Rose: 4 Majors in 4 months is bad for golf.

MMB1500

> @TMoakley1547 said:

> > @wildcatden said:

> > Well, we can't have any majors before the Masters unless we want all the people in h-e-double-hockey-sticks to freeze.

>

> This has been my thinking since I started reading this thread. If the Masters didnt have to be the first major of the year AND be the first weekend of April, they could stick the PGA in March, and back the Masters up a week or two.

The only problem with this scenario is backing up the Masters a week or two. The folks at ANGC will say "No thanks. We will continue to hold our tournament when we want to. We will welcome any of our invitees who wish to show up." Think many players will choose the PGA over the Masters?

> @MMB1500 said:

> > @pgapromex said:

> > Rose sold his soul for $$$ from Honma and now he's complaining about schedules. His stats are down strokes gained etc sorry pal you made your bed sleep in it.

>

> Sold his soul? What's wrong with Honma?

"Sold his soul" is code for "signed with an equipment company I don't like."

• Like 1

Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

PGA was foolish to buy into it.

Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

• Like 2

The PGA being the last Major has always felt like a dud. I like the new format. The Open Championship this year is far more exciting.

• Like 2

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

> @dalehead said:

> > @TMoakley1547 said:

> > > @wildcatden said:

> > > Well, we can't have any majors before the Masters unless we want all the people in h-e-double-hockey-sticks to freeze.

> >

> > This has been my thinking since I started reading this thread. If the Masters didnt have to be the first major of the year AND be the first weekend of April, they could stick the PGA in March, and back the Masters up a week or two.

>

> The only problem with this scenario is backing up the Masters a week or two. The folks at ANGC will say "No thanks. We will continue to hold our tournament when we want to. We will welcome any of our invitees who wish to show up." Think many players will choose the PGA over the Masters?

I know that would be the response from ANGC. Thats why i said if they Didnt have to have the tournament the first week of April.

I love the one major every month but it does make the other tournaments in between seems irreverent. I don’t know but i assume compared to past years more big name players are skipping the regular events between majors to prep for it.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

The PGA players and J. Rose likely know what's going on in terms of US audiences and the PGA competing with the NFL. The need to pump excitement into their product I see no problem with that whatsoever.

Some seem to be forgetting that the majors are not actually run by the PGA tour.

AN

USGA

R&A

PGA

Which of course is why their is the huge push for the PGA tour 'ship to be elevated.

I personally have zero issue with the PGA tour trying to find a way to make their product more viable.

Essentially doesn't this come down to how they're trying to appeal to us in terms of our time in front of our televisions watching commercials? What's wrong with that?

Completely agree with JR. It's hitting home now that once The Open finishes on Sunday we have pretty much a 9 month wait until we get around to The Masters again. That's way too long particularly in a year where there is no Ryder Cup to look forward to.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

> @MattyO1984 said:

> Completely agree with JR. It's hitting home now that once The Open finishes on Sunday we have pretty much a 9 month wait until we get around to The Masters again. That's way too long particularly in a year where there is no Ryder Cup to look forward to.

Yep. They are going to regret doing this. A lot of audience to lose in 9 months.

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @stanger37 said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > Amazing how much pull the NFL has. They directly have affected global sports scheduling. **Unintentionally of course,** but still, just amazes me.

> > On that same note, my mother's birthday is the 2nd week in January and we always have something going on that weekend. Well for those who are NFL fans, you know that 2nd weekend in January is a major playoff round so she always complaining that we have to plan the birthday dinner around the playoff games. "Is it really that important?" she asks. My response this year was "It's important enough that the PGA Tour rearranged their schedule so they could get out of the NFL's way."

> >

> > As for Rose's comments; I think he's arguing the wrong point. It isn't the major's and how far apart they are (That's already been well documented here as to how silly that is) I actually think it's the WGC events that are making the schedule feel more cramped than it actually is.

>

> NFL 100% on purpose makes the rest of the sports world revolve around the NFL. The other 3 sports get May and June. Other than that, NFL makes sure people have a topic to talk about the NFL year round. But I feel your pain, the wife's birthday is Feb. 1st, always right around the Superbowl.

>

> The NFL RedZone channel and Fantasy football I think is a big reason. It used to be you watch your home team play, whether they were on CBS or Fox and 12 or 3 CST. Or if there was another good game on, watch out of town game. My dad would always flip back and forth between the game and golf. Now with RedZone, you can watch football from 12-6pm without a commercial, all day long. All the exciting plays. You don't need to flip anymore and with fantasy, you have a vested interest 75% of the games.

>

> And with the amount of commercials that golf has, you can easily forget you were watching anything else if you flip during a commercial of golf, turn on football game and watch half a quarter before flipping back to golf. Chances are it is on another commercial, finish the quarter and then go back to golf..... (And Patrick Cantlay is still shuffling his feet)

^^^^ Great comments about the commercials during US golf broadcasts. I believe they've severely degraded the viewing experience.

I will however miss an August major.

> @dcmidnight said:

> Honestly I thought he sounded like a big complainer for absolutely no reason, sounded like he was trying to throw shade at the FedEx Cup. Sorry man, how did your $10M check do, did it deposit OK? Honestly I dont know what he is whining about. The last three majors of the year have ALWAYS been a month apart. So instead of being June/July/August they are now May/June/July. Shut up already.

Agreed with this, I was surprised because Rose normally isn't a whiner. They're playing for someone else's money and should be grateful for the opportunity. I do not care much for Fedex playoffs. Once Open Championship is done, I'll be more interested in NFL fantasy football.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

I watched the whole interview last night. It was even more off base than just his quotes. His comments were almost entirely about how a month in between majors isnt enough and it takes him more time and he thinks they need more time between majors. He's either forgotten - or he's ignoring to make some "point" - the fact that there has *always* been approximately one month between "major events" - the four majors and the Players.

