Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

3 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I was born in Chicago and am of Scandinavian decent, and I despise cold weather.  My season normally ends when the temps are below 60, especially if the sun isn't out.  Sometimes I wonder if I was adopted given how my cousins and family over in Norway are always out screwing around in the snow.  The only thing still keeping me in this area, besides my job, are my parents.  Once they're gone we're probably going to bounce on out of here. 

I have cold urticaria. My hands, feet, and face swell up and get covered in hives with cold temperatures. Even holding cold drinks swells my fingers up. I had no business being in Chicago the past 6 years. I used to walk to and from work in the worlds largest and unfortunately most expensive parka I could find - it was a necessity. Playing in anything less than 50s is a struggle, I'll do it, but I'll be uncomfortable/itchy the whole time. 

Edited by mci711

10 hours ago, MountainKing said:

his rule is that if the drive causing the breakfast ball requires any type of looking he abandons it.

I know his alter ego.

he spots for the group and he pulled at least two dozen last weekend by walking the rough every time other players stopped for their shots.

• Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

16 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Are there any courses in the area that won't be a quagmire on Saturday?

Always felt that Coyote Run held up quite well after extended periods of rain.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Stonewall Orchard wasn't bad yesterday according to a friend.

I'd say Sunset Valley will be fine

Maybe Heritage Oaks (both are recent renovations with improved drainage.

It's supposed to be blowing pretty good this weekend, so maybe it will get better while one plays 😉

In the past, Arrowhead was another that drained pretty well.

Shepherd's has added some drainage to the 9th and 18th holes and they've improved drainage on the run-ups to the greens.

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

10 minutes ago, geochitown said:

Maybe Heritage Oaks (both are recent renovations with improved drainage.

Heritage Oaks was sloppy when I played it last week. Don't know what they did to improve the drainage during the renovation, but it doesn't seem to have done much for the fairways.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

26 minutes ago, Argonne69 said:

Heritage Oaks was sloppy when I played it last week. Don't know what they did to improve the drainage during the renovation, but it doesn't seem to have done much for the fairways.

I know nothing of Heritage Oaks as I haven't played there, so thanks for the data point.

To be fair, there's been quite a bit of rain in the last 12 days (5 inches in Libertyville).  from Saturday, October 2.

Edited by geochitown

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

let you know how Shepherd's plays Saturday. we have 7:20.

it's the spike time of the year.

normally I don't think twice, but with all the leaves and wet ground, they really do make a difference.

installed Helix cleats in my Adipowers and they're grippy.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

I think tomorrow will be final round of the year due to some issues in my lower back but still looking forward to a little chilly 9am start at Steeplechase. Since it’s my last round I put together a completely new bag of tools. Brand new set of Homna irons that I got for a steal at PGASS. Had to peel the plastic off the heads. Driver is a TS3 that has been used very little, since being replaced with a Sim for two years. Fairway is my old ‘16 M2 3hl. Demoing the new Cally UW. And grabbing some old wedges but not sure which ones. My custom Spider is taking the day off and a Toulon Columbus is in the bag.

Really want to see how if any of this will change my game or scoring.

• Like 2
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Shepherd's was 90 degree, but walking was unaffected.

wet snaggy rough. not too much fairway roll.

some greens fast as usual, some  oddly slow and some pin positions were in extreme spots.

wind went from mild to three club type by the time we were on the last four or five holes.

all that considered - tremendous morning.

to add -

friend of mine played there this morning and found similar conditions.

surprised there was still some casual water and the greens were

fast above the pin and slow below.

Edited by @_the_crook
data
  • Like 4

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

Mistwood today.   I was expecting a lot with how many people rave about this place,  coupled with the price.   I was pretty blown away by the practice facilities,  although being on mats tho was annoying,  if we had paid the mid summer rate I'd probably complain to the pro shop. There should be some grass available for those playing.

Course conditions were outstanding, with the rain I don't think they've been able to mow the rough, it was almost unplayable if you were in it.   Greens were fast, but held shots.

Pace was miserable,  4:50. Not a ranger to be seen anywhere.   The biggest let down.   Next let down being the layout.  The course just didn't do anything for me.  It felt like it had an identity crisis in not knowing if wanted to be a links course,  a parkland course or some tricked up Pete Dye course.   The two par 5s on The front looked identical, the par 4s felt like stuff we'd see at Bolingbrook.   My one buddy commented that some of the course felt like it was Carillon with some elevation and undulation.  Unlikely we'll be back, although I would spend a day on the range there if it were on grass. 

My game,  well.   I had a great front with a 38.  Had a couple good looks, could have been better. My back 9 I just fell apart.  For some reason the pace was getting to me and I was just getting bored.  Lotta dumb errors, too many double bogies ended in a season high 9 of 45.  

