Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

17 hours ago, geochitown said:

Nice to hear that the greens are in better shape than in previous years.  I probably last played there in 2015-2016, I think.

I think the drives on 5, 6 and 7 are somewhat challenging.

5 for the tight landing area (normally need less than driver) and water on left.

6 for OB left and water (although it's pretty far right)

7 for water right (more in play and fairway tilts to the right)

looking at the map, the drive on 10 is pretty tough also!

good one to make sure you're still on your toes as you begin the back nine.

5 is definitely tough if you're using driver. I usually go driving iron off the tee and aim for the sand trap on the right.

6 has more room than it looks since you have to get a pretty good poke to reach those traps, but it's certainly not wide open. You can even just go 3 wood and aim for the traps, hopefully taking the water completely out of play

7 I think is pretty easy, but again it depends on how far you hit it. You can aim right of the traps (towards the where the cart path starts) and take the water and traps out of play if you hit it long enough.

10 is shortttt, so you can easily still score with less than driver off the tee but it can get tight depending on your landing area if using driver.

I personally think 4 is the hardest driving hole. I f*cking hate that hole. 

Edited by cpeck12
  • Like 1

Titleist TS2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

Speaking of Village Links… I found this Seamus ball marker in the middle of the 14th fairway a couple days ago. Pro shop was closed so I wasn’t able to turn it in (will next week). Figured I’d take a shot in the dark and post it here in case anyone knows who “TGB” is. 

63C683AE-B57C-44C0-99E9-D92F2AC2A5BA.jpeg.3358472f191c324dbfc9f7613a0cc2ac.jpeg4CCCCB68-8938-4B7D-B2B9-88A9AC70B654.jpeg.91e2028ab3be3f9cf396e5ebdc4975ee.jpeg

• Like 2

Titleist TS2 Titleist TS2 3w Titleist TS2 Hybrid Titleist T100 5-PW Titleist 718 T-MB 4i Vokey SM8 50*, 56*, 60* Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport

Everyone in our Charter network was given today off along with Monday so I got in 36 holes at White Hawk. My original plan was to play Harrison Hills and then get White Hawk on the way back but all the grandparents were booked and my brother could only babysit until 4:30. Easy choice course-wise. 

Black to Silver was really wet. NWI got a lot of rain overnight and the tee boxes and fairways were kind of shaggy. Because Silver needs to play longer. Anyway, I had lots of drives with very little roll but it was definitely scoring conditions with the soft turf and receptive greens. I hit 7/9 greens on Black and 6/9 greens on Silver but couldn’t buy a birdie putt. They must have just had a greens keeper revenge or something because all the pins were cut in brutal spots. All were in back corners or right behind bunkers. Center pins were all cut on the side of ridges. Anyway, I was very happy with my 74. Aside from back to back bogies on Silver 3 and 4, I played very conservative David Simms golf. 

Grey to Red was outstanding. The mowers had been out and the greens were very smooth. Good pace as well. Probably at 10 or 10.5. I had four great birdie looks on the first four holes but only got one to drop on the third hole. Still, lots of easy pars. More Simms golf. Two bogies on 7 and 9 left me with a 37 at the turn but Red was very getable. No silly pin positions to deal with and it’s under 3300 yards from the Whites. My tee shot on 7 Red hit the stick and trickled to three feet. I almost got to ask if an ace counts if I’m the only one who sees it but it was not to be. Still, -1 on Red for an even par 72. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST190G 9° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Mizuno ST200 TS 15° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 917F2 18° w/ Fujikura Evolution II 661 Stiff

Titleist 816H1 21° w/ Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 Stiff

Honma TW747v 4-10 w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Honma TW W4 50°(9°)/54°(10°)/58°(8°) w/ Nippon Modus 125

Piretti Cottonwood 2

Back out to Prairie Bluffs.  Nothing new to add on the course.   It's in great shape,  greens are rolling nice.   Course was really wet to start but dried out a bit as the day progressed.  3:40 on the pace with a full tee sheet.   They've been the most reliable course for pace this year, and proof sub 4 hour rounds on a full course are possible. 

My game has just been something else the last month,  not in a good way.   Snap hooks off the tee, rolled the hybrid a few times.   Very frustrating.   5 of 14 fairways,  10 greens,  the bad resulted in a double and a triple and a few bogies.  Throw a few birds and I managed a 79.  Two highlights today.   Par 3 third i hit a shot that landed short of the pin and lipped out for what would have been my first hole in one.   On 18 I repeated that with another lip out.  

