2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Where are you playing tomorrow - Chicago (Round 3)

stasek

Played Green Garden Gold on Saturday and was pleasantly surprised. I've never been and my playing partner told me it was a dump when he last played, but that was the only tee time left when we looked Wednesday evening. Apparently they got a new super a couple years ago and I thought it was in pretty good shape for a $45 Saturday morning rate. The fairways were in good shape if a little long. The rough was long, but has been cut. The greens were slow but I expected that. We caught a foursome in front of us, and there were some what looked liked perfectly healthy 20 somethings driving carts basically on the green, but other than that it was a great day to be on the course.

A very nice day out at Oak Brook. Thank goodness for the stiff breeze, as the humidity was starting to make things a little uncomfortable. The course was in much better shape than I was expecting. It appears that holes three though six had been flooded, as the fairways had a (drying) coat of mud on them. Oh, and the smell was special. However, they had dried enough that there were no mud balls. Hmmm. Otherwise the fairways were looking very good. 'Quite soft, but they were getting some roll. Rough had been cut, but was still long enough to be penal. More on that in a minute. Bunkers had been raked, and played decent. Green looked and rolled fine, somewhere in the 8 to 9 range. Pace was very good at 3 hours.

'Still think #9 is one of the stupidest holes in Chicagoland golf. It was playing into the wind today, and it was 240 to carry to the 2nd fairway. I decided to hit a fairway wood, and managed to run out fairway, and into 2 inch rough. I had 180 to a front pin location, but had to hack out with a 9 iron. Either move the tees up, especially on a day with a headwind, or lay down a piece of drainage pipe, and fill in the ditch.

Other than the hiccup on the 9th it was a solid day. I carried my clubs for the first time in 17 years, and I'm beat. 'No where near as bad as yesterday, though. Lower back and shoulders are sore, but a couple of Aleve should take care of them. I think I'll stick with carrying until we get an extended dry spell.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

What’s up with Blackstone ignoring the rules set forth for golf that other courses are abiding by? I like the course but does it not rub anyone else the wrong way that they just choose to not be inconvenienced by the climate? I feel like we are either all in this together or we aren’t, it’s cheating which is golf is a big no-no. It makes me view the course much differently now vs the high regard I had for it prior.

I certainly understand how you feel Thunder Dan and have no problem with anyone who feels that way. I personally had zero issue with it. I am trying to think if I came within ten feet of another human being during my round on Sunday. I pre-paid, did not use a bathroom, did not go in the clubhouse, did not get near the starter. More I think about it, may have been twenty feet away from the next human being outside of my group. I could not have had a better day and I appreciate Blackstone providing the opportunity.

I'm a bit behind, played The Preserve last week, was thinking we'd get a sloppy mess since it was two days after all the big rains. The course was not dry, but it wasn't wet either. Greens rolled great, got through there in 3 hours. The front 9, especially hole 9 beat me up again for a 42, came back through the back with a 36. The few times I've played out there my scores on both 9's have been within a stroke of each other. I have to figure out 9, I have yet to score better than a double on that hole.

We hit out Lost Marsh yesterday, amazing to see the change in two weeks, Indiana seems to be acting now like nothing ever happened (packed range, shared carts, gathering on the putting greens ect). I got through the opening stretch in -1, A few errors after led to a 76. The more I play there the more i enjoy that stretch. The holes are tough, but they're shorter (except 3) allowing you to think your way through them a bit, and three has a rather large landing area. Still don't like the Z shaped par 5. As I said earlier, Indiana seems to be back to normal, pace of play was 4:30 on a Tuesday so yeah.....

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Played first round of the year on Sunday at Spring Valley in WI. I have driven by that course hundreds of times but never played it. Langford design so I wanted to see it. Reading on the website that it’s defense was small pushed up greens. Only played nine due to time but it was pretty packed and with all the rain it was sloppy. Will go back for a full 18 holes when it’s dry to see the whole course.

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

I was looking at tee sheets for Friday, and moving to foursomes at 10 minute intervals really opens things up. I was shocked that Wilmette is charging $25 for an optional cart. That's crazy, but I guess when only single riders are allowed they'll be looking to maximize the profit.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Agreed. 9 and 10 are both most ordinary holes. 16 has issues too. Otherwise the layout is decent.

[size=3]Vapor Speed Driver
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 13* FW[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade 2017 M2 15* FW[/size]
[size=3]Cobra King Pro Forged Black CB/MB 4-PW[/size]
[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]TaylorMade TP Collection Berwick
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

"We are either all in this together or we aren't" I could not agree more. If this is OK for Blackstone, nothing wrong with opening pools, beaches, bars, etc. It is easy for us as golfers to say we think it is safe if we follow the other rules just not this one. Other courses are following the rules and losing revenue and struggling financially because they are trying to keep Illinois residents and their staff safe during a pandemic. Obviously there are plenty of rules that are a bit over the top for us that use common sense, but there are so many idiots out there that are too ignorant/stupid/selfish so anyone flaunting the rules is a sign for them to do the same. It is only a week to wait for the next Phase.

