2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I get the feeling S.H. Park is going to be a legit #1

When I got into golf, the world #1 (TW) reigned supreme. Tiger checked a ridiculous number of boxes:

Prodigious length with the driver.

Great ball-striking.

Textbook mechanics.

Fitness.

Short game skills.

Elite green reading.

Exemplary putting touch.

A strong will to win.

An icy demeanor.

Performance in the majors.

In my time watching the LPGA which began around 2010 I don't recall seeing anyone who struck me as having a real shot at being a Tiger-esque figure.

Yani certainly had power. Inbee had the competitive fire, the icy demeanor and the touch on the greens. Lydia seemed to be a more “smiley” version of Inbee with youth on her side.

It was Ariya who first got my attention. She fit the bill so well from a physical point of view. She had power. She had a swing that was mechanically sound. She certainly had great touch on the green which I’m not sure you can really teach. But there were aspects of her game that were always a bit cringe-y.

The no-driver thing is unorthodox. And she always relied immensely on her caddie for green-reading. I don't love that. Lastly, I’m not really sure how much Ariya actually likes the challenge of being the top dog. She seems much more happy-go-lucky. She seems to lack the conviction and ego of a long-term #1.

Jin Young Ko has a gorgeous swing. She’s a well-rounded player but she’s not an imposing figure. I keep forgetting about her, LOL.

Sung Hyun Park is my favorite thus far. She’s everything Ariya was but she’s traded in a bit of the putting touch for a little more self-belief and swagger. You get the sense she see’s herself as a #1 and I have to admit, I'm excited to see that. It’s been awhile since the LPGA had that (Inbee? Yani?).

Amongst the others…

Lexi has has an unorthodox swing and a clumsy putter. Hard to root for either.

Minjee strikes me as someone with potential. She’s good enough to be #1 at some point. She’s a diminutive figure that ranks high in self-belief. She has a great looking, if somewhat angular golf swing. She is a highly-focused grinder. That all sounds like Justin Rose, does it not? But she doesn’t seem to win as often as she might. Nasa is the same.

Brooke I'm not sure about. She seems very hot and cold. She's long enough off the tee but like S.Y. Kim it seems to take a really good week to vault her up the leaderboard.

Any of you quietly hoping Sung Hyun Park doesn't fade the way others have before her?

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Since Inbee and Lydia in the middle part of the decade, none of these players have had sustained success at the top. They all look unbeatable for a few months, and then someone else gets hot.

I'm not sure if SHP's putter is consistent enough to ever runaway from the pack. She also seems to have had some meltdowns / let tournaments get away (she's also come from behind more than others too).

Right now, I think there's 6-8 players that are all within spitting distance of each other. I have no idea who will do the best going forward. I think the ones that are also in the conversation based on the way they are scoring and hitting it are Lee6 and Nelly. Lee6 is not that different than JY Ko (won a lot in Korea, 1 major), Nelly is a little bit less accomplished, so you need to look out to what things may be like and take a leap of faith on these two a bit more. I don't follow the amateur/youth game enough to know who else may join them in the immediate future.

I've lowered my expectations on Minjee a bit even though she's probably may favorite player out of this group. At the start of the year I thought she had a good chance to hit #1 over the next couple of years. She still may, given the way that the rankings work (she was 1 win in a week away from doing it this year). She just doesn't seem to play her best when it matters most. Additionally, I think she may end up being more "average" distance was in a few years. That doesn't preclude her from being great if you do everything else at a very high level, but it's not a tailwind. JY Ko and Lee6 potentially face this as well.

There's also some pretty interesting streaks going among some of these players.

Lexi- won a tournament 7 years in a row. I can't find anything on the LPGA records here (at least quickly) but vs. the men's game it's an accomplishment not very many have.

Brooke - won a tournament 5 years in a row. The last 4 seasons also have multiple wins (I'd probably rank this ahead of Thompson's 7 year streak).

SHP - this is her third year with multiple wins.

Ariya 2016-2018 is fantastic. Unclear if she will keep it going (a win or multiple wins) this year.

> @GoGoErky said:

> The first thing is will she be able to maintain “dominant” play for longer than a couple years. Many who get to #1 last about 3 years and then fall back in the pack. She has a good game but on the green can be here Achilles heel

Correct.

Yani = 2010-2012

Inbee = 2013-2015

Lydia = 2014-2016

Ariya's 2016-2018 was closest of the recent players, but now she hasn't won this year yet. Ochoa has a good 4 years (2006-2009) but then retired.

