2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Question for anybody who's familiar with Arrowhead: I know it's not particularly singles-friendly. But I'm moving very close to the course, and memberships are only like $3,000 for the year. 

Since they don't let singles book tee times, I'm wondering what the chances are I'd be able to regularly show up early on weekdays (6 a.m.-ish) and be able to walk on without too much of a wait for a quick 9 (any of the three 9s would be fine)? 

Would this be worthwhile, or would I just drive myself crazy being told they're fully booked? I don't think there's really anything else in that price range in the area, unfortunately. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

55 minutes ago, eric61 said:

Question for anybody who's familiar with Arrowhead: I know it's not particularly singles-friendly. But I'm moving very close to the course, and memberships are only like $3,000 for the year. 

Since they don't let singles book tee times, I'm wondering what the chances are I'd be able to regularly show up early on weekdays (6 a.m.-ish) and be able to walk on without too much of a wait for a quick 9 (any of the three 9s would be fine)? 

Would this be worthwhile, or would I just drive myself crazy being told they're fully booked? I don't think there's really anything else in that price range in the area, unfortunately. 

I don't have an answer, but I would be shocked that they wouldn't let a single who is a member book. If not, then I wouldn't think it would be worth it because it is a complete crapshoot. Place always seems busy. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I don't have an answer, but I would be shocked that they wouldn't let a single who is a member book. If not, then I wouldn't think it would be worth it because it is a complete crapshoot. Place always seems busy. 

Yeah, I know it's known as being one of the least single-friendly courses in the area. That said, my early mornings are generally wide open -- so I can call the pro shop as they're opening and ask them to slot me in any opening they have going off any of their three 9s in their first hour or so. I'll just be a few minutes away. What I don't know is whether, during the week, they typically have anything at all available day-of in that window or if their mornings are usually completely booked. 

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

21 hours ago, eric61 said:

Have you spoken with Brad who is the Director of Golf?  He might be able to assist you, and with the course being closed, it should be easy to reach him.

22 minutes ago, DavePelz4 said:

Have you spoken with Brad who is the Director of Golf?  He might be able to assist you, and with the course being closed, it should be easy to reach him.

I have not, but that's a good idea. Just to make sure -- do you mean Bruce Stoller? 

Hoping this is a good late December topic!

5 years ago @Shriner, myself and another buddy decided to rank 100 public golf courses in Illinois and attempt to finish the list by age 45 (now 4 years away). 

We wanted to make sure we got A) All the best public courses and B) Consolidate muni / forest preserve courses to those around Chicago.  The more central (think Schaumburg) the more likely we were to have a crappy course on the list, while intentionally leaving off the true stinker (think Fresh Meadows).

These are ranked by the following, weighted categories:

Weight

Accessibility5.0%

Clubhouse5.0%

Practice Area5.0%

Staff2.5%

Conditions - non greens15.0%

Conditions - Greens10.0%

Aesthetics (plus pace if it applies)20.0%

Layout20.0%

19th Hole7.5%

Overall value for money10.0%

What we have left that no one has played since we started is blank (at the top).  What are we missing, and can we delete anything on there for a far superior course?

The ones that have been played can no longer be deleted, so questions about why xxx course is on there is moot.

What do you think of the rankings?  Anything seem egregiously off to you, wondering how xxx could be so much higher than xxx course, would love to hear!

