Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

14 minutes ago, MountainKing said:

I've made a few exceptions, but under 60 is generally unplayable for me.  I don't enjoy wearing layers of clothing to be outside and don't enjoy being cold.  My last round at Orchard was pretty miserable for me to get through and I only stayed out because I was playing good.

When your clothes/layers/accessories inhibit your natural swing it doesn't make sense to me to play. I'll play with a polo and 1 over layer. Anything more feels unnatural to my swing and becomes just hitting a ball with no actual ability to hit the ball how I want to. I did find a nice pair of actual golf winter gloves via Arg's travel thread that I will try out. 

I also have cold urticaria. I'd walk from the train to my office in downtown chicago in the winter and my entire body would be covered in hives and my hands/face swell up. Basically impossible to play with swollen hands lol.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mci711 said:

When your clothes/layers/accessories inhibit your natural swing it doesn't make sense to me to play. I'll play with a polo and 1 over layer. Anything more feels unnatural to my swing and becomes just hitting a ball with no actual ability to hit the ball how I want to. I did find a nice pair of actual golf winter gloves via Arg's travel thread that I will try out. 

I also have cold urticaria. I'd walk from the train to my office in downtown chicago in the winter and my entire body would be covered in hives and my hands/face swell up. Basically impossible to play with swollen hands lol.

I'm 100% with you.  I'm okay with a warmer compression layer with a polo or 1/4 zip, not both.  Two layers is it for me, if I have to wear more to stay comfortable it's too cold for me.  I'm probably the same way with the rain, if I need an umbrella and rain gear I'm not interested. Both probably limit the amount of rounds I get to play in a year, but I'm okay with that.  I think back to my last round, I put up a decent number but I didn't really have fun doing it. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Below 35 degrees needs single digit winds.

I find myself passing on cold weather golf at the end of the season, but a lack of snow will have me out there as early as February.  

It's funny how much warmer 30 degrees is in February and March than it is in November and December.  

January's 20+ days of below zero puts it in perspective. 

• Like 3

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Highland Woods this morning with Bear. There was a 1 hour frost delay, which was weird because there was no visible frost and it was way too cold last night for there to be frost anyway but…whatever. Shop jockeys gonna shop jockey. We were still the first ones out and played in 2:45. The course was pretty frozen at first but the permafrost wasn’t too deep so it softened as the round went on. Holding greens was an adventure and the fact that I hit 12 is a minor miracle. Then again, it’s Winter so just off but still putting counts as a green in reg. With the firm course I just hit 3 wood off the tee on all but 3 holes. No birds but a few good looks. 75. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Question for the group...

With winter here, I'm looking for a recommendation or two on a simulator to check-out in the northern 'burbs. I will admit, I'm completely lost on the options out there at the minute. My past winter routine is either hitting balls at the Des Plaines outdoor range with the heat lamps or going to a golf dome. Both options seem very 1990s given the number of places that now have sims. 

What I'm looking for is a place to rent for an hour at a time to hit balls. I don't need food and beverage and all that jazz. It would be nice to hit my own ball, but that's not a deal breaker. Also, I'm viewing this more as practice and not entertainment, so I don't care about what courses the sim has. And, while this fits what I'm looking for, I would prefer to avoid the PGA Tour Superstore. 

Seems like a simulator at a golf course might be the best fit, but open to any suggestions. Appreciate any recommendations.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

5 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

With winter here, I'm looking for a recommendation or two on a simulator to check-out in the northern 'burbs. I will admit, I'm completely lost on the options out there at the minute. My past winter routine is either hitting balls at the Des Plaines outdoor range with the heat lamps or going to a golf dome. Both options seem very 1990s given the number of places that now have sims. 

What I'm looking for is a place to rent for an hour at a time to hit balls. I don't need food and beverage and all that jazz. It would be nice to hit my own ball, but that's not a deal breaker. Also, I'm viewing this more as practice and not entertainment, so I don't care about what courses the sim has. And, while this fits what I'm looking for, I would prefer to avoid the PGA Tour Superstore. 

Seems like a simulator at a golf course might be the best fit, but open to any suggestions. Appreciate any recommendations.