• Like 3

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

2 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Mistwood today.   I was expecting a lot with how many people rave about this place,  coupled with the price.   I was pretty blown away by the practice facilities,  although being on mats tho was annoying,  if we had paid the mid summer rate I'd probably complain to the pro shop. There should be some grass available for those playing.

Course conditions were outstanding, with the rain I don't think they've been able to mow the rough, it was almost unplayable if you were in it.   Greens were fast, but held shots.

Pace was miserable,  4:50. Not a ranger to be seen anywhere.   The biggest let down.   Next let down being the layout.  The course just didn't do anything for me.  It felt like it had an identity crisis in not knowing if wanted to be a links course,  a parkland course or some tricked up Pete Dye course.   The two par 5s on The front looked identical, the par 4s felt like stuff we'd see at Bolingbrook.   My one buddy commented that some of the course felt like it was Carillon with some elevation and undulation.  Unlikely we'll be back, although I would spend a day on the range there if it were on grass. 

My game,  well.   I had a great front with a 38.  Had a couple good looks, could have been better. My back 9 I just fell apart.  For some reason the pace was getting to me and I was just getting bored.  Lotta dumb errors, too many double bogies ended in a season high 9 of 45.  

Different stroke for different folks I guess. Carillon and Mistwood couldn't play, look, or feel any different. 4:50 sucks, but it is going to be one of the last really nice weekends. I think with public weekend golf anything between 4 and 5 should be pretty understood, thats just the way things are. That is why I joined a private club. I hated playing over 4 hours, but isn't it to be expected now? 

Lastly, you mentioned the practice area and the rain in the area. The reason they are off mats is to not ruin the practice area. A reason it is so nice is because they don't cater to every complaint in spite of their own conditioning. If they didn't have mats and the ground was chewed up then there would be complaints about that... Can't win. 

22 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Different stroke for different folks I guess. Carillon and Mistwood couldn't play, look, or feel any different. 4:50 sucks, but it is going to be one of the last really nice weekends. I think with public weekend golf anything between 4 and 5 should be pretty understood, thats just the way things are. That is why I joined a private club. I hated playing over 4 hours, but isn't it to be expected now? 

Lastly, you mentioned the practice area and the rain in the area. The reason they are off mats is to not ruin the practice area. A reason it is so nice is because they don't cater to every complaint in spite of their own conditioning. If they didn't have mats and the ground was chewed up then there would be complaints about that... Can't win. 

4:20 is acceptable on a weekend,  4:50 is not. Not at least having one ranger on the course?  Come on. 

As far as the range,  they can easily set aside bays to accommodate those playing with their setup.  I know how this all works with the weather.   A course that demands top dollar,  should be able to sustain and recover quickly. That's part of why you charge.   Putting people who are paying $100+ on mats to warm up is being lazy and cheap.  They're advertising country club experience,  mats is not it.  

• Like 4

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

1 hour ago, MountainKing said:

4:20 is acceptable on a weekend,  4:50 is not. Not at least having one ranger on the course?  Come on. 

As far as the range,  they can easily set aside bays to accommodate those playing with their setup.  I know how this all works with the weather.   A course that demands top dollar,  should be able to sustain and recover quickly. That's part of why you charge.   Putting people who are paying $100+ on mats to warm up is being lazy and cheap.  They're advertising country club experience,  mats is not it.  

Mistwood, Cog Hill, Cantigny, Glen Club and The Preserve all have mats to be used at certain times, they are also the most expensive public courses in the area. I guess they are all lazy and cheap. 

Great day at the Preserve yesterday

Played the Preserve for the first time in 2 years, and the clubhouse is a great addition to the facility.  Course was CPO on Saturday, and partial CPO on Sunday (course is a great walk). 

CPO yesterday was just the low-lying holes and hole 1.  Greens were moving and tough pins too...  Great to have returned and see one of my favorite courses continuing to mature.

It took us 4 hr 30 minutes and the groups in front moved along well (ours was an 8:50 am tee time).

Part of the issue was my playing partner playing there for the first time and his first round of the year, and in general, I think the Preserve plays tough. 

No complaints by me on pace (the player's assistant was moving around the course and we saw him 3 different times during the round.

Early time allowed us to escape the increasing winds, sun kept the walk comfortable. 

Colder temps were costing a 1/2-1 club on distance...

• Like 2

TM TP5x

11 hours ago, mci711 said:

Mistwood, Cog Hill, Cantigny, Glen Club and The Preserve all have mats to be used at certain times, they are also the most expensive public courses in the area. I guess they are all lazy and cheap. 

