2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

On 10/17/2021 at 6:42 PM, MountainKing said:

Mistwood today.   I was expecting a lot with how many people rave about this place,  coupled with the price.   I was pretty blown away by the practice facilities,  although being on mats tho was annoying,  if we had paid the mid summer rate I'd probably complain to the pro shop. There should be some grass available for those playing.

Course conditions were outstanding, with the rain I don't think they've been able to mow the rough, it was almost unplayable if you were in it.   Greens were fast, but held shots.

Pace was miserable,  4:50. Not a ranger to be seen anywhere.   The biggest let down.   Next let down being the layout.  The course just didn't do anything for me.  It felt like it had an identity crisis in not knowing if wanted to be a links course,  a parkland course or some tricked up Pete Dye course.   The two par 5s on The front looked identical, the par 4s felt like stuff we'd see at Bolingbrook.   My one buddy commented that some of the course felt like it was Carillon with some elevation and undulation.  Unlikely we'll be back, although I would spend a day on the range there if it were on grass. 

My game,  well.   I had a great front with a 38.  Had a couple good looks, could have been better. My back 9 I just fell apart.  For some reason the pace was getting to me and I was just getting bored.  Lotta dumb errors, too many double bogies ended in a season high 9 of 45.  

Played Mistwood Sunday as well, what time did you tee off? We headed out at 2:30PM and didn't finish because of two foursomes playing unbearably slow. I called the club house twice to b**** about the lack of pace, not sure the message was ever received. Thankfully the slower foursome dropped at the turn. 

Would agree with your assessment, rough was brutal, much longer than it usually is. Greens were moving, but were a bit more nicked up relatively speaking. Shot 83 from the tips, assuming score on 18 since we only got through 17. 

Disagree with the course design, probably one of my favorite courses to play. Also grass range is available all season except after significant rain and late in the season. I have warmed up off the grass every time I've played there this season except for Sunday.

Edited by RGlaze978

4 minutes ago, RGlaze978 said:

Played Mistwood Sunday as well, what time did you tee off? We headed out at 2:30PM and didn't finish because of two foursomes playing unbearably slow. I called the club house twice to b**** about the lack of pace, not sure the message was ever received. Thankfully the slower foursome dropped at the turn. 

Would agree with your assessment, rough was brutal, much longer than it usually is. Greens were moving, but were a bit more nicked up relatively speaking. Shot 83 from the tips, assuming score on 18 since we only got through 17. 

Disagree with the course design, probably one of my favorite courses to play. Also grass range is available all season except after significant rain and late in the season. I have warmed up off the grass every time I've played there this season except for Sunday.

Our tee time was 12:20 but we didn't get off until about 12:35 - The group in front of us were slow as hell, but the group in front of them were snails and had to be a couple holes behind by the time we got to the back.  it's ridiculous that a high end course like Mistwood didn't have a single ranger on the course.

I've heard this course get high praise and be raved about constantly for years.  I didn't see it when I was there.  The wow factor to me was what I saw walking in and the practice facility.  The par 3's were kind of scenic, 7 with the lake in the back, 9 with the clubhouse, 14 with the downhill shot over the lake.  Then you had holes 3 and 8 which looked and played similar.  Pick the side of the fairway you want to go on, avoid the bunkers in the middle and the water right.   Holes 2 and 5 I had pitches into the green,   Hole 13, little dog leg to the right with a fairway the ends, oh yeah hole 6 played the same way, but this time instead of bunkers around the green they put them to the left of the fairway.  Back when you got on holes 11 and 12, they kind of felt like you were playing a fancy Carillon with the houses on the right.   I think with everything I heard, I was expecting to have that same wow factor every hole much like I had when I saw the club house and practice facility. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

5 hours ago, MountainKing said:

I've heard this course get high praise and be raved about constantly for years.  I didn't see it when I was there. 

