Will there be a King Forged Tour update?

Konklifer

They've been out for two years and only available as single irons on Cobra's site. Anyone have info?

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Isn't the new Cobra CB/MB Black the replacement? Has similar blade length and similar tech with the tungsten infused weights the original one lacked.

Taylormade R510TP - Speeder 757 Sonartec NP-99 14* and 17* - NV Green 85 Nickent Genex 3DX 21* - Dynamic Gold SL Titleist 660 4-P - Dynamic Gold Cleveland 54* and 59* - Dynamic Gold Scotty Cameron Teryllium

> @phatchrisrules said:

> Isn't the new Cobra CB/MB Black the replacement? Has similar blade length and similar tech with the tungsten infused weights the original one lacked.

No. They've always had an offering that was slightly more friendly with a little bit of tech: AMP Forged, Fly Z+ Forged, King Tour Forged.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

Great question. The forged tour line is pretty awesome. Wish they would continue the lineup without the insert. One of my favorite things about that line was the low offset. The forged tech black are pretty great as well, just too much offset.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

> @calfan36 said:

> Doesn't really matter. All 3 clubs in the line are virtually identical

Far from it.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

> @wam78 said:

> Great question. The forged tour line is pretty awesome. Wish they would continue the lineup without the insert. One of my favorite things about that line was the low offset. The forged tech black are pretty great as well, just too much offset.

Same here..I was thinking Forged Tec for my 3 iron but the offset was too much of an issue.

20 bucks says they re-release them in black, or they release a Forged Tec Tour with less offset. I also think you might be seeing a hollow filled design like the 790's or PXG's coming soon. Being able to move weight around in the head (whether adjustable or with materials of different density) can be an advantage, especially in regards to single length set ups and adjusting flights... The design of the Forged Tour's is similar from gen to gen with small tweaks, mostly in weighting. I gamed a set for a little over a year and I honestly felt like they were a better AP2, they're in that design neighborhood. It's a proven design with incremental improvements over the years. Kind of like with cars, whenever a new club design is released I'm a little wary, there's something to be said for building on a solid dependable foundation. The Forged Tec's are supposed to be players Irons but the offset is off putting to most "players".

Honestly the king tour forged are about as perfect as one can get in an iron. All the forgiveness tech with the insert behind the face and the tungsten in the heel/toe...AND...surprisingly minimal offset/top-line and forged feel. They aren't compact but aren't yuge either. There really isn't any room for change without turning them into the King CB's or Forged Tech's, they literally fit right in between both of those sets. The prices they are going for right now are steals for what you are getting. I would expect them to simply change the badge again like they have been doing or release a black set but sometimes there is no reason to mess with perfection.

• Like 1
Cobra F9 TL 10.5 Atmos Black 7x
Cobra F8+ 3/4 &/or 5/6 Tour Blue 85x
Cobra F8 2H Element EarthX &/or Cobra F9 4H PX6.5
Ping I210 5-PW LZ 6.0
Ping Stealth 2.0 50/54/58 LZ 6.0

Some form of a Scotty, Betti, Spider

> @calfan36 said:

> > @Konklifer said:

> > > @calfan36 said:

> > > Doesn't really matter. All 3 clubs in the line are virtually identical

> >

> > Far from it.

>

> How are the Forged Tour different from Fly-Z to you? They literally used the same CAD file for both, told to me by an ex Cobra employee

I’m not quite sure but it seems like you guys are talking about different things. The current “line” has Forged Tec, Forged Tour, and King Pro CB/MB. All of these are different for sure.

I also agree with your statement regarding Amp Forged, FlyZ+ and Forged Tour. Have owned all 3 and have the Tours now. To my recollection (don’t have them now), I remember the Amp Forged having a bit wider sole but the FlyZ+ and the Tour seem the same profile and shape. I love the minimal offset.

• Like 1

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

> @rsh0308 said:

> > @calfan36 said:

> > > @Konklifer said:

> > > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > Doesn't really matter. All 3 clubs in the line are virtually identical

> > >

> > > Far from it.