Average
Annbriar  
Bittersweet  
Bolingbrook Golf Club  
Chevy Chase  
Cog Hill #4  
Eagle Ridge General  
Fox Bend  
Fyre Lake  
Gateway National  
George Dunne  
Glen Club  
Harborside (Port)  
Harborside Starboard  
Hickory Point  
Indian Oaks Golf Club  
Lanark Golf Course  
Links at Carillon  
Lost Nation  
Metamora Fields  
Randall Oaks  
Ruffled Feathers  
Silver Ridge  
Springbrook  
TPC Deere Run  
Weaver Ridge  
White Deer Run  
Wilmette  
Wolf Hollow Golf Course  
Highlands of Elgin 9.24
Mistwood 9.01
Bowes Creek 8.95
Blackstone 8.78
Cantigny 8.74
Stonewall Orchard 8.70
Arrowhead 8.68
Aldeen Golf Club 8.66
Oak Grove (in 2018) 8.63
Prarie Landing 8.46
Prarie View 8.39
Itasca Golf Course 8.33
Makray Memorial 8.32
Thunkderhawk 8.30
Buffalo Grove 8.19
Marengo Ridge 8.19
Preserve at Oak Meadows 8.14
Pine Meadow 8.12
Poplar Creek 7.99
Shepards Crook Golf Curse 7.91
Village Links of Glen Ellyn 7.81
Whitetail Ridge Golf Club 7.79
Ravisloe 7.73
Hilldale 7.61
Schaumburg Golf Club 7.51
COG HILL #2 7.50
Prarie Bluff Golf Course 7.46
MAPLE MEADOWS 7.43
Seven Bridges Golf Club 7.34
Boone Creek 7.34
Pinecrest 7.25
Highland Woods 7.24
Heritage Bluffs 7.21
Palatine Hills 7.19
Red Tail Run 7.11
Coyote Run 7.09
Foxford Hills 7.07
Sunset Valley 6.98
St Andrews 6.96
Glendale Lakes 6.88
Waters Edge 6.80
Naperbrook 6.78
Chalet Hills 6.74
Prarie Isle 6.70
Orchard Valley 6.69
Arboretum 6.68
Ledges Golf Course 6.65
Cinder Ridge 6.61
Bartlett Hills 6.56
The Sanctuary 6.55
Mt Prospect 6.55
Balmoral Woods 6.55
Klein Creek 6.48
U of I Golf Coure 6.47
Eaglewood 6.28
Ironhorse GOLF Club 6.28
Whisper Creek 6.10
Golf Club of Illinois 5.95
Oak Brook 5.91
Willow Crest 5.88
Kankakee Elks 5.75
Tanna Farms 5.71
Old Oak 5.54
Tamarack 5.45
Fox Run 5.13
Broken Arrow 5.03
Bloomingdale 4.83
Big Run*** 4.73
Carraige Greens 4.09
White Pines 3.71
SPORTSMANS 3.25
Settlers Hill 3.24

No way Sportsmans is that low on the list. It's certainly not top tier, but c'mon.

No Glencoe? Dubs not in the top 10? Oy.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

No way Sportsmans is that low on the list. It's certainly not top tier, but c'mon.

No Glencoe? Dubs not in the top 10? Oy.

Sportsmans - only @Shriner has played it, and he's a hater, so I'll probably bring it up for you 🙂

We haven't played Dubs yet.  We've only played #2 (and by we I believe that's only me).

Noted Glencoe to discuss adding next year.

2 hours ago, Quem24 said:

Sportsmans - only @Shriner has played it, and he's a hater, so I'll probably bring it up for you 🙂

We haven't played Dubs yet.  We've only played #2 (and by we I believe that's only me).

Noted Glencoe to discuss adding next year.

May as well throw Winnetka on the list as well. 'Don't expect much. It's overgrown with trees, and probably has the worst drainage of any of the north shore munis.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Surprised that Redtail in Lakewood isn’t there when Tanna Farms, Mill Creek, Marengo Ridge, Highland Woods and Hilldale are. The only thing it really lacks is nice clubhouse which I hear is on the way. 

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

2 hours ago, Markrip said:

Surprised that Redtail in Lakewood isn’t there when Tanna Farms, Mill Creek, Marengo Ridge, Highland Woods and Hilldale are. The only thing it really lacks is nice clubhouse which I hear is on the way. 

Added for the discussion - thanks. Mill Creek is not on the list (haven’t heard of it). Marengo rated higher than it should as we are all biased sentimentally, Highland woods and Hilldale rated decent and I feel are decent?  Curious why you feel otherwise.  Tanna farms getting appropriate hate, of course 😎

1 hour ago, Quem24 said:

Added for the discussion - thanks. Mill Creek is not on the list (haven’t heard of it). Marengo rated higher than it should as we are all biased sentimentally, Highland woods and Hilldale rated decent and I feel are decent?  Curious why you feel otherwise.  Tanna farms getting appropriate hate, of course 😎

Mill Creek is literally next door to Tanna Farms. Greatness in Geneva.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

1 hour ago, Quem24 said:

Is Marengo Ridge paying you guys for that rating?

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

46 minutes ago, TheBear95 said:

Is Marengo Ridge paying you guys for that rating?

We don’t want to bankrupt the course. Love Marengo!

38 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I'd add Far Oaks in Southern Illinois to the list. I think it is definitely better than anything below the 6.5 rating on your list. 

Nice - will add for discussion - thanks!

3 hours ago, Quem24 said:

I’ve played Hilldale and Highland Woods this year and in the past and the course conditions were never as good as Redtail. I actually enjoy playing at Hilldale. It’s  more about if these courses are there then Redtail should be.

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

I’d add The Den at Fox Creek and Prairie Vista in Bloomington, Coyote Creek in Bartonville, and Lick Creek in Pekin to courses worth rating in the middle of the state. 