... Per Public Enemy lyrics "Don't Believe The Hype" it is always difficult for any course to live up to expectations unless it is an 11 on a 1-10 scale. Having Played Mistwood before the changes, I always loved the course and the changes made it even better. But I would not call it a must play. I made that mistake with John Oldenburg then the VP of Design at Aldila when I invited him to play there and he said he liked the course but it wasn't anything special. Of course he has played some of the best courses in the world. I do think playing mostly Cog Hill #1 and occasionally #2, Naperbrook, Prairie Bluff and Carillon as my normal courses, Mistwood seemed like a much better course. 

• Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

11 hours ago, chisag said:

... Per Public Enemy lyrics "Don't Believe The Hype" it is always difficult for any course to live up to expectations unless it is an 11 on a 1-10 scale. Having Played Mistwood before the changes, I always loved the course and the changes made it even better. But I would not call it a must play. I made that mistake with John Oldenburg then the VP of Design at Aldila when I invited him to play there and he said he liked the course but it wasn't anything special. Of course he has played some of the best courses in the world. I do think playing mostly Cog Hill #1 and occasionally #2, Naperbrook, Prairie Bluff and Carillon as my normal courses, Mistwood seemed like a much better course. 

I would agree with that assessment, it's a nice public course, but nothing special.  I certainly wouldn't pay their normal rate to play there, but they obviously can fill those times so this is just one mans opinion.   For some reason I never played the course prior to the redesign but don't remember it getting talked about all that much.  Was it just a run of the mill course at that point?  Looking at the overheads on Google Earth prior to the re-design I think it looks more natural, those Scottish\links style bunkers I thought looked really out of place.  I also like the way hole 3 looks prior.  I'm also a little shocked they didn't try to block out the houses more on 10-12, or reroute them a bit.   It's always weird being on a "high end' course and then there's houses that I would live in that don't belong on a high end course. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

4 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Hole 3's layout hasn't significantly changed but the green was so severely sloped from back to front that if you were above the hole, you could literally putt the ball off the green, not that I have any first hand knowledge of that. 

So like Hole 11 at Big Run!

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

39 minutes ago, BTee17 said:

Playing there tomorrow, how bad were the punched greens regarding throwing putts off?

Not awful, but a couple putts that should have dropped had they rolled true. Also, they have no drainage in any of their bunkers so there was standing water in pretty much all of them.

23 hours ago, MountainKing said:

Our tee time was 12:20 but we didn't get off until about 12:35 - The group in front of us were slow as hell, but the group in front of them were snails and had to be a couple holes behind by the time we got to the back.  it's ridiculous that a high end course like Mistwood didn't have a single ranger on the course.

I've heard this course get high praise and be raved about constantly for years.  I didn't see it when I was there.  The wow factor to me was what I saw walking in and the practice facility.  The par 3's were kind of scenic, 7 with the lake in the back, 9 with the clubhouse, 14 with the downhill shot over the lake.  Then you had holes 3 and 8 which looked and played similar.  Pick the side of the fairway you want to go on, avoid the bunkers in the middle and the water right.   Holes 2 and 5 I had pitches into the green,   Hole 13, little dog leg to the right with a fairway the ends, oh yeah hole 6 played the same way, but this time instead of bunkers around the green they put them to the left of the fairway.  Back when you got on holes 11 and 12, they kind of felt like you were playing a fancy Carillon with the houses on the right.   I think with everything I heard, I was expecting to have that same wow factor every hole much like I had when I saw the club house and practice facility. 

The par 3s are some of the better public par 3s in the area in my opinion. 7 can change dramatically depending on how much wind is coming across the lake, usually I hit a 6i into 7 and play the left edge of the green for the kick towards the back pin placement, however I played a 4i due to the wind Sunday. 9 is fine, the club house is a nice touch but that's about it, usually they have the pin tucked up front so its hard to get at with the water to the immediate right. 14 is my favorite hole on the course, pretty self explanatory. 17 can be a tight tee shot depending on how far back you're playing, from the tips it can feel like a tunnel, I wish they'd make it a bit tighter. 