Playing Mistwood next Sunday,  not sure if I'll have anything in between.   If my game stays this way I'll probably call it a season after that.   I don't like playing when it's below 65, so unless I'm playing good it's not worth it. 

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim 2 8* Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 73x

Taylormade M3 3 Wood Accra FX 300

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 18* Aldila RIP Phenom

Taylormade P770  4-PW Rifle 6.0

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Silver Lake North early afternoon. Probably the longest 4:40 round of my life - felt like 5:30+.  Basically, every time we pulled up to the next tee, the group in front of us was either just teeing off or still waiting to tee off.  Just your run of the mill weekend round of golf.  Course was pretty soft - lots of mud balls off the tee.  Greens were also quite shaggy and soft - running maybe 8-9.  Game is still in mid season form - playing well, and all of the sudden bad decision after bad decision.  Result? 1 double, 1 triple, 2 birdies and a 78.  

Edited by stasek
  • Like 3

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges.

Trekked to beautiful Huntley and played Pinecrest yesterday. Beautiful day, hopefully not the last of the year.  Although the course was extremely green, it was mud ball city. No roll in the fairways, whatsoever.  The bunkers were in surprisingly good condition considering the rain. Got around the front in a spiffy 90 minutes however, the back was an hour longer. Not understanding the whole wait until the green is cleared concept but apparently that's a new thing. The practice green was slow and shaggy but the greens on the course were running crisply.

• Like 3

Wow, so much to say about Village Links of Glen Ellyn.  The ultimate of mixing good with bad.  Greens were awesome speed but VERY bumpy, to the point it affected putts.  Fairways were perfect, like carpet but I was a foot off the fairway on 9 and in hard pan dirt, no chance.  That happened numerous times to our group.  The layout was exactly as mentioned above, not very many  memorable holes but still enjoyable.   There were two tee shots that were literally affected by overhanging trees, that cannot happen.  I was on the backs and was told to use a different tee box but I figured...play it as it lies...lol.  I played great so I guess I should not complain (44-41-85) but I like to be honest and if I did not hit perfect tee shots on 5 and 10, those holes could have been brutal with zero landing area.  I guess at 74.9, it's not supposed to be easy.  I will say this, it did not feel like 7200 yards and that is a testament to the course.

The 19th hole is amongst the best in the Chicagoland suburbs, right there with Bowes, Mistwood, etc.  Food was excellent and atmosphere was great.  I would definitely head back but man, they need to clear the trees that affect the tee shots from the back tees.  There was a hole on the back where you would be completely screwed if you play a cut.  My guess is that the back tees don't get alot of play though as the tee boxes were perfect whereas the white tee boxes were chewed up.  On a side note, the staff was also super nice.  Pace was great and we had a wonderful time...nice course.

• Like 2

With the Packers playing at noon today, Bear and I went up to Wisconsin to hopefully take advantage of empty courses. We definitely wanted to get back to Fire Ridge and, since Washington County is almost impossible to get on these days, that left us with either Mee-Kwon Park (Bear's choice) or Kettle Hills. I sold him on Kettle Hills and...umm...Bear was right. KH is a really nice piece of property with rolling hills, natural terrain, and a nice mix of woodland and parkland holes. This makes sense given how close it is to Erin Hills and Washington County. However, whereas EH and WC were designed by professional course architects, Kettle Hills was designed by the property owner. The end result is a facility with a lot of potential but some serious agronomy issues. Most tee boxes have trees on three sides and, as a result, very little sunlight gets to the turf. With rain last night and during today's round, nearly every box was just mud. Also, the green speeds were wildly inconsistent and several fairways that were tree-lined on both sides were also quite muddy. It was really too bad, because with the leaves changing already that far north, there were some outstanding views. I struck the ball extremely well, with 14 greens in regulation, but couldn't buy a birdie putt. 75. 

Fire Ridge was in outstanding shape. The greens were very smooth and rolling at about 10, the fairways drained well given the amount of rain they'd gotten over the past 12 hours, and the tee boxes actually had grass on them. The bunkers were very wet and a few low spots were soaked, but overall paying a bit extra was worth it. However...