• Like 3

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

7 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

I’d add The Den at Fox Creek and Prairie Vista in Bloomington, Coyote Creek in Bartonville, and Lick Creek in Pekin to courses worth rating in the middle of the state. 

Did Atkins GC, aka Stone Creek, in Urbana ever reopen? It's the home course for the U of I golf team.

11 hours ago, Markrip said:

I’ve played Hilldale and Highland Woods this year and in the past and the course conditions were never as good as Redtail. I actually enjoy playing at Hilldale. It’s  more about if these courses are there then Redtail should be.

Redtail is on the list  😉 I actually loved it....big fan.

Thanks for all the suggestions,  the most difficult part of this was choosing the 100 courses.  Obviously we were always going to have some left off that would rate higher than the bottom rated courses but we feel pretty confident that we have not missed a top 25 course.

We have considered adding some of courses mentioned and dropping off a Settlers's Hill, Carriage Greens, etc. but the problem is that one of us has ranked the course so they would have to play an additional course to win the challenge.  We may still consider it.

Great suggestions all around and yes, I am the one at fault for the Sportsman rating!  I didn't like anything about it and who knows, it could have been a bad day for conditions.  You also have to keep in mind the rating system we came up with...but truthfully I probably should have it higher than I did.

9 hours ago, ldchristopher said:

Would you consider any of those a top 25ish course?  If so, we could try to fit one or two in but the distance will automatically impact the rating.  

I'll be curious to see if Dubs, Glen Club or TPC Deere can take over top spot.  I don't see any other course we have remaining that would have a shot though unless Highlands rating comes down when the 3rd guy plays it.

Course Rank Accessibility Clubhouse Practice Area Staff Conditions - non greens Conditions - Greens Aesthetics (plus pace if it applies) Layout 19th Hole Overall value for money
Red Tail Run 7.6625 4.5 6.5 7 9.5 8 8.5 7.5 8 7 8.5
Red Tail Run 6.9375 4 3.5 6 8.5 7.5 8 7.5 7 7

Red Tail ratings.  Shriner is the top and I am the bottom.  Not sure how he rated that clubhouse so high.  The rest we are just a bit separated, him for the better.  I was probably overly jaded by coming to a screeching halt before the 3rd tee box and the 5+ hour round.  Not the courses fault though.  Would play again, thought a bit off the beaten path.

7 minutes ago, Shriner said:

Would you consider any of those a top 25ish course?  If so, we could try to fit one or two in but the distance will automatically impact the rating.  

I'll be curious to see if Dubs, Glen Club or TPC Deere can take over top spot.  I don't see any other course we have remaining that would have a shot though unless Highlands rating comes down when the 3rd guy plays it.

No, I don't see any of those making the top 25.

I'd be really shocked if Dubs, TGC, or Deere Run didn't take over the top spot. All three have hosted PGA or Korn Ferry events, and definitely rank as my favorites in the state.

2 hours ago, Shriner said:

Nah, they’re not top 25 but much better than quite a few on your list. The only one I don’t get is Highland Woods (I actually kinda secretly like Marengo Ridge). The staff and conditions all being in the negatives should drop that rating to the mid 4’s at best. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

3 hours ago, Shriner said:

I think Annbriar is better the Highlands of Elgin. Weaverridge if in good condition, condition from like 10 years ago, would be quite high and better than HoE in my opinion. But I'd also put quite a few below it on your rankings ahead of it as well, so who knows how your list will differ. 

1 hour ago, mci711 said:

I think Annbriar is better the Highlands of Elgin. Weaverridge if in good condition, condition from like 10 years ago, would be quite high and better than HoE in my opinion. But I'd also put quite a few below it on your rankings ahead of it as well, so who knows how your list will differ. 

HoE is boosted by my love for links style golf (though Shriner loves it as well), if I am being impartial it probably should be lower but It’s my job to be partial when I rank!

Objectively if someone had any of the 12 courses directly below HoE above it, I wouldn’t say you were wrong.

Anything Buffalo Grove or below doesn’t have a case IMO. We’ll see where annbriar comes in. 

1 minute ago, Quem24 said:

HoE is boosted by my love for links style golf (though Shriner loves it as well), if I am being impartial it probably should be lower but It’s my job to be partial when I rank!

Objectively if someone had any of the 12 courses directly below HoE above it, I wouldn’t say you were wrong.

Anything Buffalo Grove or below doesn’t have a case IMO. We’ll see where annbriar comes in. 

Emphasis on links style. Like Harborside, the course is excrementally over watered. Might looks linksy, but don't even think about landing a ball short and running it up. 

• Like 1