I enjoy the par 5 15 quite a bit as I have been challenging myself to cut more and more of the lake off each time. 3 and 8 definitely play similar but there's more danger on 3 than 8, 8 you can fly pretty far left and still have a look in on the second since there are hills guarding OB on the left. 3, during mid summer the fescue in that area is usually over grown so any tee shoe left of the bunker that gets a funky kick puts you into a lost ball scenario. 

I also get a kick out of 10 and 11. All of those holes leave me a 20-75 yard pitch in depending on how dry it is. I've actually hit the green from the tips on 10 by cutting the trees. 

Edited by RGlaze978

2 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

A mostly enjoyable round in northwest Indiana today at White Hawk (Red/Grey) CC. I've been away from the courses for 10 days taking care of some important business. After living downtown for 26 years I finally sold my condo. I'll be staying with family in Crown Point for a few days/weeks while I search for an RV. After that it's bye-bye to the Midwest, and hello to the lower 48 states. 

First, it was weird driving only 10 minutes to a golf course. I usually have to budget at least 30 to 40 minutes. Lol. I've played the Silver and Grey nines before, but it was my first time on the Red. Meh. Hopefully I can get out on the Black nine next week. The course was very wet. The fairways looked like a murder scene with numerous areas marked as GUR due to golf carts. Just a mud bath with the ruts. I know courses make a ton of money from carts, but letting them off the paths when the ground is saturated is nuts. Bunkers were wet, but had enough sand to be playable. The greens on the Red nine were probably cut yesterday, as they were rolling a good 11, and possibly pushing 12. It's been a while since I played on such speedy greens. The Grey greens were in the process of being cut, so while the 1st was decent, the remaining ones were rolling no more than 10, and had a layer of dew on them. Both sets were very soft and receptive. 

Pace was great. I got out early in front of a twosome, and thought I had the course to myself until I ran into two riders on the 7th. They noticed me behind them, and picked up the pace, so I only had to wait on one shot. The clowns did have a bad habit of leaving the pin halfway out of the hole at an angle, and I noticed a few fresh sets of footprints in the bunkers. Hey, I love fast golf, but if one is going to be a rabbit, you still have to maintain the course.

Nice round after the short layoff. One birdie and four bogies. Highlight of the day was playing the par 3s even. Two of the longer ones were playing near 200 yds, and I hit a solid 9 wood on each to within 15 feet. 

Congrats on the sale! Looking forward to reading your course reviews from the road.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

Would have, could have, should have…. That about sums up our afternoon round at Prairie Bluff.  Course is in very good condition, with greens running about 9-10.  Started out strong and was 2 under through 7, bogeyed 8 (stupid, after great drive), and parred 9 for a 1 under 35.  That was about it - didn’t make a single par on back 9 -  couple birdies coupled with 6 bogeys and a triple (🤬) - 43..  Bad swing after bad swing - ill blame it on the 4 or 5 IPAs I consumed during the round.  Pace was decent - 4:20, but I expected better.  There was a foursome in front of us that included a lady (wife/girlfriend, I assume) that generally took about 4 or 5 swings before getting out of the firing range.  
Oh - did I mention the weather?  Simply PERFECT, with mild 1 club wind (it’s always windy at PB).  

• Like 2

Chit load of Maltbys - TS2 irons, KE4 TC Driver & 4 wood, TSW 54* & 60* wedges, PTM5 Mallet putter

We played Hughes Creek on Friday and thank goodness we did not add this to our 100 top courses to rank.  This was what we like to call an "It's in the grass Course"  You can't tell the fairway and rough apart so if you tee off, the ball is either in the grass or in a hazard...lol.  The scenery was nice and we enjoyed the place and the views.  The 19th hole bartender was super nice.  The course itself...wow.  Two gimmick holes on the front 9 were so poorly designed.  You cannot have a 460 yard par 4 that narrows at 270 out to about 10 yards wide with a tree on the right and hazard on the left.  I remember someone mentioned to be careful after hole 2 as you drive back towards the incoming shots...so true.  Surprised if no one has been seriously injured there.  The conditions were probably the worst I had played since Brookwood in Michigan years ago.  You were literally in the rough in the fairway.  Oddly enough, we will probably go back as our buddy moved to Batavia and this is fairly close by.