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

Suprised you'd have issues with 16, nice short par 4 with a restricted landing area. Drive-able hole potentially, not for me, but for most golfwrx'ers ;-)

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

The tee shot is all or nothing at 16. 4-iron or driver.

[size=3]Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 52/9, [/size][size=3]56/10, [/size][size=3]60/9[/size]
[size=3]BOOM![/size]

That's a heck of a 4 iron. From the tips it's 265 to the bunkers.

It definitely forces a decision.

2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

I've only played Preserve 2x, both from the Black tees, and both days were extremely windy so it was hard to gauge how to play some of those holes under normal conditions.

The first round the wind was coming out of the Southeast so #'s 4-9-16 were into a pretty good headwind. I went 3W / 4i into #9 about as well as I could and 2 putted for a par; felt like I had won a $#%&ing US Open walking off that green. The second time was nearly the opposite wind, which made #4 and #16 fun to go after and #5 and #15 shortened par 5's. However, the tight landing area on #9 just meant you dropped down a club or two and still hit basically the same club in.

That's probably the only hole on the course that I have a "problem" with. In my opinion if the fairway would open up a little bit more after the bunkers it would solve a lot of playability issues of the hole.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

That’s a better way of saying what I was trying to say. So many courses are abiding by the rules and suffering the financial issues that come with it. They are doing it as a contributor to our society, like most of us are. Why does Blackstone get to write their own rules? Why should we as a community support that? I play there 4-6 times a year but I’m sad to say I don’t think I will this year as I’d like my daily fee to go towards owners that took this seriously regardless of the financial outcomes.

• Like 1

The answer to the original question (why does Blackstone get to make its own rules?) has everything to do with location and political leanings. In 2016, Marengo had a “Hillary for Prison” sign on everyone’s lawn. It’s Fox News-level far right. Same thing in Byron, where Bear and I saw some...um...creative spellings of the governor’s last name and were also letting foursomes out with only two carts per group. Is it fair to other courses? Of course not. However, executive orders like this are basically impossible to police and people at Blackstone and Prairie View are willing to test that. Honestly, I’m surprised (and impressed) more courses haven’t already followed suit.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Planning to hit Pine Meadow tomorrow morning for a solid practice session. Hammer out a large bucket and spend a lot of time chipping and putting which has what has been adding a lot of strokes to my scores this year. Love their practice facility.

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

I don't doubt that at all. I do believe, according to this thread, in April that players were caught playing Blackstone during the full shut down, but from my impression the course was allowing them to play. I agree that I'm not in favor of them deliberately disobeying the rules, and I'm fully in favor of complying with said rules that are in place.

For the record, it was not our intention to play there because of the 4somes or as any sort of statement. We had the course on our group year long schedule well ahead of time, and when we booked my understanding was that it was for 6 separate groups for the 12 of us but I don't know for certain as I didn't make the call. I believe between when we booked and when we played was when Phase 3 was discussed, and my guess was the course made their decision to change from there as I was informed mid week that we were playing in 4s instead of 2s. We either had a choice of dropping our time and searching for 6 adjoining spots elsewhere (impossible) or play in 4somes. I'm all in favor of following rules but given our options and the 7 day difference between when rules changed I'm ok with what we did.

• Like 1

Balmoral Woods today. I got a bit unlucky with the rain. I teed off in a steady rain with full rain gear, but of course it passed by the 5th hole. By the end of the round it was quite pleasant with a few patches of blue sky, and a nice cooling breeze. As I stood on the 13th tee I saw another single in a cart on the adjacent 8th tee. Other than him I saw no other players on the course. Balmoral is a great course to walk solo.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but conditions were wet, no surprise. The rough had been cut for the most part, but there were a few spots that were just nasty. I pulled my drive on the long par 4 15th. I found my ball in what had to have been six to eight inch wet rough. I managed to find three other balls as well. Bunkers were unplayable. The greens looked fine, but were rolling 7 to 8 early in the round, and maybe 8 to 9 later.

'Had a nice round off the tee, but the course played long, and I only managed 7 greens. My scrambling was simply awful. I did manage to get a good workout carrying the clubs.

OK, what am I missing? I went to book a tee time at The Preserve on Monday, and the tee sheet is wide open. I think there's maybe one group booked all morning. Is the course under water? I don't recall ever seeing their tee sheet that open. They're offering a 10% discount online, so I booked a 9:30 am slot for $49.50. 'Not too shabby. Anybody care to join?

No judgment from me. Blackstone is a quality course. I base what courses I play on five factors: course quality, value, pace, aesthetics, and the presence of a walking rate. Once upon a time, Blackstone checked every box. Of course, that was when I could play it for $29 at twilight. Now that they’ve followed the Foxford model of selling cheap memberships and jacking up the daily rates for a 5 hour round, it’s a hard pass. But people’s political leanings don’t impact where I play or don’t play.

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

Fresh Ghettoes later this afternoon with the local dads and sons. Can't wait!

[size=3]BOOM![/size]

Happy that I was able to squeeze in 18 at Makray yesterday afternoon.

Last day of twosomes.

Didn't look good with the forecast, but despite being rained on 2-3 times on the front 9, and the course playing super soft, I was able to get in 18.

greens are in great shape there.

TM TP5x