Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

> @DeeBee30 said:

> Not Chicagoland, but headed out for the annual Michigan golf trip tomorrow. Three of us have a couple of tune up rounds at Tullymore and Bucks Run in the Mt. Pleasant area on Thursday. Then we meet up with the other 29 guys in Harbor Springs to play 4 rounds at Boyne Highlands and finish up on Bay Harbor’s Links/Quarry loop. Immediately post-trip, I have a client round at Eau Claire CC on Tuesday. That’ll make 8 rounds in 5 days...can’t wait.

If you have time, Pohl Cat is also an awesome course in the Mt. Pleasant area. Sounds like you have an awesome trip in front of you!

> @mci711 said:

> > @DavePelz4 said:

> > > @ssp said:

> > > the slam on carts is ridiculous.

> >

> > The slam isn't on carts...it's on the guys who used them and don't keep pace. This is all about pace.

>

> You think these guys would just magically learn etiquette and the rules of golf by walking?

We can dream, can't we?

First visit to Wedgewood on Saturday morning. 'Not expecting to be blown away. Good 'ol Lost Marbles on Sunday morning. I literally have over 15 dozen old golf balls that need to find new homes.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

> @Argonne69 said:

> First visit to Wedgewood on Saturday morning. 'Not expecting to be blown away. Good 'ol Lost Marbles on Sunday morning. I literally have over 15 dozen old golf balls that need to find new homes.

>

Haha, that's what Lost Marsh is good for. I always bring a bag of crap balls for Lost Marsh. There's no point in playing a good ball since the greens always seem to run at like a 5.

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II

> @TheBear95 said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > First visit to Wedgewood on Saturday morning. 'Not expecting to be blown away. Good 'ol Lost Marbles on Sunday morning. I literally have over 15 dozen old golf balls that need to find new homes.

> >

>

> Haha, that's what Lost Marsh is good for. I always bring a bag of crap balls for Lost Marsh. There's no point in playing a good ball since the greens always seem to run at like a 5.

One of the first times I played the course there was a guy outside the fence near the 4th teebox selling golf balls. He had set up a table and was offering 15 packs of cheap Pinnacle balls. It looked like he was doing a good business. Lol.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @Argonne69 said:

> First visit to Wedgewood on Saturday morning. 'Not expecting to be blown away. Good 'ol Lost Marbles on Sunday morning. I literally have over 15 dozen old golf balls that need to find new homes.

>

Is WW back up to 18 holes?

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @MountainKing said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > First visit to Wedgewood on Saturday morning. 'Not expecting to be blown away. Good 'ol Lost Marbles on Sunday morning. I literally have over 15 dozen old golf balls that need to find new homes.

> >

>

> Is WW back up to 18 holes?

Yes, they just reopened the renovated nine holes.

Shepherd’s and Washington County tomorrow. I looks like the weather could be too nice. We should cruise at Shepherd’s but round two could take a while.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

> @mci711 said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > Finally getting some rounds in now that my back is feeling halfway decent. Stonewall tomorrow, Arcaida Bluffs on Sunday and another day next week which is to be decided. Seems the courses are drying out a bit thankfully. Rain rain stay away....

>

> Have you played Arcadia before? Honestly, I think it is the most beautiful golf property I have ever been to.

I've never been. Accidentally realized it's 10 minutes north of where we're going on vacation for a week so of course I've got to play! Definitely excited!

Played Stonewall today. Great conditions. Greens were rolling smooth. Some seemed a little burned out maybe, but overall, speedy and true. Really enjoy the course. Made 3 birdies. Hit some really good shots... And a few head scratchers. 76 for the day. I'll take it.

Next round... Sunday afternoon... Arcadia Bluffs.

> @greg said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> >

> Wedge is a very solid track.

>

>

I played it a lot in high school so it's one of those nostalgia courses for me. I'd like to play it now that they have all 18 back and running just to see what changes they made.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @dhartmann34 said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > Finally getting some rounds in now that my back is feeling halfway decent. Stonewall tomorrow, Arcaida Bluffs on Sunday and another day next week which is to be decided. Seems the courses are drying out a bit thankfully. Rain rain stay away....

> >

> > Have you played Arcadia before? Honestly, I think it is the most beautiful golf property I have ever been to.

>

> I've never been. Accidentally realized it's 10 minutes north of where we're going on vacation for a week so of course I've got to play! Definitely excited!

Enjoy it. I found it a little tricky the first time I played it off the tee and struggled. 2nd round shot -2, best round I have ever had. Very jealous!