As far as Mistwood, with what courses are charging nowadays, this is easily one of the top 5 public courses/facilities in the Chicago area in my opinion.  I think it is better than Dubsdread, Cantigny and Glen Club and those courses all charge more (some significantly).  Gorgeous facility with nice conditions and outstanding amenities.

Finished the Naperville double and played Naperbrook yesterday. Hadn't played there so far this season and lots of things going on at the course. The range and practice area are being redone.  Changes on the course with lots of trees removed and on 13/14 the trees are all removed and replaced with a mound.  The tees and fairways are in excellent condition but there were more unrepaired ball marks on these greens than any course I've played this year. On 17, my playing partners were having some issues so I proceeded to fix 31 ball marks on the green and there were even more that needed fixing.  The bunkers were wonderful, groomed and with actual sand in them. Was in 3 and had perfect lies.

Paired up with a group of new COVID golfers. None of them hit a tee shot on 1 that made it past the forward tees. That improved and one of them made his first birdie ever but then decided he was now good enough to play the tips. At least his buddy talked him out of it and he returned to his previous level.

Got around in 4 hours but waited on the group in front on every hole on the back and they had a hole and a half open in front.

1 hour ago, Shriner said:

We played Hughes Creek on Friday and thank goodness we did not add this to our 100 top courses to rank.  This was what we like to call an "It's in the grass Course"  You can't tell the fairway and rough apart so if you tee off, the ball is either in the grass or in a hazard...lol.  The scenery was nice and we enjoyed the place and the views.  The 19th hole bartender was super nice.  The course itself...wow.  Two gimmick holes on the front 9 were so poorly designed.  You cannot have a 460 yard par 4 that narrows at 270 out to about 10 yards wide with a tree on the right and hazard on the left.  I remember someone mentioned to be careful after hole 2 as you drive back towards the incoming shots...so true.  Surprised if no one has been seriously injured there.  The conditions were probably the worst I had played since Brookwood in Michigan years ago.  You were literally in the rough in the fairway.  Oddly enough, we will probably go back as our buddy moved to Batavia and this is fairly close by.

As far as Mistwood, with what courses are charging nowadays, this is easily one of the top 5 public courses/facilities in the Chicago area in my opinion.  I think it is better than Dubsdread, Cantigny and Glen Club and those courses all charge more (some significantly).  Gorgeous facility with nice conditions and outstanding amenities.

I’ve almost been killed every time I play Hughes Creek. Haven’t been there for a couple years and I don’t think I’ll return.

8 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Changes on the course with lots of trees removed and on 13/14 the trees are all removed and replaced with a mound.  The tees and fairways are in excellent condition but there were more unrepaired ball marks on these greens than any course I've played this year. On 17, my playing partners were having some issues so I proceeded to fix 31 ball marks on the green and there were even more that needed fixing. 

... OK, enough Naperbrook and Prairie Bluff posts, you guys are making me homesick. 🤪  Disease hit those trees a few years ago and sadly all of them removed. The mound was always there just more prominent without the trees. While it ruined the aesthetics and not in play for better players although those trees did provide some protection from hackers, most high index muni players slice and those trees were a real PIA on both holes so it improved pace of play.

... Ball marks were always hit or miss at NBrook but more often than not 20 or more was pretty normal. I joined a good player in his 40's that didn't repair his ball marks and after 3 holes of fixing his and others I asked him why he wasn't repairing his and I was not completely shocked to hear "there are so many, why bother?" and I hit him with some cliches of well then you are part of the problem and it is never wrong to do the right thing, fix yours and a few others and we don't have a problem. All I got was a shrug and he still didn't fix them. While he was the exception for better players I played with too many golfers of all levels that never fixed any ball marks. What sucks is like you, those of us that care would fix 5 or more every green but it felt like living in New Orleans and putting out 5 sand bags during a hurricane. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

I'd say about 2 weeks ago, courses decided to stop the maintenance.  Not all courses but from what I have seen, you are getting shaggy fairways, aerated greens, tee boxes that are like the rough etc.  The labor shortage is affecting courses too.  I think i logged my last score about 2 weeks ago.  I was with 2 others the other day at White Pines and no one made a putt over 6 feet for 14 holes.  The greens are that bumpy.

