2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Rose: 4 Majors in 4 months is bad for golf.

MMB1500

> @bladehunter said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > >

> > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > >

> > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > >

> > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> >

> > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

>

> Well ok in that case. Flip it around. If there’s no change. Then why the change ?

>

> To end it earlier is the answer. To end earlier. It has to either start earlier or be more compressed. Hard to not be.

Ok. It starts earlier and ends earlier. Not really more compressed. So what?

> @LICC said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > > >

> > > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > > >

> > > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > > >

> > > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> > >

> > > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> >

> > Well ok in that case. Flip it around. If there’s no change. Then why the change ?

> >

> > To end it earlier is the answer. To end earlier. It has to either start earlier or be more compressed. Hard to not be.

>

> Ok. It starts earlier and ends earlier. Not really more compressed. So what?

So it sucks. Golf season in the south goes until November December. It’s just another pandering to the snow bound. Which I realize is where the money is because every one starts huddling inside in October. But it’s nuts to end a season in July. Feels to me like the masters was 3 weeks ago.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Frankly, I. Only watch the. Majors, but then again, I feel that way for all sports.

Will only tune in on the playoffs and the Super Bowl in football, every other game

Is sh^t to me . Same for Hockey, Baseball, Basketball, Etc.... Unless its significant,

Its takes to much of my time to watch it, and see those stupid boob tube commercials.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

> @bladehunter said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > > > >

> > > > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > > > >

> > > > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> > > >

> > > > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> > >

> > > Well ok in that case. Flip it around. If there’s no change. Then why the change ?

> > >

> > > To end it earlier is the answer. To end earlier. It has to either start earlier or be more compressed. Hard to not be.

> >

> > Ok. It starts earlier and ends earlier. Not really more compressed. So what?

>

> So it sucks. Golf season in the south goes until November December. It’s just another pandering to the snow bound. Which I realize is where the money is because every one starts huddling inside in October. But it’s nuts to end a season in July. Feels to me like the masters was 3 weeks ago.

It's pandering to the NFL, not to the snow bound. And you have plenty of good golf to watch after July. You have the Fedex Playoffs in August and then the President's or Ryder Cup in September/October. And every 4 years the Olympics. This schedule is based on what the market wants. If you want a major later in the year, then convince millions of golf fans to keep watching golf tournaments instead of the NFL once football season starts.

> @bladehunter said:

>But it’s nuts to end a season in July. Feels to me like the masters was 3 weeks ago.

The Tour Championship is the last full weekend in August. And its fine if you or other people dont watch the NFL but TV ratings would indicate it is still the big dog in the room and from a business standpoint, the PGA had no choice IMO. To me its just about perfect.

But I think we're off topic a bit. The fact is that Rose is complaining about the schedule being too compressed but all facts point to him being completely off base. The schedule is for all intents and purposes the exact same length and spacing - it just started a month earlier.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TBD - TM P7MC // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

> @smashdn said:

> Not a fan of the current schedule either. I don't know the correct answer but...

>

> ...If I made the golf schedule and there were no other constraints: The official PGA Tour season would start on January 1. Majors: Masters - April, US Open - June, The Open - Late July (give that urf time to dry out and brown out over there), PGA - Early September. Players is played in May. There is the "Out West Swing", ATT Pro-Am, Waste Managment, Hawaii, etc. Then you do Texas with the Houston Open the week before The Masters. Then Florida and Carolinas (AP, Harbour Town, etc.) Then you schedule around the US Open and the Tour northeast swing to Boston and Canada and mix in the Greenbrier in there. Then the John Deere ahead of The Open. Come back and hit Memphis in the heat. The Colonial (in the heat). Finish in October with the Tour Championship at AAC. Silly Season after that. Stablefords, match plays, skins, etc. At that point the TV audience has drifted off for the most part. Keep it laid back and interesting for the guys trying to go up the money list and stay in the game.

I would switch the US Open to late August, maybe even Labor Day weekend. It would be the culminating event of the year.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @bladehunter said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > > > >

> > > > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> > > >

> > > > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> > >

> > > Well ok in that case. Flip it around. If there’s no change. Then why the change ?

> > >

> > > To end it earlier is the answer. To end earlier. It has to either start earlier or be more compressed. Hard to not be.

> >

> > Ok. It starts earlier and ends earlier. Not really more compressed. So what?

>

> So it sucks. Golf season in the south goes until November December. It’s just another pandering to the snow bound. Which I realize is where the money is because every one starts huddling inside in October. But it’s nuts to end a season in July. Feels to me like the masters was 3 weeks ago.

