43 years old, 7 Hcp.

The last two coaches I’ve had have pushed me towards a neutral grip, my normal grip is weak, very similar to Hogan’s right hand grip. No matter how hard I work and successfully implement swing changes, the neutral grip leads to hooks with driver (I’ve been fitted). Weak grip is occasionally right rough but MUCH more consistent. Don’t notice a difference in distance.

One idea I had is to keep using the neutral grip in practice and in general but switch to a weak grip on course when there is trouble left off the tee.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easy answer to your problem is to keep the grip weak and play golf. Grip changes can be tough especially if you've had the same grip your entire golfing life. Tough to call exactly without seeing the swing but there is a reason two different coaches suggested the grip change. There is a mismatch with the less weak grip. Did they explain why the weak grip was creating a mechanical disadvantage in your swing? When you told them you were getting hooks with the less weak grip what was their suggestion?

My release pattern is slightly “flippy” relative to the typical single digit player. The idea is that as I progress to a better release pattern that the weak grip will lead to the ball going too far right.

But my release pattern has improved and I’m still seeing driver hooks with a neutral grip

The suggestion is to stick with it an keep working on the swing changes.

But golf needs to be fun in the meanwhile, I’m not headed for the senior tour.

This is very unconventional, but I weaken my grip more on driver/woods (probably relates more to shaft length than head type) because strengthening them makes a snap hook possible, which are far more destructive than a predictable fade tendency. Unconventional as I say, but if it's driver where it's the problem, maybe keep your weak grip for just this club.

Makes sense. Changes like that definitely require some reps and switching back and forth isn't going to help. The only suggestion I would add is that there is usually more to a grip change than just changing a "release pattern." You could take an online lesson from one of the teachers on this site and they will likely find some things that will help you with the change you're making. Or you could just play golf with what you have if you don't have the time or desire to put in the reps.

If you play the ball progressively farther back in your stance as the clubs get shorter your left hand and arm naturally pronate. You want to allow for this natural pronation at address.

As clubs get progressively shorter by 1/2 inch the ball moves back 1/2 inch to adjust for the shorter shaft. A driver off your left instep or heel would require a neutral left hand grip with the thumb at 12 o'clock or slightly right. With a wedge played in the center of your stance the left thumb will be at 2 or 2:30. For obvious reasons the right palm should match the face of the club.

• 3 months later...