• Like 1

Got out to Foxford Hills this afternoon. Shot a 101 which is on par for me, but I had 8 (9*) GIR. *because on the Par 5 6th hole I pulled out my driver for a change and it broke at impact, right on the hosel, pulled the ball far left and hit a house. Re-teed and got on in 3 so not a technical GIR but I’m goibg to half count it. Couldn’t putt worth a damn. Didn’t help though that half of my GIR’s we’re leaving me 30 footers. 5 3-putts and a 4 putt kill.

> @MountainKing said:

> > @greg said:

> > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > First visit to Wedgewood on Saturday morning. 'Not expecting to be blown away. Good 'ol Lost Marbles on Sunday morning. I literally have over 15 dozen old golf balls that need to find new homes.

> > >

> > Wedge is a very solid track.

> >

> >

>

> I played it a lot in high school so it's one of those nostalgia courses for me. I'd like to play it now that they have all 18 back and running just to see what changes they made.

Really? I grew up in the area - did you go to high school in the area? One thing they did was take away property along 59 for retail development - someone was asking me (I'm a developer) to take it a few years ago. No thanks. Can't believe it got developed - just what we need - more retail commercial space to lease - lol!

> @greg said:

> > @MountainKing said:

> > > @greg said:

> > > > @Argonne69 said:

> > > > First visit to Wedgewood on Saturday morning. 'Not expecting to be blown away. Good 'ol Lost Marbles on Sunday morning. I literally have over 15 dozen old golf balls that need to find new homes.

> > > >

> > > Wedge is a very solid track.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > I played it a lot in high school so it's one of those nostalgia courses for me. I'd like to play it now that they have all 18 back and running just to see what changes they made.

>

> Really? I grew up in the area - did you go to high school in the area? One thing they did was take away property along 53 for retail development - someone was asking me (I'm a developer) to take it a few years ago. No thanks. Can't believe it got developed - just what we need - more retail commercial space to lease - lol!

Went to Waubonsie Valley.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

> @mci711 said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > > Finally getting some rounds in now that my back is feeling halfway decent. Stonewall tomorrow, Arcaida Bluffs on Sunday and another day next week which is to be decided. Seems the courses are drying out a bit thankfully. Rain rain stay away....

> > >

> > > Have you played Arcadia before? Honestly, I think it is the most beautiful golf property I have ever been to.

> >

> > I've never been. Accidentally realized it's 10 minutes north of where we're going on vacation for a week so of course I've got to play! Definitely excited!

>

> Enjoy it. I found it a little tricky the first time I played it off the tee and struggled. 2nd round shot -2, best round I have ever had. Very jealous!

-2 is fantastic!

> @dhartmann34 said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > > @mci711 said:

> > > > > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > > > Finally getting some rounds in now that my back is feeling halfway decent. Stonewall tomorrow, Arcaida Bluffs on Sunday and another day next week which is to be decided. Seems the courses are drying out a bit thankfully. Rain rain stay away....

> > > >

> > > > Have you played Arcadia before? Honestly, I think it is the most beautiful golf property I have ever been to.

> > >

> > > I've never been. Accidentally realized it's 10 minutes north of where we're going on vacation for a week so of course I've got to play! Definitely excited!

> >

> > Enjoy it. I found it a little tricky the first time I played it off the tee and struggled. 2nd round shot -2, best round I have ever had. Very jealous!

>

> -2 is fantastic!

It's my best round ever. I also proposed to my now fiance during it on the front 9 and we decided to keep playing because I was -1 at the time lol.

• Like 1

> @mci711 said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > > > @mci711 said:

> > > > > > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > > > > Finally getting some rounds in now that my back is feeling halfway decent. Stonewall tomorrow, Arcaida Bluffs on Sunday and another day next week which is to be decided. Seems the courses are drying out a bit thankfully. Rain rain stay away....

> > > > >

> > > > > Have you played Arcadia before? Honestly, I think it is the most beautiful golf property I have ever been to.

> > > >

> > > > I've never been. Accidentally realized it's 10 minutes north of where we're going on vacation for a week so of course I've got to play! Definitely excited!

> > >

> > > Enjoy it. I found it a little tricky the first time I played it off the tee and struggled. 2nd round shot -2, best round I have ever had. Very jealous!

> >

> > -2 is fantastic!

>

> It's my best round ever. I also proposed to my now fiance during it on the front 9 and we decided to keep playing because I was -1 at the time lol.

> @mci711 said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > > > @mci711 said:

> > > > > > Finally getting some rounds in now that my back is feeling halfway decent. Stonewall tomorrow, Arcaida Bluffs on Sunday and another day next week which is to be decided. Seems the courses are drying out a bit thankfully. Rain rain stay away....