Do you think the snowbound want to watch the players in March when they haven’t touched a club in 4 or 5 months? Now is the prime season for the northern ny and the majors are going to be over.

> @KRAMER1997 said:

> Even though I like the fact that the Open is the last major, I think the PGA Championship will be back in August pretty soon when they realize that this was a mistake in the long run and a lot of popular venues like Whistling Straits and Oak Hill will become unplayable.

They're not going back to August for the PGA.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @LICC said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Nope, they are "pandering" to the football schedule and TV ratings. Which is the unofficial religion of the southern US, last time I checked. So you've got no one to blame but yourselves.

> @garzar said:

> > @helper_monkey said:

> > I wonder if Justin, being British, understands what a juggernaut the NFL really is in terms of dominating the TV sports landscape once it starts up?

>

> No doubt. Football rules and come August nobody gives a rodent's behind about golf.

Wouldn’t say nobody. I for one would vote to disband the nfl so that it wasn’t hogging the tv on Sunday. I’d rather watch soccer than pro football. And I love football. NFL is just a joke as far as good competition goes. I’ve tried several times to watch a game. And can’t. It’s a series of 6 yard passes followed by a couple 4-5 yards runs and then finally the 2 minute warning when it all happens.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @jdl said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @LICC said:

> > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> > > > >

> > > > > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> > > >

> > > > Well ok in that case. Flip it around. If there’s no change. Then why the change ?

> > > >

> > > > To end it earlier is the answer. To end earlier. It has to either start earlier or be more compressed. Hard to not be.

> > >

> > > Ok. It starts earlier and ends earlier. Not really more compressed. So what?

> >

> > So it sucks. Golf season in the south goes until November December. It’s just another pandering to the snow bound. Which I realize is where the money is because every one starts huddling inside in October. But it’s nuts to end a season in July. Feels to me like the masters was 3 weeks ago.

>

> Nope, they are "pandering" to the football schedule and TV ratings. Which is the unofficial religion of the southern US, last time I checked. So you've got no one to blame but yourselves.

I promise you 75% of the pro football fans ( Sunday) are north of the mason Dixon.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @LICC said:

> > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> >

> > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> >

> > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> >

> > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

>

> How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

And that's why I reject all the complaining about this year's schedule out of hand.

> @bladehunter said:

> > @jdl said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > > > @LICC said:

> > > > > > > @Hawkeye77 said:

> > > > > > > Totally agree with him and been saying it for a long time - I say "welcome to the party, pal!"

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Compressed major schedule, compressed real season as a result and the effects have been seen already this year and it is all in the name of the Finchem Cup.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > PGA was foolish to buy into it.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Going to feast on The Open Championship and enjoy select Euro events for the remainder of the year.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > How is it that much more compressed? Last season, from the Masters to the Tour Championship, including the Players in May, it was 5 months and two weeks. This year, from the Players (which comes before the Masters now) to the Tour Championship, it is 5 months and one week.

> > > > >

> > > > > Well ok in that case. Flip it around. If there’s no change. Then why the change ?

> > > > >

> > > > > To end it earlier is the answer. To end earlier. It has to either start earlier or be more compressed. Hard to not be.

> > > >

> > > > Ok. It starts earlier and ends earlier. Not really more compressed. So what?

> > >

> > > So it sucks. Golf season in the south goes until November December. It’s just another pandering to the snow bound. Which I realize is where the money is because every one starts huddling inside in October. But it’s nuts to end a season in July. Feels to me like the masters was 3 weeks ago.

> >

> > Nope, they are "pandering" to the football schedule and TV ratings. Which is the unofficial religion of the southern US, last time I checked. So you've got no one to blame but yourselves.

>

> I promise you 75% of the pro football fans ( Sunday) are north of the mason Dixon.

Golf also has to face the second most popular sport, college football, on Saturdays.

Cue the SEC chants....

I watch an hour or two of golf every Sunday, this year has had the weakest fields I have ever seen. The regular events have become irrelevant. After the open there is basically nothing to look forward to. Not sure what the fix is to get more top players competing in regular events but something needs to be done. Watching regular events feels like your actually watching the Korn Ferry tour or something.

I love for one love the new schedule. The PGA was my least favorite major until this year. I found myself intrested in it since it was in may vs August. It could be due to the fact that it is ungodly hot down south in August and by that time football is revving up and that takes priority hands down. To say that 75% of football fans are from the north is outright laughable. The truth is anytime of the year you can pop on the golf channel and there is a golf tournament going on. One last thing, the 3m tournament sure was an exciting tournament for me and that was one great finish; so in my eyes great golf is being played between majors and is enjoyable to some viewers like myself.