We got stuck behind a foursome on the first tee, which seemed fine at first. They played from the correct tees and we assumed the numerous practice swings they all took were because they had not started playing yet. Surely, they would not each continue to take 7-9 practice swings with a Jason Day alignment routine. And if they did, surely they'd let the twosome behind them go through. You know where this is going. They all did their insane routines EVERY. SINGLE. SWING. They also spent absurd amounts of time looking in the fescue for wayward shots (shockingly, the ridiculous pre-shot measure-measure-swing-swing-swing-half swing-half-swing-half swing-swing-step back-actually make contact approach wasn't effective). Meanwhile, Bear and I both play very fast and were locked in. We reached them on every tee box on the front before they were done yet they didn't offer to let us play through until I finally basically demanded it on 11. Did one guy throw a fit? You know it. However, with bad weather coming in, I was not about to keep standing around. A few holes later a threesome waved us through (hooray for etiquette!) and from there we were home free. I made the turn with a 33 and shot a 37 on the back for a 70. 

• Like 4

Piretti Cottonwood 2

7 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

With the Packers playing at noon today, Bear and I went up to Wisconsin to hopefully take advantage of empty courses. We definitely wanted to get back to Fire Ridge and, since Washington County is almost impossible to get on these days, that left us with either Mee-Kwon Park (Bear's choice) or Kettle Hills. I sold him on Kettle Hills and...umm...Bear was right. KH is a really nice piece of property with rolling hills, natural terrain, and a nice mix of woodland and parkland holes. This makes sense given how close it is to Erin Hills and Washington County. However, whereas EH and WC were designed by professional course architects, Kettle Hills was designed by the property owner. The end result is a facility with a lot of potential but some serious agronomy issues. Most tee boxes have trees on three sides and, as a result, very little sunlight gets to the turf. With rain last night and during today's round, nearly every box was just mud. Also, the green speeds were wildly inconsistent and several fairways that were tree-lined on both sides were also quite muddy. It was really too bad, because with the leaves changing already that far north, there were some outstanding views. I struck the ball extremely well, with 14 greens in regulation, but couldn't buy a birdie putt. 75. 

Fire Ridge was in outstanding shape. The greens were very smooth and rolling at about 10, the fairways drained well given the amount of rain they'd gotten over the past 12 hours, and the tee boxes actually had grass on them. The bunkers were very wet and a few low spots were soaked, but overall paying a bit extra was worth it. However...

We got stuck behind a foursome on the first tee, which seemed fine at first. They played from the correct tees and we assumed the numerous practice swings they all took were because they had not started playing yet. Surely, they would not each continue to take 7-9 practice swings with a Jason Day alignment routine. And if they did, surely they'd let the twosome behind them go through. You know where this is going. They all did their insane routines EVERY. SINGLE. SWING. They also spent absurd amounts of time looking in the fescue for wayward shots (shockingly, the ridiculous pre-shot measure-measure-swing-swing-swing-half swing-half-swing-half swing-swing-step back-actually make contact approach wasn't effective). Meanwhile, Bear and I both play very fast and were locked in. We reached them on every tee box on the front before they were done yet they didn't offer to let us play through until I finally basically demanded it on 11. Did one guy throw a fit? You know it. However, with bad weather coming in, I was not about to keep standing around. A few holes later a threesome waved us through (hooray for etiquette!) and from there we were home free. I made the turn with a 33 and shot a 37 on the back for a 70. 

Man...I still don't get not letting folks playing through.  I played with two others yesterday and my 2 playing partners (famlly) were the slow ones.  I couldnt take the foursome rising up on us and waved them through.  What's the big deal with doing that?  I play better as I dont have people riding up on me, and the people behind me get to get on with their round.

• Like 4

There are so many new players since the pandemic and that's added to the pace challenge. No concept of etiquette coupled with no desire to learn. At this point with the significantly increased fees, courses should invest in a "Player's Assistant" to keep things moving or to put groups in the proper slot.  They should also tell players on the first tee what the pace of play is and that if they aren't able to keep up, they'll be put into position to stay in position.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

There are so many new players since the pandemic and that's added to the pace challenge. No concept of etiquette coupled with no desire to learn. At this point with the significantly increased fees, courses should invest in a "Player's Assistant" to keep things moving or to put groups in the proper slot.  They should also tell players on the first tee what the pace of play is and that if they aren't able to keep up, they'll be put into position to stay in position.

We need some temps in the 40s. It usually takes care of this problem.