> >

> > How are the Forged Tour different from Fly-Z to you? They literally used the same CAD file for both, told to me by an ex Cobra employee

>

> I’m not quite sure but it seems like you guys are talking about different things. The current “line” has Forged Tec, Forged Tour, and King Pro CB/MB. All of these are different for sure.

> I also agree with your statement regarding Amp Forged, FlyZ+ and Forged Tour. Have owned all 3 and have the Tours now. To my recollection (don’t have them now), I remember the Amp Forged having a bit wider sole but the FlyZ+ and the Tour seem the same profile and shape. I love the minimal offset.

Correct. I thought the reference was to the offerings in the current line. They are obviously different.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

> @Konklifer said:

> > @rsh0308 said:

> > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > @Konklifer said:

> > > > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > > Doesn't really matter. All 3 clubs in the line are virtually identical

> > > >

> > > > Far from it.

> > >

> > > How are the Forged Tour different from Fly-Z to you? They literally used the same CAD file for both, told to me by an ex Cobra employee

> >

> > I’m not quite sure but it seems like you guys are talking about different things. The current “line” has Forged Tec, Forged Tour, and King Pro CB/MB. All of these are different for sure.

> > I also agree with your statement regarding Amp Forged, FlyZ+ and Forged Tour. Have owned all 3 and have the Tours now. To my recollection (don’t have them now), I remember the Amp Forged having a bit wider sole but the FlyZ+ and the Tour seem the same profile and shape. I love the minimal offset.

>

> Correct. I thought the reference was to the offerings in the current line. They are obviously different.

No I was saying why bother with an update because it's likely to be the same club rebadged again. The Fly-Z+ to the King Forged Tour is 99% the same exact club

> @calfan36 said:

> > @Konklifer said:

> > > @rsh0308 said:

> > > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > > @Konklifer said:

> > > > > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > > > Doesn't really matter. All 3 clubs in the line are virtually identical

> > > > >

> > > > > Far from it.

> > > >

> > > > How are the Forged Tour different from Fly-Z to you? They literally used the same CAD file for both, told to me by an ex Cobra employee

> > >

> > > I’m not quite sure but it seems like you guys are talking about different things. The current “line” has Forged Tec, Forged Tour, and King Pro CB/MB. All of these are different for sure.

> > > I also agree with your statement regarding Amp Forged, FlyZ+ and Forged Tour. Have owned all 3 and have the Tours now. To my recollection (don’t have them now), I remember the Amp Forged having a bit wider sole but the FlyZ+ and the Tour seem the same profile and shape. I love the minimal offset.

> >

> > Correct. I thought the reference was to the offerings in the current line. They are obviously different.

>

> No I was saying why bother with an update because it's likely to be the same club rebadged again. The Fly-Z+ to the King Forged Tour is 99% the same exact club

They've all had incremental updates/changes. Just like iron lines across every other OEM.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

> @Konklifer said:

> > @calfan36 said:

> > > @Konklifer said:

> > > > @rsh0308 said:

> > > > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > > > @Konklifer said:

> > > > > > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > > > > Doesn't really matter. All 3 clubs in the line are virtually identical

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Far from it.

> > > > >

> > > > > How are the Forged Tour different from Fly-Z to you? They literally used the same CAD file for both, told to me by an ex Cobra employee

> > > >

> > > > I’m not quite sure but it seems like you guys are talking about different things. The current “line” has Forged Tec, Forged Tour, and King Pro CB/MB. All of these are different for sure.

> > > > I also agree with your statement regarding Amp Forged, FlyZ+ and Forged Tour. Have owned all 3 and have the Tours now. To my recollection (don’t have them now), I remember the Amp Forged having a bit wider sole but the FlyZ+ and the Tour seem the same profile and shape. I love the minimal offset.

> > >

> > > Correct. I thought the reference was to the offerings in the current line. They are obviously different.

> >

> > No I was saying why bother with an update because it's likely to be the same club rebadged again. The Fly-Z+ to the King Forged Tour is 99% the same exact club

>

> They've all had incremental updates/changes. Just like iron lines across every other OEM.

No... It isn't just like any other OEM. No other OEM has released 3 irons made from the exact same CAD file. The shape of them is IDENTICAL.