> > > > >

> > > > > Have you played Arcadia before? Honestly, I think it is the most beautiful golf property I have ever been to.

> > > >

> > > > I've never been. Accidentally realized it's 10 minutes north of where we're going on vacation for a week so of course I've got to play! Definitely excited!

> > >

> > > Enjoy it. I found it a little tricky the first time I played it off the tee and struggled. 2nd round shot -2, best round I have ever had. Very jealous!

> >

> > -2 is fantastic!

>

> It's my best round ever. I also proposed to my now fiance during it on the front 9 and we decided to keep playing because I was -1 at the time lol.

ha if I was in that situation, I probably would have shot 10 over on the back!

> @mci711 said:

> > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > @mci711 said:

> > > > > @mci711 said:

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > -2 is fantastic!

>

Does it get awkward when people ask what the highlight of that day was?

> @CMCSGolf said:

> > @mci711 said:

> > > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > > @mci711 said:

> > > > > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > > > > @mci711 said:

> > > > > > > @dhartmann34 said:

> > > > > > > Finally getting some rounds in now that my back is feeling halfway decent. Stonewall tomorrow, Arcaida Bluffs on Sunday and another day next week which is to be decided. Seems the courses are drying out a bit thankfully. Rain rain stay away....

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Have you played Arcadia before? Honestly, I think it is the most beautiful golf property I have ever been to.

> > > > >

> > > > > I've never been. Accidentally realized it's 10 minutes north of where we're going on vacation for a week so of course I've got to play! Definitely excited!

> > > >

> > > > Enjoy it. I found it a little tricky the first time I played it off the tee and struggled. 2nd round shot -2, best round I have ever had. Very jealous!

> > >

> > > -2 is fantastic!

> >

> > It's my best round ever. I also proposed to my now fiance during it on the front 9 and we decided to keep playing because I was -1 at the time lol.

>

> Does it get awkward when people ask what the highlight of that day was?

I'm not allowed to tell anyone what I shot that day ha. Not really, I always joke that it was a big day because I shot my best round, luckily she golfs and gets it. Doesn't compare to her 66 in competition, but she understands.

• Like 1

Played Cinder Ridge yesterday morning. Course is in great shape except some of the tee boxes are getting beat up and a few greens are showing stress. In a few place though there are swarms of huge bees that appear to nest in the ground. Anyone know what these are? Pushed my approach on #14 (the uphill hole) to the right and the ball was right in the middle of a swarm - no way I could get to it, so I gave myself relief. ;-)

A nice morning at Wedgewood. Decent course. It was in good shape. The fairways were cut on the front nine, which appears to be the original back nine before the renovation. Greens looked good, but were quite slow. Like many courses this season, I must have fixed four or five ball marks per hole. I liked the wooded stretch of holes from 11 through 14. Holes 15 through 18 are open prairie style. The course is now a par 71, with 3 par 3s on the back.

Spotty off the tee today hitting only 8 fairways. The ol hook reared its ugly head a few times. Irons were solid, but no real looks at birdie. Five bogies on the day.

. .> @Argonne69 said:

> A nice morning at Wedgewood. Decent course. It was in good shape. The fairways were cut on the front nine, which appears to be the original back nine before the renovation. Greens looked good, but were quite slow. Like many courses this season, I must have fixed four or five ball marks per hole. I liked the wooded stretch of holes from 11 through 14. Holes 15 through 18 are open prairie style. The course is now a par 71, with 3 par 3s on the back.

>

> Spotty off the tee today hitting only 8 fairways. The ol hook reared its ugly head a few times. Irons were solid, but no real looks at birdie. Five bogies on the day.

Hook? Hook you say?

as I clamored to one into the rough this morning muttering, 'howjadothatagain-sameholeaslastweek' it occurred to me, I'm not that good, some of the time. two holes later - birdie.

the a.m. weather was very favorable for the game. course wasn't overwatered and the greens were surprisingly a bit slower.

I started using a flange style putter which is a bit lighter than the Anser. had to go at them a bit more aggressively.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @Argonne69 said:

> A nice morning at Wedgewood. Decent course. Holes 15 through 18 are open prairie style. The course is now a par 71, with 3 par 3s on the back.