While it is easy to cast blame on new golfers, they are not the problem. Most newbies I find tend to be hyper-aware of what's going on. No, it is experienced players. Guys who block five hours for a round and damn well make sure they squeeze every minute out of it. Elaborate pre-shot routines, a ton of practice swings, marking two footers, not playing ready golf, etc. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TS3 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan 612

1 hour ago, TheBear95 said:

While it is easy to cast blame on new golfers, they are not the problem. Most newbies I find tend to be hyper-aware of what's going on. No, it is experienced players. Guys who block five hours for a round and damn well make sure they squeeze every minute out of it. Elaborate pre-shot routines, a ton of practice swings, marking two footers, not playing ready golf, etc. 

... Playing 5 or 6 times a week and about 80% of the time as a single paired with strangers I have played with my share of slow groups. My two observations are people are either considerate or inconsiderate and that can be beginner or experienced. Although it happens more with the 20-30 somethings than older players, older players are not immune from being inconsiderate, but I am always a little amazed at how someone can play on a public golf course and be completely unaware of the people around them. Like someone in Costco talking very loudly on their cell phone up and down every isle unaware of the people trying to shop and talk to each other at a normal decibel or even think without their phone "conversation" drowning everything out. The second is most slow groups I am paired with never have to wait on others so they have no idea what it is like to be behind themselves. They tee off at their leisure on every hole because there is nobody in front of them. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 10.5* ... Diamana Limited 65R
TaylorMade SIM2 Max 18*  ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R

TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R

Taylormade Sim Max Hy 22* ... Diamana Limited 65R

4-Wedge Cobra King MIM Tour ... Steelfiber 95R
Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Steelfiber 95R
TaylorMade MG3 58/8*... Steelfiber 95R
Cleveland Huntington 11S ... 33.5"

2 hours ago, chrisf60526 said:

Man...I still don't get not letting folks playing through.  I played with two others yesterday and my 2 playing partners (famlly) were the slow ones.  I couldnt take the foursome rising up on us and waved them through.  What's the big deal with doing that?  I play better as I dont have people riding up on me, and the people behind me get to get on with their round.

If we were riding I think they would have let us play through, but since we were walkers I'm sure that factored into not doing the obvious. People still have this belief that carts play faster. No, playing ready golf, hitting fairways, hitting greens, chipping close, playing from the correct tees, and not grinding over every shot plays faster. Being a dad has mellowed me a bit so I'm softening my anti-cart stance, though I won't take one myself. Anyway, maybe a person is walking or maybe they're riding. But the actual mode of transportation doesn't - or at least shouldn't - matter. Good pace is good pace and bad pace makes me want to claw my eyes out (though not being CPO yesterday at either course allowed the carts to chew up the turf, so maybe I should re-think this newfound mellowness). 

• Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood 2

3 hours ago, chrisf60526 said:

If you and @idchristoper want to see some gems, there's a thread about this in the rules section.  Some of the responses gives you a good insight of the mindset of these people. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

3 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

This is why Prairie Bluff has become our go to.  Tee sheet was packed on Saturday, the 'Players Assistants" were out there doing their thing and keeping people moving.  It's almost unheard of to get around anywhere on a weekend in under 4 hours, they have managed to do it every single time I've been out there this year. 

• Like 2

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy

Was scheduled to play Harborside, last time was prob 18 yrs ago. We cancelled due to rough weather forecasted early pm.

Refusing to let players to play through is definitely a mind boggler. That being said, I have a buddy who hates let play thru and he is a very good golfer. He claims it ruins his game. I just chuckle. Methinks he is OCD or he is too macho. It's probably the former.

Last week at Gleneagles on a par 3, a threesome was still not on the green when I got to the tee box. After they putted out, one of them dropped a ball to attempt a long putt. They definitely saw me on the tee box. Luckily, course was somewhat empty, so I skipped in front of them. Prior to the par 3, I was in the fw for at least 4 holes waiting for them to putt out. They acted like I wasn't there. Oh well! 

15 hcp

22 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

If you and @idchristoper want to see some gems, there's a thread about this in the rules section.  Some of the responses gives you a good insight of the mindset of these people. 

