost but not Found balls. I usually give them to my playing partners but if playing alone or if they don't want them, I end up giving them to a local kids golf association. Pretty good amount of crappier TaylorMade and Callaway balls too: 

289210508_Ballslostfound.JPG.460b735abe5b2be7fc6e6962fc388ac5.JPG

I used to give the found balls away at work, but now that I'm retired I collect more than I give away. During the shutdown last spring, I cleaned out my golf "drawer", and donated 200 balls to charity. Since then I've probably collected close to 150 more. I keep the Pro V1s, TP5s, and Chrome Softs, and either give the others to my playing partners, or leave them on the course for others to pick up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

The Preserve had the tees way up on the second hole on Friday. The tree on the left blocked me out. I hit a huge slice to the left of it and drove it in the fairway. Anyone else tried that?

One of my favorite holes in golf.  That being said, I am probably not envisioning the shot you are trying to hit or I have never played the tee boxes from the angle you are referring to.  From the backs, it is a nice draw around the huge tree and then find out what you have left.  I hit one that was more hook than draw and I had a 170yd 7iron in on a par 5.  I have also flared drives out to the right and you now have 240 plus in which for me is a definite layup with the large carry over water and you are dead right or left.  Such an awesome risk/reward hole with a pretty large landing area off the tee but a very penal second shot if you miss...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Shriner said:

One of my favorite holes in golf.  That being said, I am probably not envisioning the shot you are trying to hit or I have never played the tee boxes from the angle you are referring to.  From the backs, it is a nice draw around the huge tree and then find out what you have left.  I hit one that was more hook than draw and I had a 170yd 7iron in on a par 5.  I have also flared drives out to the right and you now have 240 plus in which for me is a definite layup with the large carry over water and you are dead right or left.  Such an awesome risk/reward hole with a pretty large landing area off the tee but a very penal second shot if you miss...

I was playing the blues and they had them moved up a tee spot

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

1 hour ago, TheBear95 said:

Yeah, same here. But, not a real surprise given Titleist's overall ball market share.

That's why I call the KSig the #1 lost ball in golf. Nowhere near the market share, but lately, I have been finding them nearly at the same rate as ProV1s. Extremely impressive!

My in laws were in town so my wife and I brought them to our club. Her dad is a terrible golfer and needed balls. Everything is member charged and when the pro asked her dad what he played of course he answered prov1. Call me cheap, but no shot I was buying him a box of Pro V1s just to shoot 150 and lose them all. "He'll take velocities" lol. 

People see them on TV and think that is what they should be using. Such a waste of money for most golfers. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mci711 said:

My in laws were in town so my wife and I brought them to our club. Her dad is a terrible golfer and needed balls. Everything is member charged and when the pro asked her dad what he played of course he answered prov1. Call me cheap, but no shot I was buying him a box of Pro V1s just to shoot 150 and lose them all. "He'll take velocities" lol. 

People see them on TV and think that is what they should be using. Such a waste of money for most golfers. 

No doubt. I kid, but playing the KSig is just smart if you're going to be losing balls during a round. How many Velocities did he take home? 

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II