Edit: Stacy Lewis also won 10 times from 2012-2014.

> @fanofseri said:

> Sung Hyun hits her 2nd shots better than anyone in Tour history. She has 14 more years to cobble together enough victories to be the next player in the HOF.

Is there some statistical analysis somewhere that shows Sung Hyun hits her 2nd shots better than anyone in Tour history? Or is it just your opinion?

Sung Hyun is 3rd in greens in regulation, so it's a bit of a stretch to call her 2nd shots the best. She is ahead of Jin Young and Nelly in putts per GIR, so it's possible her proximity to the hole is better. I'd call it a wash. 'Really wish the LPGA would hurry up with the ShotLink already.

I think it's premature to call Sung Hyun the next Tiger. Tiger was a killer with the lead. He's lost only one time in his career when holding a lead of more than one shot after 54 holes. That's simply amazing. Sung Hyun doesn't yet have that closer mentality. She doesn't look comfortable playing with the lead.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

****> @MelloYello said:

> When I got into golf, the world #1 (TW) reigned supreme. Tiger checked a ridiculous number of boxes:

>

> Prodigious length with the driver.

> Great ball-striking.

> Textbook mechanics.

> Fitness.

> Short game skills.

> Elite green reading.

> Exemplary putting touch.

> A strong will to win.

> An icy demeanor.

> Performance in the majors.

>

> In my time watching the LPGA which began around 2010 I don't recall seeing anyone who struck me as having a real shot at being a Tiger-esque figure.

>

> Yani certainly had power. Inbee had the competitive fire, the icy demeanor and the touch on the greens. Lydia seemed to be a more “smiley” version of Inbee with youth on her side.

>

> It was Ariya who first got my attention. She fit the bill so well from a physical point of view. She had power. She had a swing that was mechanically sound. She certainly had great touch on the green which I’m not sure you can really teach. But there were aspects of her game that were always a bit cringe-y.

>

> The no-driver thing is unorthodox. And she always relied immensely on her caddie for green-reading. I don't love that. Lastly, I’m not really sure how much Ariya actually likes the challenge of being the top dog. She seems much more happy-go-lucky. She seems to lack the conviction and ego of a long-term #1.

>

> Jin Young Ko has a gorgeous swing. She’s a well-rounded player but she’s not an imposing figure. I keep forgetting about her, LOL.

>

> Sung Hyun Park is my favorite thus far. She’s everything Ariya was but she’s traded in a bit of the putting touch for a little more self-belief and swagger. You get the sense she see’s herself as a #1 and I have to admit, I'm excited to see that. It’s been awhile since the LPGA had that (Inbee? Yani?).

>

> Amongst the others…

>

> Lexi has has an unorthodox swing and a clumsy putter. Hard to root for either.

>

> Minjee strikes me as someone with potential. She’s good enough to be #1 at some point. She’s a diminutive figure that ranks high in self-belief. She has a great looking, if somewhat angular golf swing. She is a highly-focused grinder. That all sounds like Justin Rose, does it not? But she doesn’t seem to win as often as she might. Nasa is the same.

>

> Brooke I'm not sure about. She seems very hot and cold. She's long enough off the tee but like S.Y. Kim it seems to take a really good week to vault her up the leaderboard.

>

> Any of you quietly hoping Sung Hyun Park doesn't fade the way others have before her?

>

It strikes me that perhaps you have experienced a bit of "confirmation bias" in your post in advocating for SHP ... regardless, she is a solid contender to be a more regular No.1. I suspect that unless the Rolex Ranking System and its methodology is reformed somewhat, then a prolonged stay at No.1 may not be in the cards again for quite a while. I do think that you will see a small cadre of players jostling for the No.1 position over the next decade and perhaps more. Of that group, and keeping in mind that such prognostications are typically the work of fools, :smiley: let me lead the way by suggesting that SHP, Araya, Brooke and Lexi will be that cadre of players with mentions of Nelly Korea should she continue developing her game. In the next 5 five years, there will undoubtedly be some younger junior players coming on to the scene that will challenge that group and the LPGA hierarchy of players. It has been mentioned a fair bit on this site already about potential up & coming contenders.

> @MelloYello said:

> Lexi has has an unorthodox swing and a clumsy putter. Hard to root for either.

>

Lexi does have an odd swing compared to most, but it works for her. Since when does domination have to be pretty? It's about getting the job done week in and week out, however you can do it. I agree about the clumsy putter,lol.

I really think if Lexi could putt inside the top 20 in putts per round she'd be next to unstoppable. Just my opinion of course.