I'm eating lunch and reading that thread. My word. What a clown show. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TS3 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Byron Morgan 612

Decent day this morning at Glencoe. I arrived before the first group teed off hoping that there might be a cancellation, but no luck. The course was a bit of a mess. I saw late last week that it was walking only, but they must have caved in like a house of cards over the weekend. There were more white flags and rope marking off GUR than I could count. Fairways were very soft with little rollout. Plenty of saturated areas with cart tire damage. Bunkers needed a good grooming. The greens were very nice, though. Probably rolling at 10, although a few seemed slower.

Pace was the usual headache inducing slog (at first). I wound up teeing off in the third group out. The first group was sent out a few minutes early by the starter, but of course two of the players in the 2nd group just had to show up at their schedule time. By the time they were hitting the first group was halfway through the 2nd hole. One of the players must have taken a dozen practice swings. OK, I'll let that slide. Two of the players required a breakfast ball, and they spent a few minutes looking for a pair of wayward teeshots. When we reached the 3rd green I could see that the first foursome had wisely split into a riding twosome and a walking twosome. The riders were in the middle of the 6th fairway. The walkers were just leaving the 4th tee. Rather than spend the morning waiting for the group in front of us, I wisely decided to skip two holes, and headed over to the 6th tee. When I was walking up the 18th fairway my original playing partners were waiting in the 10th fairway for the green to clear. Excellent decision.

• Like 4

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 10/10/2021 at 11:21 AM, DavePelz4 said:

Trekked to beautiful Huntley and played Pinecrest yesterday. Beautiful day, hopefully not the last of the year.  Although the course was extremely green, it was mud ball city. No roll in the fairways, whatsoever.  The bunkers were in surprisingly good condition considering the rain. Got around the front in a spiffy 90 minutes however, the back was an hour longer. Not understanding the whole wait until the green is cleared concept but apparently that's a new thing. The practice green was slow and shaggy but the greens on the course were running crisply.

They have pretty nice greens there. You never get rollout on their fairways because they are Kentucky bluegrass, especially when it’s wet.

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Played at Sand Valley yesterday. Great service, great facilities. I had a fried chicken sandwich with fries at their food truck and it might have been the best I’ve ever had. Wind was blowing 30 mph+ on the range, but it died down after a few holes. I’d never played on fine fescue fairways before, but I liked them. Even after all the rain, Sand Valley was firm and fast. You can get in some impossible places right off the green, but luckily I only got in one on 8. Bunker must have been 10 feet tall. I hit every fairway but one, but my iron game was off. The pull carts glided over the fine fescue and the walk was a lot easier than I imagined. We played the 18th hole in the complete dark, but we finished. 

I liked the course, but I was underwhelmed. A lot of the holes seemed to be too similar. I had a great time, but I wouldn’t go back. I was told the on-site lodges and houses are already completely booked for 2022, so the place is clearly popular. 

• Like 3

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

2 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

They have pretty nice greens there. You never get rollout on their fairways because they are Kentucky bluegrass, especially when it’s wet.

All in all, for a park district course, they do a lot of good things.  As is the case with many courses, Pinecrest has taken a lot of trees out which should improve the playability while also helping the health of the course. The green were rolling well, albeit too many ball marks as usual but that 20 seconds it takes to fix a ball mark is apparently too much. 

Pinecrest has also followed the recent trend for jacking up prices. Think it was $69.00 and with all respect to them, it's not a $69.00 course.  Fun to play once a year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBear95 said:

I'm eating lunch and reading that thread. My word. What a clown show. 

... Just did the same and Clown Show sums it up. Just posted a long reply and it should be interesting to hear the closed minded replies. Used my favorite John Cleese video. 

• Like 1

@MountainKing PB is still my fav track in the area and I don't live that close. Pace always seems decent there even on the weekends.

Played a few rounds this weekend. 

First off, University Golf Course yesterday.  This has to be the biggest trash course in the area.  I have never seen a course in worse condition and I live by Fresh Meadows.  First off, the rough was 3 inches thick.  That's fine.  Rough is supposed to be penal.  The fairways were not cut...at all.  Also, you were rewarded with a good tee shot in the fairway but looking for your ball in an extreme amount of lawmmower clippings.  The greens were diseased, filled with goose droppings, burned out, pitted.  Basically unplayable. What I mean is that you couldnt make a putt due to the sheer amount of junk in your line.  That course  should be embarrassed by their product.  I wish i could get my money back.

White Pines West today.  This is my underrated course of the year.  It's not a bad track, not too hard but has a few trickey spots.  It's usually in good shape.  However, please cut your fairways.  They were semi rough...