> @calfan36 said:

> > @Konklifer said:

> > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > @Konklifer said:

> > > > > @rsh0308 said:

> > > > > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > > > > @Konklifer said:

> > > > > > > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > > > > > Doesn't really matter. All 3 clubs in the line are virtually identical

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Far from it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How are the Forged Tour different from Fly-Z to you? They literally used the same CAD file for both, told to me by an ex Cobra employee

> > > > >

> > > > > I’m not quite sure but it seems like you guys are talking about different things. The current “line” has Forged Tec, Forged Tour, and King Pro CB/MB. All of these are different for sure.

> > > > > I also agree with your statement regarding Amp Forged, FlyZ+ and Forged Tour. Have owned all 3 and have the Tours now. To my recollection (don’t have them now), I remember the Amp Forged having a bit wider sole but the FlyZ+ and the Tour seem the same profile and shape. I love the minimal offset.

> > > >

> > > > Correct. I thought the reference was to the offerings in the current line. They are obviously different.

> > >

> > > No I was saying why bother with an update because it's likely to be the same club rebadged again. The Fly-Z+ to the King Forged Tour is 99% the same exact club

> >

> > They've all had incremental updates/changes. Just like iron lines across every other OEM.

>

> No... It isn't just like any other OEM. No other OEM has released 3 irons made from the exact same CAD file. The shape of them is IDENTICAL.

Why do car manufacturers put out new models every year even though a true model cycle is more like every 3-6 years? Cause people buy them.

As for the last 3 models, there are tiny changes. Not saying you’re wrong about the CAD file or whatever. The shape is clearly the same.

Sole weighting is different between Amp Forged and latest 2 models - before, the weights were weirdly placed like on the sole in from the heel and toe, now they’re out at the end. Face has milled grooves in Forged Tour. Stock shafts from factory have changed.

Point is the iron is so fricken good that I hope they don’t change it much, and honestly don’t think it can get too much better without getting too close to either the Tec model or the CB model. Change the colors and people will still buy it.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

> @rsh0308 said:

> > @calfan36 said:

> > > @Konklifer said:

> > > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > > @Konklifer said:

> > > > > > @rsh0308 said:

> > > > > > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > > > > > @Konklifer said:

> > > > > > > > > @calfan36 said:

> > > > > > > > > Doesn't really matter. All 3 clubs in the line are virtually identical

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Far from it.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > How are the Forged Tour different from Fly-Z to you? They literally used the same CAD file for both, told to me by an ex Cobra employee

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I’m not quite sure but it seems like you guys are talking about different things. The current “line” has Forged Tec, Forged Tour, and King Pro CB/MB. All of these are different for sure.

> > > > > > I also agree with your statement regarding Amp Forged, FlyZ+ and Forged Tour. Have owned all 3 and have the Tours now. To my recollection (don’t have them now), I remember the Amp Forged having a bit wider sole but the FlyZ+ and the Tour seem the same profile and shape. I love the minimal offset.

> > > > >

> > > > > Correct. I thought the reference was to the offerings in the current line. They are obviously different.

> > > >

> > > > No I was saying why bother with an update because it's likely to be the same club rebadged again. The Fly-Z+ to the King Forged Tour is 99% the same exact club

> > >

> > > They've all had incremental updates/changes. Just like iron lines across every other OEM.

> >

> > No... It isn't just like any other OEM. No other OEM has released 3 irons made from the exact same CAD file. The shape of them is IDENTICAL.

>

> Why do car manufacturers put out new models every year even though a true model cycle is more like every 3-6 years? Cause people buy them.

>

> As for the last 3 models, there are tiny changes. Not saying you’re wrong about the CAD file or whatever. The shape is clearly the same.

> Sole weighting is different between Amp Forged and latest 2 models - before, the weights were weirdly placed like on the sole in from the heel and toe, now they’re out at the end. Face has milled grooves in Forged Tour. Stock shafts from factory have changed.

>

> Point is the iron is so fricken good that I hope they don’t change it much, and honestly don’t think it can get too much better without getting too close to either the Tec model or the CB model. Change the colors and people will still buy it.

>

I agree, paint it black and call it a day. If you're looking for a higher launch low offset players iron this is one of the best.