Cog always has grass tee's available.   I've never been on mats at Cantigny or the Preserve.  I'm sure it happens, but I'm fairly local to Preserve so I end up on that range a lot and never seen it on mats (again doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I've just never experienced it).  When you're paying top dollar, you should have a top dollar experience.  If this were the day after rain (or in this case a week) - I could understand, but Mistwood on Sunday was not wet anywhere.   When people aren't using grass, the course doesn't have to utilize staff to seed after use, it's absolutely nothing more than a cost saving measure.   The course I grew up on and worked at for almost a decade never had mats, the range was always in great shape because the grounds crew worked to keep it that way, and this wasn't any high end course.  Are you saying a course with $100+ green fees can't afford to keep their range up?    If you're buying a Corvette, I would hope you'd be a little let down if it only had a 4 cylinder under the hood......

You'd probably be a little let down if your private club went to mats 5 days a week.

Edited by MountainKing

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

51 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

Cog always has grass tee's available.   I've never been on mats at Cantigny or the Preserve.  I'm sure it happens, but I'm fairly local to Preserve so I end up on that range a lot and never seen it on mats (again doesn't mean it doesn't happen, I've just never experienced it).  When you're paying top dollar, you should have a top dollar experience.  If this were the day after rain (or in this case a week) - I could understand, but Mistwood on Sunday was not wet anywhere.   When people aren't using grass, the course doesn't have to utilize staff to seed after use, it's absolutely nothing more than a cost saving measure.   The course I grew up on and worked at for almost a decade never had mats, the range was always in great shape because the grounds crew worked to keep it that way, and this wasn't any high end course.  Are you saying a course with $100+ green fees can't afford to keep their range up?    If you're buying a Corvette, I would hope you'd be a little let down if it only had a 4 cylinder under the hood......

You'd probably be a little let down if your private club went to mats 5 days a week.

I get what you are saying. I just think Mistwood is probably doing 200+ rounds a day and the range takes a beating. 99% of the people out there aren't shooting what you shot and probably don't know how to properly hit on a range (divot pattern) and are just chewing up the grass. To me it is something small that I don't really mind, but also see your side to it. I wish public courses took a day each way to just be completely closed. It would never happen obviously, but I am all for maintaining any way possible. 

• Like 1

No bone in this discussion, but the range at the Preserve yesterday was mats 

I think the sun and breeze yesterday and the clear skies helped to to dry courses across the board 

Edited by geochitown
  • Like 1

TM TP5x

2 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I get what you are saying. I just think Mistwood is probably doing 200+ rounds a day and the range takes a beating. 99% of the people out there aren't shooting what you shot and probably don't know how to properly hit on a range (divot pattern) and are just chewing up the grass. To me it is something small that I don't really mind, but also see your side to it. I wish public courses took a day each way to just be completely closed. It would never happen obviously, but I am all for maintaining any way possible. 

With the way I've been playing the last few weeks, that 99% is probably more like 60% now lol   

Yeah I get it - maybe I'm expecting too much.   I don't think most need a full day, but they should be closing for half a day weekly for maintenance.   Then again, what do I know, there's a reason I'm not running a course.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Oak Brook is grass only, and they definitely move them around a lot, but it's pretty normal to find hardly any grass at all. This time of year (normally) it's not so easy to get grass to grow back, but I get it.

Played a 4man big cup scramble this weekend, and much to the chagrin of the pace of play guys around here, played as 8somes to keep scores honest. Came in at over 6 hours, thankfully it was a beautiful day. Contributed little to nothing as my swing is complete trash right now, if not for a scramble format I might have ROOB'd it was so bad. Think I might shut it down for a few months to let my body forget what it's thinking right now, hoping to recover for Bandon in Feb. Rest of my group picked it up and we came in at -18, which was just good enough to lose by a shot.

Played Lake Bluff yesterday morning. It was a mix of good and bad.

The Good - Missed a frost delay but likely a degree or two. It was close. The rough in some areas had patchy frost. At a place like Pine Meadow, they would have had a delay, at Lake Bluff no problem. I had the first time and the pro shop let me go out first by myself. I was hoping that would be the case and I walked the course in just over two hours. I'll take that every Sunday.

The Bad - Lake Bluff does not have cart paths and yet they let the carts out. Awful. The carts were just tearing apart the wet rough. Huge cart tracks all over the place, which created a muddy mess. Just silly. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Played for the first time this year at Springbrook, even though it's less than 5 minutes from the house.  Walked on as a single, which I haven't done this year either. Paired up with 3 guys who were fun to golf with although one of the gentlemen probably shot in the 70s on the front alone.  The course was like others, still wet, rough wasn't mowed but fortunately i kept the ball in the fairway which was nice.  Learned that they're shutting down Springbrook for a year starting next summer and they're re-doing much of the course while keeping the routing intact.  Right now they're putting in the deep drainage pipes in the traditional bad areas and the project is going to re-slope the course, they're redoing all of the bunkers and it sounds like they're going to go rustic on the bunkers ala The Preserve.