Not sure where exactly you're at, but Renwood in round lake has two Uneekor simulators you can rent. They have courses and range capabilities. We usually play every Friday. It was $20/hr last year. I haven't been up there yet this year with having surgery.... But I'm assuming it's  along the same lines. 

They're also opening a 6 bay heated outdoor facility. Not sure if it's open yet or not, but I'm guessing it's close. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dhartmann34 said:

Not sure where exactly you're at, but Renwood in round lake has two Uneekor simulators you can rent. They have courses and range capabilities. We usually play every Friday. It was $20/hr last year. I haven't been up there yet this year with having surgery.... But I'm assuming it's  along the same lines. 

They're also opening a 6 bay heated outdoor facility. Not sure if it's open yet or not, but I'm guessing it's close. 

Thanks. I'm in Grayslake, less than 10 mins from Renwood.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

4 hours ago, TheBear95 said:

Terra Cotta.  It's my go to winter place.  

They have sims and track man training rooms you can rent by the hour.  Cheaper if you buy a ten pack.  

They open at 7am so don't be stealing my tee times.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

18 minutes ago, St Jimmy said:

Terra Cotta.  It's my go to winter place.  

They have sims and track man training rooms you can rent by the hour.  Cheaper if you buy a ten pack.  

They open at 7am so don't be stealing my tee times.  

That's about right across the street from my house. Nice facility. But not all that friendly the 3-4 times I stopped in this summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dhartmann34 said:

That's about right across the street from my house. Nice facility. But not all that friendly the 3-4 times I stopped in this summer. 

I'm there very early Sunday our late Saturday night and there's usually a kid behind the counter.  

If there was any attitude, I didn't notice.  I've only been there during the winter though.  

• Like 1

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

3 hours ago, Jc0 said:

Is St. Andrews worth a 45 minute drive? Going to have some time to play Wednesday and the weather looks decent enough. I'm 5 minutes from Indian boundary which isn't too bad but would like a longer course. 

Andrews is very strange. The conditions improve as the weather worsens. Overall, it’s okay. It’s got length but not a lot of teeth. Don’t see the name and think it’s a high end links course. It’s just a ho hum parkland layout but it’s open year round so it gets plenty of play in the cold months. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

11 hours ago, Jc0 said:

Is St. Andrews worth a 45 minute drive? Going to have some time to play Wednesday and the weather looks decent enough. I'm 5 minutes from Indian boundary which isn't too bad but would like a longer course. 

At this time of year, yes. Not much open. I played Andrews three weeks ago. It was in great shape for any month, but especially November.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

11 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Andrews is very strange. The conditions improve as the weather worsens. Overall, it’s okay. It’s got length but not a lot of teeth. Don’t see the name and think it’s a high end links course. It’s just a ho hum parkland layout but it’s open year round so it gets plenty of play in the cold months. 

Very under rated comment on the conditions at SA and how they improve as the season progresses. Spot on as usual LD and long as they take care of the leaves, which are done for the year, definitely would do it.  SA is always our season opener for our comp and it's one of a very few that we'll play this late in the year. 

Make the drive Sir, it's golf in December.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavePelz4 said:

Very under rated comment on the conditions at SA and how they improve as the season progresses. Spot on as usual LD and long as they take care of the leaves, which are done for the year, definitely would do it.  SA is always our season opener for our comp and it's one of a very few that we'll play this late in the year. 

Make the drive Sir, it's golf in December.

More trying to figure out if it's worth the drive vs Indian boundary. It looks like cog 2 is open for about the same price and driving distance for me is the same so probably going to head out there. Haven't played it before. 

Bear95

as far as indoor practice goes, went to a true training facility today and it has everything you need. 7 Trackman lanes, Well putt on most of the floor, a full putting green with undulation and a separate short game area with real sand. $40.00 per hour to use.

The Golf Practice in Highland Park.

Also in the building is True Spec who recently moved in with 2 fitting bays.

I have no affiliation with the place. Was there today as part of the Callaway staff fitting event.

I have used Terra Cotta a lot since I live in McHenry and they are expanding for 2 more simulators. Their teaching bays are Quad equipped. The sims used to be Trugolf, not sure if they still are but those suck for any real type of practice.