22 hours ago, chrisf60526 said:

I'd say about 2 weeks ago, courses decided to stop the maintenance.  Not all courses but from what I have seen, you are getting shaggy fairways, aerated greens, tee boxes that are like the rough etc.  The labor shortage is affecting courses too.  I think i logged my last score about 2 weeks ago.  I was with 2 others the other day at White Pines and no one made a putt over 6 feet for 14 holes.  The greens are that bumpy.

I think it depends on where you play.

Played the preserve a week ago last Sunday and the greens were in great shape.

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

1 hour ago, geochitown said:

I think it depends on where you play.

Played the preserve a week ago last Sunday and the greens were in great shape.

Yeah, I do not think this is a unique phenomenon to this season. Some courses are just not going to put a ton cash into course maintenance once the calendar flips past mid-October. Less daylight, less golfers, less rounds. Plus, many close up shop in November anyway. It is what it is.

Also, it does not help that the fall has been very warm, so the grass continues to grow. Warm days and copious moisture is going to lead to thick rough. And, now, it is too wet to get the mowers out without doing damage. Tough spot to be in.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

A lot of courses are run by towns and have to budget their labor ahead of time according to past schedules, so they could plan for less labor needed to do less work. This year is way different with the weather feeling like it's a month behind the calendar. Courses that are stretched thin will struggle to keep up.

• Like 1

Fall Break started for me at 12:30 this afternoon so I got in a round at Harborside. $59 is a fair price, though saying it was saturated is an understatement. The course itself was in very good condition considering the recent rainfall, though there were ponds in a few bunkers. The greens were outstanding. They were completely healed from when they were punched, were stimping at 10, had almost no ball marks, and were extremely smooth. I get a kick out of the different views based on what hole players are on. Walking up the first, there's a decent view of the skyline, while to the left of the third tee box there's a giant freight yard. The ninth stares straight at the port authority structure. More variety than Lost Marsh and slightly less industrial wasteland. 

I played pretty well, though I didn't have the driver working at all. I just left it in the bag and hit three wood on almost every hole on the back. Ball striking was good (9 fairways and 11 greens) and my wedges were very sharp. Easiest way to keep scores down is to keep the amount of putts down, and I only needed 27. I had three bogies (9, 14, and 16) and two birdies (3 and 18). Shot of the day was my approach on 3. After a 3 wood off the tee I stuck a 54 to 3 feet for an easy bird. 73. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

37 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

Fall Break started for me at 12:30 this afternoon so I got in a round at Harborside. $59 is a fair price, though saying it was saturated is an understatement. The course itself was in very good condition considering the recent rainfall, though there were ponds in a few bunkers. The greens were outstanding. They were completely healed from when they were punched, were stimping at 10, had almost no ball marks, and were extremely smooth. I get a kick out of the different views based on what hole players are on. Walking up the first, there's a decent view of the skyline, while to the left of the third tee box there's a giant freight yard. The ninth stares straight at the port authority structure. More variety than Lost Marsh and slightly less industrial wasteland. 

I played pretty well, though I didn't have the driver working at all. I just left it in the bag and hit three wood on almost every hole on the back. Ball striking was good (9 fairways and 11 greens) and my wedges were very sharp. Easiest way to keep scores down is to keep the amount of putts down, and I only needed 27. I had three bogies (9, 14, and 16) and two birdies (3 and 18). Shot of the day was my approach on 3. After a 3 wood off the tee I stuck a 54 to 3 feet for an easy bird. 73. 

starboard?

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

Yep. Played Starboard. Forgot to mention which 18. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II