I guess end of the season means the lawnmowers arent working....

Edited by chrisf60526
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

We need some temps in the 40s. It usually takes care of this problem.

... 40's brrrrrr. Gonna be only 70* tomorrow and I am sure I will need a jacket!  🤣  As I post about beautiful blue skies and warm temps in Phoenix over the winter, I am experiencing my first fall Over Seeding season. All courses close down for 2-4 weeks and when they reopen it is CPO for up to 6 weeks. I understand even me walking with my remote MGI cart will be tough as they water religiously to help the new grass grow so it is gonna be a rough 2 months. "Rough" being relative of course. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... 40's brrrrrr. Gonna be only 70* tomorrow and I am sure I will need a jacket!  🤣  As I post about beautiful blue skies and warm temps in Phoenix over the winter, I am experiencing my first fall Over Seeding season. All courses close down for 2-4 weeks and when they reopen it is CPO for up to 6 weeks. I understand even me walking with my remote MGI cart will be tough as they water religiously to help the new grass grow so it is gonna be a rough 2 months. "Rough" being relative of course. 

I am that rare bird that loves cold weather golf (except at Lost Marsh). I usually do not have any issues getting loose. I always walk, so after a hole or two, I'm plenty warm for the round. And, layering up does not bother me one bit. I feel I actually swing the club better in a base layer. 

We are still waiting here for some real fall weather. So far, September and early October have been an extension of summer. Shorts and polos. I have had one round so far when it was cool enough for long pants.

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9*
Titleist TSi2 13.5*

Titleist TS2 18*

Titleist TS3 23*
Srixon ZX5 (5-PW)
Byron Morgan 612

I'll take sunny and 48 degrees over this damp and humid stuff.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Ping G400 Max 10.5 - Fujikura Vista Pro 65 Flex-X 44.5"
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G410 5h 26 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311XP Gen3 6, 0311P Gen3 7-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S
Ping Glide 3.0 52-12 SS, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 SS Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

20 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

I am that rare bird that loves cold weather golf (except at Lost Marsh). I usually do not have any issues getting loose. I always walk, so after a hole or two, I'm plenty warm for the round. And, layering up does not bother me one bit. I feel I actually swing the club better in a base layer. 

... I am guessing you are born and raised in the area? I was born and raised in the south so rarely saw s**w and then it melted in a day or two. I didn't experience "real cold" until moving to work at WZZD in Philly. 1.5 years later took a job at WEFM in Chicago arriving in June. I will always remember my first day when the temps were near zero for the first time in my life and showed up to work in fur lined boots, mittens, new down coat and a wool beanie and my Program Director said "Nice outfit. What are you gonna wear when it gets cold?"  😳  

• Haha 3

20 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Decent day this morning at Glencoe. I arrived before the first group teed off hoping that there might be a cancellation, but no luck. The course was a bit of a mess. I saw late last week that it was walking only, but they must have caved in like a house of cards over the weekend. There were more white flags and rope marking off GUR than I could count. Fairways were very soft with little rollout. Plenty of saturated areas with cart tire damage. Bunkers needed a good grooming. The greens were very nice, though. Probably rolling at 10, although a few seemed slower.

Pace was the usual headache inducing slog (at first). I wound up teeing off in the third group out. The first group was sent out a few minutes early by the starter, but of course two of the players in the 2nd group just had to show up at their schedule time. By the time they were hitting the first group was halfway through the 2nd hole. One of the players must have taken a dozen practice swings. OK, I'll let that slide. Two of the players required a breakfast ball, and they spent a few minutes looking for a pair of wayward teeshots. When we reached the 3rd green I could see that the first foursome had wisely split into a riding twosome and a walking twosome. The riders were in the middle of the 6th fairway. The walkers were just leaving the 4th tee. Rather than spend the morning waiting for the group in front of us, I wisely decided to skip two holes, and headed over to the 6th tee. When I was walking up the 18th fairway my original playing partners were waiting in the 10th fairway for the green to clear. Excellent decision.

One of the guys in our group loves his breakfast balls, but his rule is that if the drive causing the breakfast ball requires any type of looking he abandons it.  I don't mind anybody using one, but I do mind them spending 5 minutes looking for a ball that they aren't going to play. 

• Like 1

MG2 50/54/60 S400

TM Itsy Bitsy