JR seems to be rationalizing a poor finish before he even tees it up. What he won't admit is his equipment - mainly his driver- has been a burden to bear while trying to "peak" for the majors. His total driving used to be his best weapon but now it is a liability as he must play one of the toughest tee shot courses anywhere. The Honma move has backfired with his driver just like the PXG move hurt ZJ's driving. If I still believed I could win a major I would play the equipment that would help me achieve that goal. He chased the payday. But he has an Olympic gold medal - will still get into the HOF, and more money than he can ever spend. If he thinks the schedule is is too compressed he can skip one of the majors so he can save himself.

> @FredCouplesFan said:

> I watch an hour or two of golf every Sunday, this year has had the weakest fields I have ever seen. The regular events have become irrelevant. After the open there is basically nothing to look forward to. Not sure what the fix is to get more top players competing in regular events but something needs to be done. Watching regular events feels like your actually watching the Korn Ferry tour or something.

Do you have specific examples? There have always been tournaments with fewer big names than others, especially in the week before or after a major.

> @munichop said:

> JR seems to be rationalizing a poor finish before he even tees it up. What he won't admit is his equipment - mainly his driver- has been a burden to bear while trying to "peak" for the majors. His total driving used to be his best weapon but now it is a liability as he must play one of the toughest tee shot courses anywhere. The Honma move has backfired with his driver just like the PXG move hurt ZJ's driving. If I still believed I could win a major I would play the equipment that would help me achieve that goal. He chased the payday. But he has an Olympic gold medal - will still get into the HOF, and more money than he can ever spend. If he thinks the schedule is is too compressed he can skip one of the majors so he can save himself.

Having played both honma and Taylormade a lot. Trust me. He’s not playing junk. Taylormade is good. But it’s mostly marketing fluff. I know for a fact he’s playing a better set of irons and wedges than he was. And remember. His contract is only 10 clubs. He doesn’t have to play a Honma driver , he’s playing a Tm 3 wood. That tells you he’s been testing and playing what works best.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @MMB1500 said:

> Personally I agree with Rose though for other reasons, mainly that the four most important tournaments in golf are over within a third of the year. I'd rather see them spread out a bit more. Thoughts?

The FedEx cup should be eliminated or at least moved to the silly season. I would keep the new major sequence but might put six weeks between them.

The problem with Rose's comments is that the majors have been played over five months for decades with only four weeks between the US Open, PGA and British. That's not much different than four months now.

> @snizzle said:

> Many fans could care less about the FedEx playoffs but the corporations have sunk so much $ into it..

> I really don't think playoffs are necessary at all esp in an individual sport. In the NBA it's all about the playoffs/Finals/championships

True. Team sports such as the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc don't have four majors during the year. So their entire season is all about the playoffs culminating with a final two team playoff.

In golf, the playoffs are an unnecessary and distracting afterthought.

> @Roadking2003 said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > I promise you 75% of the pro football fans ( Sunday) are north of the mason Dixon.

>

> Never heard that before. What is the basis of your comment?

That it’s rare to meet a person born in the south who’s a big nfl fan. Nearly everyone you meet down here at the panthers training camp etc are transplants ... accents give it away. Panthers camp is 10 minutes from my house. I’ve never been to it. But they invade town that week or ever how long it is. It’s not half as big as game day for Clemson or USC ( the original usc ). ..

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

@bladehunter

JR is another on a long list of players whose stats got worse after an equipment deal. It reminds me of the old Apple computer ad from the 80's about the most powerful computer being the one the user can actually function with. He changed equipment for money and he is not the same driver of the golf ball now. I am sure he believed it was something he could adapt to since he is a top pro. He hasn't. He is in his late 30's. Like I said he is a HOFer already, has the gold medal etc. But golf is a game of confidence and he and ZJ don't have the same confidence with the driver that they used to. They have bigger bank accounts though and they made that choice. Just don't rationalize the results.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @rafal said:

> > I agree with him, on a related note the tournaments over the last 4 weeks have been absolutely unwatchable.

>

> If you didn't think the finish of the 3M Open was spectacular you can quit watching televised golf for good.

Who won?

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

> @gvogel said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > @rafal said:

> > > I agree with him, on a related note the tournaments over the last 4 weeks have been absolutely unwatchable.

> >

> > If you didn't think the finish of the 3M Open was spectacular you can quit watching televised golf for good.

>

> Who won?

A guy with two threads on the front page of this forum.

• Like 1