>

... I did not know that, thanks for the info. I am 66 and can still reach some par 5's in two but realize that door is closing fast. #11 is not reachable but admittedly a great hole. Replacing a really nice par 5 with a 3rd par 3 is a huge problem. I understand real estate was an issue but I will avoid Wedgewood now that I know.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

> @greg said:

> Played Cinder Ridge yesterday morning. Course is in great shape except some of the tee boxes are getting beat up and a few greens are showing stress. In a few place though there are swarms of huge bees that appear to nest in the ground. Anyone know what these are? Pushed my approach on #14 (the uphill hole) to the right and the ball was right in the middle of a swarm - no way I could get to it, so I gave myself relief. ;-)

Nothing like small town feel golf with a decent course to boot. Earlier this year i played a solo round there with storms threatening everywhere.

The nice lady, probably around 70 insisted i just pay for 9 to start. I came in after 9 to pay for the other 9 and she said to just keep going for now since it was about to rain. Which it did, i played through it for a bit and then it stopped. I came in after to pay after the round and she just says Ahh, dont worry about it.

Stuff you dont see closer to the city!

> @chisag said:

> > @Argonne69 said:

> > A nice morning at Wedgewood. Decent course. Holes 15 through 18 are open prairie style. The course is now a par 71, with 3 par 3s on the back.

> >

>

> ... I did not know that, thanks for the info. I am 66 and can still reach some par 5's in two but realize that door is closing fast. #11 is not reachable but admittedly a great hole. Replacing a really nice par 5 with a 3rd par 3 is a huge problem. I understand real estate was an issue but I will avoid Wedgewood now that I know.

>

>

I didn't play it before the renovation, but from what I was told the old par 5 was a beast. It looks like it was replaced with a par 3, and a short par 4. There are still two par 5's on the back, #11, and #18. The third par 3 plays 230 from the blues. It's a tough one.

> @Quem24 said:

> > @greg said:

> > Played Cinder Ridge yesterday morning. Course is in great shape except some of the tee boxes are getting beat up and a few greens are showing stress. In a few place though there are swarms of huge bees that appear to nest in the ground. Anyone know what these are? Pushed my approach on #14 (the uphill hole) to the right and the ball was right in the middle of a swarm - no way I could get to it, so I gave myself relief. ;-)

>

> Nothing like small town feel golf with a decent course to boot. Earlier this year i played a solo round there with storms threatening everywhere.

>

> The nice lady, probably around 70 insisted i just pay for 9 to start. I came in after 9 to pay for the other 9 and she said to just keep going for now since it was about to rain. Which it did, i played through it for a bit and then it stopped. I came in after to pay after the round and she just says Ahh, dont worry about it.

>

> Stuff you dont see closer to the city!

That was probably Judy. She's a sweetheart - been there forever.

Another very cost-effective golf trip in the books. Shepherds was excellent. The fairways were really rolling out and the greens were very smooth with decent pace. I birdied the first hole but didn’t make another bird for a few rounds. I made up a combo and played the back tees for all except holes 4, 6, 10, and 14. I estimated the numbers at 71.0/127. Seemed fair. 73.

We decided pace and proximity to our home base in Elkhorn, WI mattered more than course quality for round 2 and played Edgewood Oaks instead of Washington County. I can’t say I’d make that decision again. Edgewood Pines is fine but Oaks had a lot of rough edges and the greens were awful. Also, it has a bunch of holes along the Fox River and those clearly flooded out this year and remain in need of repair. The back was much nicer but not walkable. 77.

Broadlands was very good. If we get the first time there, I love the experience. Any other time and it’s a possible death march. Tee to green I was really impressed with how they’ve maintained it this year. No overwatering, bunkers were pristine, and the greens had good pace to them. It’s a 7 mile walk that has a lot of inclines but overall I felt fine afterwards and my legs were still pretty fresh. 77.

Glen Erin...words don’t do it justice. It’s always a favorite of mine but it deserves any praise it gets. The greens were running at about an 11 and it was playing very firm and fast. The gold topped fescue framed the holes very nicely and the stretch from 12-17 that go in and out of the woods are among my favorites. My wedges were locked in. That’s always a strength of mine (it makes up for not hitting a lot of greens) but yesterday I knew if I was relatively close to the green I’d make an easy par. Birdie drought ended on 16 for a 74.

Oak Grove to finish. The rough was very firm and the breeze and lack of standing water kept the bugs away. There will always be some rough spots there, such as huge rocks in some bunkers and soft yet springy greens. However, it was a nice closing course. Despite having tee times 7 minutes apart - that’s entering Jackson Park and Indian Boundary territory - we breezed through the front nine in less than 90 minutes. Alas, we caught a group doing a Jason Day/J.B. Holmes impression for every swing, most of which resulted in balls being fired into the woods. Still, both of us played well and a birdie on 9 helped me close the trip with a 73.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II