Very surprised to see a few well fed coyotes actively roaming the course mid afternoon.  Guessing there were 4 unique coyotes and would guess they're all less than 2 years. Although they stayed their distance, the seemed very comfortable with the surroundings and weren't bothered by people. 

Only played 13 holes which was disappointing. The front was on pace right at 2 hours but to play the first 4 holes on the back was 90 minutes and no way would the round finish in the daylight.  Of course no marshals and the 4some in front of us couldn't give a rats arse about pace as they had a hole and a half open in front of them and were very comfortable hitting multiple shots off the tees and going back and retrying putts multiple times. 

As is the case with every other course, Springbrook has their rates up 20% from previous years.  Good for them, I guess.

18 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Played for the first time this year at Springbrook, even though it's less than 5 minutes from the house.

... After 4 rounds, all over 5 hours to play, I never went back to Springbrook. I was a little surprised to see 4:20 the suggested time so no wonder over 5 hours is the norm. Naperbrook was almost always under 4 hours especially during the week so when I wasn't playing Prairie Bluff, I was at Naperbrook. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

On 10/18/2021 at 11:04 AM, VNutz said:

Oak Brook is grass only, and they definitely move them around a lot, but it's pretty normal to find hardly any grass at all. This time of year (normally) it's not so easy to get grass to grow back, but I get it.

Played a 4man big cup scramble this weekend, and much to the chagrin of the pace of play guys around here, played as 8somes to keep scores honest. Came in at over 6 hours, thankfully it was a beautiful day. Contributed little to nothing as my swing is complete trash right now, if not for a scramble format I might have ROOB'd it was so bad. Think I might shut it down for a few months to let my body forget what it's thinking right now, hoping to recover for Bandon in Feb. Rest of my group picked it up and we came in at -18, which was just good enough to lose by a shot.

OB could do a better job on their range for sure.  They're not seeding enough during the year to keep up the amount of use it gets.

One thing I should throw in, I probably need to pull back my Mistwood range thoughts a bit.  With the warm weather we've been having it slips my mind that we're mid Oct and about past the grass growing season.  Looking at the long term forcast, my season is probably about over.  I need it in the mid 60's and sunny to be out there playing.  With how poor I've been playing the last month I'm not really itching to get out anyway....but we'll see. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

On 10/18/2021 at 11:37 AM, DavePelz4 said:

Played for the first time this year at Springbrook, even though it's less than 5 minutes from the house.  Walked on as a single, which I haven't done this year either. Paired up with 3 guys who were fun to golf with although one of the gentlemen probably shot in the 70s on the front alone.  The course was like others, still wet, rough wasn't mowed but fortunately i kept the ball in the fairway which was nice.  Learned that they're shutting down Springbrook for a year starting next summer and they're re-doing much of the course while keeping the routing intact.  Right now they're putting in the deep drainage pipes in the traditional bad areas and the project is going to re-slope the course, they're redoing all of the bunkers and it sounds like they're going to go rustic on the bunkers ala The Preserve.

Very surprised to see a few well fed coyotes actively roaming the course mid afternoon.  Guessing there were 4 unique coyotes and would guess they're all less than 2 years. Although they stayed their distance, the seemed very comfortable with the surroundings and weren't bothered by people. 

Only played 13 holes which was disappointing. The front was on pace right at 2 hours but to play the first 4 holes on the back was 90 minutes and no way would the round finish in the daylight.  Of course no marshals and the 4some in front of us couldn't give a rats arse about pace as they had a hole and a half open in front of them and were very comfortable hitting multiple shots off the tees and going back and retrying putts multiple times. 

As is the case with every other course, Springbrook has their rates up 20% from previous years.  Good for them, I guess.

Interesting on Springbrook.  I wonder if they'll make the move to bent grass, tidy some things up in the layout and looks and try to charge $95 a round.....

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

There is supposed to be some "tidying" up of the green complexes and there are allegedly a couple of additional bunkers being added. On 15 for example, there is going to be a bunker added opposite the left bunker which will make that a really tight driving hole unless you're really long and can fly the bunkers.

Have looked for the phase 2 renovation plan on line and not seeing anything as of yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

...there is going to be a bunker added opposite the left bunker which will make that a really tight driving hole unless you're really long and can fly the bunkers.

So no trouble flying those for you then.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]