• Like 2
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Brighton Dale Links would be a bit of a drive for you but they have a number of bays set up in the clubhouse.  Used to be they would set them up at Pets but moved it out there this year.  Based on the pricing from last year it looks like 40 an hour during the week and 45 on the weekend.   You can use it like a driving range or play multiple courses.    I don't see a way to sign up on their website so would need to call.  Info still up on the Pets website.   Looks like they are open Mon- Saturday 10-6 and closed Sunday for some reason.  Again I'd definitely give a call out there to make sure this info is valid. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

Deer Creek today. Bear made the trek from Grayslake since the northern burbs got some snow. Just light rain in the South suburbs. I’ve gotta ask, “Where were all the golfers?” 40°, overcast skies, very little wind, soft but playable (read as: not spongy) course. CPO must’ve scared people off. Carts on a course that’s a 5.6 mile walk that’s pancake flat. Sigh. Anyway, standard Winter round. Good ball striking and I didn’t need more than 3 wood, which was good because driver wasn’t cooperating. One birdie on 2 and a few bogies for a 74. Putted and chipped pretty well, hit 11 greens. Good possible last round of the season. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

Set me straight.....

I've been playing in Arizona with a group of transplants.  All good guys.  Some midwest natives and then Montana, Colorado and the Pacific Northwest. Yesterday I'm standing on a par 3 tee, its downhill, back pin and 186 yards.  I smoked a 6 iron all over the flag.  It hits 2-3' in front of the pin, rolls out and disappears.  Everybody is yelling "Footjoys!  Footjoys!"  What?  "It's a Chicago tradition.  If you get a hole in one you have to buy golf shoes for everyone in your group."  Fortunately it disappeared because it rolled past the pin and off the back of the green.  Got my par.  Kept my wallet.  So tell me, is the golf shoe thing really a well known Chicago standard or are they sticking it to the Cheesehead in the group?

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

13 minutes ago, Phreddy said:

Set me straight.....

I've been playing in Arizona with a group of transplants.  All good guys.  Some midwest natives and then Montana, Colorado and the Pacific Northwest. Yesterday I'm standing on a par 3 tee, its downhill, back pin and 186 yards.  I smoked a 6 iron all over the flag.  It hits 2-3' in front of the pin, rolls out and disappears.  Everybody is yelling "Footjoys!  Footjoys!"  What?  "It's a Chicago tradition.  If you get a hole in one you have to buy golf shoes for everyone in your group."  Fortunately it disappeared because it rolled past the pin and off the back of the green.  Got my par.  Kept my wallet.  So tell me, is the golf shoe thing really a well known Chicago standard or are they sticking it to the Cheesehead in the group?

Phred

... We have put up with Favre then Rodgers that both owned the Bears, so a few pairs of shoes is just a little deserved pay back. (But I lived in Chicago for 42 years and never heard of this "tradition") 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

1 hour ago, Phreddy said:

Set me straight.....

Phred

Yeah. That’s not a thing. An ace just means you cover the bar tab post round. 

• Like 1

Piretti Cottonwood II

17 minutes ago, ldchristopher said:

Bar tab?

It's only a round where I come from.

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

It is a tradition at the Chicago area country clubs on the men’s side of the locker room. Play at my BIL club (Evanston) and seen it happen. Heard the same tradition at other north shore clubs.

Bar tab for public tracks. Had my one and only ace on Columbus Day a decade ago and the tab was about $240.00. 

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

2 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

I think it is a club thing, not necessarily regional. I know a few stories about shoes from people at different clubs. 

Naperville has a cool tradition. Every jr member pays a dollar per yard to the person who made the hole in one. I had a buddy make a hole in one a couple of years ago on a 200+ yard hole that ended up making him $10,000+.

Edited by mci711

Okay, the whole “Footjoy hole-in-one thing” makes sense for country clubs, but no way I’d be buying new shoes for some randos just because I made an ace while on vacation. Members have to spend a certain amount of money at country clubs. Buying people shoes just ends up covering a small piece of those payments anyway. I’ve had two aces in my life. Both times I ended up buying Bear a couple beers. 

Edited by ldchristopher
  • Like 2

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 12/10/2022 at 4:42 PM, Phreddy said:

Set me straight.....

Phred

Actually, Elgin CC does exactly this.  You can also buy insurance to protect yourself from the cost of outfitting everyone in your group.