> @ChronicSlicer said:

> Lexi does have an odd swing compared to most, but it works for her. Since when does domination have to be pretty?

I would prefer the world #1 have a more conventional motion. But IMHO, the putting it what will hold her back and it's why any period at the top would probably feel artificial, to me.

I like watching a more orthodox swing with a more natural putting touch (i.e. Ariya). To me, the game deserves that. SHP is a little unique but she's the closest thing I've yet seen to what I envision as an "ideal" #1. Just my opinion.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

> @MelloYello said:

> > @ChronicSlicer said:

> > Lexi does have an odd swing compared to most, but it works for her. Since when does domination have to be pretty?

>

> I would prefer the world #1 have a more conventional motion. But IMHO, the putting it what will hold her back and it's why any period at the top would probably feel artificial, to me.

>

> I like watching a more orthodox swing with a more natural putting touch (i.e. Ariya). To me, the game deserves that. SHP is a little unique but she's the closest thing I've yet seen to what I envision as an "ideal" #1. Just my opinion.

>

What’s traditional/orthodox? Arnie, Jack, Trevino, Hogan, Snead, Furyk, Kuch, Rahm, Wolff, and so on?

Lexi developed her swing playing with her brothers and other boys to keep up with them distance wise. I could care less what the swing looks like. I prefer to see good play. Lexi’s downside is her putting, by SH has a similar downfall. Ariya still struggles with pressure and converting her play into more wins

• Like 1

Lexi's swing is consistent. You rarely see her missing wildly. Just like Inbee's, it works for her. Now if she had Inbee's putting ability she'd be hard to stop.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

> @ChronicSlicer said:

> > @legitimategolf said:

> > but still think Ariya has the best game, even with the driverphobia.

>

> lol, driverphobia.. Wonder if she has ever put forth an honest effort in the off season to try and figure out the big stick?

She did put the driver in the bag at the KPMG. That tells me that she worked with it at some point this season. Small steps.

> @Argonne69 said:

> > @ChronicSlicer said:

> > > @legitimategolf said:

> > > but still think Ariya has the best game, even with the driverphobia.

> >

> > lol, driverphobia.. Wonder if she has ever put forth an honest effort in the off season to try and figure out the big stick?

>

> She did put the driver in the bag at the KPMG. That tells me that she worked with it at some point this season. Small steps.

>

True, but was it only because she felt she needed some extra distance? Most likely. I recall she said she gets another 10-15 with the driver, that would put her around 280-285. Master the driver, sharpen the wedge game and "Dustin Johnson" the rest of the field.

> @broadbandz said:

> > @legitimategolf said:

> > I like Sung Hyun's ambition and will to win but still think Ariya has the best game, even with the driverphobia.

>

> when did you get off the Sung Hyun train? did she snub you at a tournament?

She absolutely did snub me in ~~2015~~ 2017 at the USWO. But that's actually when I became a big fan. I'm not off the train, I just happen to like Ariya's swing.

> @broadbandz said:

> > @fanofseri said:

> > I wish Whan would give Sung Hyun & the others the chance to shoot up with steroids. Then, the LPGA might get another dominant player.

>

> If Sung Hyun got any stronger they would be carrying off fainting attack girls every tournament.

You mean they aren't already? In my defense it was really hot that day, I hadn't eaten anything, she actually signed an autograph for me, and I'm not a girl.

> @"Raving Shanker" said:

> > @OBbogey5 said:

> > For Park to be the face of the Tour, “stoic” is putting it extremely pleasantly. Unfortunately, I don’t find one once of juice with her being #1.

> I don't know this expression, "...ounce of juice...". What does it mean?

In other words, I don’t but of excitement out of her on-course personality.

> @OBbogey5 said:

> > @"Raving Shanker" said:

> > > @OBbogey5 said:

> > > For Park to be the face of the Tour, “stoic” is putting it extremely pleasantly. Unfortunately, I don’t find one once of juice with her being #1.

> > I don't know this expression, "...ounce of juice...". What does it mean?

>

> In other words, I don’t but of excitement out of her on-course personality.

>

Some people are quiet and to themselves and are focused on task at hand. Her putting us the only thing keeping her from dominating.

Watched some of the coverage yesterday, being of Korean origin myself, can I just say how gorgeous SHP's swing looks and how utterly boring her demeanor seems on the course. It does not help one bit that she asks her caddie before every shot and seems to be a very slow player. Jin-Young's win was fine, she is calm but not boring.