You want more time off, you need more time off, it takes you longer to ramp up...what are you talking about? This is how its always been.

The PGA can barely get casual golfers interested in the manufactured FedEx Cup when it ended in September. No one cares once college football and the NFL get ramped up. You can hate that but its reality. IMO this was the only move to make.

The Tour Championship format is still a disaster, thats what he should be whining about.

I guess I'm in the minority but I love this format. Tour Championship in August. Football gets cranked up. There are a few Fall Season events that I like watching - and then real golf starts again in January.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> I watched the whole interview last night. It was even more off base than just his quotes. His comments were almost entirely about how a month in between majors isnt enough and it takes him more time and he thinks they need more time between majors. He's either forgotten - or he's ignoring to make some "point" - the fact that there has *always* been approximately one month between "major events" - the four majors and the Players.

>

> You want more time off, you need more time off, it takes you longer to ramp up...what are you talking about? This is how its always been.

>

> The PGA can barely get casual golfers interested in the manufactured FedEx Cup when it ended in September. No one cares once college football and the NFL get ramped up. You can hate that but its reality. IMO this was the only move to make.

>

> The Tour Championship format is still a disaster, thats what he should be whining about.

>

> I guess I'm in the minority but I love this format. Tour Championship in August. Football gets cranked up. There are a few Fall Season events that I like watching - and then real golf starts again in January.

That all depends on where you live. In the south the NFL isn’t really half a big as the north and west coast.

College football is huge here. Sure. But. Not until the summer is nearly gone. As in October. I know. I have a wife who is a world class SEC fan. We watch college football every weekend. But that’s one day . But on the flip side. We haven’t watched an NFL game in 10 years. Maybe more.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

WGC shoved in there immediately after The Open now.

I've never bought the football argument.

Now the Finchem reach around season competes head to head with the NFL in the fall basically every week and now a month + earlier than before and the tournaments are pretty much sacrificial lambs, lol.

Presidents Cup now mid-December -- hope I remember it's being played.

> @dalehead said:

> > @TMoakley1547 said:

> > > @wildcatden said:

> > > Well, we can't have any majors before the Masters unless we want all the people in h-e-double-hockey-sticks to freeze.

> >

> > This has been my thinking since I started reading this thread. If the Masters didnt have to be the first major of the year AND be the first weekend of April, they could stick the PGA in March, and back the Masters up a week or two.

>

> The only problem with this scenario is backing up the Masters a week or two. The folks at ANGC will say "No thanks. We will continue to hold our tournament when we want to. We will welcome any of our invitees who wish to show up." Think many players will choose the PGA over the Masters?

And having a major when half the country is still in cold winter conditions isn’t a good idea.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @MattyO1984 said:

> > Completely agree with JR. It's hitting home now that once The Open finishes on Sunday we have pretty much a 9 month wait until we get around to The Masters again. That's way too long particularly in a year where there is no Ryder Cup to look forward to.

>

> Yep. They are going to regret doing this. A lot of audience to lose in 9 months.

As long as we #LiveUnderPar the PGA Tour will be happy though?!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

This just seems like another bad move in a series of bad moves the tour has made. The wrap-around schedule is dumb, the playoffs aren't exciting at all, the meaningful golf is all crammed together. I used to watch every round of every tournament. This year I haven't watched anything since the US Open. I had to think hard to remember who won that. I don't remember who won any tournament played this year besides the 3 majors. I vaguely recall Phil and Kuch winning something, but I don't remember which tournaments they were.

It used to be that there was exciting golf (to me) from the first tournament of the year through the end of October (remember when the Tour Championship was the last week of October?), then a few silly season events like the skins game and skills challenge were enough to keep me interested until January. You had big prestigious tournaments at least from March until October (8 months of the year), more if you included early events like Pebble. There was enough time between big events to start building up anticipation.

I think a lot of golf fans are just golf fans and their viewing habits aren't controlled by other sports. I don't watch basketball or football (pro or college). I don't watch soccer or hockey. Rarely watch baseball anymore. I just want to see interesting golf all year long.

• Like 1

In 1995 there were 12 tournaments between the Masters and US Open, 4 between the two Opens, 6 more until the PGA, and 11 more until the Tour Championship. That feels right. The only thing off to me was just one tournament between the Players and the Masters. I would have moved the Players a couple weeks earlier if the weather allowed it.

This spacing allowed the tournaments in the middle, like Akron, Bay Hill, Memorial, and Doral to feel special too. This year they were afterthoughts.

> @Hawkeye77 said:

> Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

>

> Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

>

> PGA was foolish to buy into it.

>

> Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> @LICC said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> >

> > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> >

> > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> >

> > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

>

> How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

Well ok in that case. Flip it around. If there’s no change. Then why the change ?

To end it earlier is the answer. To end earlier. It has to either start earlier or be more compressed. Hard to not be.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > >

> > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > >

> > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > >

> > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> >

> > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

>

> Well ok in that case. Flip it around. If there’s no change. Then why the change ?

To start the big tournaments earlier in the year to thus finish the Tour Championship earlier.

> @dalehead said:

> And it's not even 4 months. 101 days from the start of the Masters to the end of the Open. Never mind the players, just from a fan perspective that's a "condensed" schedule.

Most fans love watching the Players. And from a Tour player POV, they are trying to peak for the Players pretty much the same way they try to peak for majors. I don't see any "compression" when last year we had great tournaments from April to September and this year we have great tournaments from March to August. They shortened the Fedex playoffs from four tournaments to three to deal with compression.